Jalen Hurts discussion (Part 2) - see new topic for contract extension

VaBeach_Eagle

12 hours ago, Nivraga said:

Ever occur to you that maybe Hurts agent is waiting on the Burrow, Herbert deals? It takes 2 sides in agreement to get a deal done.

Definitely possible, but the impetus is more on the Eagles and Hurts given he has no 5th year option. Hopefully Hurts and his agent are keen to get it done quickly!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Definitely possible, but the impetus is more on the Eagles and Hurts given he has no 5th year option. Hopefully Hurts and his agent are keen to get it done quickly!

Why would his agent want to get it done quickly other than to make you happy? Waiting for the other qbs to get their mega deals so she can say "we want and deserve more than that” is the obvious smart play from an agents standpoint. 

33 minutes ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

Why would his agent want to get it done quickly other than to make you happy? Waiting for the other qbs to get their mega deals so she can say "we want and deserve more than that” is the obvious smart play from an agents standpoint. 

Because who knows when they extend Burrow or Herbert. The Bengals and Chargers both have an extra year to play with.

I don’t believe Hurts or his agent will take a lowball deal, but I do believe Hurts will want to help the team within reason.

He has only been paid second round wages, if the Eagles come to him with 180-200 million dollars guaranteed and 45-50 million a year, I think they would both listen.

It strange how last season so many people wanted anyone but Jalen to the point of wanting to trade numerous draft picks and paying those guys insane dollars to replace Jalen. There were reports that the Eagles even inquired about some of these guys. Most of them pretty much failed last season also. With that being the case last season people wanted to spare no expense to replace Jalen, now think Jalen should be paid less or take less money to help the Eagles. I don’t really get this logic. Why do we suddenly want to pay less money to Jalen who is younger and proved he’s a better option than all those guys many wanted before the season started? Also this whole idea that Jalen making less will help the team well I’m not buying that, because he just went up against a 45 million dollar a year guy who lost his best wide receiver because of the cap, and they beat the Eagles. On top of this the bigger issue isn’t Jalen’s contract, rather it is how the Eagles are paying a quarterback’s wage in dead cap money to a lot of bad football players. That is Howie’s issue and not Jalen’s. It should not be Jalen’s responsibility to bail Howie out from his cap and drafting mistakes. We shouldn’t be expecting Jalen to take less money. We should be expecting Howie to do a better job of drafting the talent and to stop giving longer contracts to older players. 

11 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It strange how last season so many people wanted anyone but Jalen to the point of wanting to trade numerous draft picks and paying those guys insane dollars to replace Jalen. There were reports that the Eagles even inquired about some of these guys. Most of them pretty much failed last season also. With that being the case last season people wanted to spare no expense to replace Jalen, now think Jalen should be paid less or take less money to help the Eagles. I don’t really get this logic. Why do we suddenly want to pay less money to Jalen who is younger and proved he’s a better option than all those guys many wanted before the season started? Also this whole idea that Jalen making less will help the team well I’m not buying that, because he just went up against a 45 million dollar a year guy who lost his best wide receiver because of the cap, and they beat the Eagles. On top of this the bigger issue isn’t Jalen’s contract, rather it is how the Eagles are paying a quarterback’s wage in dead cap money to a lot of bad football players. That is Howie’s issue and not Jalen’s. It should not be Jalen’s responsibility to bail Howie out from his cap and drafting mistakes. We shouldn’t be expecting Jalen to take less money. We should be expecting Howie to do a better job of drafting the talent and to stop giving longer contracts to older players. 

Like everything there is a balance. I have been a supporter of Jalen for a long time and if you go back on this board in the off-season, I was often fighting a lone battle against the guys who said he couldn’t play.

But he talks so much about winning and championships and I believe him. But if he holds out for a Deshaun Watson style fully guaranteed deal, then yes it will hurt the Eagles. There are ways in which he can get a huge deal, but help the Eagles surround him with talent.

So I hope they come to a deal that works for him and the Eagles.

Anyone but Jalen was such a mental illness around here  we got Carson Strong hype 🤣🤣🤣

9 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Like everything there is a balance. I have been a supporter of Jalen for a long time and if you go back on this board in the off-season, I was often fighting a lone battle against the guys who said he couldn’t play.

But he talks so much about winning and championships and I believe him. But if he holds out for a Deshaun Watson style fully guaranteed deal, then yes it will hurt the Eagles. There are ways in which he can get a huge deal, but help the Eagles surround him with talent.

So I hope they come to a deal that works for him and the Eagles.

Whatever they agree upon will work for both parties, because that’s usually what a contract amounts to in the end. The thing is taking less (assumed) money doesn’t mean Howie surrounds Jalen with the right players to help him win. The Eagles extended Alshon Jeffery after giving him a one year deal. Did that help them win? The reason why Howie had to trade for Brown was due to the fact Howie whiffed on drafting the WR position multiple times. Do you realize that Howie had to give up draft capital and now possibly a big contract to CJGJ is due to the fact KeVon Wallace can’t play? How about needing to bring in Kazir White, because Devon Taylor wasn’t even good enough to make an NFL roster. Speaking of Taylor he’s just one more Howie mistake that’s on his pile of dead cap money. The balance here is simple. Howie has to do his job way better than he has in the past. The Eagles can’t afford to keep missing on players. Frankly if Jalen is getting 45 or 50 mil, that 5 mil difference isn’t going to load the Eagles up with more talent and there’s no way Jalen is taking significantly less than the likes of someone like Herbert who he’s basically out performed. Daniel Jones thinks he’s a 45 mil a year guy. Jalen is much better than him and there’s no way Jalen is going to be lower than the 40 mil price range. Again this is not enough money to fill the roster the way people think. Howie has to do that with better draft selections and savvy free agent pickups. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Whatever they agree upon will work for both parties, because that’s usually what a contract amounts to in the end. The thing is taking less (assumed) money doesn’t mean Howie surrounds Jalen with the right players to help him win. The Eagles extended Alshon Jeffery after giving him a one year deal. Did that help them win? The reason why Howie had to trade for Brown was due to the fact Howie whiffed on drafting the WR position multiple times. Do you realize that Howie had to give up draft capital and now possibly a big contract to CJGJ is due to the fact KeVon Wallace can’t play? How about needing to bring in Kazir White, because Devon Taylor wasn’t even good enough to make an NFL roster. Speaking of Taylor he’s just one more Howie mistake that’s on his pile of dead cap money. The balance here is simple. Howie has to do his job way better than he has in the past. The Eagles can’t afford to keep missing on players. Frankly if Jalen is getting 45 or 50 mil, that 5 mil difference isn’t going to load the Eagles up with more talent and there’s no way Jalen is taking significantly less than the likes of someone like Herbert who he’s basically out performed. Daniel Jones thinks he’s a 45 mil a year guy. Jalen is much better than him and there’s no way Jalen is going to be lower than the 40 mil price range. Again this is not enough money to fill the roster the way people think. Howie has to do that with better draft selections and savvy free agent pickups. 

Absolutely Howie has to do a good job. People flip pretty wildly on Howie. My view is that he is an average drafter, good with free agent contracts and probably the best in the league on trades. Overall a good to very good GM.

He has had some great drafts and some very poor ones. Difficult to rate 2020. For Hurts alone it was probably a good draft.

I think his issue on D is ignoring it in early rounds of the draft. Wallace is not good and Taylor is a bust, but if you look around where they were drafted (compensatory 3rd and 4th), you won’t find many productive starters.

Hurts is perfectly within his rights to ask for 5 years 250 million, fully guaranteed. That would hurt the Eagles.

If however he took a deal of say 6 years 280 million with 180 guaranteed that would give the Eagles a lot more flexibility.

7 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Absolutely Howie has to do a good job. People flip pretty wildly on Howie. My view is that he is an average drafter, good with free agent contracts and probably the best in the league on trades. Overall a good to very good GM.

He has had some great drafts and some very poor ones. Difficult to rate 2020. For Hurts alone it was probably a good draft.

I think his issue on D is ignoring it in early rounds of the draft. Wallace is not good and Taylor is a bust, but if you look around where they were drafted (compensatory 3rd and 4th), you won’t find many productive starters.

Hurts is perfectly within his rights to ask for 5 years 250 million, fully guaranteed. That would hurt the Eagles.

If however he took a deal of say 6 years 280 million with 180 guaranteed that would give the Eagles a lot more flexibility.

Ultimately I don’t think Jalen taking less gives the Eagles the cap space necessary as some might think. The better move is for Howie to structure a contract to where the big numbers do not kick in until after 2024 when the Eagles are in a better cap situation. It’s certainly doable just like Watson’s contract where he spent so many games suspended, but lost hardly any money due to how the contract was structured. Cap manipulation is probably the best chance for any kind of real money saving. Regardless it’s up to Howie to make the right moves and it’s not Jalen’s responsibility to make up for Howie’s previous contract choices. 

On 3/1/2023 at 4:33 PM, The Holy Vagabond said:

True. But also true for all the other agents. Someone will have to start and Rosemans record suggests he usually gets things done faster than others.

It's actually going to be really interesting to see what happens with this contract. On the one hand we know Hurts is driven by success and wants to win. I think there's a good chance if it were up to him that he'd sign a team friendly deal. Still a lot a lot of money but a team friendly deal. But his agent is going to want to push towards a league setting type deal and all the other QBs waiting for contracts will want Hurts to do the same. 

On 3/1/2023 at 8:46 PM, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Anyone but Jalen was such a mental illness around here  we got Carson Strong hype 🤣🤣🤣

There were a few that wanted literally anyone else lol. 

On 3/2/2023 at 4:42 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's actually going to be really interesting to see what happens with this contract. On the one hand we know Hurts is driven by success and wants to win. I think there's a good chance if it were up to him that he'd sign a team friendly deal. Still a lot a lot of money but a team friendly deal. But his agent is going to want to push towards a league setting type deal and all the other QBs waiting for contracts will want Hurts to do the same. 

The friendliest thing Hurts could do is to backload his contract freeing the Eagles to make some moves. The thing is Howie has to bring his A+ drafting game. Can’t have a bunch of development players right now. These picks need to be starters. How long has it been since the Eagles drafted a legit defensive starter? It doesn’t really matter how much Hurts does or doesn’t leave on the table. At most it’s one more additional player or it’s a few middling level players. Howie has to not overthink this one. Draft the best player available especially for the defense. The Eagles need starters and not projects especially for the defense. 

Is there a hurts trade market?  What do you think it would take to pry him away?

5 hours ago, DieselEagle said:

Is there a hurts trade market?  What do you think it would take to pry him away?

TorontoEagle is the only one who can answer this dilemma 

13 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

TorontoEagle is the only one who can answer this dilemma 

Nahhh, it's more likely that question will also confuse him.

21 hours ago, DieselEagle said:

Yes, and a lot.

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

Yes, and a lot.

We can compare factors to Lamar Jackson:

LJ won an MVP, but Jalen has been much more relevant recently and is younger. He just had one of the best games of his career in the Super Bowl, and even with his nicks and bruises has actually managed to finished each of the last 2 seasons.

Jalen has a much more preferable attitude, actually has a competent agent, and is by all accounts not making absurd contract demands. 

If Lamar is expected to command at least 2 firsts, I’d imagine Jalen could fetch that and then some.

Daniel Jones just got $195 million over 4 years…

Jalen Hurts might get over $60 mil/ year.

7 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

If using just Jones as a reference, Hurts should get 75 million lmao

30 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

Saw 4 for 160. Jalen should be more, but fairly close to that. 

The Eagles should just pay what they have to for a top QB.  It is what it is and is fair to Hurts.  If Hurts then wants to play the restructure game to help the team get weapons later on, so be it.  

2 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

The Eagles, under no circumstance, should be giving Hurts over 60/year off of one season. I don't care how great he played. That's foolishness.

54 minutes ago, Swoop said:

The Eagles, under no circumstance, should be giving Hurts over 60/year off of one season. I don't care how great he played. That's foolishness.

I'd like to think the front office has learned a lesson from the Wentz debacle. This deal is going to have the future in mind.

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

Has Daniel Jones even had one year? Cuz he just got almost $49mil/year… that’s not all guaranteed, but I think a lot of posters around here need to start preparing themselves for a larger number than is being talked about for Hurts.

What’s our next option? See if Richardson or Levis fall to #10, pick them and let Hurts walk after next season?

The way the qb market is going, that may have to be done to keep an overall solid roster and not dumping 1/4 of the salary cap into one player. I’m a Hurts supporter, but the qb contracts are getting a little out of balance in my opinion.

Archived