EMB Blog: 2023 Offseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, Sack that QB said:

I get the "ONLY 32 JOBS!" narrative and all. But Shane Steichen is a fool for working for this clown. I'm sure Chris Ballard is thrilled with that leverage play there by the moron owner.

Ballard already made clear the Colts were going to do "whatever it takes" to move up for a QB in the draft.

It looks like they're going to trade up for the wrong one .... but that's the Colts for you.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

I get the "ONLY 32 JOBS!" narrative and all. But Shane Steichen is a fool for working for this clown. I'm sure Chris Ballard is thrilled with that leverage play there by the moron owner.

I'd like to think that is an intentional smokescreen, but not with Irsay. 

The Texans and Colts, division rivals will be in a bidding war for the #1 pick, and the Colts owner openly declared which one he wants.

That price is going to be swapping picks this year, plus 3 more first rounders.

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

They can't. Because of the Rooney Rule they have to interview one external minority candidate, even though they want to promote a minority candidate, because reasons. 

Hopefully no one snatches him away while that's happening

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Hopefully no one snatches him away while that's happening

I'd very much doubt that happens. It's going to be a thing where everyone knows Johnson is getting the job, including Johnson. and Eagles are just following procedure. Would be a good idea to pick the brains of a young up and comer for either down the road if there's an opportunity or even QB coach. 

33 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Regarding Hargrave, it might be wiser to try and sign Daron Payne as a FA.  Similar quality player, and probably similar money, but significantly younger.

It'll be interesting to see if Washington tags him. 

Will be interesting to see if he handles the transition better than Sirianni, but he has a leg up since he’s called plays before. 

7 minutes ago, uncphillyfan said:

Not in the mood dude

This is the Offseason Blog.  It's all over but the crying.

Just now, ManuManu said:

Will be interesting to see if he handles the transition better than Sirianni, but he has a leg up since he’s called plays before. 

My question would be whether or not he is good at game planning. He is clearly competent at calling plays.

Blankenship is a damn good football player.  Big hitter, stout in run support, and instinctive in coverage.

But any team with weapons will find a way to make him turn and run in coverage.  I would not settle for a safety that will be targeted for mismatches by the opposition.

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Blankenship is a damn good football player.  Big hitter, stout in run support, and instinctive in coverage.

But any team with weapons will find a way to make him turn and run in coverage.  I would not settle for a safety that will be targeted for mismatches by the opposition.

Did I see him take some snaps at LB in the 4th qtr???

Or was I seeing things.

Looked to me in the 4th eagles were in nickel and blank was one of the two LBs replacing white?

Could be wrong though?

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

On one hand,  a team playing in AZ with a dome probably figures there's no way a slippery surface factors in and may not be prepared.

On the other hand,  the way NFL teams pack for away games,  I can't see a team being unprepared.  No idea why they didn't change cleats. Have to assume they had them there.

They did change cleats. There was a shot where there was a pile of cleats that were changed and hurts had changed cleats also 

5 minutes ago, Thrive said:

My question would be whether or not he is good at game planning. He is clearly competent at calling plays.

Bill Walsh style, we'll see if Steichen needs a running QB to make that work🤔

41 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Regarding Hargrave, it might be wiser to try and sign Daron Payne as a FA.  Similar quality player, and probably similar money, but significantly younger.

I don’t want Hargrave back.  I just don’t want huge money in a DL his age.  I realize the advanced metrics he had a much better "pressure %” than Payne, but give me the younger, bigger, more explosive guy that had 0.5 more sacks too.

I think Payne will be more expensive.  If it’s the same price, I see it as a no brainer.  I’d do it for more.  Allows us to cross DT off the need list, find a way to also retain CJGJ and then have a defined, much narrower set of needs.

If you re-sign Hargrave, we’ll be addressing starting DT AGAIN within 2 years.

52 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Wouldn't that apply to the Chiefs as well when they're on defense? ?

Maybe the Eagles should have done similar plays if defenders were slipping all over the place..

I know people are upset but I'm just ready to move on.  Especially with this whole field thing.  I don't like to use it as an excuse when the Chiefs had the exact same disadvantages. 

I agree with this to a point. HOWEVER, the Chiefs front four are mainly bullrushers not bendy turn the corner guys. Compare Clark and Karlaftis to Sweat and Reddick. Completely different styles, body types, etc. I feel the Eagles front 4 had a much bigger disadvantage than the Chiefs front four in being able to play their way.

17 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He definitely Tweeted that from the toilet.

20 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Meth is a helluva drug.

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Bill Walsh style, we'll see if Steichen needs a running QB to make that work🤔

The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure Sirianni and Steichen were still under the impression the Eagles wanted to make it work with Wentz when they took the job.  Most of their experience working with QBs was with the pocket-style QBs like Rivers and Luck.  Huge props to both of them for developing an offense that played to Hurts' strengths -- after the inital bumpy first 7 games of 2021.

I think the appeal of a guy like Steichen is he now has experience developing offenses for both styles of QB

Any good CB targets that Howie could trade for this offseason?  Maybe some that are unhappy or maybe a team looking to get draft picks for a rebuild. 

Bradberry is a nice player but is getting older and I've seen him get beat too many times.  Slay seems like he plays better and is more fresh earlier in the season.  As the year goes on his play diminished some which is normal as he's older as well. 

They'd be better off trading for a proven CB than drafting one.

5 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Did I see him take some snaps at LB in the 4th qtr???

Or was I seeing things.

Looked to me in the 4th eagles were in nickel and blank was one of the two LBs replacing white?

Could be wrong though?

I didn’t notice, but he is 6’1”.  Basically taller than all of our current LBs.  Needs to gain 20 pounds though.  That’s a lot.

We have a long, rich history of trying and failing to convert safeties to LB.  Maybe he’s the one to actually do it.

Archived