EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

My last non-QB critique of the Eagles before the curtain goes up on the season: this team lacks star power.  They covered the holes.  

We don't have anyone on defense that offenses will game plan around.  We don't have anyone on offense that can take over a game that you force the ball to.  OL is critical, but it's also the only unit on the team with sure-fire pro-bowler(s).  

In 2017 Cox was really the only guy on defense that offenses game planned against, he was a game wrecker 

On offense they didn't really have any " Stars"

Ertz was really good but not really a game breaker.

But top to bottom they had a pretty good roster, lots of guys that year performed over expectations can't think of anyone on that roster that performed below expectations???

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I wish there was some middle ground. I don’t think doing 2 a days with pads for most of training camp is the answer either, but I do think it helps with soft tissue injuries getting their bodies used to the hitting. However it probably also leads to more season ending issues.  It was clear last year that they weren’t prepared to start the season with all of the egregious penalties, and I think they would have benefited a lot more if they at least played some of these inexperienced starters in preseason games. 

Maybe they are getting more and more reps in practice?
https://cbs58.com/news/how-to-avoid-soft-tissue-injuries-according-to-experts

11 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

I was going to say the same thing. If Brown isn't one of those players, how many of those caliber of players are there? Like 5 maybe

For that contract Brown better be that player

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

For that contract Brown better be that player

I agree. He's a heck of a player. Probably not quite a top 5-10ish weapon in the league, but certainly in that group right after that.

1 minute ago, schuy7 said:

I agree. He's a heck of a player. Probably not quite a top 5-10ish weapon in the league, but certainly in that group right after that.

I’d say conservatively he’s at least in the conversation for a top-10 WR in the league, and he has proven to be efficient with limited targets but also able to take over games. He bullied the Niners last year. 

12 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I’d say conservatively he’s at least in the conversation for a top-10 WR in the league, and he has proven to be efficient with limited targets but also able to take over games. He bullied the Niners last year. 

bullied is the key to watching film on Brown. The Birds have not had a receiver who could beat up dbs since TO. Now they do and this will help the Smith, a slightly built route runner on the other side. I think the combo of Brown's physicality, Smith's route running, Watkin's speed and Goedert is a one that will be hard to plan against. What is the 1 thing, Belichick game plan theory, that a team is going to take away? If it were me I would stick with taking away the 1 side of the field that Hurts can throw to. If Hurts shows better distribution in his passes, I will book it as improvement on his part and the offense should be formidable given the OL's ability to support a run game.  

38 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

My last non-QB critique of the Eagles before the curtain goes up on the season: this team lacks star power.  They covered the holes.  

We don't have anyone on defense that offenses will game plan around.  We don't have anyone on offense that can take over a game that you force the ball to.  OL is critical, but it's also the only unit on the team with sure-fire pro-bowler(s).  

How many star defensive players are really left at all? It’s not like it was 20, even 10 years ago. And of the defensive players who can take over a game, it’s really just D-Lineman. There’s not the star safety or MLB power there used to be. Presumably because you can’t tee off and clobber offensive players like you used to. Maybe there will be another Ed Reed, one day. 

Then offense - yeah I agree there’s no real star game breaker. AJ Brown is good but he’s no TO. Smith is a better version of Maclin but he doesn’t have elite speed, hands, and is built more like a long distance runner than a football player. Goedert is good but certainly not a Kelce and has inconsistent hands. Sanders has shown game breaker ability but needs better hands. 

Either way, without a star at QB, it’s almost irrelevant. 

17 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

How many star defensive players are really left at all? It’s not like it was 20, even 10 years ago. And of the defensive players who can take over a game, it’s really just D-Lineman. There’s not the star safety or MLB power there used to be. Presumably because you can’t tee off and clobber offensive players like you used to. Maybe there will be another Ed Reed, one day. 

Then offense - yeah I agree there’s no real star game breaker. AJ Brown is good but he’s no TO. Smith is a better version of Maclin but he doesn’t have elite speed, hands, and is built more like a long distance runner than a football player. Goedert is good but certainly not a Kelce and has inconsistent hands. Sanders has shown game breaker ability but needs better hands. 

Either way, without a star at QB, it’s almost irrelevant. 

IMO, a better comp is a young DeAndre Hopkins. Maclin was a very average receiver in all categories. Smith appears to be outstanding in a few and, again my opinion, route running is the single most important quality in an NFL receiver. 

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

That's been one of my gripes for some time.  

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

That's been one of my gripes for some time.  

Thats where the DE comes in but Reddick could be that guy

the lack of playmaking at lb and safety is a problem

2 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Thats where the DE comes in but Reddick could be that guy

the lack of playmaking at lb and safety is a problem

I might be alone in this thinking but my excitement level for Reddick is low until Gannon shows us he knows how to use him.  No question of his talent, it's the scheme.

Guest justrelax
4 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

We could be running a harder camp in TB complaining about losing Jensen and Stinnie for the season, and Hainsey being injured for the second time in 3 preseason games.  That OL is banged up to the point it could sewer their season.

Exactly right. Also, congrats on using sewer as a verb. Never occurred to me and I like it.

4 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

We could be running a harder camp in TB complaining about losing Jensen and Stinnie for the season, and Hainsey being injured for the second time in 3 preseason games.  That OL is banged up to the point it could sewer their season.

Guys also just get hurt.  Is there any proof that their "hard" practice caused the injuries?   

For me it's a everything.  No OTA's, hardly any minicamps, light TC practice and starters not playing in the games....it's a super soft approach.  

23 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

IMO, a better comp is a young DeAndre Hopkins. Maclin was a very average receiver in all categories. Smith appears to be outstanding in a few and, again my opinion, route running is the single most important quality in an NFL receiver. 

Maclin, at his best, was better than average. 

3 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Maclin, at his best, was better than average. 

wawawawawawawawawwawawaw

DeVonta Smith is already a better WR than Maclin was for much of his career outside of his one huge Chip Kelly season.  Their careers won't be comparable.  

23 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I might be alone in this thinking but my excitement level for Reddick is low until Gannon shows us he knows how to use him.  No question of his talent, it's the scheme.

Gannon doesn't blitz, and rushing the passer is Reddick's biggest strength so that move was honestly a headscratcher by the FO.

Just now, RememberTheKoy said:

DeVonta Smith is already a better WR than Maclin was for much of his career outside of his one huge Chip Kelly season.  

Yeah. The reason Maclin put up better numbers that year is he had a real QB in Foles. Not this run first college QB. 

Just now, EaglePhan1986 said:

Yeah. The reason Maclin put up better numbers that year is he had a real QB in Foles. Not this run first college QB. 

Foles only played half that season.  The other half was with Mark Sanchez.  

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

DeVonta Smith is already a better WR than Maclin was for much of his career outside of his one huge Chip Kelly season.  Their careers won't be comparable.  

his talent will be wasted until the eagles get someone to throw him the ball, so will Brown, Godert, and whoever else is there

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Foles only played half that season.  The other half was with Mark Sanchez.  

Haha. Knew that was going to be your response. So Sanchez was a better than Hurts… not good. 

Just now, EaglePhan1986 said:

Haha. Knew that was going to be your response. So Sanchez was a better than Hurts… not good. 

you got him, stupid

Archived