EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

28 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Clearly gonna happen with PG and kawhi on the clippers…

spacer.png

Newsflash, James.  You were in control of whether or not you came back.  You opted in to the contract, because you realized you weren't going to get paid... but somehow thought someone would pay you AND trade assets to have you?   Now... shut up and go away.

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Seems you completely misread everything I said there.

I didn’t misread anything. I agree with your line of thinking but disagree with your conclusion.

If the goal is to avoid negative plays, then for a receiving TE, the player more likely to get open is more likely to avoid negative plays.

A player who is covered is more likely to have a pass intercepted, a player who is open uses that separation to avoid defensive interdiction on the pass.

On top of this, Jackson has greater upside. So for me, Jackson as the 4th TE makes more sense.

2 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

The situation at LB is extremely iffy if we're looking a cause for concern. 

They have six LBs on the 53.  

25 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

About 20 years ago I had a chance to interview him about a draft-eligible player who was basically camp fodder at best. We spent about 15 minutes talking about scouting and the draft. The wealth of knowledge he had about this scrub and the draft in general was really cool. 

3 minutes ago, TEW said:

I didn’t misread anything. I agree with your line of thinking but disagree with your conclusion.

If the goal is to avoid negative plays, then for a receiving TE, the player more likely to get open is more likely to avoid negative plays.

A player who is covered is more likely to have a pass intercepted, a player who is open uses that separation to avoid defensive interdiction on the pass.

On top of this, Jackson has greater upside. So for me, Jackson as the 4th TE makes more sense.

I didn't say anything about him getting open necessarily, but about hitting his landmarks.  Jackson is very new to the position and hasn't shown himself to be much of a route runner.  My point about the interception was that by not running the route properly, would allow a defender that shouldn't be in a given area to be somewhere else and jump a route on a throw to a different receiver, not that they'd be intercepting a ball intended for the backup TE.  

I keep hearing about Jackson's upside... and I think people see him and just automatically equate him to Logan Thomas.  I don't see it yet.  Maybe he can do it... somewhere else.

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Season ending, unless they come to a settlement. It was done before the 53, so he's not eligible to return to the active roster from IR

So why waive him instead of just putting him on IR? Waiving at 53, revert after?  Confusing.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, jojodancer said:

Take away Phillies talk, Siposs' irrelevant statistical pontification, Random Regular's soliloquies and the aggrandizing of Tyree Jackson. This thread would be chopped to a few pages. Wow! The Eagles must be pretty good folks! Makes me miss all the Hurts hammering and Carson Strong talk. And let's not forget Matt bloviating...

Here's what I don't understand. Wasn't it you who politely asked the nerds to provide the statistics regarding Siposs? And out of the kindness of my heart for our respected brethren of this blog, I took seriously my nerd duties and devoted about fifteen minutes of research time to satisfy your request, one which I had assumed you made earnestly.

And here I am, now reading your assertion that this was all irrelevant. I'm gravely disappointed that you feel that way since it was you in the first place who brought this on.

Perhaps your determination that this was all "irrelevant" is based upon the fact that the statistical findings weren't in support of your presupposed thoughts? Nah, can't be.

I remain confused.

8 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

So why waive him instead of just putting him on IR? Waiving at 53, revert after?  Confusing.  Thanks.

There’s 3 options 

1. Put him on IR before 53. Season done no matter what.

2. Waive/injure to get down to 53, clears waivers, reverts to IR and stays there all year unless they write him off with a settlement.

3. He makes the 53, goes on IR immediately after, eligible to return in 4 weeks. 

23 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Here's what I don't understand. Wasn't it you who politely asked the nerds to provide the statistics regarding Siposs? And out of the kindness of my heart for our respected brethren of this blog, I took seriously my nerd duties and devoted about fifteen minutes of research time to satisfy your request, one which I had assumed you made earnestly.

And here I am, now reading your assertion that this was all irrelevant. I'm gravely disappointed that you feel that way since it was you in the first place who brought this on.

Perhaps your determination that this was all "irrelevant" is based upon the fact that the statistical findings weren't in support of your presupposed thoughts? Nah, can't be.

I remain confused.

I did not request that, Mattwill wanted susbtantiation about shanks or something like that. I didn't care. I just trust my eyes and the guy is inconsistent and choked the last 2 playoff games when it matters.  That has been my main beef. Looking for a punter to creep towards Townsend's league leading net yards of 45.6. Siposs is a whole 5 yards behind. I do think against the good teams in the playoffs these things come back and haunt you. Every yard and every point matters. But thanks for your hard work!

4 hours ago, Utebird said:

The coaches really value Stoll's in line blocking and calcaterra is more of a move TE.

Albert O I'm not sure how well he blocks, other than one clip that was posted I have no idea.

When one is in 12 personnel having 2 TEs like goedert and stoll that can block keeps defenses more honest as defenses can't just line up up small nickel to stop the pass as they'll get gouged in the run.

Not sure Albert O is a good enough blocker in the run game, if he is then he's a far better weapon In the pass game than stoll which could really cause problems for defenses.

Be interesting to see if they keep 4 and use a guy like calcaterra more as a big slot receiver.🤷‍♂️

Albert O and Tyree are also "move TE" or "big slot receiver"  and both better than Grant.

If Joe is in the know, it sounds like "Commanders" isn't going to stick very long:

21 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

About 20 years ago I had a chance to interview him about a draft-eligible player who was basically camp fodder at best. We spent about 15 minutes talking about scouting and the draft. The wealth of knowledge he had about this scrub and the draft in general was really cool. 

I had several interactions with Gil Brandt years ago and considered him to be a pompous ass. (He didn't like me because I challenged him on something factual that he was wrong about!)  I used to know people in the football business and none of them had anything nice to say about him. The same could be said about Lou Holtz, by the way. Everyone who worked with him thought he was a jerk. On the other hand, everyone who worked with Woody Hayes thought he was a wonderful man.

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

If Joe is in the know, it sounds like "Commanders" isn't going to stick very long:

Another new name?  So... Redskins, Football Team, Commanders and now the Lame-ohs?

5 minutes ago, jojodancer said:

I did not request that, Mattwill wanted susbtantiation about shanks or something like that. I didn't care. I just trust my eyes and the guy is inconsistent and choked the last 2 playoff games when it matters.  That has been my main beef. Looking for a punter to creep towards Townsend's league leading net return of 45.6. Siposs is a whole 5 yards behind. I do think against the good teams in the playoffs these things come back and haunt you. Every yard and every point matters. But thanks for your hard work!

I distinctly remembered someone using the word "nerd" when asking for statistical evidence. Matt wouldn't have said that. Pretty sure it was you.

34 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Newsflash, James.  You were in control of whether or not you came back.  You opted in to the contract, because you realized you weren't going to get paid... but somehow thought someone would pay you AND trade assets to have you?   Now... shut up and go away.

He went to asu so you are dealing with someone with a low IQ…. Bam! 

also nick foles is back in town here. Gonna try to see if i can run into him on campus 

21 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Three of them really aren’t LBs though. 

Primarily playing the QB and the edge but in a pinch can play off the line.  I mean Imdoubt they are any worse than Bradley.  Plus Edmunds is great in the box so is really almost a LB/S hybrid, which is really what Morrow was.  I think this is overblown.  In truth the team has 3 1/2 off ball LBs and three OLBs that can play SAM.  I really think that we need to stop thinking 3/4 or 4/3 as a "base”. I think the base is now situational and can be just about anything.   It started with Nick and Gannon but I am excited that Desai is going to take it forward even further. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

He went to asu so you are dealing with someone with a low IQ…. Bam! 

also nick foles is back in town here. Gonna try to see if i can run into him on campus 

I can't agree on the ASU thing... I have friends who went to ASU, and ASU has given me a few employment opportunities that I wouldn't have had otherwise.  

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Clearly gonna happen with PG and kawhi on the clippers…

spacer.png

I just saw the video and all I can think of is what in the world is with Skip Bayless's posture? I thought someone edited the video and took his neck out.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I can't agree on the ASU thing... I have friends who went to ASU, and ASU has given me a few employment opportunities that I wouldn't have had otherwise.  

I’m just joking. i don’t like asu due to the in-state rivalry 

that said, James Harden is absolutely delusional about what type of player he is now. I’ve had some coaches and former Arizona players tell me some stories about his time at ASU. It doesn’t put him in a particularly great light.

42 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I love Major League 2!  :lol:.  "I love this British crap... I'm moving to England!"

Fun fact. They filmed several parts of Major League 2 in Harrisburg, mainly Spring Training. They used the Harrisburg Senators stadium on City Island. They invited the local community to come and fill the stands as extras so my family went. It was brutal. A full day of next to nothing watching them film the same scenes over and over while we fake cheered. As kids we thought it would be fun but we were wrong.

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m just joking. i don’t like asu due to the in-state rivalry 

that said, James Harden is absolutely delusional about what type of player he is now. I’ve had some coaches and former Arizona players tell me some stories about his time at ASU. It doesn’t put him in a particularly great light.

Oh.. I know.  Its cool.

45 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I love Major League 2!  :lol:.  "I love this British crap... I'm moving to England!"

Also had Roger dorn take one for the team. 

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

There’s 3 options 

1. Put him on IR before 53. Season done no matter what.

2. Waive/injure to get down to 53, clears waivers, reverts to IR and stays there all year unless they write him off with a settlement.

3. He makes the 53, goes on IR immediately after, eligible to return in 4 weeks. 

If a player goes on IR before the 53, he is unavailable to the original team for the year, even if cut from IR. But can sign with other teams. Is the same true under scenario 2 or can the original team injury settle and bring him back after the injury period.  Based on how you explained it in the first response, sounds like under both 1 and 2, the player is unavailable to the original team all season. Did I understand this correctly?

Archived