JJ Arcega-Whiteside Tracker - [The Unofficial DK Metcalf Topic]

philafan4o8

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

He still here? :ph34r:

In all his glory too

image.thumb.jpeg.9c2221cfadc0621ca8c49cfd8eda16de.jpeg

On 2/2/2021 at 11:15 AM, xxeaglesfanxx said:

I keep reading things that say to watch out for him next year.  Did they not see the same JJ that we all saw last year?  He didn't even record double digit receptions.  He was a healthy scratch for almost the entire second half of the season.  How is it that he even gets a roster spot next year when they have some guys behind him that have shown some more potential?

Unless we deal him in a surprising move, there's no reason why he shouldn't compete for a roster spot in 2021. I have a lot of of criticism for how the previous coaching staff handled the offense and decided the personnel for game day and in games. So many things didn't make sense. We know JJAW didn't get many snaps all season and the staff chose to use other players over him. That is the same staff that decided to get Jeffery back into the offense over Fulgham coming off an impressive 5-game stretch. 

My advice --- forget everything about 2020 and let this new staff figure out who they like and figure out how to get them to succeed. If JJAW wins a spot and gets playing time, hopefully he'll produce. If he can't win a spot, then let him go. 

Man I was hoping I would get to see some new 2020 JJAW route running videos. Too bad.... 😂

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Man I was hoping I would get to see some new 2020 JJAW route running videos. Too bad.... 😂

You'll have to wait for the 2021 videos where he is no longer stuck in the Lame Doug offense. 

7 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

You'll have to wait for the 2021 videos where he is no longer stuck in the Lame Doug offense. 

He seemed more like he was stuck on the bench than stuck in an offense. 

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

He seemed more like he was stuck on the bench than stuck in an offense. 

Where was this offense you speak of?

30 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Where was this offense you speak of?

Well now that the crap coach (who won a Super Bowl) and the crap quarterback (who never won a playoff game) are out maybe your prodigy (who can’t even dress over practice squad players) will get a chance to show us how much he really can’t play. 

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well now that the crap coach (who won a Super Bowl) and the crap quarterback (who never won a playoff game) are out maybe your prodigy (who can’t even dress over practice squad players) will get a chance to show us how much he really can’t play. 

Sounds like that's what you're hoping. I'm just hoping that players that we already have improve and produce. But since we're on the subject of Doug's offense, maybe you can tall me (since 2016) what Eagles WR had a stand-out year in regard to the rest of the NFL that year?  

38 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Sounds like that's what you're hoping. I'm just hoping that players that we already have improve and produce. But since we're on the subject of Doug's offense, maybe you can tall me (since 2016) what Eagles WR had a stand-out year in regard to the rest of the NFL that year?  

The TE position was always a favorite for Wentz. Nelson Agholor caught over 60 passes twice for the Eagles. That’s pretty good for a receiver. In the 2017 playoffs there were numerous plays made by wide receivers. We don’t know how good Jackson and Jeffery could have been, because they couldn’t stay healthy. None of that has anything to do with the fact JJAW couldn’t see the field. If he were good enough he would have played. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The TE position was always a favorite for Wentz. Nelson Agholor caught over 60 passes twice for the Eagles. That’s pretty good for a receiver. In the 2017 playoffs there were numerous plays made by wide receivers. We don’t know how good Jackson and Jeffery could have been, because they couldn’t stay healthy.

So ... no? No standout seasons by NFL standards?

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

None of that has anything to do with the fact JJAW couldn’t see the field. If he were good enough he would have played. 

You mean like Fulgham once Jeffery returned? Or when Peters started over Mailata at LT and Herbig at RG, or Gerry at LB over Singleton to begin the season? 

Face it, this coaching staff was not making good decisions until injuries forced them to. 

On 2/2/2021 at 8:10 PM, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

In all his glory too

image.thumb.jpeg.9c2221cfadc0621ca8c49cfd8eda16de.jpeg

You only showed half the picture 👍

J JAW.png

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

So you're moving the goal posts now that it's Doug's offense hasn't produced a WR that is a standout from the rest of the NFL (which you can also blame on Howie) to defend that JJAW doesn't even get to dress for the game?  Those are 2 completely different arguments.

If the WRs suck so bad, why can't JJAW even dress for a game?  In 2019 all the WRs were injured and JJAW had 10 catches for the year.  Ward stepped off the practice squad and had 28 catches in less games.  

This year - again a year with injured WRS - JJAW had only 4 catches.  Ward had 53, Fulgham 38, Reagor 31, Hightower had 10.

JJAW has had all the opportunity in the world. He sucks.

It's not Carson, it's not Doug.  JJAW is not a good player. He might be the strangest scrub player to defend I've ever seen.

20 minutes ago, NOTW said:

So you're moving the goal posts now that it's Doug's offense hasn't produced a WR that is a standout from the rest of the NFL (which you can also blame on Howie) to defend that JJAW doesn't even get to dress for the game?  Those are 2 completely different arguments.

If the WRs suck so bad, why can't JJAW even dress for a game?  In 2019 all the WRs were injured and JJAW had 10 catches for the year.  Ward stepped off the practice squad and had 28 catches in less games.  

This year - again a year with injured WRS - JJAW had only 4 catches.  Ward had 53, Fulgham 38, Reagor 31, Hightower had 10.

It's not Carson, it's not Doug.  JJAW is not a good player. He might be the strangest scrub player to defend I've ever seen.

Completely agree. This is not a knock on Sirianni but he is not going to get anything out of this scrub. He can’t play! There are guys on our practice squad that should have his spot and this is not an exaggeration. 

Whiteside is a 50/50 WR that can’t catch 50/50 balls. He got no separation at Stanford and he has stayed true to that in the NFL. The fact he was even drafted in the 2nd round was incredible. 

close the book on this guy. It’s over. If he is still on the roster That mean Howie is not going to admit defeat. The man has been given 2 years to show something. It’s gotten so bad that someone has to make a video showing when Whiteside might have been open lol

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

I am suggesting that there's something dysfunctional about the WR position in Doug's offense. It's possible that a lot of it is related to the QB himself. There's plenty of film out there showing WRs getting open and not being thrown to. So much just from Wentz in the videos that have already been posted, but since he'll no longer be our "issue," here's an example from Hurts:

... and you mentioned Fulgham ... Weird how his production went straight down when his snap count did the same ... In JJAW's case, you can't produce if you don't play. They gave him 41 snaps in the finale (without Wentz) and, lo and behold, he produced (2 receptions 40 yards (of our 98 net yards passing), 1 DPI drawn for 21 more yards), hustled and played well. There was nothing there, no connection, between Wentz and JJAW. But in the preseason (2019) game where we played McCown, JJAW caught 8 passes for 104 yards and a TD in a game that was barely over 3 quarters long. JJAW is also a terrific blocker which is something Sirianni really wants in his WRs. So I guess I'm really being weird here wanting to get one more look at JJAW (in Sirianni's offense) who has been a viable receiving option to every QB not named Wentz. 

What's really "strange" to me is that I even have to defend the "idea" of keeping him for OTAs, TC and (hopefully there will be a) preseason in 2021 to give him a chance under the new regime to win a roster spot. 

8 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

It’s gotten so bad that someone has to make a video showing when Whiteside might have been open lol

The guy that makes those videos does breakdowns of a lot of players. I only posted the JJAW vids he made to prove that some of what you're saying is pure BS. I can't make you watch them or make you even watch Eagles games for that matter. All I can say is that I tried to make persuasive arguments in this thread using videos to back up my stance. None of you have provided video to support your claims. All I have received in return is the bad photoshop pics, the umbrella pic (courtesy of NOTW), and some strawman rebuttals (courtesy of Easy). I challenged all of you to do more than just gripe, but I set my expectations too high obviously. 

Metcalf had 20 catches by week 5. JJAW might have 20 catches by year 5.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I am suggesting that there's something dysfunctional about the WR position in Doug's offense. It's possible that a lot of it is related to the QB himself. There's plenty of film out there showing WRs getting open and not being thrown to. So much just from Wentz in the videos that have already been posted, but since he'll no longer be our "issue," here's an example from Hurts:

... and you mentioned Fulgham ... Weird how his production went straight down when his snap count did the same ... In JJAW's case, you can't produce if you don't play. They gave him 41 snaps in the finale (without Wentz) and, lo and behold, he produced (2 receptions 40 yards (of our 98 net yards passing), 1 DPI drawn for 21 more yards), hustled and played well. There was nothing there, no connection, between Wentz and JJAW. But in the preseason (2019) game where we played McCown, JJAW caught 8 passes for 104 yards and a TD in a game that was barely over 3 quarters long. JJAW is also a terrific blocker which is something Sirianni really wants in his WRs. So I guess I'm really being weird here wanting to get one more look at JJAW (in Sirianni's offense) who has been a viable receiving option to every QB not named Wentz. 

What's really "strange" to me is that I even have to defend the "idea" of keeping him for OTAs, TC and (hopefully there will be a) preseason in 2021 to give him a chance under the new regime to win a roster spot. 

The guy that makes those videos does breakdowns of a lot of players. I only posted the JJAW vids he made to prove that some of what you're saying is pure BS. I can't make you watch them or make you even watch Eagles games for that matter. All I can say is that I tried to make persuasive arguments in this thread using videos to back up my stance. None of you have provided video to support your claims. All I have received in return is the bad photoshop pics, the umbrella pic (courtesy of NOTW), and some strawman rebuttals (courtesy of Easy). I challenged all of you to do more than just gripe, but I set my expectations too high obviously. 

Say what you want. The former eagles coaching staff watched the tape and were not impress. This man was a healthy scratch a few times this season. Was outperformed by literally every WR on the active roster. Let me name a few DeSean (he barely played and out produced him), Alshon (same as Desean), Quez Watkins (need I say more?). How is it that he is the only one that cannot produce or get some targets? Any Joe Smoe can make a film breakdown showing times when a player was open. Might be able to do the same with Mac Hollins or FredEx film.

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

Say what you want. The former eagles coaching staff watched the tape and were not impress. This man was a healthy scratch a few times this season. Was outperformed by literally every WR on the active roster. Let me name a few DeSean (he barely played and out produced him), Alshon (same as Desean), Quez Watkins (need I say more?). How is it that he is the only one that cannot produce or get some targets? Any Joe Smoe can make a film breakdown showing times when a player was open. Might be able to do the same with Mac Hollins or FredEx film.

JJAW had a good training camp this year according to the coaches. He played exclusively at X. X is Jeffery's spot and the coaches thought they'd be getting Jeffery back sooner than they actually did. But they knew Jeffery would be unable to start the season. So they used that opportunity to move Reagor from Z to X so he could get some game experience. Reagor hurt his thumb in week 2 opening up a great opportunity for JJAW in week 3. JJAW hurt his calf in the pre game warmups and was only able to play 18 snaps before leaving the game. He then missed all of week 4 which forced the team to use Fulgham at X (because Jeffery still hadn't returned yet and Reagor still was weeks away himself). Fulgham made the most of his opportunity and held down the position for the next 4 games. Then in a very odd decision, the eagles decided to replace Fulgham with Jeffery once Jeffery was activated. Then Jeffery split time with Fulgham for the remainder of the year at X (with Jeffery getting the bulk of the snaps) until week 17. Then JJAW got an opportunity to play in that game and was our best WR. 

So ... going off snap counts:

Jeffery : 202 snaps, 13 targets, 6 catches, 115 yards, 1 td

JJAW   : 141 snaps,   8 targets, 4 catches,  85 yards

Their production was pretty much identical per snap

Now Quez did a pretty good job once he was healthy and was given some snaps. They kind of moved him around and I think they'll continue to do that again next season. He plays fast and we need to find out where he fits best.I expect them to ask him to push Ward for playing time at slot.  Reagor will be the Z next year with Hightower backing him up. 

If any Joe Shmoe can make a film breakdown, then do it and prove what you claim is happening is actually happening. I'll actually watch them if you take the time to post them. The truth is JJAW struggled as a rookie to do things correctly, but improved a little bit by the end of the season. Then he had a strong camp before this season, but was buried behind Regor (while he was at X), Fulgham and Jeffery for most of the season. That does not mean he hasn't improved or can't play. Clearly the decision to play Jeffery made no sense. We can only speculate why they chose to, but nothing came of it. The decision to stick with Fulgham  before Jeffery's return was a no-brainer. Starting the season with Reagor  was clearly an attempt to acclimate him to the NFL. Jeffery will be gone and Reagor will be the Z next year. So Fulgham should be the frontrunner for X unless we draft a WR high. That leaves the door open for JJAW to compete for the starting spot and a roster spot. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 11:54 PM, brkmsn said:

JJAW had a good training camp this year according to the coaches. He played exclusively at X. X is Jeffery's spot and the coaches thought they'd be getting Jeffery back sooner than they actually did. But they knew Jeffery would be unable to start the season. So they used that opportunity to move Reagor from Z to X so he could get some game experience. Reagor hurt his thumb in week 2 opening up a great opportunity for JJAW in week 3. JJAW hurt his calf in the pre game warmups and was only able to play 18 snaps before leaving the game. He then missed all of week 4 which forced the team to use Fulgham at X (because Jeffery still hadn't returned yet and Reagor still was weeks away himself). Fulgham made the most of his opportunity and held down the position for the next 4 games. Then in a very odd decision, the eagles decided to replace Fulgham with Jeffery once Jeffery was activated. Then Jeffery split time with Fulgham for the remainder of the year at X (with Jeffery getting the bulk of the snaps) until week 17. Then JJAW got an opportunity to play in that game and was our best WR. 

So ... going off snap counts:

Jeffery : 202 snaps, 13 targets, 6 catches, 115 yards, 1 td

JJAW   : 141 snaps,   8 targets, 4 catches,  85 yards

Their production was pretty much identical per snap

Now Quez did a pretty good job once he was healthy and was given some snaps. They kind of moved him around and I think they'll continue to do that again next season. He plays fast and we need to find out where he fits best.I expect them to ask him to push Ward for playing time at slot.  Reagor will be the Z next year with Hightower backing him up. 

If any Joe Shmoe can make a film breakdown, then do it and prove what you claim is happening is actually happening. I'll actually watch them if you take the time to post them. The truth is JJAW struggled as a rookie to do things correctly, but improved a little bit by the end of the season. Then he had a strong camp before this season, but was buried behind Regor (while he was at X), Fulgham and Jeffery for most of the season. That does not mean he hasn't improved or can't play. Clearly the decision to play Jeffery made no sense. We can only speculate why they chose to, but nothing came of it. The decision to stick with Fulgham  before Jeffery's return was a no-brainer. Starting the season with Reagor  was clearly an attempt to acclimate him to the NFL. Jeffery will be gone and Reagor will be the Z next year. So Fulgham should be the frontrunner for X unless we draft a WR high. That leaves the door open for JJAW to compete for the starting spot and a roster spot. 

You wrote all this nonsense to basically tell us that Jeffery and JJAW both suck. We know that already, but it sure doesn’t answer the question as to how JJAW was a healthy scratch even during times when Jeffery wasn’t even playing. The Eagles felt more confident using Reagor and Hightower (guys who barley knew the playbook and what routes to run) over JJAW in his second season. Heck in 2019 the Eagles had grocery baggers and used car salesmen getting more playing time than JJAW. Oh and their wide receivers coach is the same guy who was there last season. JJAW better come out like gangbusters if he wants to make this squad, because he’s already on the roster bubble. 

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

You wrote all this nonsense to basically tell us that Jeffery and JJAW both suck. We know that already, but it sure doesn’t answer the question as to how JJAW was a healthy scratch even during times when Jeffery wasn’t even playing. The Eagles felt more confident using Reagor and Hightower (guys who barley knew the playbook and what routes to run) over JJAW in his second season. Heck in 2019 the Eagles had grocery baggers and used car salesmen getting more playing time than JJAW. Oh and their wide receivers coach is the same guy who was there last season. JJAW better come out like gangbusters if he wants to make this squad, because he’s already on the roster bubble. 

You clearly didn't read the whole post. I explained the entire path the coaches took regarding his playing time. This team ended up 4-11-1. Do you think the previous coaching staff made all the right calls? Feel free to bask in their glorious 2020 decisions if you want to. For some reason a lot of these coaches are no longer working here. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

You clearly didn't read the whole post. I explained the entire path the coaches took regarding his playing time. This team ended up 4-11-1. Do you think the previous coaching staff made all the right calls? Feel free to bask in their glorious 2020 decisions if you want to. For some reason a lot of these coaches are no longer working here. 

Do you think that JJAW was the player that was stopping a 4 win season? Wow dude give it up. Yeah I think the won only 4 games, because their roster was decimated by injuries, and their quarterback had a horrible season to go with the coach having a bad season. JJAW not playing was not the reason. 🤦🏾‍♂️

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Do you think that JJAW was the player that was stopping a 4 win season? Wow dude give it up. Yeah I think the won only 4 games, because their roster was decimated by injuries, and their quarterback had a horrible season to go with the coach having a bad season. JJAW not playing was not the reason. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Were those my words? No. I said we were 4-11-1 because of many bad decisions. Do you think we were correct to start Gerry over Singleton? Peters over Mailata/Herbig? Jeffery over Fulgham?

3 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Were those my words? No. I said we were 4-11-1 because of many bad decisions. Do you think we were correct to start Gerry over Singleton? Peters over Mailata/Herbig? Jeffery over Fulgham?

It’s interesting because all of these guys who started over the other guy has history on the team. Meanwhile JJAW has history over Fulgham, Reagor, Hightower, Watkins, and all of the no named receivers from 2019 and STILL didn’t get any run. I don’t think it’s the coaches fault that guy wasn’t playing. Furthermore if the WR coach thought the kid could play he wouldn’t have been inactive all those game especially when both Jackson and Jeffery were out with injuries. There were rumors the Eagles were trying to trade the guy, but nobody wants him. 

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I agree with you and I don't see any other way to spin it.  

WRs were decimated with injury, and JJAW barely produced in both seasons.  A 2nd round pedigree entering his 2nd year where he should be more familiar with the playbook, Jeffrey and Jackson hurt, Reagor hurt, Goedert and Ertz out at times...he had all the opportunity in the world.  

10 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s interesting because all of these guys who started over the other guy has history on the team. Meanwhile JJAW has history over Fulgham, Reagor, Hightower, Watkins, and all of the no named receivers from 2019 and STILL didn’t get any run. I don’t think it’s the coaches fault that guy wasn’t playing. Furthermore if the WR coach thought the kid could play he wouldn’t have been inactive all those game especially when both Jackson and Jeffery were out with injuries. There were rumors the Eagles were trying to trade the guy, but nobody wants him. 

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

I agree with you and I don't see any other way to spin it.  

WRs were decimated with injury, and JJAW barely produced in both seasons.  A 2nd round pedigree entering his 2nd year where he should be more familiar with the playbook, Jeffrey and Jackson hurt, Reagor hurt, Goedert and Ertz out at times...he had all the opportunity in the world.  

You guys are messing up the time line to fit your narrative.

Jeffery (X) wouldn't end up being ready until week 10 (game 9).

Jackson (Z) started weeks 1-3.

Hightower (Z) filled in for Jackson. 

Reagor (drafted to be Z) ended TC and began the year starting at (X) until Jeffery was ready (that was the plan). 

Reagor (Temp X) injured his thumb in week 2 and would miss the next 4 games.

JJAW set to start at (X) in week 3 and injures calf during warmup. misses the game and week 4 as well.

Fulgham filled in at (X) in week 4, earned the start in week 5 and was the most productive WR in the NFL over the next 4 games. 

Jackson (Z) missed weeks 4-6 and returned in week 7 only to get hurt returning the punt late in the game. 

Reagor had returned and was moved (back) to (Z) to be the starter in place of Jackson. 

Then week 10 (game 9) arrived, Jeffery was back and the team began alternating Jeffery and Fulgham at (X)

JJAW (X) was a healthy scratch behind the duo of Jeffery(X) and Fulgham (X) from that point through week 16 (game 15). 

So ... please explain to me all the receivers that were playing (X) in front of JJAW (X) this season. Reagor (Z) filled in early (at X) and I think we all wanted him out there getting experience. Then when it looked like JJAW was the next man up, he got hurt. Fulgham (X) surprised everybody with his performance and rightfully moved ahead of JJAW. Jeffery (X) eventually returned, and took back the starting (X) spot with Fulgham (X) backing him up. You guys are purposely skewing the time line to paint an uglier picture of what really happened. You are also ignoring the position parameter that affected who was ahead of JJAW and when. JJAW is an (X) in our offense. He is not a (Z). He can play slot, and lines up there occasionally (like every WR), but Ward is the starting slot WR and was available every week. JJAW got his best opportunity in week 17 and actually had a nice game. Did he win a job for 2021? No. But he did take advantage of his latest opportunity and it would be nice to see him build off that moving forward. I'm not going to sit here and promise you that he will. I do feel, however, that's it's kind of weird how some fans here are writing him off completely , not wanting him to be part of anything moving forward, and basically just crapping on the guy. I mean is it him you all hate so much? Is it because Howie drafted him? Is it because we didn't have Metcalf on our draft board and chose him instead? To me, it almost seems like some of you need JJAW to be a bust so you can hold that against Howie (as if Lurie cares how many times you post, "Howie must go!" )

My stance is that he's currently under contract. He's familiar with the players we have. We'll have a new offense this year, so he'll have to learn that. But our new HC really loves to use WRs that can block and JJAW is our best (and most willing) blocking WR. Since we did invest a 2nd round pick on him and have him under contract, I won't be shocked to see him given a fair shot to earn a roster spot and possibly some playing time in 2021. 

P.S. Link me one of those JJAW trade rumors :roll:

Blah blah TL;DR.

End of 2019 all starting Wrs injured. Ward got more catches in less games. 

2020 he couldn't get on the field, had "injuries" and healthy scratch. Mid-round rookies and guys plucked from practice squads step in and make plays. 

The guy sucks.

Archived