EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, RLC said:

A CB is getting torched against a good WR, and the DC decides to not give him help all game. 

Did Slay play poorly? Of course. Schwartz did him no favors either.

I didn’t really mind the game he called vs Seattle. Lockett didn’t do squat. The Seahawks did what they normally do, run it a bunch (30 carries for 76 yards). Metcalf bullied Slay but they only scored 23 points. The defense held up OK overall. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Lol. He got toasted two games and was very good the others. All while being injured himself. 

You guys are nuts. 

My post said he would not be the same player. I think we all can agree that he was not. Doesnt mean it was all by his fault. Scheme plays a major role, esp when the oppt teams know exactly the plays that are coming.Comp % against Slay in Philly was 76.7%, last 2 years in Det was 55.9 and 46.8. QB rating against Slay in Philly 111.9 vs 81.6 and 72.1 in Det. Those are pretty big drop offs. Again I think it was more scheme and predictability that screwed him like all the DBs have struggled under Jim's scheme since the SB. 

I like Slay and think he can be a very good player in the right scheme and a DC that is not as predictable as Jim was. 

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

Wonder if Slay can handle FS, to me a FS with the range to cover for pressing CBs is more valuable than a CB in today's NFL.

With multiple WR sets you can throw away from a shutdown CB, but the FS is always in position to make plays if the QB is careless.

Are you kidding me?  Have you watched his tackling and angles.  He is best as a man corner. This almost makes me miss Doug704.  He was a troll but he did understand coverages and that not every corner can morph to be a S.  I like Ss with corner skills but more corners than not don’t have S skills.  And some college Ss don’t have S skills either, which is why Singleton and Gerry are trying to be LBs.  Further, every light 210-220 LB can’t be a S either. Are you really trying to be Howie when you say things like this? 

17 minutes ago, RLC said:

A CB is getting torched against a good WR, and the DC decides to not give him help all game. 

Did Slay play poorly? Of course. Schwartz did him no favors either.

That’s why Howie needs to draft a real FS this year.

6 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Douglas74 blast from the past

Only time I liked his posts were when he talked coverages and secondary.   Bet you miss your discussions with Ghor on draft prospects.  

6 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Only time I liked his posts were when he talked coverages and secondary.   Bet you miss your discussions with Ghor on draft prospects.  

Yep , I forgot about him , lots of posters gone since I have been on the board , hard to believe it’s been 17 years .

what happen to ghor ?

38 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Good or very good, whatever, it’s semantics, but to suggest he struggled all year is a ridiculous statement.

I'd say considering the eagles struggles as a team and end record it's not much of a stretch to say slay struggled. The whole team struggled and it's not like slay was the exception. Dude had one Int the whole year and got embarrassed a couple games and was in and out of the line up every other week due to injury. I think it's ridiculous to say he didn't struggle all season just like his whole team.

Sure the eagles had a few good moments and games here and there as did slay but for the most part they and him struggled all year whether due to Injury or other factors. The whole team stunk and slay doesn't escape the stink because he shut down a few hobbled receivers.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

He was responding to Utebirds wildly erroneous statement that Slay struggled all year. Many said Slay was very good other than 2 games while he played injured. 

Slay did struggle all year, maybe I should amend my statement to say , Slay struggled to live up to expectations and his contract all year.

Being the 4 th highest paid corner in the league Id hope more was expected from him than 1 int a litany of Injuries missed snaps and uneven play.

Having said that Slay isn't all at fault as has been mentioned schwartz didn't do him any favors.

Having said that I still mai tai slay struggled as did the eagles and slay didn't meet expectations or live up to his high priced contract or reputation.

I think Schwartz was somewhat misunderstood as our DC here.  I won’t go as far as saying underrated, but he did a nice job of taking average (or below) net talent into above average scoring units.  

But that guy just ruined the careers of young DBs.  He handled them all wrong.

32 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I'd say considering the eagles struggles as a team and end record it's not much of a stretch to say slay struggled. The whole team struggled and it's not like slay was the exception. Dude had one Int the whole year and got embarrassed a couple games and was in and out of the line up every other week due to injury. I think it's ridiculous to say he didn't struggle all season just like his whole team.

Sure the eagles had a few good moments and games here and there as did slay but for the most part they and him struggled all year whether due to Injury or other factors. The whole team stunk and slay doesn't escape the stink because he shut down a few hobbled receivers.

Yes, it is. Slay is one of 11 players on the field for the defense. To say he struggled because the Eagles struggled makes no sense. It’s a team game. 

Did Deshaun Watson struggle for the Texans? 

5 hours ago, Utebird said:

2nd and 3rd round rookie corners are great, they're cheap.

Ist round rookie corners or high priced FA corners are a bad investment in my opinion 

Aye, that they are.... Sydney Jones and Rasul Douglas were very cheap.   Not so sure about the 'great' part.

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I think Schwartz was somewhat misunderstood as our DC here.  I won’t go as far as saying underrated, but he did a nice job of taking average (or below) net talent into above average scoring units.  

But that guy just ruined the careers of young DBs.  He handled them all wrong.

Yup, stat wise Schwartz did a good job  more often than not with not a ton of talent in the back 7 of limiting points.

Where he struggled was designing creative defenses schemes that created pressure and confusion that led to turnovers.

The defenses lack of turnovers under Schwartz was pathetic and when the whole defense success Is predicated on the front 4 getting pressure and they don't then the whole defense sucks.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Aye, that they are.... Sydney Jones and Rasul Douglas were very cheap.   Not so sure about the 'great' part.

Turns out rasul douglas just needed a change in scenery where he played in a scheme that fit his skill set 

He was pretty effective in carolina this year, better than he was here and better than any of the eagles corners this past year.

Sydney jones not so much, dude makes Osi look tough.

20 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Yes, it is. Slay is one of 11 players on the field for the defense. To say he struggled because the Eagles struggled makes no sense. It’s a team game. 

Did Deshaun Watson struggle for the Texans? 

Yes I agree, brandon Graham finally made a pro bowl and it came in a year the team sucked.

Yet notice who didn't make a pro bowl?

Slay. 

One can say well he still played well. I expect the 4th highest corner in the league to play better than ok or pretty good 

Howie didn't trade for him to be ok or pretty good he traded for him to be a pro bowl Corner to be a top 5 at his position like he's paid to be, he wasn't he wasn't even close, hd played no where near a pro bowl level, for most of the year he was solid nothing spectacular nothing bowl worthy and for a few games he was embarrassed.

To me that's struggling. Not struggling would be playing at a pro bowl level having more than 1 int and not getting abused by two top receivers. He was paid to hang with those guys and instead were patting him on the back for shutting down scrubs or guys being thrown to by scrubs or guys playing on one leg.

Not to mention the times offenses just didn't throw his way not because they were scared to but because it was so easy to complete passes against whatever scrub was on the other side of the field or in the middle if it.

Slay had a down year last year and performed way below expectations whether one defines that as struggling or not is a matter of like you said, semantics.

2 hours ago, RLC said:

Eagles now are -34M in cap room, according to OverTheCap. That includes the Kelce/Slay restructures.

On deck: Graham, Barnett, Lane. Goodwin is an easy 4M too.

Don't we have around 20 mil that we were pushing to this year? 

3 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Don't we have around 20 mil that we were pushing to this year? 

It is included in that number

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I don't see how you can just take away 2 horrible games.  If you take away any starter's 2 worst games, they are going to have very good numbers.

Slay IS very good.  I'm not going to argue that anyway.  But I will argue that he's not nearly worth the investment.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

That’s the point. 

He won't be when it matters again. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

It is included in that number

Oh damn 

1 hour ago, Original Sin said:

Yep , I forgot about him , lots of posters gone since I have been on the board , hard to believe it’s been 17 years .

what happen to ghor ?

Time.  Needed to focus on his career. My travel before I retired was crazy.  Ghor’s rivaled mine, in fact often he was on the road all week whereas many of my trips were in and out, rarely more than 3 days.  When you finish the day and then go back to the hotel to workout and then catch up with work, it doesn’t leave a lot of time for a message board so something had to give.

54 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Turns out rasul douglas just needed a change in scenery where he played in a scheme that fit his skill set 

He was pretty effective in carolina this year, better than he was here and better than any of the eagles corners this past year.

Sydney jones not so much, dude makes Osi look tough.

I don't disagree that there was a disconnect between the front office and the coaching staff... but I put that on both parties.   GMs shouldn't draft players that the coaching staff doesn't know how to maximize.   (Or trade for those players for that matter.)

We switched from a zone-based scheme to a man-based scheme in 2020. Douglas would have been worthless here. 

And his play tapered off dramatically after a hot start in Carolina. People seem to focus on the hot start and think he continued playing well after that. That’s not the case. 

3 hours ago, RLC said:

Eagles now are -34M in cap room, according to OverTheCap. That includes the Kelce/Slay restructures.

On deck: Graham, Barnett, Lane. Goodwin is an easy 4M too.

Gonna need a lot more than that 

5 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Gonna need a lot more than that 

We’re gonna restructure Cox’s contract so his 2022 cap number is like $25M and will eventually cost us $15M in dead cap to cut. I almost guarantee it. 

20 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

We switched from a zone-based scheme to a man-based scheme in 2020. Douglas would have been worthless here. 

And his play tapered off dramatically after a hot start in Carolina. People seem to focus on the hot start and think he continued playing well after that. That’s not the case. 

Of course, Douglas would be a good fit in a Cover-2 Colts' style scheme.

Archived