Jalen Hurts discussion (Part 2) - see new topic for contract extension

VaBeach_Eagle

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Who can you really compare Jalen to? Just stating that all of this talk about home discounts and taking less money is nonsense. He’s at least getting what Jones got or more. 

He's absolutely getting more than Jones.  Their contracts won't be close.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

He's absolutely getting more than Jones.  Their contracts won't be close.

Either way it is not as important as what Howie does with draft assets and free agent signing. I don’t know what Jalen’s number would be and I’m using Jones as a floor number to again state the idea that Jalen is giving some kind of hometown discount isn’t going to happen. Overall it doesn’t matter if Jalen’s getting 45 or 60mil, because Howie has to build the team regardless. 

15 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Who can you really compare Jalen to? Just stating that all of this talk about home discounts and taking less money is nonsense. He’s at least getting what Jones got or more. 

Agreed. I think the only way he takes per year equal to Daniel Jones is if it’s fully guaranteed and for more years…

19 hours ago, Nivraga said:

a 3 year deal is bad for the Eagles cap situation. But Hurts agent wants to revisit the market while Hurts is still ascending or at least at his peak.

So you either offer him top dollar AAV on a long term contract a la Mahomes, or you offer him performance based escalators over the length of the contract for example if he averages this much yardage per year and this many TD's from 23-25,  Annual money rises to $x million from 26-28 and guarantees commensurately or similar.

20 hours ago, Nivraga said:

a 3 year deal is bad for the Eagles cap situation. But Hurts agent wants to revisit the market while Hurts is still ascending or at least at his peak.

Sounds like adding performance incentives to void years in the contract would be attractive to Hurts then?

Those guys will figure it out.

It is crazy that QB salaries in 2023 can be as high as 20-25 percent of your entire team cap. NFL Should range QB Salaries .. lower , so that the rest of the team salaries are more ..balanced/fair. Every player salary should be based on ROI-return on investment. Instead of having these monster contracts in the beginning, money gets divided at the end of each year based on contributions to the team. SAME amount of cap money! No more, no less for the players on the entire team...but just divided based on contribution and not promises. Owners get their cut. Players get their cut. Good players are compensated. Non performing players do not. It makes so much logical sense, that I do not think this will ever happen in reality. Too many people are invested in the old system...starting with lawyers, and agents. 

4 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

It is crazy that QB salaries in 2023 can be as high as 20-25 percent of your entire team cap. NFL Should range QB Salaries .. lower , so that the rest of the team salaries are more ..balanced/fair. Every player salary should be based on ROI-return on investment. Instead of having these monster contracts in the beginning, money gets divided at the end of each year based on contributions to the team. SAME amount of cap money! No more, no less for the players on the entire team...but just divided based on contribution and not promises. Owners get their cut. Players get their cut. Good players are compensated. Non performing players do not. It makes so much logical sense, that I do not think this will ever happen in reality. Too many people are invested in the old system...starting with lawyers, and agents. 

You'd need the players union to step up and demand it. You'd think they'd have the numbers considering non-QBs vs QBs voting, but the players aren't exactly the brightest bulbs. 

Y’all trying to turn the ultimate team sport into 53 individuals?

This is a terrible idea.

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

2 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

You'd need the players union to step up and demand it. You'd think they'd have the numbers considering non-QBs vs QBs voting, but the players aren't exactly the brightest bulbs. 

17 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

It doesn't work like that though does it, if a WR has 1200yds 14 TD's one year with Tom Brady then only 950yds 7 TD's the next year with Ryan Tannehill, who is responsible for the drop in yardage and TD's?  Is Tannehill to blame if he's been sacked 50 times behind a horrible O Line?  What if the WR played the top 10 rated corners this year after getting mid round rookies and journeymen the previous year?  How do you quantify it?

I'll accept that the link between QB performance v salary is made problematic with Daniel Jones getting near Aaron Rodgers money for Jason Campbell performance but your model would be impossible to administer effectively.

20 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Sounds like a perfect league for players like TO.  

This would make the NFL a me first league where players start working for themselves, and not helping others.  WR block for a "competing" WR?  Nope.

Not sure what the answer is, but in a league where several teams are always desperate for a QB, there seems to be no end.

Fo9I49QX0AIChln?format=jpg&name=900x900

(Jalen 2022 Season will always be remember in Eagles History)

One Month Later and I'm still very sad about how this great team was so close and let it slip away in the final game of the season.  The Silver Lining is knowing Jalen left everything out there on that sloppy slippery flied.   Makes me feel very confident in our future.   I've only watched the game again one time just to analyze it a little more.   In the end, the Eagles Literally beat themselves.   Again I have not hate for Andy, Pat, Travis or the Chiefs.   They've dominated for the last 5 years for a reason.  But we were the better team on that Field but two really bad mistakes ended up costing us.   Now we've already lost several players and two coordinators.     I don't know what the future holds but as long as Jalen is under center, we've got a shot again.   The NFC has gone through a complete reset it's all mostly youngins.   Jalen is already coming into next season as one of the best QB's in the League not just the NFC.   We still have a long way to go but I knew we would lose people.  It happens after every season especially a Super Bowl Season.   Overall I'm proud of Jalen and this Team for last Season and can't wait for him to return in 6 months.   Enjoy the Offseason Jalen and get ready for the Blockbuster Sequel.   

KBYWSJD54FA2PKXK2TOPPFSK4Y.jpg

Year 1 as a Starter - Playoffs.  Year 2 - Super Bowl Appearance.  Nobody said the Journey would be easy.   Now let's continue to elevate. 

5 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It doesn't work like that though does it, if a WR has 1200yds 14 TD's one year with Tom Brady then only 950yds 7 TD's the next year with Ryan Tannehill, who is responsible for the drop in yardage and TD's?  Is Tannehill to blame if he's been sacked 50 times behind a horrible O Line?  What if the WR played the top 10 rated corners this year after getting mid round rookies and journeymen the previous year?  How do you quantify it?

I'll accept that the link between QB performance v salary is made problematic with Daniel Jones getting near Aaron Rodgers money for Jason Campbell performance but your model would be impossible to administer effectively.

Reality of Life and common sense generally do not travel on the same paths. I stoped believing that it ever will, long time ago. Still Sometimes I have these "that's not fair" flashes. But I get over it quickly. 

2 hours ago, Vee said:

Sounds like a perfect league for players like TO.  

This would make the NFL a me first league where players start working for themselves, and not helping others.  WR block for a "competing" WR?  Nope.

Not sure what the answer is, but in a league where several teams are always desperate for a QB, there seems to be no end.

After reading how you describe it....perhaps it would make the game more interesting. LOL

How are the Eagles bringing all these people back if they’re signing Hurts too? Must be planning to resign him during next season? 

33 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

How are the Eagles bringing all these people back if they’re signing Hurts too? Must be planning to resign him during next season? 

It won’t cost much to extend hurts. Just 1/5th of his signing bonus. He’ll still be on his rookie deal in 2023 even with an extension

11 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The year they gave Cox a $100m contract Howie signed everyone else first.  It made it easier to then structure one big deal around the cap, rather than make one big deal first then try to make all the other deals fit.  I suppose he's doing that with Hurts. 

You know Howie talks to these agents and has a plan, he is the master at looking at the contract structures and cap situation long term and figuring it out.  I honestly don't know why anyone worries about this, we know they'll extend Hurts.  Howie's trying to keep some free agents at the moment.

11 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

If anything the cap situation next year is worse,  Brown, Mailata, Goedert, Reddick and Sweat all go from ~$7-8million dollar cap hits this year to north of $15million cap hits next year (Brown goes from $8.3million to $28million). I'll bet you a dollar to a sack of horseshit that Bradberry is on a tiny salary this year too.

Howie is betting the farm on getting it over the hump this year, because next year will be cloth cutting and restructuring.

11 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

It won’t cost much to extend hurts. Just 1/5th of his signing bonus. He’ll still be on his rookie deal in 2023 even with an extension

13 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If anything the cap situation next year is worse,  Brown, Mailata, Goedert, Reddick and Sweat all go from ~$7-8million dollar cap hits this year to north of $15million cap hits next year (Brown goes from $8.3million to $28million). I'll bet you a dollar to a sack of horseshit that Bradberry is on a tiny salary this year too.

Howie is betting the farm on getting it over the hump this year, because next year will be cloth cutting and restructuring.

52 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The year they gave Cox a $100m contract Howie signed everyone else first.  It made it easier to then structure one big deal around the cap, rather than make one big deal first then try to make all the other deals fit.  I suppose he's doing that with Hurts. 

You know Howie talks to these agents and has a plan, he is the master at looking at the contract structures and cap situation long term and figuring it out.  I honestly don't know why anyone worries about this, we know they'll extend Hurts.  Howie's trying to keep some free agents at the moment.

Before FA started the Eagles supposedly only had six mil in cap space, yet they shelled out almost 30 mil on three guys on one year deals. Lol just stating all this talk about the cap is crazy, because it doesn’t make a lot of sense. Maybe it’s all just funny money but it seems like a huge difference from giving Cox 100mil to giving a quarterback 300-400 mil at least. 

Imagine if some people had their way and the Eagles traded for Aaron Rodgers and how bad that would have ended up? Looks like this dude is literally following in Brett Favre’s footsteps. Where to next Minnesota?

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Imagine if some people had their way and the Eagles traded for Aaron Rodgers and how bad that would have ended up? Looks like this dude is literally following in Brett Favre’s footsteps. Where to next Minnesota?

Not anything against Jalen, but Rodgers would have absolutely killed it in this offense

1 minute ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Not anything against Jalen, but Rodgers would have absolutely killed it in this offense

More like he would have killed this offense, because almost none of the move we had made could have been made with him in it. On top of that he would have spent his off-season in some dark room contemplating retirement. 

8 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Probably have 5k yds and set all kinds of records

38 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Yeah I was just thinking DeVonta would have had 130 catches. Aaron would have thrown plenty to AJ over the top but he would have loved DeVonta.

6 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

6 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

5 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Yeah I was just thinking DeVonta would have had 130 catches. Aaron would have thrown plenty to AJ over the top but he would have loved DeVonta.

Rodgers now has 18 years of NFL experience, 15 as a starter (or 4 EMB rookie years). We certainly had a good team around the QB on offense last season, but passing wasn't a problem. We had one of the NFL's top QBs last season and Rodgers was behind him on all lists, statistical or analytical.  With Rodgers, were we going to be behind for a large part of most games? I'm asking because I'm just wondering where all these extra passing yards are coming from

Archived