Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

4 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’m talking more the vitriol towards Hurts.   

Gotcha. If he continues the way he has been this season and takes an ugly L in the playoffs, somebody in the NFC is winning the Superbowl. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

But you've been quick to attack those with doubt which means you had a side... 2-3 seasons means he was paid. Do you believe we have 2-3 seasons to find out?  That's where a lot stand. It is almost time to pay or move on. Up to this season it looked easy to move on from. At the pace he is going, it would be ridiculous to move on from him. Just interesting stance you have. Wait and see, but f everyone who doubted him?

I don't like that all these guys need massive extensions after only three years, but the league is designed that way now. The smart thing to do would probably be to extend him sooner rather than later so the price doesn't keep going up, but I've always been wary of being so quick to lock these guys up with guaranteed money before you truly know what you have. Wentz should be a cautionary tale. I was against that extension at the time when everyone thought there should be no question about it. Personally, I would rather use the 5th-year options and have rookies play out their deals before extending them, but this can get tricky as it can squander good relationships and get you into bidding wars in free agency. .

Not "F everyone who doubted him," but definitely F the literal haters who just decided from the outset that they would never like the guy, came in here weekly to loudly and peremptorily proclaim that "Hurts sucks," downplayed all the good games, and told anyone who was hopeful that they were idiots for being so. They deserve to have it thrown right back in their faces, especially since many of these same posters made excuse after excuse for Wentz.

Dunning-Kruger football fans :lol:

Hurts is 5th in passer rating at 106.5. Only 7 are above 100.

He's 3rd in ANY/A at 8.81. Jackson is 1st at 8.99 and only 4 QBs are above 8.0 and 7 above 7.0

He's 3rd in yards passing per game at 305.3. Only 5 QBs are above 300 and 10 above 270.

He is 1st in yards per attempt at 9.3. Only 2 QBs are above 9 (Tua at 9.2) and 6 above 8.

He is 1st in yards per completion at 13.9. Only 3 are above 13 and 8 above 12.

He is 9th in completion %

He's 8th in interception %

He's 16th in TD% (because run TDs don't count) His 7 combined TDs is tied for 5th most.

He has 1083 combined yards (2nd).  Allen has 1117. Jackson has 992. Tua has 929. 

He is 2nd in QB PFF ratings at 79.4 (Jackson 81.5)

He's even 6th in QBR if you are into figure skating judging QB ratings.

He's tied at #1 in wins with 3.

The offense is 5th in points and 1st in yards.

He and they are doing all of this while also going into ultra passive mode in two 2nd halves and a 4th quarter in all 3 games.

FYI, most MVP level season QBs have some bad games but are great overall.

Look at McNabb 2004. Awesome for 3 then meh for 2 then awesome for 1 then meh for 2 then awesome for 4 then meh for 2

Foles 2013 had the Dallas game.  Wentz 2017 actually started off in the 90s and heated up. He was setting the tone with some Elway stuff more than stats early.

55 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Not if the saints keep losing. Will be super easy to deal with. Howie has shown he gives no Fs about moving on 

I can see a problem with the build up and the chemistry of Hurts and AJ Brown being besties... If they decide to move on from Hurts I can see Brown becoming a problem and maybe a few others. 

39 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I think that’s definitely true this year. The NFC just isn’t stacked. 

Neither is the AFC, despite all the preseason love for the Chiefs, Bills, Chargers and Bengals.  I can’t remember a recent season that appears to be so wide open early on. 

46 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Whoah looks like your eggs got some extra salt on them! Vikings and Commanders offenses have all looked pretty good when they weren't playing the eagles.

The same people saying posters should have been patient and waited to see what happened with his development are now ready to throw that out the window and crown him. Got it.

It's the start of the season. Many teams have been up and down, but at the end of the day do you honestly think the Vikings, Lions, or DC will make the playoffs? Maybe the Vikings slip in as a WC, but they aren't seriously contending. Nobody who likes the Eagles is sad they are 3-0 and look good. Let's see what happens.

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Neither is the AFC, despite all the preseason love for the Chiefs, Bills, Chargers and Bengals.  I can’t remember a recent season that appears to be so wide open early on. 

This.

The Dolphins barely beat the Bills at home in the September Miami heat and humidity where they bake the visitors bench while the Bills were missing their entire secondary.

They won because the Bills were 1 second too slow despite all of that.

The Dolphins offense scored 13 vs New England.

The AFC West was supposed to be a juggernaut (I bought the hype) They are 5-7 combined so far.

The Chargers were everyone's darlings. That coach is brain dead. He left his busted ribs QB in the game at the end of a 28 point loss. Herbert wanted to be with the guys?

I think the Chiefs are still really good. they just had a horrific special teams day (missed FG, XP,  a muffed punt, and a failed fake FG)

The Bills were the best team at the start but they have to get healthy.

17 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

The same people saying posters should have been patient and waited to see what happened with his development are now ready to throw that out the window and crown him. Got it.

It's the start of the season. Many teams have been up and down, but at the end of the day do you honestly think the Vikings, Lions, or DC will make the playoffs? Maybe the Vikings slip in as a WC, but they aren't seriously contending. Nobody who likes the Eagles is sad they are 3-0 and look good. Let's see what happens.

Vikings and Lions will both be in the hunt for the NFC North as well as wild card spots. 

The losers need to cry and cry about sample size like its a baseball season. What they never do is back up their crying. Here is the worst example of a QB who started out with 3 awesome games that I could find. Will they find examples to back up their pathetic argument that this talented QB can not develop with hard work and coaching?

Dak winning the week 3 SB in 2019.  9 TDs 2 picks 128 rating and 3-0 start.

He finsihed off 5-8 with 21 TDs 9 picks and a 94.4 rating in the last 13 games. (still very good NFL QB stats)

In that season Dallas faced a 1st place schedule and they started out vs 3 teams that finished a combined 12-36. This is not a comparable situation.

Huts has a strong arm. (not Josh Allen level but almost no one is Allen level)

Hurts is a beast as far as overall body strength.

He's a very good runner.

He is an A+ work ethic guy.

He is an A or A+ leadership guy.

The talent around him has gone from mediocre to outstanding.

What the hell is anyone's actual logical reason to doubt that he is getting better and is a legit NFL QB? (besides sad feelings and hate investment)

7 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The losers need to cry and cry about sample size like its a baseball season. What they never do is back up their crying. Here is the worst example of a QB who started out with 3 awesome games that I could find. Will they find examples to back up their pathetic argument that this talented QB can not develop with hard work and coaching?

Dak winning the week 3 SB in 2019.  9 TDs 2 picks 128 rating and 3-0 start.

He finsihed off 5-8 with 21 TDs 9 picks and a 94.4 rating in the last 13 games. (still very good NFL QB stats)

In that season Dallas faced a 1st place schedule and they started out vs 3 teams that finished a combined 12-36. This is not a comparable situation.

Huts has a strong arm.

Hurts is a beast as far as overall body strength.

He's a very good runner.

He is an A+ work ethic guy.

He is an A or A+ leadership guy.

The talent around him has gone from mediocre to outstanding.

What the hell is anyone's actual logical reason to doubt that he is getting better and is a legit NFL QB? (besides sad feelings and hate investment)

You must have missed the Tampa game last year. Also, the Lions, Vikings, and DC don't have defenses that rank in the top 20 this year (Vikings are the closest in the 21-23 range). He has played well for first half of games but then has been blanked. Nice to see the first half and concerning the second. We will see.

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

The thing about the "hasn't played good teams" argument is that, while true, there don't appear to be many good teams in the NFC in general. My buddy who is not an Eagles fan thinks that Philly could pretty easily be among the best in the Conference. He said "I still think GB is gonna wind up there or close to there, especially if they can get their receivers squared away. Tampa will get better, too, when Godwin and Evans are back together. And the Rams are starting to look decent again. But outside of those guys and Philly, there doesn't appear to be much competition right now."

I am happily impressed with what Hurts is showing thus far.  Brown has been a huge impact add for the entire offense.  

I am also happily impressed with what the defense is showing in the last two games.  

They have been very careful with the football so far, and that's going to go a long way to having success.

That said... I had the Eagles as the 2nd best team in the division going into the year.  Dak's injury changes that.  Eagles should win the NFC East given that I don't expect Rush to continue to play like he did last week (his first half was actually very good last week).  So, that puts them as a top 4 team in the conference.  Bucs injuries knock them down, but they have a relatively weak division as well and could run the table there... potentially giving them a leg up on the Eagles there, but they have a harder overall schedule - advantage Eagles.  Packers already dropped one to the Vikings, but I think they are working through the kinks with the new receiving corps.  They are the class of the NFC right now.  And the Rams might be on the downside.  I don't see them being what they were last year coming off the Super Bowl victory.  And none of the other West teams are scary.    That puts the Eagles right there in the mix for a 2 seed, imo.... if Hurts maintains his current level of play AND the defense does as well.

Hurts has a 100+ rating in 6 of his last 10 games. He had 3 in his first 12.

He is 8-1 in his last 9 after starting 4-9 in his first 13. BTW, in that 1 loss he hit Reagor for a pair of possible game winning TD drops (even though he had a bad game overall)

Its called development. The QB gets coached. He gets experience. He works hard at his craft. The GM builds the team around him.

Your individual sad feelings do not negate this progression.

None of us think he is a HoF QB or even a regular pro bowl QB yet. He is clearly a good to very good NFL QB at this point and he's playing like an MVP so far.

He is ahead of schedule. I was hoping for something like Kyler Murray 2020 as a baseline for improvement.

At any given moment there are only about 14-20 humans aged 22-40 who can really play NFL QB at a high level. Hurts is looking like one of them now.

Howie got him at 53rd overall.

21 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

You must have missed the Tampa game last year. Also, the Lions, Vikings, and DC don't have defenses that rank in the top 20 this year (Vikings are the closest in the 21-23 range). He has played well for first half of games but then has been blanked. Nice to see the first half and concerning the second. We will see.

The Lions Viking and DC have 33% of their stats from Hurts stomping a mudhole in them.

DC beat the 2-1 Jags and Minny beat the 2-1 Packers. The Lions and Vikings played each other and 

Run the numbers again without the Eagles games.

The Jags are 8th in defense so far. DC put up 390 and 28 on them. Are they the real test now?

Also,

DC has faced the 1st, 3rd, and 6th offense. How bad are they?

The Vikings have faced the 1st, 3rd, and 12th offense. How bad are they?

The Lions faced the 1st, 18th, and 19th offenses (they are only that low because Philly murdered them both)

The evidence does not support your claims.

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I am happily impressed with what Hurts is showing thus far.  Brown has been a huge impact add for the entire offense.  

I am also happily impressed with what the defense is showing in the last two games.  

They have been very careful with the football so far, and that's going to go a long way to having success.

That said... I had the Eagles as the 2nd best team in the division going into the year.  Dak's injury changes that.  Eagles should win the NFC East given that I don't expect Rush to continue to play like he did last week (his first half was actually very good last week).  So, that puts them as a top 4 team in the conference.  Bucs injuries knock them down, but they have a relatively weak division as well and could run the table there... potentially giving them a leg up on the Eagles there, but they have a harder overall schedule - advantage Eagles.  Packers already dropped one to the Vikings, but I think they are working through the kinks with the new receiving corps.  They are the class of the NFC right now.  And the Rams might be on the downside.  I don't see them being what they were last year coming off the Super Bowl victory.  And none of the other West teams are scary.    That puts the Eagles right there in the mix for a 2 seed, imo.... if Hurts maintains his current level of play AND the defense does as well.

If this is about the Packers I am not so sure. I think their receivers will be their downfall and it is due to a severe lack of investment at the position in recent years. 

The Bucs feel like the only team in the NFC that might be good. Their WR's are the walking wounded right now that they're desperate enough to sign Cole Beasley off the street and Brady may have finally lost a step (although it could also be rust from not turning up for pre-season). The rest of the NFC South is trash. The Lions could be the best team in the NFC North come the end of the season, the NFC West is mediocre and the NFC East is also pretty bad. It is looking like an extremely weak conference this season which only helps the Eagles. 

Just now, Mat said:

The Bucs feel like the only team in the NFC that might be good.

I wouldn't discount the Rams either. I know they aren't off to a great start but they have talent.

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

Also,

DC has faced the 1st, 3rd, and 6th offense. How bad are they?

The Vikings have faced the 1st, 3rd, and 12th offense. How bad are they?

The Lions faced the 1st, 18th, and 19th offenses (they are only that low because Philly murdered them both)

The evidence does not support your claims.

This argument works both ways, those offenses could be ranked 3rd and 12th because they faced the Vikings or 3rd and 6th because they faced DC. I understand the point you're trying to make, but you can't judge a team off 3 games. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I wouldn't discount the Rams either. I know they aren't off to a great start but they have talent.

That line is not going to keep Stafford upright and I don't trust their run game to be consistent and bail them out. The Cards could look better when Hopkins comes back from his suspension but none of those teams wow me. I also don't think the Rams have the draft capital to do what they did last year and buy pieces to try and contend at the trade deadline 

Just now, Mat said:

That line is not going to keep Stafford upright and I don't trust their run game to be consistent and bail them out. The Cards could look better when Hopkins comes back from his suspension but none of those teams wow me. I also don't think the Rams have the draft capital to do what they did last year and buy pieces to try and contend at the trade deadline 

The counter to Arizona is that they have tended to fade... So yes getting Hopkins back will be huge but that could coincide with a slip. They've also not really wowed at this point as impressive as their come back was. 

30 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The Lions Viking and DC have 33% of their stats from Hurts stomping a mudhole in them.

DC beat the 2-1 Jags and Minny beat the 2-1 Packers. The Lions and Vikings played each other and 

Run the numbers again without the Eagles games.

The Jags are 8th in defense so far. DC put up 390 and 28 on them. Are they the real test now?

Don't even start that "real test" BS. He was shut down the entire second half of the last two weeks. That's good for the first part of the game and concerning the second. Again, you and the rest of the "people should have waited to see" should listen to your advice instead of being hypocritical when it suits you and wait and see before crowning him.

21 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yes, and it's veteran talent. The same with Tampa. When the money is on the line I wouldn't count them out.

2 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Yes, and it's veteran talent. The same with Tampa. When the money is on the line I wouldn't count them out.

Agreed but Stafford hasn't been the same this year.  His elbow might be an issue for the rest of the season. That changes everything for them.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

Agreed but Stafford hasn't been the same this year.  His elbow might be an issue for the rest of the season. That changes everything for them.

Good point. We will see.

Lol, this is sp predictable. No one crowned Hurts anything. They told you that you made up your mind way too quickly and that you should wait to see what he can do in the next couple seasons. Going all "See! You're crowning him! Take your own advice and be patient!" is just another piss-poor attempt at deflection by people who can never just take the L.

Archived