Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

5 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

75%.. what if he gets benched for poor play? Is it just injury?

There’s gotta be a clause that they can’t just bench him at 74% just to F us.  

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

A malcontent? Where has Wentz made one comment bad mouthing the organization? He's kept his mouth shut through all of this. 

Been plenty of speculation regarding him behind the scenes. Granted it’s anonymous sources, but I believe in the whole if there’s smoke mentality. I also don’t think he’s much of a leader. You could see the difference in the overall team morale when Nick or Jalen would come in. 

18 minutes ago, Procus said:

Well when you think about it, the trade SAVES the Eagles a considerable amount of money.  Looks like you're referring to the cap hit.

Well it frees up $800K in 2021 cap space, but we are still paying a player $33.8M that won’t be here to contribute in any capacity.  Anyway, this seemed inevitable, so just glad it is over and also that we are incurring the full dead money hit this year so that we can better position ourselves starting next year.  

2 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Yes, I know. That doesn't mean they didn't make an offer as was being reported two weeks ago.

Strange thing about the Bears, they’ve been around forever and w/o looking it up online, just off the top of your head who’s their great franchise QB?   McMahon? Cutler?   It’s crazy to think they haven’t even had a Carson Wentz level starter since forever, unless I’m missing somebody.  

31 minutes ago, DBW said:

There’s gotta be a clause that they can’t just bench him at 74% just to F us.  

No coach would "disrespect" the game of football like that.

35 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Well it frees up $800K in 2021 cap space, but we are still paying a player $33.8M that won’t be here to contribute in any capacity.  Anyway, this seemed inevitable, so just glad it is over and also that we are incurring the full dead money hit this year so that we can better position ourselves starting next year.  

From what I've read, while the cap hit is massive, the Colts are paying his salary. 

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/18/philadelphia-eagles-dead-cap-hit-nfl-history-wentz-trade-colts/

Trading Wentz saves the Eagles $25.4 million in base salary that would have been paid in 2021 and $15 million in salary that would have become guaranteed in 2022.

Wentz has $25.4 million in full guarantees for 2021, which includes his $15.4 million base salary that became guaranteed last March.

The Colts are now on the hook for Wentz’s salary and a $10 million roster bonus due on the third day of the league year.

The media in this city is disgusting. Months and months of this guy sucks, and now it's "I can't believe they traded him." 

7 minutes ago, wyote said:

The media in this city is disgusting. Months and months of this guy sucks, and now it's "I can't believe they traded him." 

I will say that, while I knew we weren't creating a dynasty, I expected us to remain competitive for years. I never would have guessed the entire team would have imploded after winning the Super Bowl. How many people are still on the 53 man roster from Super Bowl Champions? Five? Seven? Ten? 

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

I will say that, while I knew we weren't creating a dynasty, I expected us to remain competitive for years. I never would have guessed the entire team would have imploded after winning the Super Bowl. How many people are still on the 53 man roster from Super Bowl Champions? Five? Seven? Ten? 

They were an old team even then. A lot of people noticed that. 

5 hours ago, Mr_Philly said:

So the question is, will Howie do it to Hurts now and draft another QB in the first round, I would lmao, quarterback factory.

He is still too busy pretending that Hurts is Russell Wilson to draft a QB.

9 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Right on.  The issue is Howie.  It is the culture of the organization.  That Brandt tweet hit the nail on the head.   Whether you wanted him to stay or not, this is a failure on every level.  We should never be at this point, jettisoning an investment, and eating the cap.  

Completely. They had a guy who they thought was their guy. They invested resources to go get him, they gave him a big contract and he did at times show how good he was. But they fundamentally messed this up. They didn't give him really good weapons. They used a 2nd round pick last year on a QB instead of a player who could have had a real impact. They did this crazy 2 QB system thing when it just was so forced. 

6 hours ago, ShutDownDB said:

When was the last time Howie had a banger of a draft? Has he ever? The one pro-bowl player he has drafted since 2014(?) is now gone...its F'ing 2021!!!! Since Lurie clearly has a blind spot for Howie, I'm about to board the Lurie needs to sell the team train. 

This ish is ridiculous, honestly.

You aren’t going to get any argument from me about Howie drafting well, but you also know he’s going nowhere. We have two options now. We hope he finds a way to kill it in the draft over the next few years or hope he fails so miserably Lurie is forced to fire him. 

6 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

I hope he does. We need a Franchise QB. Although I don't trust Howie to pick the right one. 

Dude we need a better roster more than a franchise quarterback. We were spinning our wheels and going nowhere with a guy and no team. Build the team up first. 

3 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/doug-pederson-quote-2017-carson-211101919.html

Doug in a video with John Lynch talking about how great Carson is and saying " as long as we don’t screw him up”

Now show the video of Doug leaping for joy when they drafted Hurts, and Howie fawning over him like he’s Russell Wilson and Lamar Jackson. The Eagles definitely played their part in screwing this kid up on many levels from babying him to rewarding him before he earned it, and eventually acting like he wasn’t that important. This separation was probably in the works soon after that Seattle playoff game.

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Dude we need a better roster more than a franchise quarterback. We were spinning our wheels and going nowhere with a guy and no team. Build the team up first. 

The team starts at the QB position. And the O line. 

3 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

The team starts at the QB position. And the O line. 

Both are a concern going forwards. I know people have faith in the OL when healthy but that's my concern. We have decent back ups that can step in at times but I don't think many of them are legit long term starters. And at this point can we say with much confidence that Lane and Brooks can absolutely stay healthy? We don't know if Kelce will return and we have real question marks at LT.

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Now show the video of Doug leaping for joy when they drafted Hurts, and Howie fawning over him like he’s Russell Wilson and Lamar Jackson. The Eagles definitely played their part in screwing this kid up on many levels from babying him to rewarding him before he earned it, and eventually acting like he wasn’t that important. This separation was probably in the works soon after that Seattle playoff game.

This team never had any clear direction, I don't think even they knew how they won that super bowl. After the development of Wentz derailed they didn't know how to get it back on track. They just made one stupid move after another to get it back to where it was in 2017 pre Wentz injury. 

53 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Both are a concern going forwards. I know people have faith in the OL when healthy but that's my concern. We have decent back ups that can step in at times but I don't think many of them are legit long term starters. And at this point can we say with much confidence that Lane and Brooks can absolutely stay healthy? We don't know if Kelce will return and we have real question marks at LT.

I think LT is my least concern with Mailata/Dillard. Competition and may the best man win. Seumalo is average, Kelce may retire, and Brooks/Lane have health issues. If Sewell is sitting there at 6 you gotta take him. Trade Lane to a contender and go young at OT with Sewell, Mailata, Dillard, Driscoll. 

7 hours ago, Procus said:

From what I've read, while the cap hit is massive, the Colts are paying his salary. 

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/18/philadelphia-eagles-dead-cap-hit-nfl-history-wentz-trade-colts/

Correct, they are on the hook for his base salary (which is $15.4M) and the $10M roster bonus (that is due next month) for 2021.  Honestly, $25M is peanuts these days for a starting QB - if they are successful in getting him to elevate his play somewhat, it is a steal for them.  Seems like a win win for both sides as we also free up $800K in cap space this year and create an additional $31M in cap space in 2022.  

Wentz_1.PNG

7 hours ago, wyote said:

Who is saying that?  Seems everybody and their mother knew this was inevitable.  

10 hours ago, thedanone82 said:

I'm waiting for him to use our first on another QB to complete the trash fire.

I'm surprised at how many think this is actually going to happen.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Completely. They had a guy who they thought was their guy. They invested resources to go get him, they gave him a big contract and he did at times show how good he was. But they fundamentally messed this up. They didn't give him really good weapons. They used a 2nd round pick last year on a QB instead of a player who could have had a real impact. They did this crazy 2 QB system thing when it just was so forced. 

There was no clear logical strategy to the moves they've made over the past few seasons focused on working toward a vision ... they seem like nothing more than a collection of willy nilly random acts, flying by the seat of their pants kind of moves.  

34 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I think LT is my least concern with Mailata/Dillard. Competition and may the best man win. Seumalo is average, Kelce may retire, and Brooks/Lane have health issues. If Sewell is sitting there at 6 you gotta take him. Trade Lane to a contender and go young at OT with Sewell, Mailata, Dillard, Driscoll. 

Hey I don't disagree but then if LT is the least of your concerns then why draft Sewell? We know Dillard can't play RT... 

Archived