EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, bpac55 said:

Most likely- Dillard RG

Hurts/Barnett- push

I would agree. Though....I would argue Barnett due to surrounding talent, but the same argument could be made for Hurts. So I agree in the end with your ranks. 

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Saltpeter said:

Like the Alshon Jeffery signing, acquiring AJ Brown makes everyone on offense better. Devonta Smith gets more looks in motion. Quez gets to be a #3, not a #2. Goedert will get more advantageous matchups. The OL is still fantastic. This offense is a QB away from greatness.

The defense has acquired 3 potential needle movers and lost nobody significant (except for maybe Steven Nelson). We'll see what CB2 and S look like come September, but there's plenty of reasons for optimism.

Reagor gets cut. JJAW gets shot. 

11 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I predicted playoffs last year. We only made it in to the new extra spot but fairly close prediction. Definitely wasnt one of the 3-4 win prediction people. I never agreed that the roster looked that bad. 

This year, I think this roster looks really damn good. 3 weaknesses though. Now, every team has weaknesses. But unfortunately ours are more like big gaping holes. 

Im going to have some faith that our defense run the way it should be (and we have personnel to do that now) will make it easier for a JAG to look like an adequate starter. And maybe Epps is ok. And maybe that other CB spot turns out ok due to the amount of competition we have there. Still think Howie does something at 1 of those positions. 

Im also going to have some hope that the offense is so built up that Hurts will be better just due to that alone. And even if he has made some minimal improvements himself those things can potentially combine for a much better offensive output this year. 

That's not what I'm looking for in a QB, at all. 

1 minute ago, greend said:

Barnett "didn't want to leave like that" because nobody else wants him dumb arse

Probably true. But I respect his attitude. A lot of players would complain that they arent beloved here and would never have signed back here at all. 

Im sure Graham has a great speech about that because he spent a few years with injuries and lower production where he would talk the talk in the offseason about how it would be his best season yet, and he wouldnt back it up. It took him years and years to earn respect from the majority of the fan base. 

He probably had to do a lot of convincing, but still credit to Barnett for coming around on it. 

Just now, Infam said:

I think he will be amazing.

Feels to me like that is not impossible.

I think there is no way. I’m happy if he stops ruining plays with penalties.

I think Reddick and Sweat both got a good shot at double digit sacks though.

I honestly don't know what to think about Sweat.  He's one of my favorite young Eagles but he isn't consistent enough.  As a matter of fact, none of the Eagles DL are consistent.  Hargrave started off on a tear then vanished.  Cox plays well once every 4 games.  Sweat disappears for games on end.  

The only thing consistent was Barnett getting a penalty. 

10 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I would also add- and this is not a complaining- having 3 1sts this year could have had us feeling even that much better.

We traded pick 16. At that point, both McDuffie and Elam were both still on the board. As were Daxton Hill, and Cine.

Imagine how we would be feeling about this D if we had one of those 2 secondary positions shored up? I wasnt a big McDuffie guy but at this point we would be feeling like we had a really good zone CB prospect there. Great fit in the D. Feels like a blue chipper for this team. Id be really thrilled with Elam.

Most here agree with Roseman hedging to the future. Now I would have liked to see us really go all in this year. 

I’m still happy though because the movement didn’t just give us some security if Hurts isn’t good, it created a lot of extra value in the future. Well and my mocks are more fun with extra premium picks.. 😁

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

That's not what I'm looking for in a QB, at all. 

obviously not. But thats not what was being implied. 

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

Probably true. But I respect his attitude. A lot of players would complain that they arent beloved here and would never have signed back here at all. 

Im sure Graham has a great speech about that because he spent a few years with injuries and lower production where he would talk the talk in the offseason about how it would be his best season yet, and he wouldnt back it up. It took him years and years to earn respect from the majority of the fan base. 

He probably had to do a lot of convincing, but still credit to Barnett for coming around on it. 

Much easier to do when no other offers are coming in.

7 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

At this time last year you were telling us about Slovis being the best in the draft. Im not blaming you for that. Im just saying, its gonna take time to bear our whether this is even a good class or not, and who are truly going to continue to rise to the top. Or who pulls a Slovis.

I’m not here for anyones approval , Slovis  took a turn in the wrong direction , I can’t help that

i guess I could do 500 mocks like you do so I can say look I got one right ….just saying 

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I honestly don't know what to think about Sweat.  He's one of my favorite young Eagles but he isn't consistent enough.  As a matter of fact, none of the Eagles DL are consistent.  Hargrave started off on a tear then vanished.  Cox plays well once every 4 games.  Sweat disappears for games on end.  

The only thing consistent was Barnett getting a penalty. 

Sweat did improve year after year though. Last year he had 7.5 sacks and I think it’s possible he puts it all together this year and hits that magic double digit.

Has it been confirmed that Dillard is moving to guard?

16 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Happens every year for some folks.   More distance from the harsh reality of the end of the season and the hope of a new year.  It's tough to get excited for a season when you feel that the team has no hope for success.  

I don't think our schedule will be as easy as some are making it out to be. Lots of teams that have been rebuilding and could be difficult 

5 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Like the Alshon Jeffery signing, acquiring AJ Brown makes everyone on offense better. Devonta Smith gets more looks in motion. Quez gets to be a #3, not a #2. Goedert will get more advantageous matchups. The OL is still fantastic. This offense is a QB away from greatness.

The defense has acquired 3 potential needle movers and lost nobody significant (except for maybe Steven Nelson). We'll see what CB2 and S look like come September, but there's plenty of reasons for optimism.

Who is the backup at RT?

11 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

We got a lot better in the off-season with the additions in FA/Draft/Trades.

DAL got a lot worse. NYG and WAS are still clown shows.

There is reason for optimism as long as we don't lose sight of the ceiling for this team.

I think you need to be a little bit more objective in looking at the rest of the NFCE.  I know we hate all three teams and would love to say they are bad but the truth is:

-Dallas is the same team.  They lost Cooper but brought in James Washington who is a solid WR.  Less targets to Cooper and more for Lamb isn't a bad thing for them.  They didn't have their typical Cowboys draft where it seems like almost every pick is a good one but they still drafted some decent talent.

-Washington got better.  Opinions of Wentz aside, he's better than anyone they had last year.  He now has the most weapons he's every had in his career.  They had a solid draft, got a steal with Howell in the 5th and Chase Young comes back from him ACL.  Washington is my clear favorite to win the division.

NYG- Daniel Jones is still the QB and that's their downfall.  They had a fantastic draft, didn't overpay for any FA and Barkley is one year further removed from his ACL.  

I think the Eagles could be anywhere from Division winners to last place.

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Who is the backup at RT?

Driscoll, then Clark I’d assume.

Just now, Original Sin said:

I’m not here for anyones approval , Slovis  took a turn the wrong direction , I can’t help that

i guess I could do 500 mocks like you do I can say I got one right , just saying 

yep....you took that the wrong way. Its not a post about your accuracy. Thats been proven what it is over the years. It was a post about how the QB ratings change drastically pre-season to draft season. Its fairly unpredictable. 

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Has it been confirmed that Dillard is moving to guard?

I don't think our schedule will be as easy as some are making it out to be. Lots of teams that have been rebuilding and could be difficult 

Who is the backup at RT?

He's not moving to Guard, they are going to give him some work there and see how it goes (probably very badly).

Clark is backup RT, unless they switch Mailata to RT and have Dillard play LT

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

Sweat did improve year after year though. Last year he had 7.5 sacks and I think it’s possible he puts it all together this year and hits that magic double digit.

I hope he can put it together this year as well.  Last year he had multiple streaks of 2 games without a sack, then 4 games without a sack.  I know there's more to his game than sacks but the end game for DE still lies with sack numbers.  I want him to put it together and be one of the answers at DE.

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I think you need to be a little bit more objective in looking at the rest of the NFCE.  I know we hate all three teams and would love to say they are bad but the truth is:

-Dallas is the same team.  They lost Cooper but brought in James Washington who is a solid WR.  Less targets to Cooper and more for Lamb isn't a bad thing for them.  They didn't have their typical Cowboys draft where it seems like almost every pick is a good one but they still drafted some decent talent.

They lost on defense too, and I think they did get way worse.

-Washington got better.  Opinions of Wentz aside, he's better than anyone they had last year.  He now has the most weapons he's every had in his career.  They had a solid draft, got a steal with Howell in the 5th and Chase Young comes back from him ACL.  Washington is my clear favorite to win the division.

With Wentz? Hahaha.. 😂

NYG- Daniel Jones is still the QB and that's their downfall.  They had a fantastic draft, didn't overpay for any FA and Barkley is one year further removed from his ACL.  

Giants got better. I think they got a long road ahead, but unlike last year all the applause is more than hot air.

We win this Division!

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He's not moving to Guard, they are going to give him some work there and see how it goes (probably very badly).

Clark is backup RT, unless they switch Mailata to RT and have Dillard play LT

They used Driscoll there over Clark until they needed him inside though..

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I'll give some pushback on this.

-Dallas is not the same. No Cooper + Gallup ACL tear - Wilson. Also lost Gregory and some other ok players/depth. Their D is also likely to have some form of regression from the previous year. It would be very hard to Diggs to replicate the amount of turnovers he had last year. 

-Washington got better, but still lost Scherff which is big. They are one of those teams you just throw your shoulders up and shrug. They will be either good or terrible. I expected their D to be a lot better last year than it was. 

- NYG will be better by losing Gettleman/Judge alone. But are a good 2 years away from being anything to be concerned about. 

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

They used Driscoll there over Clark until they needed him inside though..

Yea, I didn't think about Driscoll. I guess it'll depend on what happens with the G situation. I'm not trusting Seumalo at this point to play a full season. 

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

@LeanMeanGM @TorontoEagle @Alphagrand

You win in the playoffs and win titles passing the ball.

The top 10 teams in the NFL in rushing had a combined playoff record of 3-7 and 3 did not qualify for the playoffs.

The top 10 passing teams in the NFL had a combined playoff record of 11-8 and 1 did not qualify for the playoffs.  Both Super Bowl teams were top 10 in passing yards as well as the AFCCG Chiefs.  None of those three were top 10 in rushing.   They ranked 16, 23, 25.

The top 10 teams in total offense had a 10-6 total record and two did not make the playoffs.  Of the 8 teams that made the playoffs, 4 of them were only top 10 in passing yards, and they had a 7-3 combined record.  The 3 teams that were top 10 in total offense and both passing and running yards had a 1-3 record.

In regards to passing attempts, 7 of the top 10 made the playoffs.  5 of the top 10 in rushing attempts made the playoffs.  I could go through the records, but I think you have had enough today.

What this tells me is you are more likely to win in the playoffs if you are a predominantly passing offense.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Here is some more for you @austinfan, run pass ratio.

Rams ranked 24th, Bengals ranked 14th

Chiefs ranked 28th, 49ers ranked 4th

Bucs ranked 32nd, Bills ranked 23rd, Packers ranked 17th, Titans ranked 2nd

@austinfan, do you not have a response to this ??  You gonna go with the lame "gotcha post" to dodge answering ?

10 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

I lol'd...I missed the "fantasy" part at first.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'll give some pushback on this.

-Dallas is not the same. No Cooper + Gallup ACL tear - Wilson. Also lost Gregory and some other ok players/depth. Their D is also likely to have some form of regression from the previous year. It would be very hard to Diggs to replicate the amount of turnovers he had last year. 

-Washington got better, but still lost Scherff which is big. They are one of those teams you just throw your shoulders up and shrug. They will be either good or terrible. I expected their D to be a lot better last year than it was. 

- NYG will be better by losing Gettleman/Judge alone. But are a good 2 years away from being anything to be concerned about. 

Gallup will be fine.   Just like Jameson Williams talk pre-draft, ACL tears aren't what they used to be.  He's on track to start the year.  The Cowboys lost Randy Gregory but replaced him with Dante Fowler who had pretty much the same production for the Falcons last year and is 2 years younger.  I look for him to have a big year.  He's got tons of talent and is going to be surrounded by a very good DL.  Wouldn't surprise me to see him hit 8+ sacks.

In the draft they added some question marks who can prove to be steals in Sam Williams and Damone Clark.  They also added Jake Ferguson who will be a terrific TE2 to go with Dalton Schultz.  

I don't think they lost nearly as much as it appears.  Connor Williams, Keanu Neal and Damontae Kazee are their big losses.  Malik Hooker played more as they year went on and he can step up at safety.  They also get Jabril Cox back from his knee injury and he's going to be a player.  

Washington's defense might be overrated but I still look at the talent on the team and think they win the East.

NYG not there yet but are not the Giants of old and the Giants almost always give the Eagles a fight.

Archived