Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 hour ago, nipples said:

So the translation here is that you just decided that you don’t like him (current or former Wentz fanboy?) and are just sticking with the opinion for no reason?

Truth is I think this team has a real chance to win the Super Bowl and said before the season started Hurts is the one thing that will keep that from winning it all. My dad had plans to fly out for the last Super Bowl, but couldn't travel last minute. More than money or anything else in the world being able to sit next to him and watch them win another is the one thing I want. I'm not sure he'll live another year or two, so in my mind I see Hurts as the thing keeping that from happening because I think this team is good enough. I don't see Hurts as having the talent to do so, but when people say I'd be mad if he won it all they couldn't be more wrong. So I'm probably a bit unfair to him at times for celebrations and other things because of that.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get wanting guys to be humble and "act like they've been there before." I'm old-school at heart, but to an extent, I just realize the culture is different these days. Sometimes the celebrations can get excessive, but Hurts seems to keep it pretty simple when he's on the field. You see the emotion in his face, but that's fine. It's an emotional game, and who could blame the guy for feeling himself a little bit after all the shade that's been thrown his way over the years? I still think the guy's humble; humility doesn't only come out through silence. Wentz was always the quiet leader type and wasn't the most demonstrative on the field, but in a way, it smacked of complacency, and with the constant deflections he always gave to questions about his play, the smiling while they were losing and the seeming disinterest or inability to engage and rally his guys on the field, I mean, Wentz came across as one of the most arrogant, self-righteous QBs I've ever seen, even though he had a quiet, nice-guy demeanor in the limelight. A QB needs to have some dog in them, and that's what I see with Hurts in those moments: He's got a lot of fight in him and a bit of nasty in him. I hardly ever see Hurts smile during a game or in a PC, because he's never satisfied, he's the exact opposite of complacent. That kind of guy can take you places, because they never give up on being the best they can truly be.

So, maybe Hurts isn't the most talented, but the intangibles are there in spades, enough to make up for some physical limitations.

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

"Like OMGz, nobody hates Hurts, what are you even talking about???"

:wacko:

45 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I get wanting guys to be humble and "act like they've been there before." I'm old-school at heart, but to an extent, I just realize the culture is different these days. Sometimes the celebrations can get excessive, but Hurts seems to keep it pretty simple when he's on the field. You see the emotion in his face, but that's fine. It's an emotional game, and who could blame the guy for feeling himself a little bit after all the shade that's been thrown his way over the years? I still think the guy's humble; humility doesn't only come out through silence. Wentz was always the quiet leader type and wasn't the most demonstrative on the field, but in a way, it smacked of complacency, and with the constant deflections he always gave to questions about his play, the smiling while they were losing and the seeming disinterest or inability to engage and rally his guys on the field, I mean, Wentz came across as one of the most arrogant, self-righteous QBs I've ever seen, even though he had a quiet, nice-guy demeanor in the limelight. A QB needs to have some dog in them, and that's what I see with Hurts in those moments: He's got a lot of fight in him and a bit of nasty in him. I hardly ever see Hurts smile during a game or in a PC, because he's never satisfied, he's the exact opposite of complacent. That kind of guy can take you places, because they never give up on being the best they can truly be.

So, maybe Hurts isn't the most talented, but the intangibles are there in spades, enough to make up for some physical limitations.

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

Dude literally shows very little emotion on the field at all. He doesn't smile, laugh, or show anger.   That could have always been his demeanor, or he has learned by watching other high-profile athletes that showing too much, giving too much of yourself can be used against you (Embiid crying).

14 minutes ago, EagleRob said:

Dude literally shows very little emotion on the field at all. He doesn't smile, laugh, or show anger.   That could have always been his demeanor, or he has learned by watching other high-profile athletes that showing too much, giving too much of yourself can be used against you (Embiid crying).

He does that yell or whatever after scoring a TD sometimes. Whatever, I don't really care. He does show emotion at times, but he channels it the right way.

27 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

He does that yell or whatever after scoring a TD sometimes. Whatever, I don't really care. He does show emotion at times, but he channels it the right way.

Considering he's carried five Vikings into the end zone or he's just thrown a td with no time on the clock on a play he called on his own against the Commanders, I expect him to have some fire in his celebration at that point. I like that more than when players celebrate first downs when their team is down by 20.

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The plan was NEVER to flip Hurts for picks. That's a laughable argument. No one takes a quarterback in the second round to flip for picks. Howie Roseman clearly stated after the 2019 season that he looked at the end of the season to asses who was there and addressed the situation accordingly. Who wasn't there? The quarterback, and the wide receivers. What did Howie do? Draft a quarterback and three wide receivers. Howie also said that Wentz's lack of availability contributed to the drafting of Hurts. His parting shot to Wentz on the radio. The bottom line is they needed a quarterback they could afford and control, because Carson was unreliable due to his injury history. How do you "flip a guy for picks" if he doesn't play football? Don't be confused here. I never wrote the plan was to immediately move on from Wentz once they drafted Hurts, but Hurts was the eventual replacement to Wentz. Wentz just signed a 4 year deal, which the Eagles basically had an out in two years. Wentz and all of his injuries (to include a back injury) was really on the hook for two years. After that the Eagles could move him without much penalty. Who's getting you more? The nearly 30 year old established guy who was at one time a possible MVP candidate or a young guy who never plays? The "quarterback factory" is about churning out the next guy and not about keeping old guys around. On top of this the Eagles already knew about the internal struggles Wentz had with teammates and the coaching staff so many of his fans scoffed at and chose to ignore. The Eagles were going to absolutely move on from Wentz once they felt they groomed Hurts. The only way that changes is if Carson goes out there and does an Aaron Rodgers meaning he plays at an MVP level for the next few years forcing them to extend him. Instead Carson flaked, turned to crap, and cried his way out of town. He accelerated the process, but his time in Philly was already counting down once the Eagles selected Hurts. The Eagles knew it and he knew it, but the only people who were clueless about it were the fans who still saw only 2017 Carson and blames everyone but him for the aftermath. Doug Pederson didn't jump for joy when they selected Jalen Hurts to "flip him." :roll:

The QB factory does.

Check the history of the league... Brett Favre, Mark Brunell, Jimmy Garrapolo, Kevin Kolb, AJ Feeley... 

Doug flipped for joy because he had a Taysom Hill clone...  but, remember these are the same talent evaluators that wanted Reagor over Jefferson.   Their 'expertise' can be called into question.

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

"Like OMGz, nobody hates Hurts, what are you even talking about???"

:wacko:

Well apparently 1 person hates Hurts, he admitted it in this thread.  Up until now, I just did not think he was good at doing QB things.

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

So wait.  He’s trying to argue that Doug had a say in who they were going to draft and he was happy because they drafted him?  We’re still talking about a guy the FO didn’t trust to pick his own coaches, right?   

But, got the benefit of the doubt and was the reason they picked Reagor over Jefferson.  

25 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You think that was serious?  🤣  I have another thread that can’t be stopped.  You should check in there.  

@downundermike

@Swoop

@TorontoEagle

😂🤣

Lol, I actually wasn't totally sure about your OP as it seemed sarcastic,  but the thread served my purposes anyway since you roped in all the haters.

:fishing:

"Jalen Hurts to this point has several red flags and hasn't played well. I hope he proves me wrong and becomes the best QB in franchise history"

"Hater! Racist! You want him to fail!!!!!"

That about sums it up.

43 minutes ago, Swoop said:

That about sums it up.

No, no it really doesn't. There's a long paper trail of unreasonable vitriol along the lines of "Hurrr durrr, this guys SUCKS. He can't play QB. He's a joke!"

Nice job trying to downplay it, though!

52 minutes ago, Swoop said:

"Jalen Hurts to this point has several red flags and hasn't played well. I hope he proves me wrong and becomes the best QB in franchise history"

"Hater! Racist! You want him to fail!!!!!"

That about sums it up.

Hmm, weren't you the "where are all the Hurts Huggers now" guy in the gameday thread after he threw a few incompletions? 

I mean, for a guy claiming you don't want Hurts to fail, you really seem to get a major hard on the second he struggles in the slightest.

11 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Hmm, weren't you the "where are all the Hurts Huggers now" guy in the gameday thread after he threw a few incompletions? 

I mean, for a guy claiming you don't want Hurts to fail, you really seem to get a major hard on the second he struggles in the slightest.

No, I just think it's funny you all scatter like cockroaches unless it's to puff your chest out.

26 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

No, no it really doesn't. There's a long paper trail of unreasonable vitriol along the lines of "Hurrr durrr, this guys SUCKS. He can't play QB. He's a joke!"

Nice job trying to downplay it, though!

"Unreasonable vitriol"

Like saying he wasn't reading the field? He wasn't. Like saying he wasn't accurate? He wasn't. 

If he isn't playing good, he isn't playing good.

He is now, so we've given him credit.

You guys are so sensitive 😂

5 minutes ago, Swoop said:

"Unreasonable vitriol"

Like saying he wasn't reading the field? He wasn't. Like saying he wasn't accurate? He wasn't. 

If he isn't playing good, he isn't playing good.

He is now, so we've given him credit.

You guys are so sensitive 😂

No one is buying the crap you are trying to sell. Anyone who spent any time in this thread knows what was said and who said it. 

3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

No one is buying the crap you are trying to sell. Anyone who spent any time in this thread knows what was said and who said it. 

Feel free to ask @ManchesterEagle if I'm a racist hater who wants him to fail. He and I have had multiple conversations about Hurts (several in this thread). He's on the Hurts support from day 1 side.

Sorry you're so upset 😂

8 minutes ago, Swoop said:

"Unreasonable vitriol"

Yeah, there's some juicy bulletin board material out there. I'll dig it up in due time.

9 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Not exactly, although while those statements may have been true for particular plays or stretches of games, they were generally of the hyperbolic, "sky is falling variety." If the detractors weren't haters, they were a bunch of overreacting drama queens.

4 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Feel free to ask @ManchesterEagle if I'm a racist hater who wants him to fail. He and I have had multiple conversations about Hurts (several in this thread). He's on the Hurts support from day 1 side.

Sorry you're so upset 😂

I can back you up too, you have been pretty reasonable 

1 minute ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Yeah, there's some juicy bulletin board material out there. I'll dig it up in due time.

Not exactly, although while those statements may have been true for particular plays or stretches of games, they were generally of the hyperbolic, "sky is falling variety." If the detractors weren't haters, they were a bunch of overreacting drama queens.

Again, if a player plays bad, he plays bad. If a player makes a stupid play, it's a stupid play. It's not really complicated.

Russell Wilson throwing a pick to lose the Super Bowl was a bad play. That's not exactly an overreaction or "sky is falling' statement.

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I can back you up too, you have been pretty reasonable 

Unless i missed something, his post wasn't defending himself, it was defending all the anti hurts posters and claiming they were offering rational arguments the whole time and the hurts defenders were the unhinged ones constantly screaming racist at them. Which is clearly pretty detached from reality. 

5 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Unless i missed something, his post wasn't defending himself, it was defending all the anti hurts posters and claiming they were offering rational arguments the whole time and the hurts defenders were the unhinged ones constantly screaming racist at them. Which is clearly pretty detached from reality. 

I was referring to myself. I don't speak for others. 

If they ask me to, sure.

2 minutes ago, Swoop said:

I was referring to myself. I don't speak for others. 

If they ask me to, sure.

Speak for me... let's see how well it goes.   Why not give it a try for a while?

Archived