EMB Blog: 2023 Offseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I agree with this to a point. HOWEVER, the Chiefs front four are mainly bullrushers not bendy turn the corner guys. Compare Clark and Karlaftis to Sweat and Reddick. Completely different styles, body types, etc. I feel the Eagles front 4 had a much bigger disadvantage than the Chiefs front four in being able to play their way.

Yuo I'd say and have the slippery field negatively affected the eagkes pass rush more than the chiefs and the eagles D plan I. General.

Gannon bases his whole D off 4 guys getting pressure so he can drop 7, and this year the eagles had the most sacks in the league from 4 man rushes.

They didn't all the sudden forget how to rush the passer or just all had bad games in the same day, it was the messed up oil slick of a field.

Whether the NFL knew and planned it ti decrease pass rush and keep a marque injured QB clean only they know either way that mess of a  field did the eagles pass rush zero favors.

2 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

@austinfan

I was trying to post this in the previous thread, in response to you saying our back 7 wasn’t good.

Any take that says our 2 starting pro bowl level CB’s and our starting pro Bowl level safety weren’t good enough and that’s the reason Gannon played it "safe” is ABSURD.

If Gannon can’t make it work with 3 pro bowl level players in the secondary then he shouldn’t be coaching in the NFL.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Slay and Bradberry would not be all pro behind an average pass rushing D-line, they'd be above average but no more.

And CGJ is a bit erratic, a playmaker but inexperienced at FS. Epps struggles in coverage, Maddox was hobbled and Scott just isn't a good nickel back.

One reason I'm not worried about Bradberry leaving in FA is I think the Eagles got his "good season" out of him.

The talent in the back seven was solid overall, but nothing special.

I have this feeling the odd Panthers coaching moves are setting themselves to take one of Petullo or Brian Johnson as OC, assumedly whichever one doesn't get promoted. They also covered their bases in the event they can't land either. 

4 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure Sirianni and Steichen were still under the impression the Eagles wanted to make it work with Wentz when they took the job.  Most of their experience working with QBs was with the pocket-style QBs like Rivers and Luck.  Huge props to both of them for developing an offense that played to Hurts' strengths -- after the inital bumpy first 7 games of 2021.

I think the appeal of a guy like Steichen is he now has experience developing offenses for both styles of QB

Yup, I think I remember Siri saying that he was under the impression that when he took the job his QB would be Wentz and Wentz was still here when Siri was hired and of I remember he and Siri say down, but after that I guess Wentz had his little cry baby fit because Howie wouldn't trade hurts and next things leads to the next and Siri and Steichen are developing an O for a super bowl QB.

Good luck to Steichen, I have utmost confidence in Brian Johnson at OC.

Just now, Utebird said:

Yup, I think I remember Siri saying that he was under the impression that when he took the job his QB would be Wentz and Wentz was still here when Siri was hired and of I remember he and Siri say down, but after that I guess Wentz had his little cry baby fit because Howie wouldn't trade hurts and next things leads to the next and Siri and Steichen are developing an O for a super bowl QB.

Good luck to Steichen, I have utmost confidence in Brian Johnson at OC.

I remember there being reports that Howie/Lurie were pitching to candidates during interviews that Wentz would be here. 

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Slay and Bradberry would not be all pro behind an average pass rushing D-line, they'd be above average but no more.

And CGJ is a bit erratic, a playmaker but inexperienced at FS. Epps struggles in coverage, Maddox was hobbled and Scott just isn't a good nickel back.

One reason I'm not worried about Bradberry leaving in FA is I think the Eagles got his "good season" out of him.

The talent in the back seven was solid overall, but nothing special.

I think Slay and Bradberry were playing at a much higher level in the first half than the second half of the year…and the eagles would be wise to expect a similar drop off next year. I agree that the Eagles just got Bradberry’s best season.

Playmakers in the secondary are great, but I want reliable and flexible coverage above all else.  

Secondary needs to be an off-season emphasis, but I am not opposed to significant turnover.

11 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Any good CB targets that Howie could trade for this offseason?  Maybe some that are unhappy or maybe a team looking to get draft picks for a rebuild. 

Bradberry is a nice player but is getting older and I've seen him get beat too many times.  Slay seems like he plays better and is more fresh earlier in the season.  As the year goes on his play diminished some which is normal as he's older as well. 

They'd be better off trading for a proven CB than drafting one.

I posted it in the old blog but I’m hoping the Eagles use one of their 1sts or 2nd like they did last year for AJ Brown.  I listed DL. Chase Young, Quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver.   All last year of contract guys. Didn’t look at CB but would be happy with that direction too. 

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I posted it in the old blog but I’m hoping the Eagles use one of their 1sts or 2nd like they did last year for AJ Brown.  I listed DL. Chase Young, Quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver.   All last year of contract guys. Didn’t look at CB but would be happy with that direction too. 

I wouldn’t consider it for Ed Oliver.  Chase Young…count me in.  Williams…probably.

For the record…if we do go back to the SB, I want the Chiefs.  And I want SF again in the NFCCG.  My new 2 most hated teams.

20 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I think Slay and Bradberry were playing at a much higher level in the first half than the second half of the year…and the eagles would be wise to expect a similar drop off next year. I agree that the Eagles just got Bradberry’s best season.

Playmakers in the secondary are great, but I want reliable and flexible coverage above all else.  

Secondary needs to be an off-season emphasis, but I am not opposed to significant turnover.

I have mixed feelings about corners in that the leagues rules that favor offense put corners and defense at such a disadvantage from the get go.

Look at eagles corners in 2017, they allocated the least amount of money to corner of any team in the league where as this year the eagles with slay Bradbury Maddox were at least top half.

Chiefs had two rookie corners, if I remember one was drafted pretty late.

I just don't see the value In giving corners big money as it's a position that the league rules actively give a disadvantage.

Rather spend in safety, in 2017 eagkes were also among of not tops in safety sending with jenkins and McLeod.

I'd definitely re sign CJG and try to find a replacement for Epps.

Let bradberry walk possibly trade slay and go young and cheap at corner and spend that money elsewhere 

24 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

If you watch Brown's TD catch, you see him fake the CB with early hands to pretend the ball is coming. CB turned around too early, Brown adjusted and then put his hands where the ball was actually being thrown.

I know Brown had talked about "late hands" a bit before the season, and I believe this is what Quez is talking about. Quez said he was running a good 2-3 yards with his hands extended, which gave the CB a better idea of when/where the ball was coming.

I think Quez has improved as a route runner and has promise as a receiver based on his physical tools.  He's probably the best slot WR the team has had since Agholor in 2017.  It's not like he couldn't be upgraded but the team hasn't done well drafting receiver especially drafting a player that could be an upgrade over Watkins.  I do think that there's a possibility that Jordan Addison drops to pick 30 and they take him.  I think that's not a bad choice but I would see him as a hedge against Smith leaving vs. being able to make more of an impact than Watkins given the target share.  

26 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

So one thing I was thinking about while wallowing in the disappointment: imagine if this game wasn't in AZ and it poured the rain down like in previous SBs, or maybe if there were huge wind gusts... Would have been a huge advantage for the Eagles.  Just total crap luck and theres nothing that we can do about it.

A slippery field should have impacted them just as much.  

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

For the record…if we do go back to the SB, I want the Chiefs.  And I want SF again in the NFCCG.  My new 2 most hated teams.

I don't hate the Chiefs at all. They were a gracious opponent. We beat ourselves. The Niners on the other hand, I'd love to trash again.

Agree with those who advocate for significant changes to our secondary this year, with CJGJ being the only free agent that should really be pursued. 

We should use 2023 as an opportunity to retool for 2024-2025 when Hurts and the offense hopefully reach their prime.

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I wouldn’t consider it for Ed Oliver.  Chase Young…count me in.  Williams…probably.

I’d do their 2nd for Oliver.  

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I don’t have anything against KC. But I want to haunt SF. 

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I hate to say this but the Chiefs of 2022 will probably be less talented than the 2023-25 iterations. I think that was the weakest Chiefs team we’ll see for a while and we blew it.

1 minute ago, Thrive said:

Agree with those who advocate for significant changes to our secondary this year, with CJGJ being the only free agent that should really be pursued. 

We should use 2023 as an opportunity to retool for 2024-2025 when Hurts and the offense hopefully reach their prime.

We should be a team that wins playoff game(s) next year.  But I agree that retaining everyone for the sake of an all in 2023 is a mistake.  I’d prioritize gaining youth and upside at certain positions over perfecting the roster for 2023.   By 2024, while a lot can change, I could see the Bengals being our top competition.  Maybe still Chiefs if they draft some WRs.

2 minutes ago, Thrive said:

I hate to say this but the Chiefs of 2022 will probably be less talented than the 2023-25 iterations. I think that was the weakest Chiefs team we’ll see for a while and we blew it.

They have a young defense, but not a particularly talented one.  The concern is that they will re-arm Mahomes.  Of course, picking at 32 with a tough cap situation, that’s easier said than done.

The pending decline of Kelce will likely undo whatever second round talent they add at WR several times over.

14 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Seems they'd be better off getting proven guys on defense.   

Can't remember the last time they drafted a player on defense and he started immediately, maybe Jalen Mills.  Always feels like they baby and wait on draft picks instead of putting them out there right away to play, at least on defense. 

Now go get Fangio. He hasn't signed on the dotted lines yet. Don't care if he has to go back on his word. McDaniels did it, so can Fangio.

Archived