Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

42 minutes ago, Procus said:

Here's the kicker - Wentz is best positioned to bounce back in Indy.  It's a perfect situation for him - familiarity with his old OC and old QB Coach, good OL, small town Midwestern market.  Combine that with starting out with a clean slate, new teammates, no back biting Philly media and fans.   With a situation like that, it's much more likely that he plays good again.  If you look at the big picture, 2020 was an aberration in so many ways.

It brings to light just how dysfunctional this team had become and how far we had fallen in just a couple short years.  Shame on Howie and Lurie for letting it get that far.  They have no problem meddling in other areas they shouldn't ... why not when the 2 most important pieces of the team are on some childish no talking kick?!?!  

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

And other reports said Doug didn't want to bench Wentz, and Lurie and Howie forced him to.  Another report last week said Wentz has no problem with the coaches or organization, just Howie.

Doug's press conferences all year defended Carson, said he believes in him to get it worked out, and even blamed O line, injuries and his receivers and coaching.

Then when Hurts played well and beat the Saints, Doug downplayed his performance and said yeah he has a lot to work on and said it's a team effort.  It seemed like Doug was going out of his way to defend Wentz, and to not give Hurts too much credit.

The truth is often somewhere in the middle. I think Doug tried his best to make it work while maintaining some degree of accountability, but Wentz wasn't having it. He wanted an unconditional endorsement to be the Eagles starting QB for life.

Jason LaCanfora adding to the fire:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/desperate-for-a-reset-eagles-dealing-carson-wentz-to-colts-was-addition-by-subtraction/

Wentz, according to team and league sources, had been falling out of favor with the locker room as well, unable to connect with a swath of players, acting more in self interest than what would be expected from a franchise quarterback and leader. Losing and adversity had brought out the worst in him, he didn't handle losing his spot to Jalen Hurts with aplomb and, as reported here within days of him losing his job, a plethora of NFL general managers and executives were already predicting Wentz's rapid exodus from Philadelphia after the season, even as Eagles officials pleaded there was nothing to see here and Wentz remains a key part of the organization.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The same QB coach who didn't help him progress and didn't get on him to improve the last 2 years you mean. 

Not only that, but Press is his security blanket. I wouldn't be suprised if Indy signed Sudfeld as his backup to make Carson feel all warm 'n cozy...

Will be interesting to see what else comes out.  Will any players leak anything?  It's tough when so much is reporters.  Especially these national reporters that report things the local beat writers seem to not know about.

We know Malcolm Jenkins said the coaches coddled his ego too much and didn't hold him accountable.  I wonder what else will come out.

45 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I think it falls neatly in line with everything we've seen from Wentz these last couple of years, and Schefter is pretty reliable. Time to face the music, Eagles fam: Wentz is a weak-minded, emotionally insecure loser. He might very well find some success in Indy if Reich plays psychologist for him, but it was never gonna work out here. Wentz ain't built for Philly 

I mean yeah it does fit in with what we have heard and read. Perhaps it's slightly exaggerated but there's probably an element of truth. The reality is Carson was only elite here for one year and the rest was up and down. That wasn't all his fault but he has to take some blame. 

1 minute ago, Birdman said:

Not only that, but Press is his security blanket. I wouldn't be suprised if Indy signed Sudfeld as his backup to make Carson feel about warm 'n cozy...

They certainly aren't going to sign a good back up who may threaten Wentz!

6 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I hope Indy uses their 2nd rd pick on a QB in April!  :excited:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Untitled-design-6.jpg

17 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Wentz, according to team and league sources, had been falling out of favor with the locker room as well, unable to connect with a swath of players, acting more in self interest than what would be expected from a franchise quarterback and leader.

This does not shock me.  At.  All.  

Did you see how the team reacted when Hurts came in to play?  It was like they all shifted into high gear and started playing hard again.  Nobody wanted to play with Carson.  This is not just last year.  Alshon Jeffery had a pretty well-documented spat with him, too.  There's probably more that we haven't heard.  

I still feel good about this.  We're in cap hell for 1 year, but after that we are starting to look pretty good again.  

If Howie had just made a normal draft pick in the 2nd round last year instead of trying to be a "QB factory" none of this would have happened. I said the night of the draft this would piss Wentz the F off. Instead of drafting help they drafted a QB controversy. I really hope Wentz sucks in Indy. If he's amazing that's gonna sting. 

28 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

If Howie had just made a normal draft pick in the 2nd round last year instead of trying to be a "QB factory" none of this would have happened. I said the night of the draft this would piss Wentz the F off. Instead of drafting help they drafted a QB controversy. 

Howie made the correct call in drafting a QB. I said it at the time that it was a much needed hedge against Wentz, who had by then failed to complete a season for three straight years due to injury.

It's ridiculous that people seem to think that either drafting another player would've magically made Wentz a competent QB in 2020, or that the team should actually not have drafted QB, even though they desperately needed a competent backup, simply because it would "hurt Wentz's feewings" if they drafted competition. It's pathetic. Coddling him is how we got here, and the way out certainly wasn't more of the same.

3 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Howie made correct call in drafting a QB. I said it at the time that it was a much needed hedge against Wentz, who had by then failed to complete a season for three straight years due to injury.

There were so many other needs in that spot. Any of them more needed then a QB controversy. You don't give a guy over 100 million and then draft ANOTHER QB in the Second round. That's just stupid. So either he didn't think Wentz was the guy and was an idiot to pay him or he did think Wentz was the guy and made a idiotic draft pick. 

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

You don't give a guy over 100 million and then draft ANOTHER QB in the Second round. That's just stupid.

You do if you realize you F'd up.

Just now, Uscg-green said:

If Howie had just made a normal draft pick in the 2nd round last year instead of trying to be a "QB factory" none of this would have happened. I said the night of the draft this would piss Wentz the F off. Instead of drafting help they drafted a QB controversy. I really hope Wentz sucks in Indy. If he's amazing that's gonna sting. 

That's bull, how do you know that?

The so called Franchise QB could not win ONE game on his own, enough said about the baby who didn't want to play for you so he picked up his ball and left.

3 minutes ago, Wink said:

That's bull, how do you know that?

The so called Franchise QB could not win ONE game on his own, enough said about the baby who didn't want to play for you so he picked up his ball and left.

So you don't think it's bull to pay a guy over 100 million then turn around and draft ANOTHER QB in the 2nd round where you draft starters? If he wasn't a franchise QB why pay him like one?

9 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

You do if you realize you F'd up.

Like I said. Either Howie is an idiot for paying Carson or is an idiot drafting Hurts. Whichever one it is he deserves to be gone. 

6 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Like I said. Either Howie is an idiot for paying Carson or is an idiot drafting Hurts. Whichever one it is he deserves to be gone. 

Howie drafted Hurts because Carson has never been able to be healthy enough to win play in a whole playoff game.  If we had a decent backup 2 years ago we might have beaten Seattle.  

38 minutes ago, xBMTx said:

Wentz = Cancer.

What a stupid thing to post, your hatred of that level proves you’re a hobo living under a bridge with an obama phone

1 minute ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Howie drafted Hurts because Carson has never been able to be healthy enough to win play in a whole playoff game.  If we had a decent backup 2 years ago we might have beaten Seattle.  

Problem with that is you don't draft backups with second round picks. 

4 minutes ago, olsilverhair said:

What a stupid thing to post, your hatred of that level proves you’re a hobo living under a bridge with an obama phone

If reports are true, that's exactly what he is.

Just now, Uscg-green said:

So you don't think it's bull to pay a guy over 100 million then turn around and draft ANOTHER QB in the 2nd round where you draft starters? If he wasn't a franchise QB why pay him like one?

Did I want the receiver yes, but when has Wentz played a full season, he felt he needed insurance.

The mistake was he did it 2 rounds early.

21 minutes ago, olsilverhair said:

Slurppppppp.

I could never imagine the Eagles having a qb with more of a fragile ego than McNabb. But here we are....

5 years 0-1 in the playoffs 

4 minutes ago, xBMTx said:

Slurppppppp.

I could never imagine the Eagles having a qb with more of a fragile ego than McNabb. But here we are....

Tell em 

34 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Part of the reason they paid wentz was to get ahead of the cowboys in their resigning of Dak.  Howie wanted to make sure to sign wentz first or they may have had to overpay.  He didn’t expect the boys to hold firm and not throw the brinks truck at dak.  Another example of Howies ineptitude 

Do you guys think he'll issue a goodbye letter to us fans? 

I would lose the little respect that I still have for him if he doesn't. I'll always be thankful for 2017, but he'd be a **** in my head. 

Archived