Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I never really doubted this guy, you can check all of my posts in this very thread. I've always been the cautiously optimistic fan preaching patience with young players while all the armchair blowhards give me short shrift and parade around their supposedly next-level ability to analyze QB play, mostly acting like proof is superfluous because they "just know" he can't ever be a reliable NFL QB. They did the same thing with Foles. Some people really need to just shut the f*** up, watch, and listen once in awhile.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Do you get some special award because you didn't doubt when he played like crap? Philly fans have passion, which means we get it wrong sometimes, but it comes from a genuine love for the team. I'd rather be who I am than someone compelled to remain silent and watch and wait.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's too early to eat crow and crown him IMO but social media is already calling for MVP and a SB

I'll wait until the end of the season

Didn't get to watch or listen to the game but the stats looks like he had a 2nd great game. Only thing that bothers me is we were only able to score in 1 quarter. Defense pretty much shut them out so that helps

6 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Do you get some special award because you didn't doubt when he played like crap? Philly fans have passion, which means we get it wrong sometimes, but it comes from a genuine love for the team. I'd rather be who I am than someone compelled to remain silent and watch and wait.

He never really played "like crap" in a general sense; he played like a young, inexperienced player in less-than-ideal conditions who needed the requisite amount of time and proper coaching to show us what he could really be. And the thing is, I didn't do anything special, but it's very sad how lacking in common sense people are around here. I merely did the very easy, logical thing and said "Well, I know he's struggled at times, but these could just be growing pains. You often don't really know what an NFL QBs potential is until about their 3rd or 4th year as a starter in the the league."

I’ll echo sentiments I made in the GDT yesterday. 

I obviously had no reason to criticize Hurts after the MNF game. I did however feel he had three boxes he needed to check off. 

First, don’t fall flat after a great game, against a division opponent with Wentz on the other side…check. 

Second, his first two outings against Dallas haven’t gone well. Both in Dallas. To many of us, they are still our most hated rival. Must play great against them in a few weeks at home…TBD. 

Finally, call it fair or not, Jalen’s success leading into this season hasn’t come against great opponents. Mostly, it has come against bad teams. Through no fault of Hurts of course, we again have a weak schedule, with little chance to change minds against good competition. That said, this team has set expectations that winning this division is very real, and should be expected. Therefore, we will be in the playoffs again with a home game. Hurts has to show he can play on the big stage against playoff competition. Say what you will about his game these last two weeks, if we go one and done in the postseason, all this is for naught, and if you think his detractors were vocal before, you haven’t seen anything yet. 

I’m not the president of his fan club, but I’ve enjoyed these last two games, especially since I didn’t like either opponent. Props to how he’s played this far. Now keep it going. 

Just now, Diehardfan said:

Criticism is always fine, but the criticism towards Hurts during the offseason was overly harsh, and pretty ugly at times.  Again, the guy had really only played 1 whole season at the position professionally, and all I saw was how he can't do this, or that, and will never be able to do it.  When we said he needs time to develop, we were met with insults and examples of other players dominating right out of the gate.  

6 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

He never really played "like crap" in a general sense; he played like a young, inexperienced player in less-than-ideal conditions who needed the requisite amount of time and proper coaching to show us what he could really be.

Eh, that's not true either. He had more games under 60% than about 65%. Can't rewrite history. Man had a lot of games actually under 50%

The thing about the "hasn't played good teams" argument is that, while true, there don't appear to be many good teams in the NFC in general. My buddy who is not an Eagles fan thinks that Philly could pretty easily be among the best in the Conference. He said "I still think GB is gonna wind up there or close to there, especially if they can get their receivers squared away. Tampa will get better, too, when Godwin and Evans are back together. And the Rams are starting to look decent again. But outside of those guys and Philly, there doesn't appear to be much competition right now."

6 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

He never really played "like crap" in a general sense; he played like a young, inexperienced player in less-than-ideal conditions who needed the requisite amount of time and proper coaching to show us what he could really be. And the thing is, I didn't do anything special, but it's very sad how lacking in common sense people are around here. I merely did the very easy, logical thing and said "Well, I know he's struggled at times, but these could just be growing pains. You often don't really know what an NFL QBs potential is until about their 3rd or 4th year as a starter in the the league."

I'm glad you might be right. I don't like him but I'd rather be wrong and win. What I want is the real Hurts to show and quick. If he is the guy, great. If this fake then I want him exposed so they aren't in limbo. 

3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

ITherefore, we will be in the playoffs again with a home game. Hurts has to show he can play on the big stage against playoff competition. Say what you will about his game these last two weeks, if we go one and done in the postseason, all this is for naught, and if you think his detractors were vocal before, you haven’t seen anything yet. 

I’m not the president of his fan club, but I’ve enjoyed these last two games, especially since I didn’t like either opponent. Props to how he’s played this far. Now keep it going. 

I don't think a one and done is a total failure, but it would depend on how they lose tbh. Let's just hope they don't lose in the playoffs if they end up making it in.

7 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Lol it's ok to say he played like crap before. Your fandom isn't tarnished and no one is mistaking you for one of his "haters"

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’ll echo sentiments I made in the GDT yesterday. 

I obviously had no reason to criticize Hurts after the MNF game. I did however feel he had three boxes he needed to check off. 

First, don’t fall flat after a great game, against a division opponent with Wentz on the other side…check. 

Second, his first two outings against Dallas haven’t gone well. Both in Dallas. To many of us, they are still our most hated rival. Must play great against them in a few weeks at home…TBD. 

Finally, call it fair or not, Jalen’s success leading into this season hasn’t come against great opponents. Mostly, it has come against bad teams. Through no fault of Hurts of course, we again have a weak schedule, with little chance to change minds against good competition. That said, this team has set expectations that winning this division is very real, and should be expected. Therefore, we will be in the playoffs again with a home game. Hurts has to show he can play on the big stage against playoff competition. Say what you will about his game these last two weeks, if we go one and done in the postseason, all this is for naught, and if you think his detractors were vocal before, you haven’t seen anything yet. 

I agree that Hurts can't help but play against a weak schedule since that's just what was given

I also agree that a playoff exit wont sway people and they'll just bring up the weak schedule and finally playing a team of note and being another 1 and done (I admit I will likely be one of these lol)

It'll help if they at least were to win at least 1

But all of that is for naught as they need to get there first

7 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Eh, that's not true either. He had more games under 60% than about 65%. Can't rewrite history. Man had a lot of games actually under 50%

2020 was basically a throwaway year. I just glanced at his 2021 gamelogs, and his comp% was kind of all over the place, but he had plenty of games in the 65-70% range. The guy has shown steady improvement, week-to-week and season-to-season since he took over. He's managed to get consistently better. People around here just have zero patience or appreciation for the developmental arc that an NFL QB goes through. Hurts has always had the work ethic to overcome some physical limitations, and that's the biggest thing that people have dismissed all along. Work ethic matters.

4 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Criticism is always fine, but the criticism towards Hurts during the offseason was overly harsh, and pretty ugly at times.  Again, the guy had really only played 1 whole season at the position professionally, and all I saw was how he can't do this, or that, and will never be able to do it.  When we said he needs time to develop, we were met with insults and examples of other players dominating right out of the gate.  

At the end of the day this is a message board where overreaction happens as fans. We all want the same thing and will disagree strongly how to get there. 

9 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

2020 was basically a throwaway year. I just glanced at his 2021 gamelogs, and his comp% was kind of all over the place, but he had plenty of games in the 65-70% range. The guy has show steady improvement, week-to-week and season-to-season since he took over. He's managed to get consistently better. People around here just have zero patience or appreciation for the developmental arc that an NFL QB goes through.

Last year he was a player, but not really a QB. Very few games did he show ability as a thrower. This year (as I stated) he is showing top 10 QB ability. Bottom of the basement to top 10 is rare rare. Yesterday was the first game as a QB where I said "that's how you win for a decade." I won't pretend the previous starts didn't occur up to this point. I think what makes it difficult for some to accept his growth is the lack of understanding that comes from his fan base that you had blind faith up to this point. Glad it's paying off, but the attitudes around here about it makes people defensive and you are going to get fight back. Trust me, if I wanted to play devil's advocate, it really wouldn't be difficult. I'm choosing optimism at the moment. 

Also, 2020 is only a throw away because he was awful. If he played out of this world, you would count it 

7 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Last year he was a player, but not really a QB. Very few games did he show ability as a thrower. This year (as I stated) he is showing top 10 QB ability. Bottom of the basement to top 10 is rare rare. Yesterday was the first game as a QB where I said "that's how you win for a decade." I won't pretend the previous starts didn't occur up to this point. I think what makes it difficult for some to accept his growth is the lack of understanding that comes from his fan base that you had blind faith up to this point. Glad it's paying off, but the attitudes around here about it makes people defensive and you are going to get fight back. Trust me, if I wanted to play devil's advocate, it really wouldn't be difficult. I'm choosing optimism at the moment. 

Also, 2020 is only a throw away because he was awful. If he played out of this world, you would count it 

No, 2020 is a throwaway because of the conditions he was thrown into when he started all of 4 games late in the year: Wentz was the starter, and it was only after the team really had no choice that they went to Hurrts. Doug was also on the outs by that point it would seem. The whole team was in chaos. Hurts was always a project and in no way was he supposed to be thrust into the starting role, but he showed promise vs. the Saints in his debut, enough to keep us curious anyway.

Many people really jumped the gun and sold this guy down river wayyyyyy  too soon. Even if he turned out to be what people thought he was, they weren't giving the guy a reasonable amount of time to judge any QB prospect.

20 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

No, 2020 is a throwaway because of the conditions he was thrown into when he started all of 4 games late in the year: Wentz was the starter and it was only after the team really had no choice. Doug was also on the outs by that point it would seem. The whole team was in chaos. Hurts was always a project and in no way was he supposed to be thrust into the starting role, but he showed promise vs. the Saints in his debut, enough to keep us curious anyway.

Many people really jumped the gun and sold this guy down river wayyyyyy  too soon. Even if he turned out to be what people thought he was, they weren't giving the guy a reasonable amount of time to judge any QB prospect.

Prior to this year there had been two games where I could see the ability to potentially be a top 15 passer. That's 10% of his games. That's not selling anyone down the river too soon, that's calling it as it stood at that moment. The odds of him having this drastic of a change is so so low. Him continuing to play at this level is still way up in the air. It's odd that you are allowed to crown him after three games, but nobody was allowed to doubt after twenty 

41 minutes ago, MF POON said:

I don't think a one and done is a total failure, but it would depend on how they lose tbh. Let's just hope they don't lose in the playoffs if they end up making it in.

I should have clarified in my post. My bad. If we go one and done and Jalen doesn’t look good in the process, (Tampa last January), it’s going to get ugly. 

3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I should have clarified in my post. My bad. If we go one and done and Jalen doesn’t look good in the process, (Tampa last January), it’s going to get ugly. 

Not if the saints keep losing. Will be super easy to deal with. Howie has shown he gives no Fs about moving on 

10 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Prior to this year there had been two games where I could see the ability to potentially be a top 15 passer. That's 10% of his games. That's not selling anyone down the river too soon, that's calling it as it stood at that moment. The odds of him having this drastic of a change is so so low. Him continuing to play at this level is still way up in the air. It's odd that you are allowed to crown him after three games, but nobody was allowed to doubt after twenty 

Straw man: I'm not crowning anyone, merely pointing out that people judged him way too prematurely, as these games show. Could he fall back to Earth? Could he have a great season and then not look the same next year? Sure. I won't be totally sold until he strings together 2 or 3 good seasons, but the point is that I was willing to give him at least a modicum of time to merely show the possibility that he could be great.

12 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

Eagles fans: Wentz sucks

So the defense played well against him and you want to fap and talk crap. I'm excited they have played well, he deserves credit for the defensive game plan the last two weeks, but slow your roll before crowning him.

Also, I couldn't care less if I end up being wrong. It's a message board, which I've been on since the very first, but not something my life revolves around. I've been wrong many times and right many times. I can't remember ever getting excited to tell someone they had egg on their face, but maybe you don't have much going on in your life.

Whoah looks like your eggs got some extra salt on them! Vikings and Commanders offenses have all looked pretty good when they weren't playing the eagles.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts. They would be the three right now with Jackson probably in the lead. If Hurts keeps playing the way he has been and the Eagles are the 1 seed in the NFC he will be in serious contention for the award 

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

The thing about the "hasn't played good teams" argument is that, while true, there don't appear to be many good teams in the NFC in general. My buddy who is not an Eagles fan thinks that Philly could pretty easily be among the best in the Conference. He said "I still think GB is gonna wind up there or close to there, especially if they can get their receivers squared away. Tampa will get better, too, when Godwin and Evans are back together. And the Rams are starting to look decent again. But outside of those guys and Philly, there doesn't appear to be much competition right now."

I think that’s definitely true this year. The NFC just isn’t stacked. 

18 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Not if the saints keep losing. Will be super easy to deal with. Howie has shown he gives no Fs about moving on 

I’m talking more the vitriol towards Hurts.   

14 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Straw man: I'm not crowning anyone, merely pointing out that people judged him way too prematurely, as these games show. Could he fall back to Earth? Could he have a great season and then not look the same next year? Sure. I won't be totally sold until he strings together 2 or 3 good seasons, but the point is that I was willing to give him at least a modicum of time to merely show the possibility that he could be great.

But you've been quick to attack those with doubt which means you had a side... 2-3 seasons means he was paid. Do you believe we have 2-3 seasons to find out?  That's where a lot stand. It is almost time to pay or move on. Up to this season it looked easy to move on from. At the pace he is going, it would be ridiculous to move on from him. Just interesting stance you have. Wait and see, but f everyone who doubted him?

Archived