Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

20Safety_Hazards

14 hours ago, NOTW said:

2nd time watching the Eternals as I've been watching the MCU with my son.

I enjoyed it more 2nd time. I think one problem was the placement after Endgame, it's tough with everything prior being connected to the Avengers storyline. 

Some parts were a little cerebral which can be refreshing but things can be missed on first watch. 

39 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

The Eternals is such a weird movie for me. Like it’s gorgeously shot, I love the cast, I can even understand why the character acted as they did and the overall story makes sense. But I feel like they skipped over the most interesting story beats.  Like I wanted to see Thena go mental and Gilgamesh work to help her,  I wanted to see Phastos faith in humanity and it ultimately be destroyed after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I want to see Druig’s arc after he "quit” the mission and his life in the commune. For me, there was so much great character work to be mined from these stories and you just killed it all by making them vignettes. Meanwhile you have this love jealousy Sprite arch that completely comes out of left field because we have no real time to set it up in the film.  I remain convinced that if they created a a miniseries of the characters for everything leading up to endgame you could have had a really great movie.  

Said that after I first saw it. A 6 episode limited series showing them arrive on earth, and each episode going further forward in time until you near present day. Show some of the things they did through history (helping man, fighting deviants) and build their relationships and characters. 

Then a film with the emergence storyline.

Having 11 new superheros in one film was way too much.

• Like 3

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOTW

• 20Safety_Hazards

• UK_EaglesFan89

• Boogyman

41 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

The Eternals is such a weird movie for me. Like it’s gorgeously shot, I love the cast, I can even understand why the character acted as they did and the overall story makes sense. But I feel like they skipped over the most interesting story beats.  Like I wanted to see Thena go mental and Gilgamesh work to help her,  I wanted to see Phastos faith in humanity and it ultimately be destroyed after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I want to see Druig’s arc after he "quit” the mission and his life in the commune. For me, there was so much great character work to be mined from these stories and you just killed it all by making them vignettes. Meanwhile you have this love jealousy Sprite arch that completely comes out of left field because we have no real time to set it up in the film.  I remain convinced that if they created a a miniseries of the characters for everything leading up to endgame you could have had a really great movie.  

All good points.

Whenever you introduce something that counters other mythology or principles in the same "universe" of movies it creates questions or problems.  Prior to MCU most movies were standalone.  But how do you explain that Celestials are the ones who create life and created Deviants and the Eternals with powers and that humans are just batteries to charge the next Celestial (Matrix much?) and have that co-exist with other parts of the MCU, multi-verse, etc.   They didn't intervene with Thanos because they were supposed to only stop Deviants...but then the true purpose was to birth a new Celestial and losing half the population affected that goal so it's weird that Arishem wouldn't have them stop Thanos.  

It just doesn't make sense when you put all the pieces together.

5 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

id8rfptcxxca1.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

I saw this one earlier today.  Question 2 any one of those 4 can be correct.  Spider-man is the only hyphen, only teenager, only one without a cape, Batman is the only one without super powers, only one to not wear red, Doctor Strange is the only one that uses his name, only one whose name does not end in man, only one whose not an orphan, and Superman is the only Alien.  

This Trivia night is a disaster. 

7 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

I saw this one earlier today.  Question 2 any one of those 4 can be correct.  Spider-man is the only hyphen, only teenager, only one without a cape, Batman is the only one without super powers, Doctor Strange is the only one that uses his name, only one whose name does not end in man, and Superman is the only Alien.  

This Trivia night is a disaster. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn’t finish Thor love and thunder and just fell asleep trying to watch wakanda forever. $hits going downhill 

6 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Couldn’t finish Thor love and thunder and just fell asleep trying to watch wakanda forever. $hits going downhill 

I enjoyed both but I know a lot didn't and I get that. But I do think the MCC is now starting to fade. And that's hardly a surprise after over 10 years of dominance. It was always going to happen. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I enjoyed both but I know a lot didn't and I get that. But I do think the MCC is now starting to fade. And that's hardly a surprise after over 10 years of dominance. It was always going to happen. 

I mean how can you follow up all the lead ins to Infinity War and End Game?  It's all going to be anti-climatic after that!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

L&T was terrible, one of the worst MCU. The Thor solo movies have overall been a bad mini franchise. Ragnarok wasn't great, but it was fun and rewatchable at least.

Wakanda Forever was just ok. It felt a little sloppily made at times. They did what they had to do about T'Challa and paid nice tribute.

Shuri was too obvious to become BP but she had no fighting skills. Nakia would have been a better choice. Shuri is skinny & weak.

Villains were good though. 

The loophole is that the herb gives you strength no matter how skinny and weak you are before it. 

6 hours ago, NYEagle said:

I mean how can you follow up all the lead ins to Infinity War and End Game?  It's all going to be anti-climatic after that!

Well yeah I mean they needed to get creative. Problem is I think they've gone too grand with this phase. There's too much. 

52 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

The loophole is that the herb gives you strength no matter how skinny and weak you are before it. 

True but they were also supposed to earn it first without powers, they made a big deal of that in the first movie. They abandoned that tradition. But doing gymnastics and having fighting technique doesn't come from the herb. Shuri was never physical, she was the lab nerd.

44 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well yeah I mean they needed to get creative. Problem is I think they've gone too grand with this phase. There's too much. 

Multiverse, time & Kang is the new Thanos & infinity stones.

The recent phase was doing more solo stories while sprinkling in preparation for Kang who was teased in Loki. There wasn't really any truly great content, it was either terrible, average or pretty good. 

They said Quantumania will kickoff phase 5 with Kang. Hopefully it gets better. 

• Like 1

Watch WTF Forever last night. Impaling doesn't work these days? Writers sure lucked into thinking up child without love

Crammed with too much fanboy crap.

This will be an interesting one to keep an eye on

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/disney-shareholders-set-vote-peltz-april-3-annual-meeting-2023-02-07/

If Peltz get's on the Disney board, there will be blood on the boardroom floor.  I'm not sure how they can stop Petlz with the share price and other quality issues with Marvel, Star Wars, etc

I enjoyed Wakanda Forever.  This is not CVON however, so I'll refrain from ripping the things I didn't like in this thread.

• Haha 1

Wakanda Forever was ok, but the plot felt disjointed to me - was almost like two or three different movies wrapped up into one.  Some touching moments but the villain sucked IMO

Wakanda was better than the last few offerings...... yea I'm looking at you Thor, among others.  But it was still a let down. In the end I was torn between it being a tribute or a cash in on Boseman's passing.

The villan was a great idea......but poorly written and poorly cast. 

All in all yet another Marvel movie I could care less to watch again. The last 5 or so years have not been good to this franchise.

Endgame is becoming aptly named.

This is welcomed news. Hopefully this brings more quality back. 

image.thumb.jpeg.50b2a188461da581c2fd25c1195b8653.jpeg

• Like 1

Long overdue.  Even with good quality, it would have been too much.  For me it had become "How can I miss you if you never leave?".

Heard quantumania described as "if you were disappointed with phase 4, this kicks off what you've been waiting for" 

11 hours ago, BFit said:

Heard quantumania described as "if you were disappointed with phase 4, this kicks off what you've been waiting for" 

I’ve seen varying things about it. A ton of praise for Majors as Kang, some people are saying it has "spy kids” type of effects/design. I think it’ll movie that brings in a ton of ranging opinions.

I’ll be watching it tomorrow

5 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I’ve seen varying things about it. A ton of praise for Majors as Kang, some people are saying it has "spy kids” type of effects/design. I think it’ll movie that brings in a ton of ranging opinions.

I’ll be watching it tomorrow

This movie is going to be one of the most polarizing movies the MCU has produced since Iron Man 3.  I've heard some people say the Special Effects are garbage, while others praising the special effects as creating one of the most unique visual movies in the MCU.  

I've heard plot is a bit jumbled and that this movie does not work outside of the MCU, while others saying it's setting up the next phase in a way that really brings the various stories together.  

The only constant I have seen is that Kang is incredible.  And for that I am excited.  Seeing it on Saturday.