EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

12 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Reagor was the consensus #3 WR in the draft till the typical combine media spin and his numbers weren't as many thought.  Ruggs became the darling of the crowd then, a few joined the Jefferson bandwagon after his combine as well.  Somewhere in there a lot forgot about Reagor as the general thought was pre-combine he possibly wouldn't be available.  There was actually a pretty decent chunk on the Shenault bandwagon.

In no world was he the #3 consensus pick. I recall reading he was a fringe 1st, mostly likely 2nd round pick.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Giddyunc said:

Question for the draft people out there... outside of Lawrence and Fields, how does this QB class stack up to past years? 

Fields being the second best QB should tell you all you need to know.

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Actually the Eagles could be a lot of fun next year, depending on how the draft goes and whether they find coaches who can coach.

For the first time since they had a healthy DeSean, they actually have speed at WR, speed at RB, if they can replace Ertz with a fast H-back (JJAW may lack explosion at WR, but he ran a 4.50 at 225 lbs (Butler 4.48 at 220 lbs) even more speed on the field. With an OL that can actually pass block, I could see a lot of shoot outs next year b/c I'm not sure our defense will stop anyone unless we draft Surtain.

I think they would be a lot more fun without Howie and Doug. There would at least be excitement. Hope you're right either way. 

Glad to see you still on here, A-Fan! 

15 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Reagor was the consensus #3 WR in the draft till the typical combine media spin and his numbers weren't as many thought.  Ruggs became the darling of the crowd then, a few joined the Jefferson bandwagon after his combine as well.  Somewhere in there a lot forgot about Reagor as the general thought was pre-combine he possibly wouldn't be available.  There was actually a pretty decent chunk on the Shenault bandwagon.

2 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

In no world was he the #3 consensus pick. I recall reading he was a fringe 1st, mostly likely 2nd round pick.

Walter Football had him rated as the #8 WR, and the 7 ahead of him all outperformed him this year.   Across the board, the top 5 WR's were ( not in order )

Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb, Jefferson, Higgins.  

Several sites, ESPN included had Aiyuk and Claypool ranked ahead of Reagor.

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

I find it somewhat surprising and amusing how outraged the city is that Hurts didn’t get the full game.  Suddenly the city is so attached to this guy.

People are just completely glossing over the fact that Hurts is a horrible passer.  I think the city gets what they want...Hurts in 2021.  And we are going to have it shoved down our throat how bad the passing offense will be with Hurts under center.

Hurts was a 70% passer in college.  Wonder what he might do behind an actual NFL level group of OTs.  He was also a one look and run QB.  Like the rookie WRs, he got some experience this year.  The game will slow down for the WRs and him next year and the following.  He was experiencing the same onslaught that Carson experienced all year.  I am not saying he will amazingly become a progression whiz but then again, some Leach aspects by Doug wouldn’t hurt.  He does need a good QB coach. 

Some morning after thoughts as the season we finish out the season...

-- Doug's incompetence in 2020 was next level. He failed in almost every area a coach could fail in. His lack of assertiveness in holding his players and coaches accountable is just to much to ignore. Plus, I'm at the point of blaming him for constant major injuries. Hope Lurie comes to his senses and pulls the plug.

-- Jalen Reagor needs to look in the mirror this offseason. He has all the talent in his body to be a star player, but this was the second year in a row that he got sub par QB play and pouted about it. Also, learn how to f***ing catch punts.

-- Miles Sanders is not a feature back and that's not a bad thing. Find him a Latavius Murray and stop playing around.

-- Not sad at all about getting rid of Ertz. Thanks for the moments, but it's time.

-- Lots of early mocks have the Eagles taking Micah Parsons. Would be interesting to say the least.

1 minute ago, Giddyunc said:

Question for the draft people out there... outside of Lawrence and Fields, how does this QB class stack up to past years? 

The entire draft class of QB's not named Jones are projects.  Lawrence needs to put on 30 lbs and go to a good staff, with that the sky is the limit for the kid.  I haven't seen much of Lance, and if it wasn't for Wentz, I doubt he'd be a house hold name.  From what I've seen he's Jordan Love 2.0 as a prospect.

Jones...is McCarron 2.0.  I thought McCarron could be a good starter given his brain and adequate arm.  I was wrong...not falling for that again.  He's not worth mentioning like every other QB (including fields), if you're hoping for a franchise fixer in the next 2 years.

23 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

He put up zero points in the third quarter. That goes with his 7,6, and 0 counts in the second half of games.

If Carson is really leaving we better be drafting QB at six. Fields will be gone but the BYU kid looks like something and will prob be there. 

18 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

I was high on shenault just not at 21 once he had the injury. There was absolutely no way they would have taken him there nor should they have. If he fell to 53 or they moved back from 21 into the early 2nd it made some sense to select him there. Frankly if he didn’t play in Jacksonville he likely has a better season as their coaching was awful and he was still somewhat OK. 

4 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

He was certainly not on my radar at all when we picked. I knew he was there, but I was thinking more 2nd as well. 

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Walter Football had him rated as the #8 WR, and the 7 ahead of him all outperformed him this year.   Across the board, the top 5 WR's were ( not in order )

Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb, Jefferson, Higgins.  

Several sites, ESPN included had Aiyuk and Claypool ranked ahead of Reagor.

At the draft, after all the media spin, you are 100% correct.

6 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I think Reagor will be fine.  He was likely going to take longer than guys like Jefferson/Lamb/Jeudy to transition to the NFL....everyone knew that when he was drafted. 

There was no-preseason and he missed 5 3/4 games...so obviously that skewed both his numbers and his development.

Same as everyone else that was drafted this year.

The issue I have with Reagor is much less with his production, and more with his technique.  He needs to work on his game, and I mean really work.  Sitting on his phone after being concussed (bad idea just from a medical standpoint) indicates a lack of connection to what is happening on the field when it doesn't involve him.  Which was one of the knocks against him coming out... that he would take plays off when not the primary read.   That's an issue, and in a situation where he's not engaged in the game while not in the game, that's a concern, especially for a player who is NOT polished and missed OTAs and PS.  He should have been on the hip of Moorehead to pick up anything he could during the time that he was out with injury... and/or glued to the GAME feed on his screen, not Twitter.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I will likely watch every game... but I won't be glued to the TV like in the past.   And I might DVR the games, and watch them where I can fast forward them.

I watch most football via DVR nowadays.  Back it up when I want.  Enjoy the All 22 too.  And I mute the moot announcers. 

8 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Actually the Eagles could be a lot of fun next year, depending on how the draft goes and whether they find coaches who can coach.

For the first time since they had a healthy DeSean, they actually have speed at WR, speed at RB, if they can replace Ertz with a fast H-back (JJAW may lack explosion at WR, but he ran a 4.50 at 225 lbs (Butler 4.48 at 220 lbs) even more speed on the field. With an OL that can actually pass block, I could see a lot of shoot outs next year b/c I'm not sure our defense will stop anyone unless we draft Surtain.

With Doug and Howie back... I find no solace in any of this.

22 minutes ago, austinfan said:

It makes no sense to trade Wentz for anything less than a top 20 pick.

We saw enough from Hurts to know two things, he has NFL starter talent (has the arm strength, a nice intermediate ball and is a top runner, what he lacks in speed he makes up in his ability to avoid and break tackles and take hits with his FB body) and he's at least a year away in terms of reading defenses, etc.

So we're better trying to fix Wentz behind a much better OL and WRs with a year of coaching than giving him away, eating a year of his new deal, and seeing how far Hurts has progressed. Then next spring they can trade Wentz for peanuts if it doesn't work out at a lower cap hit to the team, why trade him for cashews this offseason?

I must have missed that

5 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Hurts was a 70% passer in college.  Wonder what he might do behind an actual NFL level group of OTs.  He was also a one look and run QB.  Like the rookie WRs, he got some experience this year.  The game will slow down for the WRs and him next year and the following.  He was experiencing the same onslaught that Carson experienced all year.  I am not saying he will amazingly become a progression whiz but then again, some Leach aspects by Doug wouldn’t hurt.  He does need a good QB coach. 

By college you mean at OU, he was dreadful as a passer at Bama.

2 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

At the draft, after all the media spin, you are 100% correct.

False.  Walter Football still has there 2020  rankings up.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php

There is a huge group of us that are massive draft nuts.  There was not one site that had him as a top 5 WR leading up to the draft.  I am sure @Ray75, @Outlaw, @Slade can back me up on this.

2 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I watch most football via DVR nowadays.  Back it up when I want.  Enjoy the All 22 too.  And I mute the moot announcers. 

My DVR automatically lets me rewind as I choose to, but I think I will be intentionally watching the game about an hour or two behind to be able to fast forward through the 'ugh' moments of Doug...

Just now, downundermike said:

False.  Walter Football still has there 2020  rankings up.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php

There is a huge group of us that are massive draft nuts.  There was not one site that had him as a top 5 WR leading up to the draft.  I am sure @Ray75, @Outlaw, @Slade can back me up on this.

I can, too, I said the same thing.

4 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

By college you mean at OU, he was dreadful as a passer at Bama.

I am not even a Hurts fan, but you can not just post BS and expect not to get called on it.  His highest completion percentage was his junior year, AT ALABAMA.

image.png.db180a6c6e630fe5a2ddaf564836fcdd.png

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

My DVR automatically lets me rewind as I choose to, but I think I will be intentionally watching the game about an hour or two behind to be able to fast forward through the 'ugh' moments of Doug...

So you fast forward through the whole game?

7 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I didn’t say that Boston Scott is a #2 RB, I said he is a solid rotation RB as skatback. The Darren Sproles role in a three man rotation.  What Westbrook was in the Buck, Duce rotation (no, I don’t think Scott develops into a Westbrook).  He is getting better at pass pro and he runs with a low center of gravity. Further, he can tackle Chase Young.  He’s the kind of player you want in that third RB role.  I think he is better than a JAG.  Not every player needs to be a HOF level.  

I tend to be an optimist.  There are players that played last night that have no place on an active roster, IMO.  Scott isn’t one of those.

And, hey, Ward actually returned some punts. I think the Eagles return game is based on analytics.   Don’t set up the return because blocking results in penalties.  Fair catch it if you have a good angle.  At certain points on the field, let it bounce.  NFL doesn’t like kickoffs and punts. Look at how many blocks in the back and holds get called on receiving teams.  I think until last night, the team was governed by stats.  

I think the Slay trade was good use of draft capital.  Especially when paired with Surtain next year.  Hargrave was expensive but he was dominating a pro bowl G last night. 

I like Scott and think he's a decent 3rd down RB and spot starter.  I hate him as a kick returner.  I don't think he's shown any ability to break a return.  I would rather they use a rookie like Quez Watkins or even Reagor.  You're 110% right that Scott is a good back up like a Dion Lewis or Sproles.  It's a player that can help win games for the team.  

I think Slay had a great season.  Going into the season, I was fine with the move because I thought the team could improve upon a 9 win season with the signing.  I am not sure he has value to the team next season.  Sure it would be great to pair him with Surtain to have a solid secondary.  I just think 2021 is likely a rebuild year.  So is an aging very good CB on a big contract an asset the team can turn into something that helps in 2022? I think Slay could be dealt for picks and that would better help the team.  I mean they could deal him for a 2nd round pick potentially and draft Assante Samuel Jr and Surtain to have a longer term solution at the position.  I don't think Slay makes this team a playoff contender next season.  He's not a key piece for a deep run in the playoffs.  

Archived