EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

So why is there FO shuffling if this is considered one of our best drafts?

Mathieu snafu caused a riff.

Kidding honestly not sure, it’s strange.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My suspicion is Weidl leaving is an opportunity for Howie to make changes without ruffling feathers.

It's easy to get complacent when things are going good, but if you're thorough, you've been keeping tabs on scout performances for years and know who has been on the mark and who has shot wide.

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

TIFWIW 

🙏🏼

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

TIFWIW 

Good, he deserves it.

39 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I think McCoy's 2nd year is when I purchased his. I can't remember.  It's one or the other. I've been on a binder recently and grandma hutch hasn't let me sleep

south-park-lucky.gif

43 minutes ago, greend said:

Other teams are "bad at running" because it's not the way to win in the NFL any more. Stop acting like we're running because we want to.

Nah, most teams don’t have the OL to even try.

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

Most first time playoff teams against top defenses struggle, you do know Watson scored 7 points in his first playoff game?

Eagles weren't playoff caliber last year, with a first year QB, two first year starting WRs (Watkins had little rookie experience), a rookie RB, and a defense that couldn't slow down a decent QB.

We'll see how they look this year.

Eagles are built a lot like SF now, a big YAC WR, a big TE who threatens the seam, a power running game, speed WRs to pressure deep, an athletic OL that should excel at screens.

Sirianni shouldn't try to emulate pure passing teams, he can build an offense more like Reid's early 2000 teams with much better skill players, where you can mix in runs, screens, and deep shots to keep a defense off balance.

Can you stop going to that like it means something.  1 - I don't care what happened to Watson.  2 - I think Watson is, and has been, overrated.  I never wanted him here, so his performance is irrelevant.  

Foles' first playoff performance?  Burrow's?  Brady's? Lots of QBs have good passing games in the playoffs.  And lots of one dimensional, limited QBs get shut down in the playoffs when they can't run.  That is what happened to Hurts and this offense.  

You are right, this team wasn't playoff caliber and shouldn't have been in the playoffs.  But, you were building up how good they were offensively... but now that its inconvenient to remain consistent with that line of thinking ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - I believe that was the line you used).  So, either what they did last year was good enough to continue with it... or it wasn't, and they need to change.  So, here we are just a few pages later and you go back on the offense being good enough.  

BTW... no one is suggesting they go 'pure passing' offensively.  But, they MUST be able to pass consistently and they need to be able to do it when folks take away the run and Hurts ability to run.

33 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Refused fist bumps?

Love Embiid but not sure him winning MVP is a good thing.  Maybe not getting it will drive him harder like it did this off-season

2 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

The Eagles might have found out Casey Weidl was actively seeking other employment, and perhaps even violating a confidentiality agreement as part of a recruitment process with another organization.  Some companies are very sticky on that.

The other possibility is he was trying to get fired, like George Costanza going for that Mets job

I thought I saw someone driving around NovaCare with the Lombardi tied to their bumper.  Must have been Casey.

1 hour ago, Texas Eagle said:

The bearish to bullish shift on this team is unprecedented. A month ago people here were saying this team was 3-4 years away and going 6-11 this year.

I predicted playoffs last year. We only made it in to the new extra spot but fairly close prediction. Definitely wasnt one of the 3-4 win prediction people. I never agreed that the roster looked that bad. 

This year, I think this roster looks really damn good. 3 weaknesses though. Now, every team has weaknesses. But unfortunately ours are more like big gaping holes. 

Im going to have some faith that our defense run the way it should be (and we have personnel to do that now) will make it easier for a JAG to look like an adequate starter. And maybe Epps is ok. And maybe that other CB spot turns out ok due to the amount of competition we have there. Still think Howie does something at 1 of those positions. 

Im also going to have some hope that the offense is so built up that Hurts will be better just due to that alone. And even if he has made some minimal improvements himself those things can potentially combine for a much better offensive output this year. 

The bearish to bullish shift on this team is unprecedented. A month ago people here were saying this team was 3-4 years away and going 6-11 this year.

Happens every year for some folks.   More distance from the harsh reality of the end of the season and the hope of a new year.  It's tough to get excited for a season when you feel that the team has no hope for success.  

We got a lot better in the off-season with the additions in FA/Draft/Trades.

DAL got a lot worse. NYG and WAS are still clown shows.

There is reason for optimism as long as we don't lose sight of the ceiling for this team.

42 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

49 minutes ago, greend said:

Sounds like Howie is clearing out anyone that wouldn't high 5 him at the draft

1 hour ago, Infam said:

Didn’t think it was possible, but the way Graham spoke about Barnett, and how he didn’t want to leave like this and how he would help him..

I got a glimmer of hope back for Barnett. Even though I know it won’t take long until his penalties will annoy me like crazy again..

If Barnett just cures his penalty habits and get get 3-4 more sacks, I'd be thrilled.

3 things I'm fairly confident won't happen but would love to see happen this year:

-Hurts somehow becomes a good throwing QB

-Dillard cements himself as the starting RG

-Barnett becomes a double digit sack guy.

6 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I predicted playoffs last year. We only made it in to the new extra spot but fairly close prediction. Definitely wasnt one of the 3-4 win prediction people. I never agreed that the roster looked that bad. 

This year, I think this roster looks really damn good. 3 weaknesses though. Now, every team has weaknesses. But unfortunately ours are more like big gaping holes. 

Im going to have some faith that our defense run the way it should be (and we have personnel to do that now) will make it easier for a JAG to look like an adequate starter. And maybe Epps is ok. And maybe that other CB spot turns out ok due to the amount of competition we have there. Still think Howie does something at 1 of those positions. 

Im also going to have some hope that the offense is so built up that Hurts will be better just due to that alone. And even if he has made some minimal improvements himself those things can potentially combine for a much better offensive output this year. 

I would also add- and this is not a complaining- having 3 1sts this year could have had us feeling even that much better.

We traded pick 16. At that point, both McDuffie and Elam were both still on the board. As were Daxton Hill, and Cine.

Imagine how we would be feeling about this D if we had one of those 2 secondary positions shored up? I wasnt a big McDuffie guy but at this point we would be feeling like we had a really good zone CB prospect there. Great fit in the D. Feels like a blue chipper for this team. Id be really thrilled with Elam.

Levis

Rogers

Leary

Hall

Ward 

my favorite 5 QB prospects 

I also think Rattler gets back on track  at SC 

So many quality QBs , it’s nuts 

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

If Barnett just cures his penalty habits and get get 3-4 more sacks, I'd be thrilled.

3 things I'm fairly confident won't happen but would love to see happen this year:

Rank em, most likely to least likely to happen. 

Barnett "didn't want to leave like that" because nobody else wants him dumb arse

Like the Alshon Jeffery signing, acquiring AJ Brown makes everyone on offense better. Devonta Smith gets more looks in motion. Quez gets to be a #3, not a #2. Goedert will get more advantageous matchups. The OL is still fantastic. This offense is a QB away from greatness.

The defense has acquired 3 potential needle movers and lost nobody significant (except for maybe Steven Nelson). We'll see what CB2 and S look like come September, but there's plenty of reasons for optimism.

Just now, bpac55 said:

I think he will be amazing.

Just now, bpac55 said:

Feels to me like that is not impossible.

Just now, bpac55 said:

I think there is no way. I’m happy if he stops ruining plays with penalties.

I think Reddick and Sweat both got a good shot at double digit sacks though.

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Rank em, most likely to least likely to happen. 

Most likely- Dillard RG

Hurts/Barnett- push

Just now, Original Sin said:

Levis

Rogers

Leary

Hall

Ward 

my favorite 5 QB prospects 

I also think Rattler gets back on track  at SC 

So many quality QBs , it’s nuts 

At this time last year you were telling us about Slovis being the best in the draft. Im not blaming you for that. Im just saying, its gonna take time to bear our whether this is even a good class or not, and who are truly going to continue to rise to the top. Or who pulls a Slovis.

On paper from last year to this year

QB - Push
WR - Upgrade
RB - Push
TE - Push
OL - Upgrade (I think we have more depth and experience now from the younger guys)

DL - Upgrade
DE - Upgrade
LB - Upgrade
S - Push
CB - Push (maybe downgrade)

Coaching - I think Siriani will be upgrade this year now that he's been with the players more and not have to worry about how dumb he might sound in interviews

Archived