EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

False.  Walter Football still has there 2020  rankings up.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php

There is a huge group of us that are massive draft nuts.  There was not one site that had him as a top 5 WR leading up to the draft.  I am sure @Ray75, @Outlaw, @Slade can back me up on this.

Like I said...pre combine vs post combine.  Going into the season he was very highly thought of.  It's right there in the print.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And there was a huge drop off after him.  But the Eagles locked in on Reagor because of his dads relationship with the Eagles and it was a "historic" WR draft.  

Historic RB draft, Eagles come away with Donnel Pumphrey.

In historic WR draft years ago, Eagles come away with Jordan Matthews and Josh Huff.

In history WR draft this past year, Eagles come away with Jalen Reagor, John Hightower and Quez Watkins... SOOOO many other options that would have been better at various points in the draft.  

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Same as everyone else that was drafted this year

Right.  The idea behind that is that Reagor would have benefited more by having a pre-season than players like Jefferson, Lamb, Jeudy etc who were already polished, near NFL ready WR's.

Just now, greend said:

So you fast forward through the whole game?

Starting next year... I just might.

29 minutes ago, austinfan said:

It makes no sense to trade Wentz for anything less than a top 20 pick.

We saw enough from Hurts to know two things, he has NFL starter talent (has the arm strength, a nice intermediate ball and is a top runner, what he lacks in speed he makes up in his ability to avoid and break tackles and take hits with his FB body) and he's at least a year away in terms of reading defenses, etc.

So we're better trying to fix Wentz behind a much better OL and WRs with a year of coaching than giving him away, eating a year of his new deal, and seeing how far Hurts has progressed. Then next spring they can trade Wentz for peanuts if it doesn't work out at a lower cap hit to the team, why trade him for cashews this offseason?

Perhaps as a third down RB.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I am not even a Hurts fan, but you can not just post BS and expect not to get called on it.  His highest completion percentage was his junior year, AT ALABAMA.

image.png.db180a6c6e630fe5a2ddaf564836fcdd.png

On 70 attempts, which was all in garbage time...

24 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I wonder if when they get rid of all this pile of burning poo, if they could bring in Terry Robiskie?   What's he doing these days?

As opposed to what we just suffered through...  

No, you are right, it will be more of the same.

20 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Sorry I dont recall that, what I recall was after pick was made some were OK with the Reagor pick, after they were talked into it. At least in the blog. I cant say it was that way elsewhere during the draft, but here in the blog. 

I think there were people who had accepted this was the inevitability because the previous two weeks more and more smoke came out about reagor and the eagles. I believe mosher and caplan the week up until the draft were basically strongly hinting at and telling you it was going to be reagor.

two things: first I thought the Eagles should have traded back from 21 to begin with after they didn’t want to move up for lamb. They had a ton of question marks and holes on the roster. They weren’t just one WR away from being a SB contender in my opinion. They were fools gold in 2019. They needed more young players infused into this roster so that the transition from the end of this era to the next one would go more smoothly. People had a hard time seeing that back in April but that was the case back then as well. They need more picks than anything and the second tier of WR group had a bunch of talent to the point of you traded back could still get a very productive WR. Second This is exactly what I said back in March, you better be right in your evaluations if you are passing up on Jefferson. If you believe he’s only going to be a good slot receiver and just average on the outside then that’s fine but you better not be wrong cause if you were then it’s going to look awful. The eagles evaluated poorly and it’s showed itself this year. i accepted the eagles decision prior to the draft that it was going to be reagor if they stayed at 21. Wasn’t happy or upset cause it was kind of obvious that’s whom They were going to go after

if we are being honest there were more people that were lower on Brandon aiyuk then on Justin jefferson. There were like two people on this board that loved aiyuk. We had more people in love with mims than liked aiyuk. I was completely wrong on aiyuk i thought it would take him way longer to be productive then again i did love the situation he went into with shanahan he maximizes guys talent better than anyone so really shouldn’t be that surprised he got aiyuk playing at that level. 

Actually he did start the SEC championship that year right when Tua had the ankle injury?  So there was that.

Just now, Solomon said:

Aren't Doug and Howie supposed to be on announcing their resign?

They are late. Probably getting their lies straight before they go live.

The picture of Ertz, Wentz, and Kelce was a little depressing

Ertz had a bunch of plays of no effort this season though so that killed notion of giving him money

4 hours ago, greend said:

Ummmm, I've never seen any fan say anything bad about Kelce. He's a fan favorite

Kelce was not a fan favorite when we didn't have guards

8 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And there was a huge drop off after him.  But the Eagles locked in on Reagor because of his dads relationship with the Eagles and it was a "historic" WR draft.  

Yep. And there were plenty of reports and smoke coming out that they were going to take reagor. By the time the draft started if they stayed at 21 you knew that was going be the pick. The Eagles were basically telegraphing it at that point.

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I don't know if his father had anything to do with the pick.  I think it was simply his speed.  In fairness to Howie, Jefferson has outperformed every WR taken ahead of him. I mean Ruggs is by far a bigger disappointment in terms of production.  

7 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Like I said...pre combine vs post combine.  Going into the season he was very highly thought of.  It's right there in the print.

100% false.  All rankings pre and post combine did not have him top 5.  Walter Football updated their rankings after the combine.

58 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

JJAW?   I agree.  

I believe when I look at the All 22 that I will find that some of JJAW’s routes were TE routes.  JJAW moved to Hback, check. 

Just now, Ace Nova said:

Right.  The idea behind that is that Reagor would have benefited more by having a pre-season than players like Jefferson, Lamb etc who were already polished, near NFL ready WR's.

Sure... which just goes to show the idiocy of Howie and the team in making Reagor the pick and not addressing the WR position in free agency.

Desean was guaranteed to miss time this year.  guaranteed.  
Alshon was coming off injury and was guaranteed to start on the PUP/IR.  

The rest of the WR corps was going to be Greg Ward and a bunch of Rookies.    Hmmm.... its almost like they set Wentz up for failure... or more exactly, like they decided that it was ok to give him crap to work with, because he figured out how to make it work at the end of 2019.   GROSS NEGLIGENCE.   (I don't know how many times I've used that term in regards to this team, but it fits, so I will continue to use it.)

IF you are forcing a rookie WR into a big role (they were) then you need to get a WR that can step in and play.  Howie knew that the Pandemic was going to interfere when FA started and the draft rolled around.   He miscalculated big time.   So, you get a bridge FA (like... um... Robby Anderson, whom people were clamoring for...) or make a trade for a veteran like Stefon Diggs... or draft a WR that is READY from Day 1 - Justin Jefferson.... and add the lottery picks for the speed element a bit later in Hightower/Watkins.   Ironically, they'd have likely been better off with Darnell Mooney... but whatever.   Point is, the fact that they are continually pointing to the pandemic like that's an excuse is laughable.  They knew as they were making these decisions that the offseason was going to be greatly truncated.  So, they went into this eyes wide open, and it backfired in their face on a variety of fronts.   Blame Howie's short sightedness.  Blame Doug's ineptitude.  But do NOT blame the pandemic.  

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I think there were people who had accepted this was the inevitability because the previous two weeks more and more smoke came out about reagor and the eagles. I believe mosher and caplan the week up until the draft were basically strongly hinting at and telling you it was going to be reagor.

two things: first I thought the Eagles should have traded back from 21 to begin with after they didn’t want to move up for lamb. They had a ton of question marks and holes on the roster. They weren’t just one WR away from being a SB contender in my opinion. They were fools gold in 2019. They needed more young players infused into this roster so that the transition from the end of this era to the next one would go more smoothly. People had a hard time seeing that back in April but that was the case back then as well. They need more picks than anything and the second tier of WR group had a bunch of talent to the point of you traded back could still get a very productive WR. Second This is exactly what I said back in March, you better be right in your evaluations if you are passing up on Jefferson. If you believe he’s only going to be a good slot receiver and just average on the outside then that’s fine but you better not be wrong cause if you were then it’s going to look awful. The eagles evaluated poorly and it’s showed itself this year. i accepted the eagles decision prior to the draft that it was going to be reagor if they stayed at 21. Wasn’t happy or upset cause it was kind of obvious that’s whom They were going to go after

if we are being honest there were more people that were lower on Brandon aiyuk then on Justin jefferson. There were like two people on this board that loved aiyuk. We had more people in love with mims than liked aiyuk. I was completely wrong on aiyuk i thought it would take him way longer to be productive then again i did love the situation he went into with shanahan he maximizes guys talent better than anyone so really shouldn’t be that surprised he got aiyuk playing at that level. 

Yeah, I remember prior to Mims' interview, he was the (near) consensus pick around here.  I wasn't high on him but 3/4 of the Blog was.  He dropped only after he bashed Philly.

5 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

There is nothing about his college stats suggesting he was bad at Alabama.

4 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Yup.  There's a reason he was pulled from the National Championship game and they put in Tua.

Archived