EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, metal said:

That wasn't much of a statement from Howie.

And a piss poor first question.  Geez Paul.  

How about asking him how he can defend any move he's made.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

False.  Walter Football still has there 2020  rankings up.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php

There is a huge group of us that are massive draft nuts.  There was not one site that had him as a top 5 WR leading up to the draft.  I am sure @Ray75, @Outlaw, @Slade can back me up on this.

Most sites had a second round grade on him and didn’t break their top 5 receiver rankings. 

I had a 2nd round grade on him but picked him in the EMB mock because I knew the Eagles were high on him.

Like you, my man crush was Jefferson months before the season came to a close. We were right! The kid is a future HOF-er if he keeps it up.

As for Reagor, most sites had Jeudy, Lamp, Ruggs, Jefferson, Higgins, Aiyuk, Claypool and Shenault ahead of him.

2 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I believe when I look at the All 22 that I will find that some of JJAW’s routes were TE routes.  JJAW moved to Hback, check. 

I'm good with that.  Put him in the Trey Burton role.  

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

There is nothing about his college stats suggesting he was bad at Alabama.

There is nothing in his college performance that suggest he was a good passer while at Alabama.  Quite to the contrary... which is why he was pulled from the NC Game for Tua.  

Lol Doug looks hilarious, I'm not even sure why. They just went split screen and I laughed very hard when Doug's face popped up. 

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Yeah, I remember prior to Mims' interview, he was the (near) consensus pick around here.  I wasn't high on him but 3/4 of the Blog was.  He dropped only after he bashed Philly.

I don’t believe he bashed philly until after the draft. Could be wrong but i believe that quote was after the draft. Either way people were in love with Denzel Mims due to his combine.

I am still of the belief the Eagles should’ve traded out of 21. I thought there were teams behind us that loved Justin Jefferson and thought he was one of the top three wide receivers in this draft. I know Daniel Jerimiah said he talked to some teams who believe that. That’s why I also would’ve traded out of that pick because I thought there were teams that would’ve given you a nice haul for doing that so they could leapfrog the Minnesota Vikings who are likely going to take a wide receiver at 21 especially if it was Jefferson  

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

There is nothing about his college stats suggesting he was bad at Alabama.

His job at Bama was to hand the ball off, run, and throw screens.  He got benched in the National Championship because of his inability to push the ball downfield.  Georgia stymied the run game and forced Bama to try to stretch the field.  Stats aren't the end all, be all.  He was pretty darn good at OU, like I said.  Bama, as a QB he wasn't.

2 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

As for Reagor, most sites had Jeudy, Lamp, Ruggs, Jefferson, Higgins, Aiyuk, Claypool and Shenault ahead of him.

Not prior to the combine, they didn't.   Lamb and Jeudy were the only two consensus top receivers prior to the combine.  There was debate among the rest.  

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Lol Doug looks hilarious, I'm not even sure why. They just went split screen and I laughed very hard when Doug's face popped up. 

He looks special.

I'm hoping someone asks about the cap and for some clarification on how to fix this mess.

7 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Fing hell I think Howie is staying

F you Lurie

I don't think he'd be out there today if they planned to move on from him.

56 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

That's a bunch of malarkey.

I must have posted 1000+ times in the days prior to the draft and on draft day.  I was here the ENTIRE time. 

ONLY after Lamb was picked was there interest in Jefferson (other than maybe @Iggles_Phan) who had wanted him all along.

Even after Lamb was picked, people still wanted Aiyuk, Mims, Reagor, Higgins, etc before they wanted Jefferson.  Jefferson was (at best) 2nd or 3rd option on most lists at that point. 

I take offense to that.  I_P and I were the Jefferson bandwagon.  I liked Jefferson more than Lamb.  That said, Jefferson was probably the second most NFL ready WR.  

Reagor had thumb surgery and lost part of camp with a shoulder that may need surgery this offseason.  That shoulder may have impacted his reach.  I still have concerns about him taking plays off. He isn’t as developed as Jefferson but I still saw him as round 1 worthy.  Just like I am not closing the book on Hightower and Watkins, I am not giving up on Reagor either.

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I don’t believe he bashed philly until after the draft. Could be wrong but i believe that quote was after the draft. Either way people were in love with Denzel Mims due to his combine.

I am still of the belief the Eagles should’ve traded out of 21. I thought there were teams behind us that loved Justin Jefferson and thought he was one of the top three wide receivers in this draft. I know Daniel Jerimiah said he talked to some teams who believe that. That’s why I also would’ve traded out of that pick because I thought there were teams that would’ve given you a nice haul for doing that so they could leapfrog the Minnesota Vikings who are likely going to take a wide receiver at 21 especially if it was Jefferson  

The initial "bashing" was prior to the draft and he doubled down on it after.

12 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Like I said...pre combine vs post combine.  Going into the season he was very highly thought of.  It's right there in the print.

April 1st, Reagor 9th

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/26/nfl-draft-top-wide-receiver-prospects-lamb-jeudy-higgins

April 20th, Reagor 7th

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-wide-receiver-rankings/3/

April 22, Mel Kiper, Reagor 9th

2020 NFL draft rankings - Final top 300 position rankings, Big Board from Mel Kiper (espn.com)

April 22, Todd McShay, Reagor 9th

2020 NFL draft rankings - Todd McShay's final top 300 prospects, plus position rankings (espn.com)

Pretty uncomfortable for both Doug and Howie

If both of these guys are coming back, which they obviously are, they have to bridge this obvious gap that exists between them.  They need to establish clear chains of command and an organizational structure bases on accountability and not consensus.  

Just now, BigEFly said:

I take offense to that.  I_P and I were the Jefferson bandwagon.  I liked Jefferson more than Lamb.  That said, Jefferson was probably the second most NFL ready WR.  

Reagor had thumb surgery and lost part of camp with a shoulder that may need surgery this offseason.  That shoulder may have impacted his reach.  I still have concerns about him taking plays off. He isn’t as developed as Jefferson but I still saw him as round 1 worthy.  Just like I am not closing the book on Hightower and Watkins, I am not giving up on Reagor either.

I think I remember you liking Jefferson.  You're just a lot more "soft spoken" than @Iggles_Phan is and since I tend to agree with you on most issues around here, I likely never got into a debate with you about it. :lol:

5 minutes ago, RLC said:

I say this as someone on the "Fire Howie" train, but he sounds like someone who knows he has to blow it up.

It's the only hope there is right now. Fire sale. Everything must go and we have to bring is as much young talent as possible. But can you trust him to do it? I don't 

Howie just said they are counting big time on JJAW and Reagor next year.... LOL

Already over next year. 

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

4 wins next year. maybe 5. probably another top 10 pick. 

Go follow the Steelers already.  :P

Archived