Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

5 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Is Halloween really done forever?

Nah they just did Kills and Ends. Halloween Done Forever is probably a few films into the future still 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/25/2022 at 3:20 PM, NOTW said:

Nailed it

The funny thing about this is that none of that is exaggerated. The concept for this "movie" is one of the most ridiculous in recent memory. It was was worse than "The Last Jedi". 

16 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Is Halloween really done forever?

I think they tipped off his path to return by having the young guy start to get sort of possessed by Michael Myers,
His spirit will probably take over another body - of someone who puts on his mask.

SPEAK NO EVIL is the most unsettling film I've seen since HAUNTED.
A slow burn but the pay-off is worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglegenius said:

I think they tipped off his path to return by having the young guy start to get sort of possessed by Michael Myers,
His spirit will probably take over another body - of someone who puts on his mask.

SPEAK NO EVIL is the most unsettling film I've seen since HAUNTED.
A slow burn but the pay-off is worth it.

I think I posted about this somewhere on the last few pages. This movie was tough the watch. Agreed - this was by far the most unsettling 2022 movie I’ve seen up to this point. 

• Like 2

OK.  I haven't been in here in a while so a quick run down on my October Horror viewing.  I apologize in advance, this will be a long post.  I had to use a bunch of days off before I lost them at the end of the year so...

Smile was fun.  Not particularly original and occasionally some jarringly bad dialogue but probably the best crowd reaction to a horror movie I've seen since Get Out.  They were totally into it whether it was a scare or or laugh, the movie had them, even with a 20 minute evacuation from a fire alarm.

The Retaliators was incredibly dumb but was obviously made by someone who loves horror and decided to throw a little bit of all their favorites into one movie.  I wouldn't really recommend it but it had some cool moments and ideas that could have been developed into a good movie if the didn't have ADHD and a double digit IQ.

Werewolf by Night was fun while I watched it but I can't say I've thought about it since then.  It's good.

Halloween Ends was Michael Myers as Pennywise.  I totally get why people hated it but I kind of liked it.  Not that I'm going to buy it and watch it over and over again but while I watched it, I was into it.  It just feels right that the third part of a Halloween trilogy completely pisses off the audience by not giving anything close to what they expected.  At least Myers was in this one a little.

Out There Halloween Mega Tape, the sequel to the WNUF Halloween Special.  If you saw the first one and it was your thing, you'll love the second one also.  If you grew up watching monster movies in the 80s on UHF channels like I did, the WNUF HS will be ultra nostalgia and fun.  It nails the retro look, feel, and tone with an authenticity no one else has done.  OTHMT is 90s nostalgia done right.  Both are fun and funny.

The Town That Dreaded Sundown, I guess more of a sequel than a remake, was surprisingly well done.  I should have caught that one sooner.  

Dashcam was a disappointing follow up from the maker of Host, one of my favorite recent horror movies.  Still bummed I didn't like this.

I did the 24 hour horror-thon 2 weekends back.  14 retro horror screenings non stop. Great lineup.  I guessed 4 from the clues and hated myself for missing two more by guessing the wrong version (remakes vs originals) of the same movies I guessed.  I would have won this year had I gotten them.  <_<

Dangerous Game: The Legacy Murders: Awful yet I didn't turn it off.  

Terror Train remake: I hated it but I have watched the original countless times over the years so maybe I'm just jaded.

Pearl, prequel to X: I loved it.  So fun and F'd up. I can't wait for MaXXXine.

Terrifier 2:  Fun slasher with tons of gore, usually played for irony/laughs.  There is a ton of gore but it doesn't have near the visceral impact of the gorier parts of a movie like Midsommar.  There are some fun sequences and some really funny moments but there is one scene where the director said they were shut down for covid so they kept extending a kill and upping the gore but that is what it felt like, just someone killing time by adding on and on with no real purpose to it.  2 hour 20 minute slasher movie but it didn't feel that long while watching it.

This weekend I'm seeing the Dawn of the Dead in 3D release plus 3 retro 35MM anaglyph 3D screenings of Friday the Thirteen 3D, Amityville 3D, and Jaws 3D.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I think I posted about this somewhere on the last few pages. This movie was tough the watch. Agreed - this was by far the most unsettling 2022 movie I’ve seen up to this point. 

We both did and I agree with both you and EG.  Good slow burn with a sledge hammer ending.  I still think about this one occasionally.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

We both did and I agree with both you and EG.  Good slow burn with a sledge hammer ending.  I still think about this one occasionally.

Thanks Shepard Wong!  I’ll quote the short post but I’m really looking forward to Pearl. I’ve heard nothing but good things.  Last week I saw the following:

the Barbarian - HBO MAX. I liked it a good bit. It’s not that scary but it keeps you on the edge of your seat enough and Justin Long is fantastic in it. He plays an absolute d-bag which is perfect for him. 

Population Zero - Tubi. This movie was messed up but I loved it. It’s a mockumentary movie so similar to low budget found footage, which I love. There are so many bad ones out there I will only post about the ones that are worth it. This movie is about a guy in Yosemite that murders 3 kids and somehow gets off due to a loophole in the Constitution.  Then all hell breaks loose!!  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Thanks Shepard Wong!  I’ll quote the short post but I’m really looking forward to Pearl. I’ve heard nothing but good things.  Last week I saw the following:

the Barbarian - HBO MAX. I liked it a good bit. It’s not that scary but it keeps you on the edge of your seat enough and Justin Long is fantastic in it. He plays an absolute d-bag which is perfect for him. 

Population Zero - Tubi. This movie was messed up but I loved it. It’s a mockumentary movie so similar to low budget found footage, which I love. There are so many bad ones out there I will only post about the ones that are worth it. This movie is about a guy in Yosemite that murders 3 kids and somehow gets off due to a loophole in the Constitution.  Then all hell breaks loose!!  

Nice.  Barbarian is on my list.  I've got to watch that one soon.  

Population Zero was completely off my radar.  Added to my watchlist.  Thanks!

• Like 1

HP & SW - Thanks for all the tips. I've been super busy so sometimes I'm in a hurry when I drop in here and miss some earlier postings.

You guys always have good suggestions, it helps weed out all the dreck.

Speaking of which, have u seen Bigfoot: Blood Trap on Fawesome? It's a doozy. Filmed in NJ.
Never thought I'd see Bigfoot pee in someone's mouth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

HP & SW - Thanks for all the tips. I've been super busy so sometimes I'm in a hurry when I drop in here and miss some earlier postings.

Speaking of which, have u seen Bigfoot: Blood Trap on Fawesome? It's a doozy. Filmed in NJ.

😂😂 Welp. Guess I’m missing the rest of World Series tonight fellas!

I have absolutely not seen this, but I may put it on the next time my MIL comes over to the house. 

• Haha 2

@eaglegenius I would never suggest it for anything else, because it’s a cesspool,  but you’re right. It’s difficult to find info on good horror movies outside of this thread.  The only thing I use Reddit for is horror movies in these 2 sub forums. There are a lot of good suggestions on there. 

r/horror

r/foundfootage 

Someone posted this link on there too  too which has a ton of good found footage suggestions. 

https://foundfootage.hotglue.me

16 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

Dashcam was a disappointing follow up from the maker of Host, one of my favorite recent horror movies.  Still bummed I didn't like this.

This would have been so much better if they toned the main girl down by 200%. I get she's supposed to kinda be a loose cannon but my god she was making it unbearable. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

I watched the trailer and I'm in.  Looks like I'll be downloading the fawesome app this weekend.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

This would have been so much better if they toned the main girl down by 200%. I get she's supposed to kinda be a loose cannon but my god she was making it unbearable. 

It definitely would have helped.  She was awful. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Bodies Bodies Bodies was fun enough.  Nope is a solid flick.

I almost rented Bodies the other night but decided against it.  Will check it out.

Nope needs to be watched on a BIG screen  

7 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I almost rented Bodies the other night but decided against it.  Will check it out.

Nope needs to be watched on a BIG screen  

I saw them both on the tiniest of tiny screens, on an airplane.  So I can see what your saying about Nope, yeah must have been even better at theater.  Bodies is cool watch but i wouldn't spend much money on it, more of a stream for free kinda flick.

• Like 1

might have mentioned before, but really enjoyed Deadstream on Shudder. similar style to the Evil Dead franchise with gore and laughs. Same crew did final bit in VHS99 which IMO was most enjoyable of all scenes in the movie

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 6:54 PM, hputenis said:

Had to watch it tonight after all the reviews 

image.gif.bf8e60867eb0d1dff17c0e7196ecc685.gif

• Haha 2

I don't know if anyone else saw Prey for the Devil. It did okay at the box office, I guess, pulling in $7 million. I do enjoy exorcism movies for what they are but I found it to be slightly below average, even for the style.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 7:20 PM, hputenis said:

Barbarian - HBO MAX. I liked it a good bit. It’s not that scary but it keeps you on the edge of your seat enough and Justin Long is fantastic in it. He plays an absolute d-bag which is perfect for him. 

3 hours ago, homerpat said:

Barbarian was solid. Pretty interesting changes of pace throughout story. 

My fiance jumped through the ceiling at one part of this movie. Biggest reaction I've ever seen from her during a horror movie. There were some pretty annoying "why would you do that" moments but for the most part this movie was awesome. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

My fiance jumped through the ceiling at one part of this movie. Biggest reaction I've ever seen from her during a horror movie. There were some pretty annoying "why would you do that" moments but for the most part this movie was awesome. 

I went in to this movie blind which is the way to go.  This movie completely turned on its head and went in a direction I did not expect.