Last Of Us 2 - Out NOW

opengeo

LIGHT SPOILER...I have not finished the game yet, but did run into something pertinent to the earlier posts about the SJW stuff

Spoiler

Possible trans kid...That's the first thing I've seen, so far, that may be construed as out of the ordinary...So if that does, like, offend you, then I get it. I'm meh on it, but whatevz.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

LIGHT SPOILER...I have not finished the game yet, but did run into something pertinent to the earlier posts about the SJW stuff

Hide contents

Possible trans kid...That's the first thing I've seen, so far, that may be construed as out of the ordinary...So if that does, like, offend you, then I get it. I'm meh on it, but whatevz.

there is more depth to that characters circumstances that flesh out the predicament they find themselves in

3 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Reveal hidden contents

there is more depth to that characters circumstances that flesh out the predicament they find themselves in

Completely unrelated: 

Spoiler

F that Ratking boss fight in the hospital basement...F it straight to hell in all of it's mouths.

12 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

Completely unrelated: 

Hide contents

F that Ratking boss fight in the hospital basement...F it straight to hell in all of it's mouths.

after seeking the medical supplies and starting the generator? Only fight that took me like 6-7 times to beat

• Like 1

Easily had to have made over $300M.. as in MILLY!!! I know my copy was $160ish by itself. 

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

Reveal hidden contents

after seeking the medical supplies and starting the generator? Only fight that took me like 6-7 times to beat

Spoiler

Yep...It kept spawning me in a corner with that fat f right in front of me each time! I was FINALLY able to dodge past him at one point. That was some intense ish.

2 hours ago, jrsu37 said:
  Hide contents

Yep...It kept spawning me in a corner with that fat f right in front of me each time! I was FINALLY able to dodge past him at one point. That was some intense ish.

I had him AND some split-off stalker mFer that were just pushing in me sheet. Also my weapon load out was NOT ideal for that battle, so I'm sprinting and hiding so that I can hold square to swap out different weapons and reload them... after that any time I picked up ammo I was reloading its associated weapon

:lol:

At an encounter with stalkers right now. One of the most immersively scary experiences I’ve ever had in a game. A little over 12 hours in. 

Finished it Sat morn...Daaaaaaaaaaang what a ride. Game left me emotionally, and physically, tired. Such a great ride.

I feel they drug it out a bit there, but man that last encounter was fun. I want to start another play through, but I need a break before diving right back into that hellscape. 

Also @opengeo

Spoiler

You're 100% right on the dude in the beginning that calls Ellie a dyke or something to that effect when she and Deena kiss. I hadn't seen that cutscene before until you reach it in game. So to append my previous comments, that section was blatantly an anti gay person being offended, and there being an argument over it. No matter your view, that part was a legit confrontation so your point there stands. I concede that point willingly. 

Also for those who have fin the game, or are close: 

Spoiler

How did everyone receive the Abby timeline? I really just didn't like her...I think Owen was the more interesting character of that group. He and Manny. I just wanted Abby dead. I didn't care at all about her, and I think they drug out her whole part of the game. Minor gripe though as it was needed for the story. I did enjoy just letting the clickers eat me when playing as Abby 🙂

• Like 1

Now I’m fighting these whistling people on my way to the hospital. I feel like i am being systematically hunted. The AI can be very good in this game. 

I’d even say these last 2 hours of gameplay have been the most immersive I’ve ever experienced in a game. It’s incredible. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

Finished it Sat morn...Daaaaaaaaaaang what a ride. Game left me emotionally, and physically, tired. Such a great ride.

I feel they drug it out a bit there, but man that last encounter was fun. I want to start another play through, but I need a break before diving right back into that hellscape. 

Also @opengeo

Hide contents

You're 100% right on the dude in the beginning that calls Ellie a dyke or something to that effect when she and Deena kiss. I hadn't seen that cutscene before until you reach it in game. So to append my previous comments, that section was blatantly an anti gay person being offended, and there being an argument over it. No matter your view, that part was a legit confrontation so your point there stands. I concede that point willingly. 

Also for those who have fin the game, or are close: 

Hide contents

How did everyone receive the Abby timeline? I really just didn't like her...I think Owen was the more interesting character of that group. He and Manny. I just wanted Abby dead. I didn't care at all about her, and I think they drug out her whole part of the game. Minor gripe though as it was needed for the story. I did enjoy just letting the clickers eat me when playing as Abby 🙂

to address your finishing the game

When you first jump to Abby in the lodge waking up outside of Jackson... I didn't realize it was different at first and was like "Ellie looks slightly off".... but I commented earlier that them NOT mentioning Joel made perfect sense because they know who they are looking for and things like "he's hiding down in that town" is a great way at them sending us a misdirect as the player, but not doing it in a cheap way. Then, Joel and Tommy sincerely bump into Abby and are trying to help her. With the snow and heavy horde volume they probably can't get "hours" back to Jackson, and she mentions the Lodge... everyone in the WLF group is there to kill Joel, but I think it's clear from the rest of the game most all of them are good people. Many of them are kind of disgusted by what Abby did to Joel and only a few of them seem to want to kill Ellie and Tommy too. I don't think the group had any idea Joel was who he is and 100% wanted to help them.

Also, while we playing as Joel (or Ellie) have killed HUNDREDS of people and single-handled taken out groups of like 10 enemies all at once... in real life Tommy and Joel being outnumbered with that group of like a dozen people at the Lodge are NOT getting out of there. The people were kind/sincere and the right play is probably to offer them entry to the city to stock up on supplies instead of being rude/suspicious in behavior which is more likely to have that group turn on them. The BEST part though is on a replay. When Joel and Tommy save Abby (I think after she squeezes past a collapsing fence (and she is scared sheetless), Tommy asks her name and says something like "I'm Tommy and this here is my brother Joel". While she does NOT show her hand... she HAS to know this is her guy. Which explains why when everyone else is friendly and she already has the sawed off shotty ready to attack Joel. She even has a convo with Owen when she makes it back to the lodge where he says something like "holy sheet are you lucky" and her response is "you have no idea"... a line that goes unnoticed on a first playthrough but on a repeat (where you have heard Tommy introduce himself and Joel during the infected escape) jumps out like OH SHHEEEEETTTT!!!!

Then playing with her again as a teen (first coil, saving Zebra) and seeing the Utah hospital and the freed zoo animals is kind of an "ohhhhh sheet!!" moment as well... I think I probably made the connection that her father was one of the people killed by Joel at that point... but I don't remember if I knew right then he was the main surgeon. (also, re-watched Friday Night Lights about a month ago and IMMEDIATELY recognized the FACE and the voice as Billy Riggins when Jerry is introduced to us)

I know walking dead has used Negan as a way of being like "if we watched this show from the beginning from Negan's perspective... would Rick and his group be considered the bad guys?!?" and the WHOAAA!!!! switch BACK to Seattle Day 1 (which a small number of movies and TV shows have executed brilliantly)... you really begin to learn, mixed with the other flashbacks, that Abby and Owen were good people doing right in the world and Joel came in and just wiped out their entire community. NOW, not sure if you read my spoiler before, but i commented on game 1 when Ellie runs away and Joel is trying to convince Tommy to take her to the Fireflies. He tells Tommy that he can drop her off and collect the whole payment for himself... a payment that was meant to be bringing her to the State House in BOSTON, not all the way to Utah (by way of Eastern Colorado). 

Then when Joel delivers her, Marlene and Co decide to kill the girl (which was nice seeing that discussion happen in the new game), Marlene basically kicks Joel out... WITH NO PAYMENT!!!!! and tells the soldier to shoot him if he does anything.... so while Joel was "in the wrong" in his own way... Marlene and/or the Fireflies giving my man the raw deal when he brought that girl 2000 miles to them kind of brought their executions on themselves.

Also, California Ellie getting bit by the Clicker was a fun touch.... like she's immune but does that wear off? Have infected mutated or changed to where spores don't hurt her but she hasn't been bit since 6ish years earlier... that was another moment of "is this like teh HIV where it mutates and she gon die?!?" I liked how the fat bad guy who I recognize from like TV/movies but don't know his name commented on her bite (and gave her the info on where to find Abby because Ellie was a dead woman in his eyes) and how even the prisoners she freed at the compound someone also noticed and commented on the bite

Lastly.... they make the empty house save for Ellie's personal items seem to dramatic and what not, but this house is easily in commutable distance to Jackson where Dina's parents live so her and Tommy and Maria and baby are all clearly there. It's not like Ellie showed back up and the whole community just vanished with no trace. 

21 hours ago, opengeo said:

Now I’m fighting these whistling people on my way to the hospital. I feel like i am being systematically hunted. The AI can be very good in this game. 

SCARS!!!!!

• Like 1

I dig it @Agent23 I would argue though 

Spoiler

That Abby isn't clarified as a good person. Hell even Mel calls her a POS. I get her revenge move, and I love how it was all done, I just didn't enjoy playing as her, or really enjoy her as a character. Which is NOT a gripe as I found the game just f'ing amazing. I wasn't a huge fan of Henry in the first one, but his part was minimal. 

I agree also that the Fireflies didn't do a good job of explaining ANYTHING to Joel about the situation so I mean...I still don't blame him for saving her, and they didn't really give him any other choice but to waste them.

Loved when he told Ellie that he would do it all over again even know knowing she wanted the opposite. 

6 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

I dig it @Agent23 I would argue though 

Hide contents

That Abby isn't clarified as a good person. Hell even Mel calls her a POS. I get her revenge move, and I love how it was all done, I just didn't enjoy playing as her, or really enjoy her as a character. Which is NOT a gripe as I found the game just f'ing amazing. I wasn't a huge fan of Henry in the first one, but his part was minimal. 

I agree also that the Fireflies didn't do a good job of explaining ANYTHING to Joel about the situation so I mean...I still don't blame him for saving her, and they didn't really give him any other choice but to waste them.

Loved when he told Ellie that he would do it all over again even know knowing she wanted the opposite. 

your last quote

For a Texas guy, that was his ONLY time I recall any God talk from him in 2 games. He said something like "if God gave me the chance to go back... I'd do it all over again"

Also, all the Fbois on the internet played through his death and nothing else and bished about the game wasting their favorite character a couple hours into the game. There was SOOO much flashback materials with him that was SOOO much more effective that present/future-tense versions of him would have been. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

your last quote

Hide contents

For a Texas guy, that was his ONLY time I recall any God talk from him in 2 games. He said something like "if God gave me the chance to go back... I'd do it all over again"

Also, all the Fbois on the internet played through his death and nothing else and bished about the game wasting their favorite character a couple hours into the game. There was SOOO much flashback materials with him that was SOOO much more effective that present/future-tense versions of him would have been. 

Agree 100%...One of my fav things about Joel, Ellie, Tommy, and the new group, is that people are gray areas, not black or white/ good or bad. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 10:47 AM, jrsu37 said:

Agree 100%...One of my fav things about Joel, Ellie, Tommy, and the new group, is that people are gray areas, not black or white/ good or bad. 

One thing I realized the other day..Tess, Marlene, Ellie, Maria... I think that is 100% of all females in the first game (not counting Sarah... and maybe the FEDRA soldiers who capture/scan Tess/Joel/Ellie had a chick)... but the hundreds and hundreds of people you encounter and kill are ALLLLL dudes. Like even the cannibals don't seem to have any poosey that they eat. Just a bunch of sausage.

The sequel does a much better job of not painting the post-apocalypse as being 99% dudes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

One thing I realized the other day..Tess, Marlene, Ellie, Maria... I think that is 100% of all females in the first game (not counting Sarah... and maybe the FEDRA soldiers who capture/scan Tess/Joel/Ellie had a chick)... but the hundreds and hundreds of people you encounter and kill are ALLLLL dudes. Like even the cannibals don't seem to have any poosey that they eat. Just a bunch of sausage.

The sequel does a much better job of not painting the post-apocalypse as being 99% dudes. 

You're right...IDK if I ever even picked up on that before. I'm going to play through both again immediately f it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, opengeo said:

Just started Seattle Day 3. Such a great game. 

Bro u about to get in the ****!

U lucky duck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

Bro u about to get in the ****!

U lucky duck.

What is so challenging (that he can’t read) 

IS THE MOTHERF’IN SEATTLE DAY 3s!!! I THOUGHT I WAS BEING ALL SLICK POSTING A "Seattle Day #” completed, thoughts below... and then the SECOND "Seattle Day 1” happened... and no longer could I post content here any more 

• Like 2

On 7/2/2020 at 10:29 PM, Agent23 said:

What is so challenging (that he can’t read) 

Hide contents

IS THE MOTHERF’IN SEATTLE DAY 3s!!! I THOUGHT I WAS BEING ALL SLICK POSTING A "Seattle Day #” completed, thoughts below... and then the SECOND "Seattle Day 1” happened... and no longer could I post content here any more 

Just got to this part. Welp. And i thought i was close to done. Hour 17. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 6:37 AM, opengeo said:

Just got to this part. Welp. And i thought i was close to done. Hour 17. 

Get some bourbon ready...It gets way darker.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

Get some bourbon ready...It gets way darker.

and still has MANNNNNNNNNNNY hours left!

On 6/29/2020 at 12:58 PM, opengeo said:

I’d even say these last 2 hours of gameplay have been the most immersive I’ve ever experienced in a game. It’s incredible. 

"Immersive" is 100% the word to describe this experience. General review on gameplay thus far, not really spoilerish but just to be safe:

A little too scavenger hunt-y  throughout so far, and not enough interacting with enemies/gun fights, but that makes the times that you do find yourself in those situations that much more stressful and engaging. 'Quality over quantity' feels like is a thing with this game. In regards to those battles that pop up over time, you don't experience them a whole lot but when you do they are masterful. But then to look it at the other way, there are way too many crafting items and ammo through the first part, and I'm constantly having to continue on and leave it behind, bc my gun chambers are full due to playing more steathily/not using as many molotovs, not using my crafted mele weapons. My scissors craft spot for example is almost always full. Just a minor annoyance. Next play through I will empty the chamber a lot more than I have.

• Like 1

Also I am up to Seattle Day 2 - The Seraphites , at 15 hours played. I'm assuming I'm the slowest person to play this game? Or is this kinda on track w everyone else who has completed?

• Like 1