Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

20Safety_Hazards

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm still buzzing from seeing it a couple of days ago. It needs another few watches and it needs time but I think when the dust settles it'll be in my top 5 MCU films. In fact it may very well be top 3.

Top 3, wow.  I think we have to see on re-watch once the nostalgia piece is gone how good of a movie is it.  Like the last one Far From Home, this one for me had a couple plot points that didn't make any sense.  And there are things they should not have done or done differently but they did it so the movie's plot could happen the way they want.  

The writers even admitted in a recent article I saw that they know the movie had plot holes especially the ending.  They said they just wrote what felt emotionally satisfying to them, and that they can write their way out of any plot holes in the future.  This is what I keep saying on here about these movies where fans have questions why didn't they do this or that.  We put more thought into it than the writers sometimes, because they just want what looks good on film or feels good.  

Examples:

Spoiler

Strange could have just cast a spell that everyone would forget Mysterio instead, or forget he ever revealed his identity.  At the end, he could have cast a spell again that everyone forgets Peter Parker is Spider-Man which was the first spell he tried to cast.  It raises too many questions like so was Spider-Man part of Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame and the previous Spidey movies but now people don't know that was Peter Parker?  The writers did say that you can assume the spell took care of any technology like photos, news articles, videos about him being Spider-Man, Flash's book, etc.  But, Spider-Man still exists so does that mean time was re-written and he joined the Avengers just as Spider-Man and not Peter Parker?  The reason Tony was able to recruit him was he found out Peter Parker's address.

Also, I don't get how Edith (Tony's AI system) wouldn't have recordings of all the bad things Mysterio did.  I mean, they cleared him legally but you would think there would be video Edith could access and they could make that go viral to clear Peter's name.  Or the group of people that were there could defend Peter.  Ned, MJ, Flash, the teachers, other students, Happy...they all could attest that Mysterio was evil and destroying London and Peter was the hero.  Flash is constantly going live on social media anyway.

I see what they're trying to do though with the end.  They are trying to distance him from the Avengers stuff especially since Tony, Cap and Natasha are gone and there aren't Avengers anymore they're all spread apart.  So they want to reduce it down to Spider-Man stand-alone movies again, they're bringing Venom into the Spider-Man MCU and now connecting DareDevil and Kingpin so they can do localized stories in New York with those characters.

But the good stuff was the characters from the other movies and having Matt Murdock, in fact him showing up might have been my favorite surprise because I knew the other Spider-Man characters would be in it.  They had imbalance in screen time for the villains, it felt like they wanted to give Jaime Foxx more screen time and to make his character cooler than he was in the other one.  Also I thought Toby and Andrew should have had a more grand entrance.  They show up like "oh, hi."  And despite a comment from Ned that his grandma always thought he was "magic" it was dumb that he could operate a sling ring immediately but it took Strange all that training to learn.  They should have skipped that stuff with Ned and just has the other Spider-Men show up in a more fun way.

Still, great fun and perfect nostalgia and entertaining.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOTW

• 20Safety_Hazards

• UK_EaglesFan89

• Boogyman

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Top 3, wow.  I think we have to see on re-watch once the nostalgia piece is gone how good of a movie is it.  Like the last one Far From Home, this one for me had a couple plot points that didn't make any sense.  And there are things they should not have done or done differently but they did it so the movie's plot could happen the way they want.  

The writers even admitted in a recent article I saw that they know the movie had plot holes especially the ending.  They said they just wrote what felt emotionally satisfying to them, and that they can write their way out of any plot holes in the future.  This is what I keep saying on here about these movies where fans have questions why didn't they do this or that.  We put more thought into it than the writers sometimes, because they just want what looks good on film or feels good.  

Examples:

Reveal hidden contents

Strange could have just cast a spell that everyone would forget Mysterio instead, or forget he ever revealed his identity.  At the end, he could have cast a spell again that everyone forgets Peter Parker is Spider-Man which was the first spell he tried to cast.  It raises too many questions like so was Spider-Man part of Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame and the previous Spidey movies but now people don't know that was Peter Parker?  The writers did say that you can assume the spell took care of any technology like photos, news articles, videos about him being Spider-Man, Flash's book, etc.  But, Spider-Man still exists so does that mean time was re-written and he joined the Avengers just as Spider-Man and not Peter Parker?  The reason Tony was able to recruit him was he found out Peter Parker's address.

Also, I don't get how Edith (Tony's AI system) wouldn't have recordings of all the bad things Mysterio did.  I mean, they cleared him legally but you would think there would be video Edith could access and they could make that go viral to clear Peter's name.  Or the group of people that were there could defend Peter.  Ned, MJ, Flash, the teachers, other students, Happy...they all could attest that Mysterio was evil and destroying London and Peter was the hero.  Flash is constantly going live on social media anyway.

I see what they're trying to do though with the end.  They are trying to distance him from the Avengers stuff especially since Tony, Cap and Natasha are gone and there aren't Avengers anymore they're all spread apart.  So they want to reduce it down to Spider-Man stand-alone movies again, they're bringing Venom into the Spider-Man MCU and now connecting DareDevil and Kingpin so they can do localized stories in New York with those characters.

But the good stuff was the characters from the other movies and having Matt Murdock, in fact him showing up might have been my favorite surprise because I knew the other Spider-Man characters would be in it.  They had imbalance in screen time for the villains, it felt like they wanted to give Jaime Foxx more screen time and to make his character cooler than he was in the other one.  Also I thought Toby and Andrew should have had a more grand entrance.  They show up like "oh, hi."  And despite a comment from Ned that his grandma always thought he was "magic" it was dumb that he could operate a sling ring immediately but it took Strange all that training to learn.  They should have skipped that stuff with Ned and just has the other Spider-Men show up in a more fun way.

I mean ultimately yes Spidey was still part of civil war, Infinity War and Endgame because that's Spidey not Peter. Only a handful of people in that battle knew who Spidey is. That said... I don't know why Strange made such a deal of saying he wouldn't remember Peter. I'm sure Peter could pop along to Bleacher Street and explain.

Let's close out the year with a ranking of this year's MCU content both movies and Disney+ shows.  I know a lot of people liked Loki a lot more and would probably swap it with Hawkeye but I didn't like Loki.  

*I didn't see Eternals yet, will see on Disney+ Jan 12th.

1. Spider-Man: No Way Home
  2. WandaVision
  3. Shang Chi
  4. Hawkeye
  5. Black Widow
  6. The Falcon and Winter Soldier
  7. Loki
  8. What If...?
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

Examples:

Hide contents

so for your first paragraph, it's not like they had a bunch of time to hash out how they would make the spell. It was kind of like Peter brought it up and strange wanted to show off. Also, they don't explain in detail how the spell works, so trying to make the past make sense is pointless. 

Then, it is possible that Edith, had recordings and all the other main players spoke out about what really happened, but in today's mediascape, would it really matter? Everyone makes opinions from the first info they see, and then anything can be skewed to fit their narrative. Fully plausible that everything came out and he was acquitted but people still think he's guilty. 

And with meds sling ring, Dr strange had mangled hands and zero confidence when he first started. All the others in training were seemingly passing him before he gained the confidence. Perfectly plausible that Ned saw the sparks from the sling ring, had seen one used before and figured it out.

1 minute ago, BFit said:

Hide contents

so for your first paragraph, it's not like they had a bunch of time to hash out how they would make the spell. It was kind of like Peter brought it up and strange wanted to show off. Also, they don't explain in detail how the spell works, so trying to make the past make sense is pointless. 

Then, it is possible that Edith, had recordings and all the other main players spoke out about what really happened, but in today's mediascape, would it really matter? Everyone makes opinions from the first info they see, and then anything can be skewed to fit their narrative. Fully plausible that everything came out and he was acquitted but people still think he's guilty. 

And with meds sling ring, Dr strange had mangled hands and zero confidence when he first started. All the others in training were seemingly passing him before he gained the confidence. Perfectly plausible that Ned saw the sparks from the sling ring, had seen one used before and figured it out.

Well:

Spoiler

They had plenty of time, what was the rush?  Even after the spell, Strange was mad Peter didn't even just first try to appeal the MIT decision.  Strange could have stopped and said Peter think this through, or Strange could have been more responsible and not messed with the spell to begin with.  While he gave warnings, he still went right ahead and did it.  I get it, the movie had to happen.  And they wanted the reason that only characters from previous Spider-Man movies (and not just anyone from other universes) would show up was directly related to Peter Parker.  

Sure, the media landscape and people have their opinions.  Nevertheless, you provide video evidence to counter it, and key eyewitnesses who are trustworthy and that kills the narrative.  

I took the others in Doctor Strange to already have been studying and yes his hands were injured.  Still, it was way too convenient for Ned to figure it out on his own.  These are the kind of things writers do for a neat scene but it doesn't make sense.  

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Let's close out the year with a ranking of this year's MCU content both movies and Disney+ shows.  I know a lot of people liked Loki a lot more and would probably swap it with Hawkeye but I didn't like Loki.  

2. WandaVision
  3. Shang Chi
  4. Loki
  5. Hawkeye
  6. Black Widow
  7. The Falcon and Winter Soldier
  8. What If...?

This is what mine would be. And What If...? is a very, very, very distant 8. I thought it was awful 

• Like 1

These thoughts are tied to various posts over the past few weeks. One that’s come up if I’m not mistaken is that "Peter is still poor and iron man/Tony wasn’t covering him financially”

pre-infinity war, they’d only interacted a handful of times and Tony was trying to keep him grounded as a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Then infinity war happens and both Peter and Aunt May blip. Tony then lives 5 years becoming married and having a daughter. 

Peter and May blip back a whipping 30 mins before Tony dies. Was he supposed to have Friday set up a trust fund in the midst of the Avengers HQ get blown the F up and Thanos army arriving? If anything people should be sheeting on Pepper for not hooking the lil homie and his auntie up. 

second thing… same topic. I don’t know if a far from home flaw was EDITH. Tony wouldn’t have set up his whole A.I. network to go to Peter prior to infinity war, and after infinity war Peter doesn’t exist to Tony 100% is not setting up protocols for EDITH glasses to go to Peter. He wouldn’t even have discussed plans with Pepper or Happy or Fury or anyone else that "if Peter somehow returns to existence, make him the heir of my technology” 

3 hours ago, Agent23 said:

pre-infinity war, they’d only interacted a handful of times and Tony was trying to keep him grounded as a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Then infinity war happens and both Peter and Aunt May blip. Tony then lives 5 years becoming married and having a daughter. 

We only see them interact a handful of times. What we do know is that Tony sees Peter as a son and really cares about him. He is his father figure in IW and in Homecoming. He gives Peter EDITH after his death. He obviously has a close relationship with Peter. We see that in his loss in IW and in Endgame.

On 12/31/2021 at 4:05 PM, NOTW said:

2. WandaVision
  3. Shang Chi
  4. Hawkeye
  5. Black Widow
  6. The Falcon and Winter Soldier
  7. Loki
  8. What If...?

I like the way your completely left the eternals of this :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We only see them interact a handful of times. What we do know is that Tony sees Peter as a son and really cares about him. He is his father figure in IW and in Homecoming. He gives Peter EDITH after his death. He obviously has a close relationship with Peter. We see that in his loss in IW and in Endgame.

How does he give him Edith after his death tho? Peter is dead for 5 years in Tony’s world and once Peter returns, Tony is dead within a half hour. Tony isn’t going to have Edith set to go to a nonexistent person for the past X number of years. 

2 hours ago, Agent23 said:

How does he give him Edith after his death tho? Peter is dead for 5 years in Tony’s world and once Peter returns, Tony is dead within a half hour. Tony isn’t going to have Edith set to go to a nonexistent person for the past X number of years. 

Well I don't know perhaps he prepared it in the eventuality of his death? He does do a video for Morgan... Whatever the case he did give Peter Edith after he died. Edith standing for Even Dead I'm The Hero. 

14 hours ago, BFit said:

I like the way your completely left the eternals of this :lol:

Ah, I didn't see it yet so can't rank it. I'll see it on Disney+ in a couple weeks. I'll add that * thanks ^_^

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

FB_IMG_1641189031191.jpg

My brother thinks Sony are going to go and create their own spider verse now. They will let Disney use Spidey as they have so far and Sony will benefit doubly from it.

As long as Tom Holland stays on as Spiderman, I have a hard time believing Sony and Disney don’t agree to more movies together. The money both sides are able to make off this arrangement both in movies and merchandising is just insane.  Once Tom is done, which could happen sooner rather than later, I could see Sony relaunching and using the new Spiderman as part of their venom universe. 

• Like 1

As for No Way Home. I loved it. Dont have time to really dive into it all, but wanted to join the conversation. 

I agree with NOTW that there are some plot holes, specifically the way it ended. Personally, I think the plot holes are way worse than far from home.  However, what the movie does exceptionally well is character development. Save for strange, I felt like every main contributor to the plot of this film had compelling story lines. I loved Holland in this movie. I thought this was his best performance in the role to date. For a movie with as big a cast as it did, it was great that the story still was primarily about Spiderman and not overshadowed by other characters, like how Tony overshadowed a lot of the first two movies. Overall, my favorite MCU project this year.  Followed by WandaVision, then Shang Chi.  Still haven’t gotten around to see Black Widow or Eternals yet but it’s on my list. 

1 hour ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

I agree with NOTW that there are some plot holes, specifically the way it ended

But as NOTW and others have said... That is true of all movies. All movies have plot holes and questions because writers have to write themselves in to and out of things all the time. 

1 hour ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

As for No Way Home. I loved it. Dont have time to really dive into it all, but wanted to join the conversation. 

I agree with NOTW that there are some plot holes, specifically the way it ended. Personally, I think there plot holes are way worse than far from home.  However, what the movie does exceptionally well is character development. Save for strange, I felt like every main contributor to the plot of this film had compelling story lines. I loved Holland in this movie. I thought this was his best performance in the role to date. For a movie with as big a cast as it did, it was great that the story still was primarily about Spiderman and not overshadowed by other characters, like how Tony overshadowed a lot of the first two movies. Overall, my favorite MCU project this year.  Followed by WandaVision, then Shang Chi.  Still haven’t gotten around to see Black Widow or Eternals yet but it’s on my list. 

I rewatched it last night, it still holds up as a strong movie with the surprise & nostalgia worn off now. Agreed with Holland, his arc & performance in that movie were excellent. Like the writers killed it with him in this movie.

And yeah the plot holes were more noticeable this time around too, but the good far outweighs the bad in my opinion. I’m still keeping it as my favorite superhero movie of all time. 

• Like 2

I still really recommend Eternals. I think it’s a great one, and I’m looking forward to rewatching when it hits Disney+. Looking forward to your guys thoughts, though I fully expect @NOTW to hate it because I feel we always have opposite opinions on movies/shows 😂

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But as NOTW and others have said... That is true of all movies. All movies have plot holes and questions because writers have to write themselves in to and out of things all the time. 

Agreed. As I said in my high level non-spoiler review I thought the good in the movie, and there is a lot to love in this movie, far outweigh the questions I had re: the plot holes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can accept the ones where they almost tongue-in-cheek explain why other Avengers can't show up, or chalk it up to a bad decision by a character (like Strange being annoyed Peter didn't talk to MIT first).

But the ones that don't make sense and could easily be taken care of with a couple lines of script are annoying. 

These movies need to have the Honest Trailer & Pitch Meeting guys pre-screen them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw Eternals on Disney +

Spoiler

It was ok. The humor helped out a lot because it dragged a lot IMO

Fight scenes were nice

Kept wondering how they could do this without Thor and Captain Marvel though. The world is literally ending and you don't have the big powerhouses to save Earth? I know it's the Eternals movie but it's just difficult to watch a global catastrophe and not wonder how they're not there

• Like 1