EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I've been trying to get my 14 year old nephew to watch A League of Their Own but he's being a pain in the arse refusing to because it's not about "real baseball". Have tried like hell to explain to him but he doesn't care. I know he'll love it if he watches it. I've never seen Bull Durham and need to sit down to watch one of these days. 

Best baseball movie of all time, Ron Shelton spent five years in the minors, including AA and AAA ball, so he's writing from experience.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=shelto003ron

Also reading the tea leaves… Ringo being given 22 suggests the Eagles will move on from Sermon once healthy, right?

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I've been trying to get my 14 year old nephew to watch A League of Their Own but he's being a pain in the arse refusing to because it's not about "real baseball". Have tried like hell to explain to him but he doesn't care. I know he'll love it if he watches it. I've never seen Bull Durham and need to sit down to watch one of these days. 

Have him watch Eastbound and Down if he wants to see what "real baseball" is all about.

Big day for Ohio in the waiver world. Cleveland claimed right-handed starter Lucas Giolito, left-handed reliever Matt Moore and right-handed reliever Reynaldo Lopez. Cincinnati claimed outfielders Hunter Renfroe and Harrison Bader.

34 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Tanner McKee 19

Kelee Ringo 22

Fred Johnson 74

Albert O 85

PS

Tiawan Mullen 33

Thomas Booker 59

Interesting that L'Raven Clark isn't listed on the PS yet.

Clarks not listed but supposedly is wearing #73 pet BLG

2 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

Yeah, but I'm scared to go back and watch it now. So many movies just aren't the same.

It's garbage now. My wife put it on for my kids because we were looking for movies similar to the sandlot and while the latter still holds up very well, the former does not at all.

2 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Albert O and Tyree are also "move TE" or "big slot receiver"  and both better than Grant.

Uh, no. Calcaterra was projected in the 3rd rd or so before he took a year off due to concussion. He's a lot more polished as a route runner as the other two and has worked on improving his blocking. As far as speed, we're talking TEs, top  end speed is less important than 10 yard splits (get open underneath).

Jackson was worth a look, and may still make it, but Albert is thicker and faster and has produced at the NFL level. 26 regular-season games, 546 yards and four TDs on 54 catches.

Albert O lost his job to UFA Nate Adkins, a very good blocking tight end, and that gave him the advantage over Albert Okwuegbunam. Adkins can also play at fullback, and on special teams. Albert's injury issues probably played a part, as did his pending FA status.

Workout numbers are nice, but it's not a track meet, it's a football game.

Instincts, discipline, IQ matter just as much.

1 hour ago, vikas83 said:

He's the kick returner

We can fair catch all the kicks.  What else does he do on STs?

EDIT: thanks to @BigEFly for his input.  I wasn’t aware of Scott playing on the KO or Punt STs units.

The disrespect I am seeing to the Air Bud franchise as great sports movies shows a lot about who you guys really are. Seventh Inning Fetch, Golden Receiver, World Pup, and of course the original. Disappointing I haven't seen these crack anyone's top 1,000 sports movies.

1 hour ago, ToastJenkins said:

No, critical thinking requires you engage and debate the hypothesis or thought exercise

Not necessarily.  One of the core CT concepts/tools is The Why Tree.  Especially useful in root cause analysis and problem diagnosis.  It also helps strip away the fluff and get to the real question being asked.

For example: "That was a really interesting answer.  Do you care to elaborate?”

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Interesting Eagles also worked out a LB and a Long Snapper.

Gotta keep that emergency Rolodex updated. 

12 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

It's garbage now. My wife put it on for my kids because we were looking for movies similar to the sandlot and while the latter still holds up very well, the former does not at all.

Yeah, that's unfortunately how a lot of movies are I loved when I was young.

10 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Not necessarily.  One of the core CT concepts/tools is The Why Tree.  Especially useful in root cause analysis and problem diagnosis.  It also helps strip away the fluff and get to the real question being asked.

For example: "That was a really interesting answer.  Do you care to elaborate?”

Not at all correct. Thats working backwards not forward. 

Archived