Board technical issues

Moderator12

3 hours ago, beater29 said:

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I haven't logged on in a while and I noticed that my old log in and password no longer work.  I also noticed that my email isn't recognized.  I have been a member since almost the inception of the message boards so I was just wondering if any of my history was saved or if it was all deleted with whatever happened.

Thanks

This is a brand new message board not directly affiliated with the Philadelphia Eagles. Your old info wouldn't work for that reason. You would have had to register with all new information.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

@Moderator12 not really a bug, but its no fun not seeing BANNED under a trolls name after they are banned.

With the new software, when the button gets pushed, it bans them but doesn't automatically move them to that group.  I have to manually change the group.

The old board was like that as well. 

On 11/5/2020 at 5:07 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

This is a brand new message board not directly affiliated with the Philadelphia Eagles. Your old info wouldn't work for that reason. You would have had to register with all new information.

Ok, thanks.  I sort of figured as much.  Is there a way to recover any old info like the number of posts beneath our username because.....dang.  Oh well...I guess a fresh start might be nice.

1 hour ago, beater29 said:

Ok, thanks.  I sort of figured as much.  Is there a way to recover any old info like the number of posts beneath our username because.....dang.  Oh well...I guess a fresh start might be nice.

@VaBeach_Eagle may be able to help you. 

2 hours ago, beater29 said:

Back on April 15th, Dave announced that the Eagles decided to do away with the board. Within just a matter of minutes of that announcement, things were set in motion to save the EMB by moving to a new home (here). A news story was even done on it, which you can see the video of it here: 

Since this is a brand new board and not the actual old EMB, the stats from the old EMB couldn't be automatically transferred (we tried to get the Eagles to give us the old boards database but the last time I heard from Dave, back before the season started, he said that 'legal' was looking into it but was busy with the start of the season).

Before the old board shut down on April 30th, I archived a bunch of stuff on Archive.org (I was an archiving fool for about 2 weeks there, lol), including a good bit of the old members list which included a good bit of member profiles and stats (about 100 pages of the old members list). Once we opened this new EMB, I was able to adjust people's stats here, to match their stats on the old EMB. That was pretty easy to do for our first 10 days of operation, because the old EMB was still open at that time. Once they closed though, I had to use the archive. That's a bit more time consuming and cumbersome, but doable. 

If you want to search the old member list for your profile, you can find the archive here. If you find yourself, copy the link and either PM it to me, or you can post it here:

To search the archive, you can't click the links (in the archive) like you normally would. You have to right click on the page number and open it in a new tab. Clicking the page number like you normally would, doesn't work. If you know about how many posts you had, it makes it easier to find your profile.

If you can't find your profile, let me know and when I can, I'll see if I can find it but it may be a little while before I can do the search.

I tried to archive as much as I could, between April 15th and April 30th, just to get a 'record' saved, seeing as the board had been around for 20 or so years. Here's a direct link to the last archive of the old EMB before it closed down:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200430205348/https://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/

Dave's closure announcement: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20200429190814/https://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/topic/762971-discussion-boards-closing-down/

The 'New EMB' announcement thread:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200430210109/https://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/topic/762989-new-emb/

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

@VaBeach_Eagle I wonder if we need another upgrade again. The board has gotten slow again in recent weeks.

9 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Board is really slow

I haven't been on much (family stuff), looking at the number of online guests/members, it hasn't been more than our busiest times so I'm a little surprised that it's been slow but I'll look at the server logs and see what needs to be done. Could be that disabling guest access and forcing them to log in (join), may solve that issue.  Has it only been during games when it's been slow?

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I haven't been on much (family stuff), looking at the number of online guests/members, it hasn't been more than our busiest times so I'm a little surprised that it's been slow but I'll look at the server logs and see what needs to be done. Could be that disabling guest access and forcing them to log in (join), may solve that issue.  Has it only been during games when it's been slow?

Yeah, it's just been during game days when a higher than expected volume of traffic comes in.

6 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yup. Only noticed during games

Also hope all is well with your family

It's only a problem during games, and I would assume it would be again during the draft but otherwise is it worth the money (this is fan-funded after all)?  

Just now, Mike030270 said:

Can you add a feature that lets you ignore quotes from people you're ignoring? Kind of pointless to ignore someone only to see their posts when someone else quotes them

@Moderator6 @VaBeach_Eagle

I don't know if that's something that can be done. I'll have to check with Invision to see if it's a feature. I always found that annoying on the old board too. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 12:57 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't know if that's something that can be done. I'll have to check with Invision to see if it's a feature. I always found that annoying on the old board too. 

Any update to this?

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Any update to this?

I posted on their client forum and so far there hasn't been a response. I'll bump it and see if anyone can answer it. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2020 at 4:30 PM, Mike030270 said:

Any update to this?

So far, the only response that I've gotten is from someone who's working on an add-on to do this. He isn't from Invision, he's sort of an independent programmer. So when it's finished, it'll cost to get his plugin. Not a whole lot, but if we were to upgrade the board, we'd lose his plugin and have to buy a new one for the new version. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

So far, the only response that I've gotten is from someone who's working on an add-on to do this. He isn't from Invision, he's sort of an independent programmer. So when it's finished, it'll cost to get his plugin. Not a whole lot, but if we were to upgrade the board, we'd lose his plugin and have to buy a new one for the new version. 

Thanks for looking into it at least

Depending on the cost we can let the board decide. 

How many upgrades are left? I thought we were at or near the top

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Thanks for looking into it at least

Depending on the cost we can let the board decide. 

How many upgrades are left? I thought we were at or near the top

Invision released their latest version a month or two ago. There's a couple of things that might be nice to have, but they aren't posting features, they're 'geek' features. Mainly raw stat tracking where I can see exactly the number of users and things like that and break it down by day and that feature isn't enough to go through the headache of an upgrade. 

Like I said though, the cost is minimal, $10. So if everyone (or a good number of people) wants it, I can certainly get it and it won't break the bank. 

7 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Invision released their latest version a month or two ago. There's a couple of things that might be nice to have, but they aren't posting features, they're 'geek' features. Mainly raw stat tracking where I can see exactly the number of users and things like that and break it down by day and that feature isn't enough to go through the headache of an upgrade. 

Like I said though, the cost is minimal, $10. So if everyone (or a good number of people) wants it, I can certainly get it and it won't break the bank. 

Would it be difficult on your end to add it though? Don't want to make things more difficult when you've done all this for us

14 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Would it be difficult on your end to add it though? Don't want to make things more difficult when you've done all this for us

10 years ago, it would have required me to go into the code and insert the custom code in the appropriate places. Now? I'm not sure. I think they've automated the process for custom add-ons but I haven't done any in about 10 years so I can't say for sure.  

6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

10 years ago, it would have required me to go into the code and insert the custom code in the appropriate places. Now? I'm not sure. I think they've automated the process for custom add-ons but I haven't done any in about 10 years so I can't say for sure.  

Would the upgrade to the latest improve performance?  Or just deliver the new functionality?  I think the only real need is handling high traffic periods.

14 hours ago, NOTW said:

Would the upgrade to the latest improve performance?  Or just deliver the new functionality?  I think the only real need is handling high traffic periods.

Just new functionality. This upgrade is only to the software. Gameday performance improvement would require a hosting package upgrade. 

I've been thinking about doing that (upgrading to the next higher hosting package), but with so few games left, I've been hesitant. I actually even started to make a poll to see what everyone thought, since the boards funds are essentially 'community owned', having been donated. 

Upgrading that now would use up funds and in return we'd get more hosting resources (2 more GB of RAM and 1 more CPU) but with no games after January 3rd, traffic will drop to manageable levels and those extra resources won't be needed until the draft. 

RAM hasn't really been the issue, but CPU usage on gamedays has been the issue. You can see from the image below how gamedays (for November and December) tax the 3 (virtual) CPUs that we have access to but RAM has been fine.

(Warning: Below is "Geek out" Hosting Stat stuff ... lol)

Spoiler

USAGE.JPG

So adding an additional CPU would (should) help. But there's what, 2 more games left? If everyone can put up with the annoyance for 2 more games (assuming, of course that we don't go all the way! :thumbsup: ), we can save those funds and upgrade shortly before the draft. The difference in price between the new plan and the current plan is $15/mo. Not a huge amount, but that's roughly about $75 that we'd save by holding off until the Draft. 

The issues are 3 hours on gameday so 16 times a year, and in the draft the first few rounds.  Otherwise it works great.  Might not be worth using all the funds, unless people want to donate more.