EMB Blog: 2020 Training Camp

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

You’re basing a lot of your 12 personnel hate off a season in which we rarely had NFL receivers on the field. 

But that's also part of the problem.  We always hear the cliche that you can't have pro-bowlers at every position.  They needed a WR heading into 2018 pretty badly.  There were multiple good options on the board in the early/mid 2nd.   Instead, they went with a highly rated TE to stash behind/across from their pro-bowl TE.   That's where they chose to stack their pass catching talent and we've seen how unexplosive the offense has become.  Now, combining that 12 personnel with an extended investment in slow possession WR Jeffery and a draft investment in slow possesion WR JJAW was a mortal sin, but I'm not going there again.  Suffice to say, 12 personnel has not been a smashing success here.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Interesting thought. Is it better to cut guys now while other teams are figuring out their own roster or try to hide guys in the flurry of moves Saturday?

Not gonna pretend like I fully understand the process and strategies but with 2 guys I consider 2 of the highest priority stashes in Juriga and Burnett being cut first I think it makes sense there's some benefit to it. 

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

You’re basing a lot of your 12 personnel hate off a season in which we rarely had NFL receivers on the field. 

This.  Never had Goedert and a legitimate deep threat on the field at the same time but for one game.

I'd be prepared to revisit your conclusion.

1 minute ago, DEagle7 said:

Not gonna pretend like I fully understand the process and strategies but with 2 guys I consider 2 of the highest priority stashes in Juriga and Burnett being cut first I think it makes sense there's some benefit to it. 

The downside is it gives other teams more time to study up and discuss them. 

14 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Eagles under Doug have kept a 4th RB every year so it didnt matter how many WRs they kept. They will keep 4 anyways at the RB spot. 

This aged very quickly 

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Guess we're carrying 3 RBs.

Or they have one in mind they might sign that is a FA or could be cut.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This aged very quickly 

Its not week 1 yet :)

8 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I think most people are on the same page re Ertz.  It's a touchy debate because we get caught up in semantics.

No one wants to "get rid of Ertz."  No one wants to pay Ertz $>13m per year for the next 5 years either.  So we are all coming from the same place here.  

For me, I'd trade Ertz for a 2nd round pick.  Not a 3rd.  

I break from the pack on what I'd be willing to extend him for simply because I do not like the 12 personnel.  This offense has gotten worse and less explosive as we've leaned on 12 personnel more and more.  Many thought they were going to take the league by storm and have mismatches everywhere.  They have not.  And their investments in the TE position have come at the cost of the WR position as well.  So they chose this direction.  I'd start to backtrack, rather than double down with extensions to both Ertz and Goedert.

The lack of mismatches have to do with in my opinion 2 things.

Ertz inability to Run block. When one isnt as effective  running out of 12 because one of the TEs cant block it hampers that personnels mutiplicity.

2nd. Lack of a deep threat on the outside. With out that threat everything gets more congested passing lanes shrink easier for defense.

29 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You're right... He's already taken $100M from the organisation. As a fan favorite and future HoF player you'd think he could do them one solid. 

15 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

future hall of famer based on past accomplishments.  Presently, he's on out of shape interior OL, who no one wanted to sign as a starter, who can't finish games, who is now disgruntled and screwing over the team he's been with for over 10 years out of desperation.

I'm not arguing that he's worth it or not. I just don't see how people think the Eagles "caving" to any demands he made will result in some mass influx of new contract demands. He's a highly respected vet with a ton of leverage. I can't imagine a guy like Mills thinks he's in remotely a similar position to make demands. 

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

I think most people are on the same page re Ertz.  It's a touchy debate because we get caught up in semantics.

No one wants to "get rid of Ertz."  No one wants to pay Ertz $>13m per year for the next 5 years either.  So we are all coming from the same place here.  

For me, I'd trade Ertz for a 2nd round pick.  Not a 3rd.  

I break from the pack on what I'd be willing to extend him for simply because I do not like the 12 personnel.  This offense has gotten worse and less explosive as we've leaned on 12 personnel more and more.  Many thought they were going to take the league by storm and have mismatches everywhere.  They have not.  And their investments in the TE position have come at the cost of the WR position as well.  So they chose this direction.  I'd start to backtrack, rather than double down with extensions to both Ertz and Goedert.

I understand we have a ton of talent and upside with Goedert but he and Ertz are two completely different types of TE's.  

Zach Ertz runs routes better than any other TE in the NFL and probably just as good (maybe even better) than most of the elite WR's in the NFL. You can't replace what Zach Ertz does as a TE because they don't exist.  He demands DB coverage...which makes defenses use DB's vs LB's whenever he's on the field.  Which in turn can open it up for the run game, etc

Goedert on the other hand, is the classic, big, run after the catch TE that can bulldoze his way through a defense. They compliment each other but neither can replace what the other one does, imo.

Therefore, don't think that if we trade Ertz that the offense will be the same with Goedert.   Because it will be different.  That said, having an influx of talent at WR could possibly afford the Eagles to take that risk but it's still a risk...and you would be taking away Wentz' #1 target over the course of Wentz' entire career.

6 minutes ago, RLC said:

Guess we're carrying 3 RBs.

With the new PS rules, makes perfect sense.  None of them looked to be a factor on STs either.

Can always call one up on Saturday if needed.

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

A lot of hyped UDFAs in there — Juriga, Warren, Arnold. 

I never understood the Arnold hype given all the DBs we have. I thought Jacquet's size gave him more of a shot to replace Rasul

Just now, RLC said:

I never understood the Arnold hype given all the DBs we have. I thought Jacquet's size gave him more of a shot to replace Rasul

The hype came from Howie talking about him. 

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

The downside is it gives other teams more time to study up and discuss them. 

Don't they get the same waiver wire bidding period as everyone? Or am I wrong on that? Like x period of time from when they were released regardless of when that was?

Just now, DEagle7 said:

Don't they get the same waiver wire bidding period as everyone? Or am I wrong on that? Like x period of time from when they were released regardless of when that was?

All these guys they will have till tomorrow at 4. Anyone cut Saturday will have till Sunday at 1PM to claim 

Just now, ManuManu said:

If he cant make the cowboys team with his ex coach that he started with and played with for so many years of his career, then I dont want to touch him. 

2 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

I got it mixed up thinking they were being told of the move without going on waivers until the cut down day. But they officially announced the moves, so they will have the same amount of time. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

2020 season officially over 

Huh? They waived both Warren and Holyfield?

Looks like Corey Clement is back to form, good for him.    (That's the only way I figured both Holyfield and Warren would have been waived).

That's really bad news for Dillard (and the Eagles).  Time for some guys to step up to the plate.  

Archived