2 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

This is sad and pathetic.

How? This must be your own means of social media lol

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Yup, sad and pathetic.

Lol that's cute. This is the only place for you. Ok.

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I have. I've seen worst towards people who criticized Hurts on facebook and twitter

31 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Search function is your friend. Look up some Godfather or Diehard posts with a Hurts keyword.

Yep, I don't like him on a personal level. Also said I'd be happy to be wrong about his play on the field. Not rooting against the team because I don't like someone the same way many didn't like Simmons but hoped they won in the playoffs. Don't care who has a problem with that.

Just now, Diehardfan said:

Yep, I don't like him on a personal level. Also said I'd be happy to be wrong about his play on the field. Not rooting against the team because I don't like someone the same way many didn't like Simmons but hoped they eon in the playoffs. 

I have seen you slowly coming around, so that's at least encouraging. But Mike over here acting like the guy has not had a cadre of haters flocking around here is just...weird.

37 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Can you two give examples of this hate you're referring to?

1. You have seen it.

2. You have seen it

There you go. You're welcome.

4 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Lol that's cute. This is the only place for you. Ok.

Elf.gif.6e0615655e61a67a88eb01ec5381e689.gif

3 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I have seen you slowly coming around, so that's at least encouraging. But Mike over here acting like the guy has not had a cadre of haters flocking around here is just...weird.

I'm not going to be prideful and ignore things or get pissed if he becomes good. He just rubs me the wrong way. 

Comparing Hurts to Simmons is really off-base, though. There were a plethora of reasons to not like Simmons, basketball-related and otherwise. Simmons is a deeply flawed character and bad teammate.

42 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Can you two give examples of this hate you're referring to?

Just go to the gameday thread. You had clowns in there wanting Minshew to play and saying Hurts "had turned back into a pumpkin" after the first two series of the game.

Clearly there is a large number of people on this message board who actively want Jalen Hurts to fail, so much so that they literally complain about every incompletion.

Which is fine. People are entitled to their own opinions. But let's not act like everyone on this message board is thrilled with Hurts playing well. Because the second he has a bad game, they will come out of the woodwork to celebrate it.

13 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Yep, I don't like him on a personal level. Also said I'd be happy to be wrong about his play on the field. Not rooting against the team because I don't like someone the same way many didn't like Simmons but hoped they won in the playoffs. Don't care who has a problem with that.

This is just confusing to me. Plenty have questioned whether he’s good enough as a QB (myself included) but you might literally be the only person I’ve ever seen who say they don’t like Hurts as a person.

I have to hear why exactly it is that you don’t like him "on a personal level”… I can’t think of a single reason anyone could have to dislike him. 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's not true.  The plan was eventually to flip Hurts for more picks.  Wentz was the guy.  They gave him the contract, he had the MVP level season.  Hurts was brought in as a gadget player (Taysom Hill was their comp) and a backup QB/insurance policy.  All things going to plan, he wouldn't have had sufficient tape to justify moving on with him if Wentz continued to play at the level that caused him to give him the deal they did and he remained healthy, before Hurts' rookie deal would have expired.  

But, things change in the NFL, and Wentz couldn't handle the mental side of what he had to deal with.  (And frankly, no other QB has ever been put in that situation.  2nd year, MVP level play... gets hurt.  Backup plays poorly at first, then hits a magical stretch for 2.5 games, maybe only 2 games, because the Eagles were fairly fortunate to even get past the Falcons... then the magic of the NFC CG and Super Bowl.   A statue is erected of Foles.  Foles is kept around looking over Wentz' shoulder  - Foles was pretty bad early that year, and wasn't much better late either.   Then Wentz plays with grocery store clerks as his primary weapons on the outside in 2019, gets concussed in the playoffs on a cheap shot... and then his team drafts a QB in Round 2, after drafting a DUD in Round 1, missing on the obvious choice in Jefferson.)  

But, I don't think that there's any case to be made that plan A was to move on from Wentz and go to Hurts at the moment he was selected.  The circumstances changed and Wentz wanted out.   NFL means Not For Long.

The plan was NEVER to flip Hurts for picks. That's a laughable argument. No one takes a quarterback in the second round to flip for picks. Howie Roseman clearly stated after the 2019 season that he looked at the end of the season to asses who was there and addressed the situation accordingly. Who wasn't there? The quarterback, and the wide receivers. What did Howie do? Draft a quarterback and three wide receivers. Howie also said that Wentz's lack of availability contributed to the drafting of Hurts. His parting shot to Wentz on the radio. The bottom line is they needed a quarterback they could afford and control, because Carson was unreliable due to his injury history. How do you "flip a guy for picks" if he doesn't play football? Don't be confused here. I never wrote the plan was to immediately move on from Wentz once they drafted Hurts, but Hurts was the eventual replacement to Wentz. Wentz just signed a 4 year deal, which the Eagles basically had an out in two years. Wentz and all of his injuries (to include a back injury) was really on the hook for two years. After that the Eagles could move him without much penalty. Who's getting you more? The nearly 30 year old established guy who was at one time a possible MVP candidate or a young guy who never plays? The "quarterback factory" is about churning out the next guy and not about keeping old guys around. On top of this the Eagles already knew about the internal struggles Wentz had with teammates and the coaching staff so many of his fans scoffed at and chose to ignore. The Eagles were going to absolutely move on from Wentz once they felt they groomed Hurts. The only way that changes is if Carson goes out there and does an Aaron Rodgers meaning he plays at an MVP level for the next few years forcing them to extend him. Instead Carson flaked, turned to crap, and cried his way out of town. He accelerated the process, but his time in Philly was already counting down once the Eagles selected Hurts. The Eagles knew it and he knew it, but the only people who were clueless about it were the fans who still saw only 2017 Carson and blames everyone but him for the aftermath. Doug Pederson didn't jump for joy when they selected Jalen Hurts to "flip him." :roll:

23 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Comparing Hurts to Simmons is really off-base, though. There were a plethora of reasons to not like Simmons, basketball-related and otherwise. Simmons is a deeply flawed character and bad teammate.

Comparing Wentz to Simmons is a far closer comparison than Hurts to Simmons. Heck even some on the field stuff is the same. Simmons refuses to shoot while Wentz refuses to stop playing the style of football that gets him sacked, fumbling, and getting injured. Both wanted out and refused to play again for their teams.

19 minutes ago, nipples said:

This is just confusing to me. Plenty have questioned whether he’s good enough as a QB (myself included) but you might literally be the only person I’ve ever seen who say they don’t like Hurts as a person.

I have to hear why exactly it is that you don’t like him "on a personal level”… I can’t think of a single reason anyone could have to dislike him. 

It's been discussed. He just rubs me wrong at times.

2 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

It's been discussed. He just rubs me wrong at times.

So the translation here is that you just decided that you don’t like him (current or former Wentz fanboy?) and are just sticking with the opinion for no reason?

27 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Both play well and look good against easy competition but not when it counts. In Hurts case against good teams he has struggled and against Tampa. We will see if that changes when he plays good teams this year. The problem is their schedule looks pretty soft now. We will see, but that is the comparison not the working on stuff aspect. 

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The plan was NEVER to flip Hurts for picks. That's a laughable argument. No one takes a quarterback in the second round to flip for picks. Howie Roseman clearly stated after the 2019 season that he looked at the end of the season to asses who was there and addressed the situation accordingly. Who wasn't there? The quarterback, and the wide receivers. What did Howie do? Draft a quarterback and three wide receivers. Howie also said that Wentz's lack of availability contributed to the drafting of Hurts. His parting shot to Wentz on the radio. The bottom line is they needed a quarterback they could afford and control, because Carson was unreliable due to his injury history. How do you "flip a guy for picks" if he doesn't play football? Don't be confused here. I never wrote the plan was to immediately move on from Wentz once they drafted Hurts, but Hurts was the eventual replacement to Wentz. Wentz just signed a 4 year deal, which the Eagles basically had an out in two years. Wentz and all of his injuries (to include a back injury) was really on the hook for two years.

TDIL you can't quote posts from locked threads:

1810482845_ScreenShot2022-09-27at11_25_33AM.thumb.png.e6ff8b1741b671c5f1c5b21c33594436.png

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

So the translation here is that you just decided that you don’t like him (current or former Wentz fanboy?) and are just sticking with the opinion for no reason?

First,  who cares if I don't like him

Second, screw Wentz I'm glad he is gone and I'd take Hurts over him

15 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

TDIL you can't quote posts from locked threads:

1810482845_ScreenShot2022-09-27at11_25_33AM.thumb.png.e6ff8b1741b671c5f1c5b21c33594436.png

Yeah the other reasons why people thought they took Hurts made no sense. In the end there were several people around here who trashed the organization over Carson though even if they can’t remember it.  :roll:8FF49F2B-61CA-4FD7-9EE1-ADCA80C65DD1.thumb.jpeg.6c0df9d390ce4d4fdfe4d2db62bc7df5.jpeg

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Hurts DOES THE work to become a better player and person. That's why he gained my respect.  Simmons? Total opposite. Simmons is a liar and a cheat and the biggest wimp the NBA has ever seen.

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Correct

Well, it wasn't debated, because the detractors had no interest in qualifying that position. They just laughed, said Hurts sucks, and called you a "hugger." Suffice it to say, there were plenty of people who did not accept the logic of giving a developmental QB several seasons to prove himself.

That's a weird argument, because the talent and athleticism was always there to enough of a degree to let Hurts play it out, and I don't think it's as unusual as you think. Lamar Jackson comes to mind here, a second-round pick who still had major questions as a passer heading into his second full year as a starter.

Jackson was technically a first round pick and entered year 2 needing to prove himself with more objective arm talent.  Hurts was a 2nd entering year 3 needing to prove himself with less arm talent.  That's a difference.  

Look, I'm thrilled to be wrong about Hurts and obviously many saw something I didn't (all assuming this continues to play out the way it has for 2 weeks, which is a massive assumption).  But Hurts was absolutely on the low end of objective talent and objective investment to get that kind of patience and runway.  But if this continues, everyone who helped pave that runway looks like a genius.

15 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Jackson was technically a first round pick and entered year 2 needing to prove himself with more objective arm talent.  Hurts was a 2nd entering year 3 needing to prove himself with less arm talent.  That's a difference. 

Yeah, you're right, I had it flipped. He went as the last pick in the first round, but I was thinking first pick of the second round. A lot thought he should've been picked in the second at the time. I'm not sure that he had less arm talent, though. Maybe a stronger arm, but his accuracy was a huge question mark. They are relatively similar comps. What Hurts might lack in arm strength (looked pretty damn strong this past weekend, though) I would say he more than makes up for in what he has between the ears. He definitely seems like a guy who can be coached up to his potential.

Just now, EaglesRocker97 said:

Yeah, you're right, I had it flipped. He went as the last pick in the first round, but I was thinking first pick of the second round. A lot thought he should've been picked in the second at the time.

Still for a quarterback to be in the back end of the first round he's basically considered a project level player. Jackson got drafted in the Brady Quinn levels. With that being the case sometimes people get it wrong and sometimes players take longer to develop. Case in point Aaron Rodgers who was also a back end drafted quarterback. Yeah he's considered one of the best now, but everyone forgets he basically sat on the bench for three years developing first. Does Aaron Rodgers become that same guy if he's thrust into the fire too early or does he just become Tim Couch? 

Archived