EMB Blog: 2020 Training Camp

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

COVID and Goedert. 

Yep, I get that. You're better off not offering anything at all then. Wasting your time offering less than last time.

Just now, ManuManu said:

I think he's a better player RIGHT NOW than Quez Watkins.

3 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Yep, I get that. You're better off not offering anything at all then. Wasting your time offering less than last time.

Maybe, but the question is if he’s better than Ward. They’re competing for the same spot — the slot. 

4 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Havent had discussions in a while. The world changed. Have to establish a new starting point I guess. 

LOL James Jones making a great point on NFLN about no preseason games; says in training camp certain guys are great in practice, then when the actual game starts they’re nowhere to be found.

Nelson Agholor immediately came to mind; he just bamboozled the Eagles coaching staff with his practice performances.

11 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I haven't been listening to Philly sports radio lately.  Are there people actually saying that?

Yup mike and nat

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

Nelson Agholor immediately came to mind; he just bamboozled the Eagles coaching staff with his practice performances.

Mental midget

50 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

George Kittle is getting 15 mil per year (average) with 40 mil guaranteed at 27 years old.

Kelce is getting 14.3 mil per year with 21 mil guaranteed at 31 years old old. 

Zach Ertz currently has 13 mil guaranteed left on his current contract at 29 years old (30 soon).

Based on Ertz' playing style (Great route runner, great hands, etc) he probably has a good 3 (maybe more) years left playing at a pro-bowl level, imo.

Something like a 4 year contract worth 55 million with about half guaranteed would put him just under Kelce' average and right around how much Kelce has guaranteed. 

13.75 mil per year with 27 mil guaranteed over the course of 4 years.   You're only guaranteeing about 13 million more than what he is already guaranteed under his current deal, over the course of 4 years.

Now there could be other factors the Eagles are concerned with...such as concussion history and what their doctors are telling them in terms of risks, etc. I'm not sure if there are such things as "insurance policies" on contracts against something like a concussion affecting his ability to play 4 more years, etc.  But knowing Ertz, the only way that would happen is if a doctor told him he had no other choice.

15 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Maybe, but the question is if he’s better than Ward. They’re competing for the same spot — the slot. 

This will ruffle some blog feathers

12 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

This phase has a lot to do with "claimability".  Not sure if Burnett will turn many heads in other front offices, whereas Watkins may have been liked by a few during the draft.

I also wonder if this season, because the lack spring evaluation, teams have an informal agreement not to do too much poaching after roster cut downs.

19 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

This is not the season for right now’s.  Burnett has now been cut by 4 teams.  His upside is Greg Ward.  It’s not easy to say this when Howie is the GM, but you’ve got to stick with your picks.

Is Burnett the Nasty Nate of the offseason?

As for Ertz, if you sign a long term deal, you potentially limit the monies you can earn.  Kirk Cousins took a risk a got paid.  I'm sure Joe Banner is somewhere thinking, ITYS...

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

This is not the season for right now’s.  Burnett has now been cut by 4 teams.  His upside is Greg Ward.  It’s not easy to say this when Howie is the GM, but you’ve got to stick with your picks.

I don't disagree, but let's not act like Watkins is some gem. He's a 6th round pick. 

As much as I like Greg Ward, Burnett is better as a deep threat. Doesn't have the speed, but he adjusts to the ball well. Something Agholor, for example, was terrible at.

I don’t think Burnett makes a lot of sense.

The team has young guys with speed, potential, and potential to separate.  

Then you’ve got other guys with no potential who will line up in the right spot and catch the football...Ward and Jeffery.

Burnett doesn’t have much upside, doesn’t have experience, and simply played his a** off and had a nice camp.

They don’t have a spot for that.

These next 2 days are going to be filled with movement and player shopping.

If I'm the Eagles, I'm on the lookout for DB's, OL, and maybe a vet TE or RB.

16 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

What makes you believe that?  And even if he is somewhat more "polished" than Watkins (Since Burnett has had time in the league) what gives you the impression that Watkins doesn't have the potential (The Eagles think he has) to become a solid part of this offense?

And the chances of Watkins not making it through waivers is (most likely) much higher than Burnett's.  Other than Watkins' blazing 40 time at the combine, he has received a ton of media attention during camp for his exceptional play as a rookie (in camp) and his rapport with Wentz.   So long story short, a team would likely pick him up off waivers, imo.

1 minute ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

Ertz will be traded next off season if not before........

No

1 minute ago, Ace Nova said:

What makes you believe that?  And even if he is somewhat more "polished" than Watkins (Since Burnett has had time in the league) what gives you the impression that Watkins doesn't have the potential (The Eagles think he has) to become a solid part of this offense?

And the chances of Watkins not making it through waivers is (most likely) much higher than Burnett's.  Other than Watkins' blazing 40 time at the combine, he has received a ton of media attention during camp for his exceptional play as a rookie (in camp) and his rapport with Wentz.   So long story short, a team would likely pick him up off waivers, imo.

Also, Manu has said it multiple times, Burnett has only been playing the slot position, whereas almost all of the other guys have been moving around.

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Yeah, I'm not saying Watkins isn't the better investment or that Watkins is more likely to pass through waivers.

I'm basing my opinion on the little I've seen of both. Burnett in Week 17 last year and a little of Watkins at Southern Miss.

Jane Slater mentioned this morning Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is on the bubble to even make the DAL roster — has not looked very good in camp

6 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

I don't disagree, but let's not act like Watkins is some gem. He's a 6th round pick. 

In this draft class he was.  Any other year I doubt he makes it past the 3rd/4th rounds.  

Archived