EMB Blog: 2023 Offseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

If they promote from within for OC, they need to go outside for DC. Too much of the same ingredient spoils the soup.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

A Magic 8 ball would have been better in the SB

Yup he was pretty bad, he wasn't helped at all by a field that totally negated his 4 man rush.

No one should be surprised that Gannon was out coached against one of the best offensive minds (Reid). 

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

The Eagles knew Gannon was close to being hired last year, so they had to have been prepared for this. Hopefully they had names lined up and aren't just making the Wilson promotion out of "loyalty"

I love Sirianni, but I get overly loyal vibes from him. I don't think he's going to fire Michael Clay because of his loyalty to "his guys"

It's easier to fire Clay now I think. Even if you replace him internally as well. Anything kicking ops why was handled by Tyler Brown. Promote him. Or even the Bama dude who gets a new job every year.

Just now, Sack that QB said:

The Eagles knew Gannon was close to being hired last year, so they had to have been prepared for this. Hopefully they had names lined up and aren't just making the Wilson promotion out of "loyalty"

I love Sirianni, but I get overly loyal vibes from him. I don't think he's going to fire Michael Clay because of his loyalty to "his guys"

Eh i think they thought he was back after the first round of interviews and Texans decided on demeco Ryans as HC. The cardinals got down to Kafka and anamuro but decided they wanted to wait til after the SB to interview Gannon for the first time. What i was told Kafka got irritated by the situation and really was more he figured he’d pull out and get an opportunity next year. Cardinals made it sound like they were out on Kafka to save face. What I’m told not how it went down. And the cardinals were down to anamuro or hiring Gannon and decided to go with Gannon due to the connect to the front office. 

6 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I think Gannon is a bigger loss simply because not sure the eagles have a viable replacement in place 

I have utmost confidence that Brian Johnson will be fine as an OC.

Down side of being so successful.

Maybe Siri will make Stoutland the DC...😁

I don't see Brian Johnson going anywhere else.  He has the best shot at a HC job doing well as an OC.  He will do well as an OC with a talented offense which this team has.  I think Dennard Wilson is the logical choice at DC. He has the most NFL coaching experience.  He has done a decent job.  It also gives you consistency at the d-line and LB positions. I think they could bring in someone like Josh Boyer who was a DB coach before becoming Miami's d-coordinator.  He would have good experience and probably help Wilson to better prepare.  

I know I'm looking really far ahead but we have a lot of talent on offense. If Johnson gets promoted then we very well could end up losing him in the next offseason

Just now, Eagle1ne said:

No one should be surprised that Gannon was out coached against one of the best offensive minds (Reid). 

No, but it also really exacerbated his flaws which he hasn't seemed to improve on. We probably had the best secondary and DL in the league and he couldn't even make them look competitive for an entire half. No adjustments when the pass rush obviously wasn't going to get home.

37 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

"But from what I could tell and what I saw, I didn't think there was enough there to basically hand the Super Bowl over to Kansas City, the game was over at that point. To me it had to be pretty egregious to where there was just no doubt. And I think the fact that we're sitting here having this conversation and I'm sure people are all across the country, probably tells you there wasn't quite enough there."

https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/aikman-on-bradberry-hold-i-didnt-like-the-call

More importantly... they hadn't made that call the entire game.  That point in the game was not the point where you start to enforce things more tightly.  It has to be a consistently called game for all 60 minutes... and if you are letting them play for the first 58 minutes, you have to let them decide the game themselves and only the most egregious calls are the ones to be made, not ticky tack stuff that is let go all the time in the NFL and more importantly, was let go through out that particular game.

4 minutes ago, Eagle1ne said:

Yup Reid was running circles around Gannon it was a clinic.

Just now, bitbased said:

No, but it also really exacerbated his flaws which he hasn't seemed to improve on. We probably had the best secondary and DL in the league and he couldn't even make them look competitive for an entire half. No adjustments when the pass rush obviously wasn't going to get home.

Inexperience in big moments/shite field conditions. 

23 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Why is losing both coordinators "an extremely tough blow to our offense” moreso than just losing Steichen?

I think you missed the joke

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Something different would be amazing

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

So he’s not the OC there either. 

Does he just have bad interviews?

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

More importantly... they hadn't made that call the entire game.  That point in the game was not the point where you start to enforce things more tightly.  It has to be a consistently called game for all 60 minutes... and if you are letting them play for the first 58 minutes, you have to let them decide the game themselves and only the most egregious calls are the ones to be made, not ticky tack stuff that is let go all the time in the NFL and more importantly, was let go through out that particular game.

It's more disappointing because overall it was a very well called game in general before that. The only legitimate gripes were the Devonta catch overturn and the missed defensive holding call on us in the first half. That one call just taints the entire game (plus the field).

10 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Was it the standing on the bench and screaming at Colts fans about Frank Reich-thing?

8 minutes ago, Eagle1ne said:

Maybe not surprised, but fans should be bothered by how much of a mismatch it was. Lou Anarumo with half the Eagles talent held the Chiefs to 23 points in their building. And last year with Tyreek Hill completely stifled them in the 2nd half to go to the SB.

That is what happens when a good coach gets players to play above their abilities.

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Something different would be amazing

Does he just have bad interviews?

Don’t think he has the resume of an OC. 

Just now, RLC said:

My honest, fair take about Jonathan Gannon.

Losing Gannon lowers our floor, but raises our ceiling, for 2023.

Without knowing the plan at DC, that seems right. 

Archived