EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Has Alshon signed anywhere? He’s low key someone I could see the Eagles bringing back at some point. Don’t agree with it but it would not shock me. 

Please no

13 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Dumbest thought shared tonight.  And that’s saying something.  I expect a little better from a varsity lettermen.  

No problem Sir EMB tough guy

12 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Not being a "tough guy”.  You obviously don’t get the reference ole dense one 

I believe you've worn out your welcome on here, caulklips

5 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Hurts has so much you love in a player.  He's a leader of men, a proven winner and passionate about the game.  I honestly have no idea what we have in Hurts.  He's another player who's easy to cheer for and you want him to do well. I want him to be the guy so we don't have another year of QB questions followed by another offseason of who are the Eagles going to trade for and so on.  I want those potential 3 1st round picks to be used during the draft, not to acquire a QB.  

I loved Carson Wentz but was anything but a Wentz washer.  I think the Eagles did him dirty but I also think he should have sacked up and handled things better.  He's gone and Hurts is our guy.  Let's hope he proves it was the right choice.

I'm right there with you, especially on the bolded part. I was absolutely gutted when they traded Wentz -- and I still think it was a decision that is likely going to be looked back at in the future as having been absolutely ridiculous -- but dammit, I'm an Eagles fan first and foremost and I am damn well hoping like hell that Hurts proves me wrong. We should all hope he becomes a top tier quarterback. To root otherwise is borderline criminal.

4 hours ago, ManuManu said:

What a moron.  Does that poster realize that Chung has three stints, not as OL coach but assistant OL coach and two the three were with the Eagles? And Roy Istavan is a lesser character (?) and coach?  Roy has stints as offensive coordinator and OL  at about a half dozen colleges including coaching as a graduate assistant with Stout.  

Seems there’s a lot of people on here actually want hurts to fail. That’s crazy , he’s part of the team which we all support and want to succeed. 

I think those people should take some time out and come back when they’re ready to get behind the team rather than slagging players off and focusing on individual weaknesses. 

Another team that's made some nice quiet moves is the Panthers.  Like the Ravens/Steelers/Cowboys/Cardinals/Buccaneers, the Panthers are a team that understands the importance of linebackers.

They added Haasan Reddick and Denzel Perryman (one of my favorite LB over the last 5-10 years) and added Paddy Fisher as an UDFA.  Another example of not having to invest an arm and a leg to improve a position.

Reddick 1 yr $6 million

Perryman 2 yr $6 million

Fisher UDFA

Adding those guys to Shaq Thompson makes that a very solid unit. 

8 hours ago, BigEFly said:

What a moron.  Does that poster realize that Chung has three stints, not as OL coach but assistant OL coach and two the three were with the Eagles? And Roy Istavan is a lesser character (?) and coach?  Roy has stints as offensive coordinator and OL  at about a half dozen colleges including coaching as a graduate assistant with Stout.  

Stoutland is one of the top, if not the top, OL coaches in the NFL.

Why would you question his choice of assistant coaches?

18 hours ago, blindside said:

At that point, why even pull the plug unless you’re worried about the development of your pass catchers. I mean, playing Flacco isn’t a move for the future. If Hurts is that bad by week 12, may as well ride it out and collect your high draft pick

And who knows ? I’d say the last 4-5 games is where he is and where he is heading. At that point he needs to know the pressure is on as far as determining his future in the NFL. Either the light switch comes on or it never will. 6,300 yds of total offense with lack of T/O’s (23 or less) and a lot less false starts

18 hours ago, blindside said:

I feel ya. But at the same time, our offensive design last year was horrible, our O line was in shambles and we had no WRs. It’s hard for anyone to succeed in that situation, especially late in a season as a rookie. That might just be who he is, but he wasn’t exactly set up for success. 

CW says hey

1 hour ago, rrfierce said:

Seems there’s a lot of people on here actually want hurts to fail. That’s crazy , he’s part of the team which we all support and want to succeed. 

I think those people should take some time out and come back when they’re ready to get behind the team rather than slagging players off and focusing on individual weaknesses. 

No one wants Hurts to fail. It’s just that people are so extreme. Saying "Hurts needs to prove he’s a starting QB” or " I don’t think Hurts is a franchise QB” does not mean you want him to fail. Just because someone isn’t a Pom Pom waiver doesn’t mean they’re actively rooting against individuals and the team as a whole. 

But there’s no point in trying to have a convo with you ppl who are so F’ing black and white 

36 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Stoutland is one of the top, if not the top, OL coaches in the NFL.

Why would you question his choice of assistant coaches?

Andy Reid is a 1st ballot HOF coach.  He made Juan Castillo his DC.  Just because someone is at the top of their profession doesn't mean they are immune to making bad decisions once in a while.

Honest NFL twitter page is just virtue signaling with that post IMO.  If he was that pissed off when Chung was being passed over or replaced in previous years then he should have spoken up then.  He's taking advantage of Chung's misfortunes to make himself look like a better person.  Gotta love social media. 

Just now, bpac55 said:

Andy Reid is a 1st ballot HOF coach.  He made Juan Castillo his DC.  Just because someone is at the top of their profession doesn't mean they are immune to making bad decisions once in a while.

Honest NFL twitter page is just virtue signaling with that post IMO.  If he was that pissed off when Chung was being passed over or replaced in previous years then he should have spoken up then.  He's taking advantage of Chung's misfortunes to make himself look like a better person.  Gotta love social media. 

He’s allegedly friends with Chung, so it’s more about that than virtue signaling. Cool buzzword though. 

9 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

No one wants Hurts to fail. It’s just that people are so extreme. Saying "Hurts needs to prove he’s a starting QB” or " I don’t think Hurts is a franchise QB” does not mean you want him to fail. Just because someone isn’t a Pom Pom waiver doesn’t mean they’re actively rooting against individuals and the team as a whole. 

Well said.  I was going to post something similar, but you beat me to it.

There's a fair amount of posters here who easily get triggered if someone else criticizes Hurts or simply expresses their opinion that they don't feel Hurts is capable of being a solid long term starting QB who can help the Eagles compete for SBs.  If you don't think Hurts is the saviour of this franchise then you're labeled a hater and you hope to see him and the Eagles fail this season. 

He wasn't good last season in his small sample size.  Not good enough, anyway.  But, it was a small sample size and maybe he can improve his game.  I'm not counting on that, but I am in 'wait and see' mode.  I'll give him a chance to show me what he can do, though I'm not expecting him to emerge as a 'franchise' QB.  Him playing like a consistent quality starting QB would be a good thing going forward so we don't have to spend our cache of draft capital on another QB.  It's up to him to elevate his game.

1 hour ago, rrfierce said:

There are a few on here who think Hurts will fail; I don't believe anyone wants Hurts to fail -- there's the difference you're missing.  People get attached to their opinions and arguments, which you're interpreting as them wanting it to happen.

Every player on the team is accountable for their performance, and the QB is front and center in any team's discussion because he handles and distributes the ball to the offense.  Surely you don't believe what we saw last season from Hurts entitles him to carte blanche, and he's above criticism?

With Stoutland here, Chung didn’t have the best path to promotion.

There is the chance he wanted to leave...

15 hours ago, bpac55 said:

When it comes to Jalen Hurts I think the most important thing is asking ourselves, what do we need him to be in order for the Eagles to be a SB contending team.

We won the Super Bowl with Nick Foles, who is anything but a franchise quarterback.  Heck, look at Nick's 27 TD- 2 INT season.  You would think quarterback play like that is good enough to win a SB and they lost in the Wildcard Round.  No thanks to special teams.  Point I'm trying to make is if you have a quarterback performing at that level you would think he can get it done.  I also know it takes more than a stat line to be a great quarterback.

Now let's look at 2017.  Carson had 60% completion percentage, 33 TD 7 INT and nearly 3,300 yards in 13 games.  I don't expect Hurts to hit those numbers.  DP and Frank Reich called the perfect offense in 2017.  They took the right shots when it mattered, dialed up 4th down calls at the right time....everything went right.  

In 4 games, as a rookie, with trash play calling and next to nothing to throw to, Hurts had a 52% completion percentage, 6 TD 4 INT and almost 1,100 yards.  

Can Hurts get his completion percentage from 52% up to 60%?    I'm not sure if there's any way to find college to pro % translations but as a JR at Bama he had 73% completion and 69.7% as a senior at Oklahoma.  I think in year 2 we can expect a big jump here from Hurts.  

Hurts has so much you love in a player.  He's a leader of men, a proven winner and passionate about the game.  I honestly have no idea what we have in Hurts.  He's another player who's easy to cheer for and you want him to do well. I want him to be the guy so we don't have another year of QB questions followed by another offseason of who are the Eagles going to trade for and so on.  I want those potential 3 1st round picks to be used during the draft, not to acquire a QB.  

I loved Carson Wentz but was anything but a Wentz washer.  I think the Eagles did him dirty but I also think he should have sacked up and handled things better.  He's gone and Hurts is our guy.  Let's hope he proves it was the right choice.

Cool, I’m ok with giving Hurts 12 more games before we start statistically evaluating just to make things fair, whadya say ? Wentz before the injury in the Rams game was destined to be a top 5 QB especially after TB and ARod were gone, just to be fair

38 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

For the record - I'm in agreement that it was a mistake to promote Juan directly form OL coach to DC - flipping to the other side should have been a gradual process where he spent a couple years as assistant DC or something. BUT - Juan's defense was top 15 across the board and top 10 in many important categories with arguably the worst back seven in the NFL at the time. That was also the lockout year so Juan didn't have an offseason that is especially vital for new coaches.

25 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

There are a few on here who think Hurts will fail; I don't believe anyone wants Hurts to fail -- there's the difference you're missing.  People get attached to their opinions and arguments, which you're interpreting as them wanting it to happen.

Every player on the team is accountable for their performance, and the QB is front and center in any team's discussion because he handles and distributes the ball to the offense.  Surely you don't believe what we saw last season from Hurts entitles him to carte blanche, and he's above criticism?

Of course he’s not above criticism but he’s not really been given enough time to evaluate him fairly. He had 4 games in what was a stinker of a season, backroom squabbles , uninterested players etc. Just seems like a lot of negativity focused to him.

He’s got a good chance to impress people and show us what he can do, if he doesn’t step up then obviously we will have to look at other options. Let’s hope he takes it 

Someone just start a Jalen Hurts Safe Space thread already 

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Some just start a Jalen Hurts Safe Space thread already 

I'll have to find another stat/picture to watch the meltdown happen again.

I fully believe Steven Nelson will be an Eagle in early June. I also think Burton is back when Ertz is cut/traded.

Archived