Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

So...Howie finally drafts for BPA and building the future...a year after making the playoffs. He's still learning how to draft and doing what he should've done years ago.

But, if this version of Howie is going to stick to the board and draft talent over immediate need that is an improvement. 

Young O line & skill players...whether Hurts or a 2023 rookie they will be surrounded with support. 

But we've been waiting 20 years to draft difference makers in the back 7. Maybe someday...

4 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I think they'll still find guys to help on defense in this draft. I don't think the cupboard is bare quite yet.

Yep. Hopefully, they address the secondary at some point. 

• Like 1

2 great prospects from the Georgia championship team, Kelce's replacement and an actual solid WR traded for.

No CB, S or DE, but for now good job Howie. @Procus 

• Like 2

I give Howie props for the players selected, sticking to talent instead of reaching, selecting from championship teams 2 years in a row and a good trade for Brown. 

My issue is not finding a way into late 1st to take a CB or S. But sign Mathieu at least to help for now. @Procus 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

I give Howie props for the players selected, sticking to talent instead of reaching, selecting from championship teams 2 years in a row and a good trade for Brown. 

My issue is not finding a way into late 1st to take a CB or S. But sign Mathieu at least to help for now. @Procus 

I really have been wanting a CB the last 2 drafts. I suppose it's possible that at least 1 of last year's 4 rookie CBs will take a big step this year. It happened last year at WR with Watkins. We'll probably end up signing another vet stop-gap player for 1 year before the season starts to start opposite Slay. 

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Barnett impacted the passer better than a hall of famer.... How did that turn out? 

Yeah absolutely you are right bud. And I'm not saying Davis is going to be a bad player at all. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah absolutely you are right bud. And I'm not saying Davis is going to be a bad player at all. 

I know but, you have to take a chance on potential once in awhile. Dude is a massive freak, let's see if we can harness that.... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I know but, you have to take a chance on potential once in awhile. Dude is a massive freak, let's see if we can harness that.... 

Oh I agree. I think his floor is being a good run stopper. His ceiling is just being a destructive force in both the run and pass game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Just wondering where all the Howie hate went?

Honeymoon period right now.

Good thing he went mega on the UDFA or their would've been crying about lack of picks on day 3.

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Returns every year, same as the salary cap concerns. Or ebb and flow.

2 hours ago, Procus said:

He had a good draft, that's where it went.  You see, when someone performs poorly, they get criticized (what you call "hate").  When someone performs well, they don't get "hate."  

I don't know what happened over at Novacare but these last 2 drafts in a row aren't how he used to draft.  His bad drafting became a national punchline in media and even the announcers during games.  He and Lurie are well aware; the reporters would harp on it in press conferences.  It appears Howie is sticking to the board more and not reaching which is good.  He knows he can't draft WRs he even practically admitted that so he traded for one.  He stuck to drafting linemen high.  The last 2 years 3/4 of the picks on the first 2 days were linemen, last year a top 10 pick took a consensus top WR pick.  Playing it safer.  

They have holes at corner and safety yet stuck to the board and didn't try to reach for those positions, I was actually glad to see that.  Build the roster with the best talent, don't reach.  I still think they could have kept #19 until draft day and then traded back to the late 1st to get Jermaine Johnson, George Karlaftis or Daxton Hill who would have taken care of a gaping hole at safety.  I know he wants the future picks, but would've been nice to add another defensive talent in this draft.

They do say to wait to truly judge a draft for 3 years, but the guys they selected seem mostly like solid selections.  Jordan Davis hopefully is a beast for years to come.  

I've been very anti Howie over the last few years. I've discredited him whenever I've had the chance, I've questioned every move he makes. And a lot of that has been valid. He's made bad moves and as GM ultimately he's responsible for what has been an average at best roster.

But I can't then continue to hammer him when he makes what I think are good moves. Time will tell if these moves work out but I like the process. They seemed to stick to their board and they didn't reach for need. They seemed to have Jurgens as BPA and so they took him.

The test now will be the evaluation of these players. If they've got it right then they've added some real talent to this roster. But there's no doubt I like the process and I like what they've done. Credit to Howie for that. 

• Like 2

This was maybe the best use of draft picks I have ever seen from the Eagles since the early Buddy Ryan days.  Maybe the first couple drafts with AR.  As for the safety spot, Chuck Clark of the Ravens is available

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NOTW said:

He had a good draft, that's where it went.  You see, when someone performs poorly, they get criticized (what you call "hate").  When someone performs well, they don't get "hate."  

I don't know what happened over at Novacare but these last 2 drafts in a row aren't how he used to draft.  His bad drafting became a national punchline in media and even the announcers during games.  He and Lurie are well aware; the reporters would harp on it in press conferences.  It appears Howie is sticking to the board more and not reaching which is good.  He knows he can't draft WRs he even practically admitted that so he traded for one.  He stuck to drafting linemen high.  The last 2 years 3/4 of the picks on the first 2 days were linemen, last year a top 10 pick took a consensus top WR pick.  Playing it safer.  

They have holes at corner and safety yet stuck to the board and didn't try to reach for those positions, I was actually glad to see that.  Build the roster with the best talent, don't reach.  I still think they could have kept #19 until draft day and then traded back to the late 1st to get Jermaine Johnson, George Karlaftis or Daxton Hill who would have taken care of a gaping hole at safety.  I know he wants the future picks, but would've been nice to add another defensive talent in this draft.

They do say to wait to truly judge a draft for 3 years, but the guys they selected seem mostly like solid selections.  Jordan Davis hopefully is a beast for years to come.  

16 hours ago, Procus said:

For me this proves that it really isn’t hate. Had it been hate the negativity would still have been there no matter how this draft panned out. Hate is emotional, this proves there is some rational critique of his actions (whether or not it was justified).

• Like 1

So is it safe to say Howie in back to back drafts nailed them? 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

So is it safe to say Howie in back to back drafts nailed them? 😂 

Well, not so fast there...  When people complain about drafts they say you have to wait 3 years to truly judge it, so it's only fair to do that for apparent good drafts as well.  You never know how picks work out, some are just average and some are busts.  Some end up not getting a 2nd contract.  But this year on paper it's a good draft.  If you count trading for Brown that's a good move as well.  But we have to see if Dean truly works out and the injury issues go away. Is Jurgens the guy they think, we won't really know for 2-3 years after Kelce's gone and he is locked in at starter.  There were other players people wanted in this draft especially guys who fell to the late 1st so will we look back in 3 years with regrets there?   But, right now the picks they took were good picks.  

Last year's draft:  Smith was a safe consensus choice at a position of need.  Will we regret not taking Micah Parsons?  Dickerson was a good pick and so far his injury hasn't been a problem but let's see long term that he stays healthy.  The rest were backups and depth.  Let's see who gets a 2nd contract, who emerges as a starter.  Is Milton Williams starter material?  Will Zech contribute anything at corner?  They're so thin at corner and being a 2nd year player he has all the opportunity to prove himself.  That might be another draft where the guys aren't total busts but who could they have taken instead?  We'll have to really judge that in a few years.  But, it was certainly better than previous drafts.  It was nice to see Gainwell contribute as much as he did as a rookie I wasn't expecting that much production.

3 hours ago, mihailo said:

For me this proves that it really isn’t hate. Had it been hate the negativity would still have been there no matter how this draft panned out. Hate is emotional, this proves there is some rational critique of his actions (whether or not it was justified).

The negativity is still here when it comes to Roseman. Just not with this draft.

People will call for his firing in no time again.

15 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Last year's draft:  Smith was a safe consensus choice at a position of need. 

Fair thing to say if we would have picked Smith at 6. And most people would have liked that as a good pick.

But with pick #6 and a third we got Smith and a first. And that’s going at it exceptionally well.

3 minutes ago, Infam said:

Fair thing to say if we would have picked Smith at 6. And most people would have liked that as a good pick.

But with pick #6 and a third we got Smith and a first. And that’s going at it exceptionally well.

Trades are a part of it, but I'm talking about the players actually selected and added to the roster.  My point is Smith was a safe choice. Howie does better picking in the top 13, picks after #13 he does poorly.  No one argued Smith was a bad pick, even if you preferred Parsons everyone agreed Smith was a good WR pick there.  It's a credit to Howie, for not blowing that pick and making a good choice.  I think that's easier for him the higher he picks.

• Like 1

Just now, NOTW said:

Trades are a part of it, but I'm talking about the players actually selected and added to the roster.  My point is Smith was a safe choice. Howie does better picking in the top 13, picks after #13 he does poorly.  No one argued Smith was a bad pick, even if you preferred Parsons everyone agreed Smith was a good WR pick there.  It's a credit to Howie, for not blowing that pick and making a good choice.  I think that's easier for him the higher he picks.

I think you should take that trade into account if you want to measure the success of that draft. Because he could’ve just picked Smith. Instead we not only got him but got massive extra value.

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Well, not so fast there...  When people complain about drafts they say you have to wait 3 years to truly judge it, so it's only fair to do that for apparent good drafts as well.  You never know how picks work out, some are just average and some are busts.  Some end up not getting a 2nd contract.  But this year on paper it's a good draft.  If you count trading for Brown that's a good move as well.  But we have to see if Dean truly works out and the injury issues go away. Is Jurgens the guy they think, we won't really know for 2-3 years after Kelce's gone and he is locked in at starter.  There were other players people wanted in this draft especially guys who fell to the late 1st so will we look back in 3 years with regrets there?   But, right now the picks they took were good picks.  

Last year's draft:  Smith was a safe consensus choice at a position of need.  Will we regret not taking Micah Parsons?  Dickerson was a good pick and so far his injury hasn't been a problem but let's see long term that he stays healthy.  The rest were backups and depth.  Let's see who gets a 2nd contract, who emerges as a starter.  Is Milton Williams starter material?  Will Zech contribute anything at corner?  They're so thin at corner and being a 2nd year player he has all the opportunity to prove himself.  That might be another draft where the guys aren't total busts but who could they have taken instead?  We'll have to really judge that in a few years.  But, it was certainly better than previous drafts.  It was nice to see Gainwell contribute as much as he did as a rookie I wasn't expecting that much production.

I just posted that to rile you up a little. 😂🤣😂