Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

1 minute ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I believe the turning point was my burger and wine pairing. Pretty inspirational, I know. You're welcome! :angel

Must have been inspired that we told them they suck

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

Crazy, how they suck. But then just turn it around in one period. 

Yeah playing the Buffalo Sabres who’ve lost 18 in a row makes it possible 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Who are my fellow masochists tonight? Luckily, I have wine. :ph34r:

I think Bourbon and Scotch might have to be the official drinks for watching the Flyers.  At least for me.

Another game where they can only play 1 good period.  Luckily it was enough to get an OT win.  Against most other teams they would have held the L.  But, hey, it's Buffalo. 

To me this is a combination of the coaching staff and the long term vets on the team.  If they fail to make the playoffs this should be blown up (though I doubt the corporate ownership cares much).  Try and trade the old vets, even if you get little back but get rid of their albatross contracts, and bring in a new coaching staff that can motivate a young team.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Very true. 

6 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

I think Bourbon and Scotch might have to be the official drinks for watching the Flyers.  At least for me.

Another game where they can only play 1 good period.  Luckily it was enough to get an OT win.  Against most other teams they would have held the L.  But, hey, it's Buffalo. 

To me this is a combination of the coaching staff and the long term vets on the team.  If they fail to make the playoffs this should be blown up (though I doubt the corporate ownership cares much).  Try and trade the old vets, even if you get little back but get rid of their albatross contracts, and bring in a new coaching staff that can motivate a young team.

i have been resolutely opposed to trading Giroux (and Jake to a lesser extent) for awhile now (full disclosure: I own his signed jersey), but you're right. If this season turns out as it appears to be, you have to from a business -perspective.

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Holy f***, I had to look that up. They really are that bad :roll:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Holy f***, I had to look that up. They really are that bad :roll:

The Flyers have managed to go to overtime against them twice and lose a game to them

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The Flyers have managed to go to overtime against them twice and lose a game to them

They play BUF again Wednesday I believe.  The Sabres will break their streak.

27 minutes ago, devpool said:

What is Fletcher doing.....

Reports are clearing cap space for a bigger move. Still incredibly stupid. 

15 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

if they fire av, you are dealing with another dave hakstol situation because they are paying av 15 million dollars and if you think a coach is going to turn every player that hextall drafted into a superstar you need your head examined because he didnt draft well, if he did, we wouldnt be here regardless of who is coaching this team. coaches are just motivators they are not miracle workers that pick this players, that's the job of the gm that created this mess ron hextall, no one else.

Fire Fletch and AV before they can do any more damage on the way out. If anyone's gonna go scorched-earth, let the next regime do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Reports are clearing cap space for a bigger move. Still incredibly stupid. 

Yea doesn't make any sense. Gustaffson is only 1.5 cheaper and has played exponentially worse, so unless they are planning a trade that requires every bit of Ghost's 4.5 mil they are actively tanking.

AV's excuse was "lineup flexibility". That screams "the GM made a move and idk why, this is what they told me to say". Others have noted that ghost has been speaking out against the team lately (i haven't found his comments to be that inflammatory) and that's why he was waived.

Ownership has been the problem for the last 40 years with this team. I mean holy cow...what a stupid move

18 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Getting rid of a problem.  Obviously AV doesn't care for the guy.  Not the first coaching staff to have an issue with Ghost.  The whole team should be put on notice.

My issue is dumping him when you could've probably gotten at least something in a trade.

• Like 1

You have to assume that they did try. 

Unless Ghost is a Deshawn Watson situation about to break, no franchise in any sport just lets a guy walk out the door without trying to get *anything* for him. 

On the other hand, this had better be a move for Ellis or Ekholm

The organization needs a whole new look from top to bottom. They need a "brain trust" and new blood in the coaching and scouting ranks, but I don't think a mega-corporation like Comcast has either the expertise or the emotional investment needed to manage a successful NHL franchise.

Who’s been on the top pairing with Provorov most of the season?  He’s a +4, while Sanheim and Meyers are both -13, yikes.  Ghost was a +1

Nolan Patrick — seven points in 34 games .... and a -20!  As a forward, wow — flip that kid for something while you still can 

2 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Who’s been on the top pairing with Provorov most of the season?  He’s a +4, while Sanheim and Meyers are both -13, yikes.  Ghost was a +1

Nolan Patrick — seven points in 34 games .... and a -20!  As a forward, wow — flip that kid for something while you still can 

Provorov has had a revolving door of partners since the season started.

They'll likely give Patrick a mulligan for this season considering it was almost 2 years since he played a hockey game.

17 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

The organization needs a whole new look from top to bottom. They need a "brain trust" and new blood in the coaching and scouting ranks, but I don't think a mega-corporation like Comcast has either the expertise or the emotional investment needed to manage a successful NHL franchise.

seriously, you are so brainwashed over what hextall did and you are blaming everyone else for his failure on picks but him. the fact that he didnt draft good d besides provy and sanheim behind hart is a freaking disgrace, instead of going after d he throws money at jvr and jake and role player forwards is dumb it's a problem since pronger and timms left. the failure is on the hextall no one else, if you cant accept that, move on to another team because no one is getting fired and players you like are getting moved like it or not.

4 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

seriously, you are so brainwashed over what hextall did and you are blaming everyone else for his failure on picks but him. the fact that he didnt draft good d besides provy and sanheim behind hart is a freaking disgrace, instead of going after d he throws money at jvr and jake and role player forwards is dumb it's a problem since pronger and timms left. the failure is on the hextall no one else, if you cant accept that, move on to another team because no one is getting fired and players you like are getting moved like it or not.

I'm didn't bring up Hextall at all. He certainly committed his own errors, but it doesn't mean the others don't suck in their own right. One can entertain the idea that Hextall had some glaring shortcomings that hamstrung this team, while also realizing that the team's coaching and management have royally screwed up in the long-term.

Replacing patrick/lindblom with two AHLers and playing gustaffson over ghost all in one game seems like a recipe for disaster, so of course they'll probably win this game with no issues. I think they'll get the doors blown off the though.

AV said he wanted lindblom and Patrick to have a break. 

Anniversary dinner for me tonight. Why ruin a beautiful evening? Lol.