EMB Blog: 2023 Offseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

22 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I agree with many here.  I'd feel better with a vet OL added to the mix.

Other than that, I'd be comfortable lining to play a game this Sunday.

I feel like Taylor Lewan is a natural fit. Vet with gas left in the tank, looking for a ring.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Listening to Rich Gannon on NFL Radio; he says Kirk Cousins is the best QB in the NFC North.  I think I'd probably take Goff over him:

34 MIN QB 8 17 17 13-4-0 424 643 65.9 4547 29 4.5 14

28 DET QB 16 17 17 9-8-0 382 587 65.1 4438 29 4.9 7 1.2                                

Right now I would as well.  Goff only threw 7 picks (none in his last 9 games).  He beat the Packers on a cold night in Lambeau to end the year.  Cousins finds a way to lose that game

1 hour ago, mattwill said:

If I agree with him, the answer to his question is not "Yup”.   So pick up your "wrong” card and put it back in your hand.

But you can't agree.  It's not possible. 

3 minutes ago, McMVP said:

Right now I would as well.  Goff only threw 7 picks (none in his last 9 games).  He beat the Packers on a cold night in Lambeau to end the year.  Cousins finds a way to lose that game

This is going to be a big year for Goff.  He's got two years left on his current contract at about $31M per season.  If he plays like he did last year then it's quite possible DET gives him an extension, but if he doesn't then the Hendon Hooker draft pick becomes very practical.  Goff is pretty durable and Hooker will be rehabbing his ACL, so I don't expect anything but Goff playing in 2023 -- but if the Lions fail to meet expectations this season, then Hooker may get his chance in 2024.

28 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Listening to Rich Gannon on NFL Radio; he says Kirk Cousins is the best QB in the NFC North.  I think I'd probably take Goff over him:

34 MIN QB 8 17 17 13-4-0 424 643 65.9 4547 29 4.5 14

28 DET QB 16 17 17 9-8-0 382 587 65.1 4438 29 4.9 7 1.2                                

If you need to score 5 TD's against the Texans at 1pm in October, I'll take Cousins.  If you want to win a prime time or playoff game, I'll take Goff.

16 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

This is going to be a big year for Goff.  He's got two years left on his current contract at about $31M per season.  If he plays like he did last year then it's quite possible DET gives him an extension, but if he doesn't then the Hendon Hooker draft pick becomes very practical.  Goff is pretty durable and Hooker will be rehabbing his ACL, so I don't expect anything but Goff playing in 2023 -- but if the Lions fail to meet expectations this season, then Hooker may get his chance in 2024.

I don't think Goff is anything great, but he's not bad.  I think he could have a Tannehill-like second wind in Detroit.  Nothing league shaking, but a serviceable starter who wins some games and gets to the playoffs.

I'm starting to wonder if the Cardinals hired Gannon to guarantee they get Caleb Williams in 2024. Could the Cardinals be playing 4D chess?

Also, I think going forward the AFC South is going to be very interesting. Feels like the Titans kinda hit reset there and will take a step back. Jags probably have that division in 2023, but the Colts and Texans will be interesting to watch finally getting QBs.

How does everyone feel about the NFC South? It isn't as important as it was in 2022, but we do own the Saints 2nd rounder and would be nice for them to not be great again. But they look like the early favorite probably.

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

I'm starting to wonder if the Cardinals hired Gannon to guarantee they get Caleb Williams in 2024. Could the Cardinals be playing 4D chess?

Also, I think going forward the AFC South is going to be very interesting. Feels like the Titans kinda hit reset there and will take a step back. Jags probably have that division in 2023, but the Colts and Texans will be interesting to watch finally getting QBs.

How does everyone feel about the NFC South? It isn't as important as it was in 2022, but we do own the Saints 2nd rounder and would be nice for them to not be great again. But they look like the early favorite probably.

At this moment, I'd go Falcons-Saints-Panthers-Bucs.  Confident Bucs will be last but there's not a lot to choose between those four teams.

1 hour ago, vikas83 said:

I'm not sure Scott clears waiver to the PS though.

I mean, the Giants should claim him and just deactivate him.

No one bothers trying to sign him every off-season

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

Probably the precursor to a trade. Wonder if this is one Howie gets in on.

Like Murray or Queen more. Market is getting diluted which is good for the Eagles 

1 hour ago, vikas83 said:

Penny, Swift and Gainwell will all dress. No way in hell Penny is inactive. Scott and Sermon are battling to make the 53. 

Can Covey return kickoffs?

Increasing the chances of Britain Covey’s body literally exploding from the Goldberg-esque spear of a gunner should be entertaining at least. There were a few punt returns last season where I shouted, "he’s dead!” and then he got up and shook it off. Kid’s very tough. 

6 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I'm not fussing at all.  It's fun for me?  

Oh, by definition of 'fuss', that's fuss.   Not negative fuss, but definitely a fuss... as in, "unnecessary or excessive excitement, activity or interest."

If that's what excites you about football... go for it.

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Increasing the chances of Britain Covey’s body literally exploding from the Goldberg-esque spear of a gunner should be entertaining at least. There were a few punt returns last season where I shouted, "he’s dead!” and then he got up and shook it off. Kid’s very tough. 

The last ~5 spots on the roster are going to be a knife fight in camp.

12 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

If you need to score 5 TD's against the Texans at 1pm in October, I'll take Cousins.  If you want to win a prime time or playoff game, I'll take Goff.

Dak and Cousins are big empty calorie stat guys.

If you need 6 TDs vs backups. Dak is your guy. If you need 20 points in a playoff game. Good luck!

Anyone think VanSummeren is the new KR?

Ill bet hes done it in a neighborhood pickup game as a kid. 

4.40 speed at his size would be an unstoppable force. He would run through all the tackle attempts on the way to the end zone.

7 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Dak and Cousins are big empty calorie stat guys.

If you need 6 TDs vs backups. Dak is your guy. If you need 20 points in a playoff game. Good luck!

They are just the newest version of Jon Kitna

5 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

I guess there was something. A CB with his pedigree, playing well at LSU, and then when he finally got on the field at Alabama, with his size at 6'2'' with ok arm length should probably get drafted. 4.60 is draftable with his length. Not high, but draftable.  Unless the 3 cone is what really sank him. Guess thats possible. 

2 more scouting reports on this link. Also mainly positive

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/eli-ricks-cb-alabama-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

Yeah, something is not adding up with Ricks.  LSU is 'DB U'.  Maybe he didn't train for the pre-draft workout Olympics enough.  Definitely worth the risk for a UDFA to bring him in.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

It's going to suck to be any coach on that team

It's like the Invincible tryouts over there.

Didn't realize when the Eagles drafted him that Sydney Brown is 47 years old.

NFL Combine

4 hours ago, eagle45 said:

He's very JJAW, Zach Pascal like.  

That means he sucks and lacks upside.  But if you are looking for a UDFA to reliably project as WR4, then you can't have any upside.  At least we didn't draft him in the second round.

That's very disrespectful of Pascal. Pascal is a solid ST player, solid blocking WR, and a decent 4th/5th WR because of that.   JJAW doesn't belong in the NFL.

Can any college football guru give me some info on Michigan State’s Ben Vansumeren?  My son is a student there and was super excited to hear that we grabbed him as an UDFA.  He’s asking me if I think he’s got a chance to make the team. Initial gut tells me ‘no’, however, it can be argued that LB is our weakest group…and I know nothing about him as a player 

I've been looking up old draft grades, and some of these are pretty darn funny, but here's 2019:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2019-nfl-draft-final-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams-0ap3000001028874

Philadelphia Eagles
Draft picks: Washington State OT Andre Dillard (No. 22 overall); Penn State RB Miles Sanders (No. 53); Stanford WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (No. 57); Penn State DE Shareef Miller (No. 138); Northwestern QB Clayton Thorson (No. 167)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A
Draft analysis:Jason Peters has had a great NFL career, but he's 37 years old and his contract is due to expire after next season. Dillard and Lane Johnson will form a great tandem whenever Peters moves on, and giving up a late fourth- and sixth-rounder to trade up for Dillard was more than acceptable to get an elite pass protector.

The Eagles decided not to pick Alabama RB Josh Jacobs in the first round, but they got the second-best back in the draft in the second round. Sanders will be an impact back who could see his role grow quickly with Jordan Howard due to become a free agent after the 2019 season. Arcega-Whiteside will be a red-zone stud and general safety valve for Carson Wentz.

Miller will offer a strong pass rush for the Eagles despite falling to the end of the fourth round. The Thorson pick made plenty of sense with Wentz coming off injury and Nick Foles gone.

Dillard?  Definitely not an 'A'.  In hindsight, I'll give that a B. 

Miles and JJAW?  A+ on Miles, F-on JJAW

Shareef Miller has definitely offered a strong pass rush... but not for the Eagles, he's currently playing for the XFL's Seattle Sea Dragons.  But, 4th round pick, so, meh?   

I don't think this was an 'A' draft, though.

3 hours ago, RLC said:

The most fair take about Swift is that he's very inconsistent player. 
In terms of elusiveness/production, he's a top 10 back on a per carry basis. He's also wildly inconsistent, so his production is raised by big runs which artificially raises his average.

I'll use Eagles @ Lions from last year as an example.

Rushes (yards): 50, 11, 6, 1, 2, 13, 7, 7, 3, 4, 18, 1, 0, 5

You can't waive off the big runs, because they absolutely matter. However, in no universe do I want him on the field for 3rd and 2 where he'll try to get a 10 yard gain when a 3 yard gain is a win.

Is he inconsistent or was the OL inconsistent?  

2 hours ago, RLC said:

Boston Scott is our primary kick returner. We don't have anyone else on the roster who is good at it, so he has to dress.

Oh... I have somethings to say about having one guy forced to dress to watch a kick off land in the end zone, and another guy dress to fair catch punts... but it might be deemed as criticism of Howie, so I will just blame the ST coach for not being able to coach up anyone else who should be suiting up to handle those duties, or cross train one or the other so that only one gameday activation is needed for those roles.

Archived