Last Of Us 2 - Out NOW

opengeo

I hope it doesn’t snow and show snow on the ground through the whole game. Getting flashbacks to the lame start of RDR2 here. 

Yoooo!!! They got my man Billy Riggins from Friday night lights in here!!!

I think I finished Seattle day 3 

basically Abby gets the drop on me and then the game shifts to 

a 4 year ago Abby flashback followed by Seattle day 1 playing as her... interesting twist in storytelling!

Okay, this game is long af. I’m just closing in on 20 hours played and I might be at the 60-75% mark from what I can tell. 

• Like 1

I stopped at 22.5 hours tonight... I imagine I still have a decent bit of game still remaining 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, opengeo said:

I just saw that cut scene and...gulp...wow. 

this describes much of the game :lol: 

Assuming you aren't over 20 hours in like me, chances are I've seen it so we can get all inception and discuss it a spoiler within a spoiler

8 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

this describes much of the game :lol: 

Assuming you aren't over 20 hours in like me, chances are I've seen it so we can get all inception and discuss it a spoiler within a spoiler

‘The’ scene that drives the game. Roughly 2 hours in. I’m still wayyyy at the beginning. Just got to Seattle. No more snow. Yay. 

Just now, opengeo said:

‘The’ scene that drives the game. 2:30 in. I’m still wayyyy at the beginning. Just got to Seattle. No more snow. Yay. 

Seattle is very green

Big spoiler... don’t read if you don’t want to know a major plot point...

Obviously Joel had it coming, but that was definitely a shocker and i’m not happy about his death or that they made Ellie/us watch it. Really gruesome. In the end though, Joel has murdered many and had blood all over his hands. Gutsy move by ND. 

The LGBT stuff is overkill imo, but I’m open minded about that and it’s fine broadly. They virtue signaled a tad at the beginning with the bigoted dude at the dinner, but otherwise it’s just part of the story. Whatever. 

13 minutes ago, opengeo said:

Big spoiler... don’t read if you don’t want to know a major plot point...

Hide contents

Obviously Joel had it coming, but that was definitely a shocker and i’m not happy about his death or that they made Ellie/us watch it. Really gruesome. In the end though, Joel has murdered many and had blood all over his hands. Gutsy move by ND. 

The LGBT stuff is overkill imo, but I’m open minded about that and it’s fine broadly. They virtue signaled a tad at the beginning with the bigoted dude at the dinner, but otherwise it’s just part of the story. Whatever. 

you have a lot of

other unexpected story moments and narrative decisions you weren't expecting to look forward to still

• Like 1

I’m at the 26 hour mark and it feels like I’m starting a new game. This is wild. 

• Like 1

Just got trophy "High Caliber” which is *find all weapons*. 9.6% very rare which makes me think I’m in the 90th percentile of making progress through this game. 

27:21 to reach "roll credits” 

51% of trophies on first playthrough 

Not reading thread because don't want to get spoiled again. Just got through the first big part

Spoiler

After seeing online that Joel died I was pissed because I felt it was gonna take away the reaction when I got to that part. My reaction didn't happen until Tommy came to the door

Damn. That was a Fed up way to go. I was curious what they were going to do with her character when you first play her. I had a feeling she was going to end up an enemy though. I'm curious on the connection. I wonder if one of the fireflies that Joel killed was someone close to her

I'm curious on if I should have waited until PS5. I'm not real impressed with the graphics even with a 4K

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Agent23 said:

27:21 to reach "roll credits” 

What difficulty did you play on? And did you even bother looking for any extras or side stuff ? I'm just asking cause if you just went straight through on the easiest setting and didn't really try any side stuff it could be a 40hr game? 

On a scale of 1-10 how SJWy is the game?  I was thinking about picking it up but don't want a SJW experience.

7 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

What difficulty did you play on? And did you even bother looking for any extras or side stuff ? I'm just asking cause if you just went straight through on the easiest setting and didn't really try any side stuff it could be a 40hr game? 

played on moderate, which is the default setting (I guess their version of "normal"). Early on the game felt like it was providing plenty of ammo and resources for crafting, but the back 1/3 or so ammo began feeling a bit scarce though crafting resources never felt very scarce.

I replayed TLOU1 (albeit on New Game +, still on "normal" difficulty) about 2 weeks ago and burned through that in what felt like under 10 hours (still regularly scavenging for supplies), but I know the story beats and enemy encounter sections well at this point, so there's an advantage.

The sequel easily feels like 2.5 times the length of storytelling and 2.5 lengths the gameplay/maps/regions you make your way through. Everything I saw online in the past couple weeks looks like they were advertising 25-30 hours for gameplay (based on difficulty and/or scavenging). Not sure where you heard 40? I have photos of my resulting stats that I'll edit and post in a sec since the location names alone could give away spoilers. 

9 minutes ago, rambo said:

On a scale of 1-10 how SJWy is the game?  I was thinking about picking it up but don't want a SJW experience.

Maybe a 2, if that? Pretty sure the couple things that get introduced in the game are basically just glossed over and anything beyond that literally has to be people just making up their own decision of what it is. (Example: 90% of 70s and 80s rock bands all had long hair, so made up ish I'm talking about would be people saying all those rockers are transgender chicks because "why else would they have long hair like a girl!") 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rambo said:

I know a response like this risks getting flamed, but it sounds like you should hold off from what I read. That said I didn't play yet. 

This is mostly about pt. 1 but hits the nail on the head re: Neil Druckmann and this story, I thought.  This references ND admitting to his agenda of wanting strong female lesbian characters who aren't sexualized. He literally mentions an "agenda." So if that's gonna irritate you throughout, maybe stay away: 

• Like 1

Okay marked up pics I took last night of my chapter progress (note: their may or may not be chapters where there are not any collectibles/etc to be found) 

76353946-0526-4236-9539-FE034E3A7405.jpeg

0F880839-AEB4-4D04-BF17-5621AF206D6A.jpeg

28F54AC0-75D9-4565-8876-2FA82A09EE8D.jpeg

E57E7CA8-8736-4094-9C5F-A815E3F041B8.jpeg

CA3EF854-563B-408D-A5B0-40B751338F29.jpeg

063B337D-2B8C-4095-A789-FA4520F3FCE2.jpeg

0B3C714D-3904-4FDA-B663-BAD0E5EF8F0D.jpeg

A1F4555C-796F-452F-B050-690D5EF968E4.jpeg

68B5DFFD-B9DD-4F84-B6DB-7BC08828DBED.jpeg

9 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Not reading thread because don't want to get spoiled again. Just got through the first big part

Reveal hidden contents

After seeing online that Joel died I was pissed because I felt it was gonna take away the reaction when I got to that part. My reaction didn't happen until Tommy came to the door

Damn. That was a Fed up way to go. I was curious what they were going to do with her character when you first play her. I had a feeling she was going to end up an enemy though. I'm curious on the connection. I wonder if one of the fireflies that Joel killed was someone close to her

I'm curious on if I should have waited until PS5. I'm not real impressed with the graphics even with a 4K

spoilers below specific to your post

I didn't see/hear anything about the game other than the official trailers for it and the gameplay/game footage naughtydog/playstation has released publicly themselves, so the Joel stuff was all new to me. I was super confused when waking up in the cabin as the other girl, and took me a second to realize it wasn't Ellie. When her and the other guy were doing their hike and talking, nothing about it made me think they were referring to Joel, so until the scene where Joel goes "y'all sound like you've heard of us or something", I wasn't even expecting things to go south the way they did.

What I will say is the way the story is structured and information is provided to us as the viewer throughout is well done IMO and very reminiscent of how movies and TV shows provide us information throughout. Example: the guy and girl KNOW they are looking for Joel. They KNOW why they are out near Jackson. If you and I were in their shoes, we'd say "do you think he's down there?", not "do you think Joel is down there", so it plays out much more true to life and avoids the traditional exposition that bad writing/storytelling often uses as a crutch. That aspect of the story design/director choices I enjoyed and gave the game a unique experience on a first time play through. 

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

Not sure where you heard 40?

I didn't hear 40 anywhere lol. I was just asking could it be that long if you spent more time scavenging doing some side stuff on a harder level? I based that off of not knowing how you were playing and thinking you were just powering through the story to get it done. 

40 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I didn't hear 40 anywhere lol. I was just asking could it be that long if you spent more time scavenging doing some side stuff on a harder level? I based that off of not knowing how you were playing and thinking you were just powering through the story to get it done. 

I mean if you wanted to try to walk on every accessible surface and play around with photo mode and locate all sorts of cool view and try to find the best angles and all that to capture images, in conjunction with that hardest difficulty, I could see maybe squeezing 40 hours.

Or a 25-30 playthrough plus however long to go back through to go after that platinum trophy and you probably hit 40 hours that way too. 

• Like 1