EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Lockdowns were to buy time to keep the health system from being overwhelmed.

The problem has been that people refuse to wear masks and social distance, which is why Red areas had higher rates of infection after April.

We're going to see this in Texas, where the idiot Governor has cancelled their mask mandate (though the big cities are making it clear that they'll enforce trespass laws, that is, go into a business that has a mask requirement sans mask and you're guilty of trespassing).

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I wasn't knocking the lockdowns.  I was knocking Howie for not recognizing that revenues for 2020 were going to be down (significantly), impacting the 2021 cap.  A blind man should have seen it coming.

I'll leave the rest go as you are trying to make my comment political.   It wasn't.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I wasn't knocking the lockdowns.  I was knocking Howie for not recognizing that revenues for 2020 were going to be down (significantly), impacting the 2021 cap.  A blind man should have seen it coming.

I'll leave the rest go as you are trying to make my comment political.   It wasn't.

That is something people are over looking. Howie planned this whole off-season without covid.... Which is great but then it happened so he needed a new plan and he still didn't bother. 

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

The problem has been that people refuse to wear masks and social distance, which is why Red areas had higher rates of infection after April.

We're going to see this in Texas, where the idiot Governor has cancelled their mask mandate (though the big cities are making it clear that they'll enforce trespass laws, that is, go into a business that has a mask requirement sans mask and you're guilty of trespassing).

Stay in your lane.  

9 hours ago, austinfan said:

But 2022 is not a bad year to park a lot of dead money, how many players are the Eagles going to extend?

At some point during this season, I expect the Eagles will extend Goedert, Mailata, Maddox, Sweat and Scott.  Possibly Ward just to piss off the folks that think he is a JAG.  Because of the knee, Sweat may never be more than a rotational player.  Mailata is at the least a swing T and may cost more than people think. Goedert is a solid starting TE but not a top five and more likely around average say 12-16 range. Maddox brings at worst nickel back money.  Scott brings 3rd down back money   I think 2022 extensions may cost around $25 million in 2022 but not any more than that and quite possibly less than that.

Boston Scott should get 500k per game against the Giants and $5 per game against everyone else.

25 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Boston Scott should get 500k per game against the Giants and $5 per game against everyone else.

Zero drops last year.  More valuable than credited. 

32 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

The irony here is that that would be higher than his actual salary.

665082772_ScreenShot2021-03-06at8_20_34PM.png.61eb7b2c9d98d890845fae7251282bcf.png

6 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

It’s hard to evaluate supporting cast level players when the foundation of the team is imploding.  Boston Scott (maybe) could be a really nice 3rd down back on a team with a top notch OL, a functional passing game with QB/receivers, and a rb who can handle the primary load while staying healthy, thus enabling the scatback to be a unique matchup instead of an ineffective replacement.  The Eagles go 0/3 on those things, so it’s hard to evaluate Scott.  His production is middling, but there could be more there as a proper role player.  

Zero drops for a RB with 25 rec who does nothing but catch 2 yard horizontal screen passes means nothing to me though.  

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The irony here is that that would be higher than his actual salary.

665082772_ScreenShot2021-03-06at8_20_34PM.png.61eb7b2c9d98d890845fae7251282bcf.png

Well, he’s going to be looking for a raise.

47 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

It’s hard to evaluate supporting cast level players when the foundation of the team is imploding.  Boston Scott (maybe) could be a really nice 3rd down back on a team with a top notch OL, a functional passing game with QB/receivers, and a rb who can handle the primary load while staying healthy, thus enabling the scatback to be a unique matchup instead of an ineffective replacement.  The Eagles go 0/3 on those things, so it’s hard to evaluate Scott.  His production is middling, but there could be more there as a proper role player.  

Zero drops for a RB with 25 rec who does nothing but catch 2 yard horizontal screen passes means nothing to me though.  

Add a true power back to pair with Sanders and Scott becomes a low cost, valuable tinker toy.

in the same way, Ward as a 3rd down reliable slot WR has value, but don't use him on WR screens.

10 hours ago, austinfan said:

Because in most cases you're not talking an elite player, you're talking a 2nd or 3rd WR, and ST play adds to the value of that player. If a WR is also a plus PR, he has more value.

With elite WRs it's a different calculation b/c you're not going to risk them on STs.

Wrong

6 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Slowest spin move ever. He’s a guy. But he’s a guy that successful teams can find in the draft very easily. 

10 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

I think Farley is a easy top 10 pick

Farley is an easy target in a trade-back scenario. Has all-pro potential.

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

I see lots of mocks with him landing in Dallas , and I can see that happening .

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Top 10 corners by a guy who scouted in the NFL for 7 years. 

Farley played just over 1 season at corner if I'm correct and then sat out last year.  I'd be wary of spending a high pick on him.  Maybe I'm worrying too much about the guys who took 2020 off but there's not telling how their game could have progressed or regressed had they played.  I feel much better taking a guy who played 2020 and we have film on.

Just look at Shaun Wade.  He was once touted as a sure thing 1st round pick.  He played 2020 and now he's looking at a potential 4th round grade.  There's just no telling how 1 year off impacted these guys.  That goes for Sewell, Parsons, Farley and even Trey Lance despite his 1 game.

Jaycee Horn is my guy at corner if we are looking in round 1.  Both UGA corners are intriguing in rounds 2-3.  I don't care that Stokes rand a 4.25, I care that they battled great WR in the SEC.  Wade would also intrigue me if he drops.  Could be tremendous value and potential in the 4th (if we get a pick back).

Not a big fan of horn ,  His run support is questionable , not a big playmaker on the ball , he was well into his college career before getting his first pick . I’d argue his most well rounded year , may have been early on in the slot .

I actually really liked SC other CB , Mukuama , but he kinda leveled out , still like his size and skill set.

15 hours ago, austinfan said:

How to handle customers refuse to wear masks entering a business when there is no mask mandate will be a difficult situation for the business management.  The trespass law may just be the solution.

Still private property , wear mask or leave , kinda like shirts and shoes required.

50 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Top 10 corners by a guy who scouted in the NFL for 7 years. 

Id never spend a top 10 pick on a corner in today's NFL the way it is structured. 

In today's game is fully benefits the offense side of the ball. Look at the top corners in the league and I don't see a guy that is considered elite and that offenses are afraid to throw their way anymore. There is no true shut down corners anymore so not worth that high of a pick. Id consider QB, Oline, Dline and yes even WR or LB a top 10 candidate. Only reason Id add a WR is because of the impact they make and advantages they have in the game. LB if they are an all around LB that can blitz, cover, run stop etc. Someone like Luke Kuechly or Bobby Wagner(3rd rounder BTW)

I just dont see the impact with corners anymore with how the game is played on defense, schemes and rules. Mid/Late first sure, but not a early first. 

1 hour ago, RLC said:

If you believe that just take him

dont get cute

Archived