Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

Howie doesn't get enough credit. 

His drafts led to our first SB victory.

This from Fake Dave.

2018: To make our superbowl run, Howie leveraged draft capital to get Wentz as well as several vet pieces to put around him.  Then after the Lombardi going down broad street, Howie had the difficult task of picking last as well as having limited draft capital.  What did he do?

2    49    Philadelphia Eagles    Dallas Goedert     TE
4    125    Philadelphia Eagles    Avonte Maddox     CB
4    130    Philadelphia Eagles    Josh Sweat †    DE
6    206    Philadelphia Eagles    Matt Pryor     OT
7    233    Philadelphia Eagles    Jordan Mailata    Rugby

4 Starters, 2-3 with serious multiple pro bowl potential.  And while Pryor was "ok", he contributed and we got our 6th back.

A+++

What about last years draft?

1    10    Philadelphia Eagles    DeVonta Smith    WR
2    37    Philadelphia Eagles    Landon Dickerson     C
3    73    Philadelphia Eagles    Milton Williams     DT
4    123    Philadelphia Eagles    Zech McPhearson     CB
5    150    Philadelphia Eagles    Kenneth Gainwell     RB
6    189    Philadelphia Eagles    Marlon Tuipulotu     DT
6    191    Philadelphia Eagles    Tarron Jackson     DE
6*    224    Philadelphia Eagles    JaCoby Stevens     S
7    234    Philadelphia Eagles    Patrick Johnson     DE

Smith is already looking like a top 10 route runner.  He will only get better.  Dickerson is a mauler and he and the Aussie will destroy other teams defensive lines for YEARS.  Williams has serious talent ahead of him on the depth chart yet flashed in limited opportunities.  Gainwell may be the most frustrating for me.  He has shown he has a nose for the end zone, why his carries were limited more and more as the season wore on.

It's early, but this is a solid B+ draft

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

I miss this @EazyEaglez  :lol:

EE Howie 1.PNG

EE Howie 2.PNG

EE Howie 3.PNG

EE Howie 4.PNG

EE Howie 5.PNG

I’m still that guy! 😂 Look I’m not a big fan of Howie, but I can’t acknowledge he’s done some good too. The harsh reality is Howie isn’t going anywhere so there’s no point in complaining anymore. I’m just hoping he nails the draft now. 😂🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m still that guy! 😂 Look I’m not a big fan of Howie, but I can’t acknowledge he’s done some good too. The harsh reality is Howie isn’t going anywhere so there’s no point in complaining anymore. I’m just hoping he nails the draft now. 😂🤣😂

5vissg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

The sooner everyone else gets to this point the better lol

• Haha 1

Draft prediction:

Rd1 pick 1: pretty good defensive player but not a stud.

Rd1 pick 2: a lineman taken too high, with a handful of other guys most people thought were better but some fans like drafting a lineman.

Rd1 pick 3: trade back

Rounds 2-3: 1 JAG that might eventually start, a reach backup that doesn't get a 2nd contract.

Rounds 4-7: Mostly busts, a JAG, and 1 decent backup that might get some starts in their 2nd year when someone gets injured, and will be used to suggest Howie's not that bad, he drafted "a starter."

37 minutes ago, NOTW said:

5vissg.jpg

Every time an Eagles fan says "I think Howie should be fired!” Jeff Lurie says: 

4A0E9F8F-C05A-48C0-A4AD-D34E02D436FA.jpeg

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Every time an Eagles fan says "I think Howie should be fired!” Jeff Lurie says: 

4A0E9F8F-C05A-48C0-A4AD-D34E02D436FA.jpeg

5viqxj.jpg

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Lurie's PC the other day.

Reporter: what do you say to the fans worried that Howie is the one making those picks.

Lurie: it's a misnomer to think that one person is actually making the picks, it's an organization.  Maybe it was information, maybe we collaborated and it was a scheme fit or medical evaluation reason.  In the end it's Howie's responsible to collect all the information and make a decision.  I have a lot of faith in where we're at and the processes we have.  You have to trust your leadership and I really trust our leadership.

He also said that there were only 3 times he let his excitement show about a player but that he never oversteps it and says who they should take.  Lane Johnson, Russell Wilson and Jordan Mailata...said he based Lane and Jordan on Stoutland's evaluation and just being excited. 

On JJAW:  He said it's not true he pushed for JJAW.  He said they were deciding between JJAW and Paris Campbell.  They checked with Lurie and he said both are "red star players" and high character and he was comfortable with either.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Lurie's PC the other day.

Reporter: what do you say to the fans worried that Howie is the one making those picks.

Lurie: it's a misnomer to think that one person is actually making the picks, it's an organization.  Maybe it was information, maybe we collaborated and it was a scheme fit or medical evaluation reason.  In the end it's Howie's responsible to collect all the information and make a decision.  I have a lot of faith in where we're at and the processes we have.  You have to trust your leadership and I really trust our leadership.

He also said that there were only 3 times he let his excitement show about a player but that he never oversteps it and says who they should take.  Lane Johnson, Russell Wilson and Jordan Mailata...said he based Lane and Jordan on Stoutland's evaluation and just being excited. 

On JJAW:  He said it's not true he pushed for JJAW.  He said they were deciding between JJAW and Paris Campbell.  They checked with Lurie and he said both are "red star players" and high character and he was comfortable with either.

So much double talk by Lurie. Says he was only involved in moves that just so happened to be connected to players who turned out to be great, but also made it clear he was involved in forcing Doug to fire coaches he didn’t think we’re good. You can’t claim to be hands off when you’re literally meddling with the coaching staff. 

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

So much double talk by Lurie. Says he was only involved in moves that just so happened to be connected to players who turned out to be great, but also made it clear he was involved in forcing Doug to fire coaches he didn’t think we’re good. You can’t claim to be hands off when you’re literally meddling with the coaching staff. 

Actually bud I don't think he said that. I think he acknowledged that he's hands on where an owner should be (hiring of coaches and GM). But he's hands off when it comes to the draft stuff. I could be wrong but I'm sure that's what I heard. 

57 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Actually bud I don't think he said that. I think he acknowledged that he's hands on where an owner should be (hiring of coaches and GM). But he's hands off when it comes to the draft stuff. I could be wrong but I'm sure that's what I heard. 

I believe the question was about his overall approach though he originally made it about the draft, and he spoke on his coaching staff meddling after a question was asked about it. Regardless I don’t think you’re getting the best coaches available if you’re telling him who he can and can’t hire. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I believe the question was about his overall approach though he originally made it about the draft, and he spoke on his coaching staff meddling after a question was asked about it. Regardless I don’t think you’re getting the best coaches available if you’re telling him who he can and can’t hire. 

I don't know how hands on with that stuff he is in general though? Like with Andy Reid I'm sure he was hands off. If Belichick were to be HC then I'm sure he'd be hands off. I just don't think he trusted Doug to put his staff together. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 6:23 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't know how hands on with that stuff he is in general though? Like with Andy Reid I'm sure he was hands off. If Belichick were to be HC then I'm sure he'd be hands off. I just don't think he trusted Doug to put his staff together. 

Considering they hired Doug’s DC before they hired him I doubt they ever believed in Doug to hire his own coaching staff. With that being the case considering the guy won the SB he probably deserved a little benefit of doubt in that area considering some of the talent he was saddled with on some of those seasons. He was also pretty hands off on Chip and frankly Doug did more of the Eagles than Chip ever did. Smoothie makers and loud music in the bubble aside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LacesOut said:

Howie is not done wheeling and dealing. I would expect at least one draft day move, on Thursday.

5vissg.jpg

@NOTW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love me some Howie. I hope he and the Eagles staff has an awesome draft that they can be proud of.

I hope Lurie is spending plenty of money in the talent evaluation area with scouting and consultants.

The draft is like Christmas as a fan. I can't wait to see what we get in the draft.

Howie is terrible. Hurts is terrible. It's amazing that fans just accept that he's allowed to have a season which is year 2 of a coach and QB where no actual improvement in results is expected.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 5:57 AM, NOTW said:

Draft prediction:

Rd1 pick 1: pretty good defensive player but not a stud.

So, Karlaftis?

On 2/16/2022 at 5:57 AM, NOTW said:

Rd1 pick 2: a lineman taken too high, with a handful of other guys most people thought were better but some fans like drafting a lineman.

Kenyon Green!

On 4/25/2020 at 12:49 AM, NOTW said:

Howie has no business being over a draft.  Lurie needs to make 1 of 2 choices:

1. Fire Howie and get a real GM.  He won't do that.

2. Move Howie to a Joe Banner executive role handling cap, contracts and negotiations.  Hire a new VP of Personnel (Weidl needs to go) who will be over all scouting and set the draft board and decide the draft picks.  Phase Howie out, other people can do contracts.

My quick reaction to the first 3 picks:

1. Reagor is a good pick, not great.  
2. Hurts - stupid. Take a developmental QB with one of your three 4th round picks, sure.  Not 2nd.
3. Taylor - never heard of him.  Athletic, special teamer and outside LB/S hybrid.  The LB room sucks so they needed one.  We'll see.

I would have done:

1. LB Queen
2. WR Mims
3. S Burgess

Or if they still take Reagor, take DE Epenesa in the 2nd.  Or CB Fulton. Then trade up in the 3rd for Duvernay.

I prefer your option #2 above. Howie has done pretty well with his trades. His cap management has worked but he kicks the can down the road further and more often that I would prefer. He either needs to listen to his scouts and coaches or let someone else handle the draft. I don't know how last year's draft was handled but whatever they did, it worked pretty well.

31 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

New game to test skills:

How many times will other GMs laugh at Howie picks?

Also, will we have a repeat of a scout furious at him and Howie's confused reaction?

• Like 1