EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

8 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

I don’t get why people are hating on a rookie QB during a Covid season with no off-season work.

Our best case scenario is Hurts working out and us using those first round picks next year on other positions. 

I mean.. I hated the pick. It was a bad pick at the time and it’s now put us in a position to be forced to give him a year as a starter. It was dumb. And he didn’t exactly instill much confidence with his play. 

But that’s not really his fault. He didn’t draft himself. And was set up for failure. At this point, as you said, our best case is for him to be great. So that’s what I’m rooting for. Seems like some almost want him to fail because they expect him to. This reminds me of the Vick/Foles era. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Khani1 said:

So 3.5 games hahaha.  HUGE SAMPLE SIZE!

Nobody said it was, but given that's all he's played that's all we can go off of. Sample size or not, it's comically poor.

9 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

I don’t get why people are hating on a rookie QB during a Covid season with no off-season work.

Our best case scenario is Hurts working out and us using those first round picks next year on other positions. 

Who hates Jalen Hurts? I'm legitimately asking. I keep seeing people throw this around whenever someone criticizes him. I keep seeing people (not saying you) say that people are actively hoping he fails.

Where has anyone ever said they hope he sucks?

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

Nobody said it was, but given that's all he's played that's all we can go off of. Sample size or not, it's comically poor.

I get that, but I can’t judge a jockey if he’s riding a horse with a broken leg. Our offense had two broken legs last year. 

9 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Who hates Jalen Hurts? I'm legitimately asking. I keep seeing people throw this around whenever someone criticizes him. I keep seeing people (not saying you) say that people are actively hoping he fails.

Where has anyone ever said they hope he sucks?

No one has come out and said it. But, as has been true on these boards since the beginning,  some posters get an idea in their head and want their idea to come to fruition so they can ITYS about it later and look smart. There will always be some. Always has been. 

The reason the term "hate” is used, is because some people are spending way too much energy pointing out negativity and criticisms, and not even really being reasonable and even admitting he didn’t have a good situation. Like, no one was happy with Doug’s offense. We all lamented the Oline injuries and terrible WR corps. But now we want to put Hurts’ stat line in a bubble and ignore all those factors that we all admit exist? That doesn’t seem fair. And unfair criticism can be construed as hate. 

28 minutes ago, downundermike said:

It is the data we currently have.

And the data has a lot of variables...

19 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

And protect him against an injury which would would even further lower his value.

Why would a team want to trade for a crappy QB in the first place though? 

Just now, blindside said:

Yup. The argument doesn’t make sense. 

2 minutes ago, blindside said:

You're mom 😆

10 minutes ago, blindside said:

The one thing going for Hurts’ development is that he’s never really HAD to go through his progressions as a QB. In college, all he was asked to do was look at CeeDee Lamb and throw it to him. So maybe it’s not that he CAN’T go through his progressions, he may just be learning how to. So maybe there’s hope. But getting benched by Saban for another guy who isn’t exactly tearing up the NFL isn’t a good sign either. So idk. I’m cautiously pessimistic 

Same, he was the first true Freshman to start for Alabama in 30 years, so Saban obviously thinks highly of him, and everyone you listen to says great things about Hurts.  Getting benched like he did at that age, to where he is now shows what kind of competitor he is, if our last QB had his attitude, we wouldn’t even be having a Hurts at QB discussion. He’s played a ton of games compared to most QB’s coming out recently, and that experience has to benefit him.  
 I’m not worried about him going through progressions, Smith is gonna get open most of the time and Hurts knows that.   He has to learn to go through his progressions w/o running immediately, but what I think will keep him from being successful in the NFL is his arm talent, strength and accuracy.  

One main difference between his time at Alabama and Oklahoma is his velocity on the ball, Lincoln Riley drilled that in his head to start driving it downfield if he wants to be taken seriously as an NFL prospect at QB. Playing with Lamb, and all the top WR’s at Alabama, he always had guys open, but even then his accuracy was ehh, plus he got them the ball when they were open, not much timing on his passes which is what Siriani wants.  His accuracy will determine whether or not he’s successful at the NFL level and if he can pull a Josh Allen, Hurts has a bright future, if not he’ll  hopefully be a backup in the league for a long time.  The kids is impossible not to root for.  

There are three groups of QBs these days.

The top 3-4 or so, the really elite guys, what we hoped we had in Wentz, didn't have in McNabb.

The next 15 or so, sometimes there's a split, sometimes it's a pretty bunched group. Solid QBs who put up good numbers but aren't going to will mediocre teams to the promised land. You can win with these guys, but not because of these guys.

The rest. Guys who will sabotage a solid team with below par play.

Foles, he's part of "the rest," except when money was on the line, then he was able to play like the next 15 on a talented team with a scheme suited to his strengths and weaknesses.

If Hurts turns out to be in the next 15 or so, i.e. a top 20 QB, Lowie hit paydirt in the second round, you'd be happy to draft one of these guys in the top 10.

Face it, the odds that Lawrence and Wilson are elite are slim, their teams have to hop they're top 20 shaded toward the top ten.

The others, you draft them hoping they're at least in the second ten.

Right now, the only elite young QB is Mahomes, Allen? check back in a couple years (see Wentz), one season doesn't make a trend. Who else?

List by QBR in 2020:  Mahomes (25), Allen (24), Jackson (23), Mayfield (25), Watson (25), Herbert (22), Murray (23),

Jones #20 (23), Trubisky (26), Goff (26), Burrow (24), Tua (22), Minshaw (24), Wentz (28), Lock (24), Darnold (23)

Who said we lack data? Afan can spit out lists of names like nobody's business.

17 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

You're mom 😆

I’m whose mom?!? 😟

29 minutes ago, blindside said:

No one has come out and said it. But, as has been true on these boards since the beginning,  some posters get an idea in their head and want their idea to come to fruition so they can ITYS about it later and look smart. There will always be some. Always has been. 

The reason the term "hate” is used, is because some people are spending way too much energy pointing out negativity and criticisms, and not even really being reasonable and even admitting he didn’t have a good situation. Like, no one was happy with Doug’s offense. We all lamented the Oline injuries and terrible WR corps. But now we want to put Hurts’ stat line in a bubble and ignore all those factors that we all admit exist? That doesn’t seem fair. And unfair criticism can be construed as hate. 

For your point on "hate". I understand that there is the general use of the word for the very reason you stated. I myself have been accused of actually hating him, which is foolish.

27 minutes ago, blindside said:

If Hurts turns out to be a dud that would be a really weak ITYS. He’s a day 2 QB who some teams thought was Day 3. You draft those guys to be hopefully developable into capable backups, with the occasional scratch off lottery ticket like Wilson or Prescott. 

Not sure if anyone posted the details of Kerrigan’s deal. No voidable years and only $2.5M against the cap. 

4D4EB82B-E188-4F64-8612-F35F412EFAC0.jpeg

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Not sure if anyone posted the details of Kerrigan’s deal. No voidable years and only $2.5M against the cap. 

4D4EB82B-E188-4F64-8612-F35F412EFAC0.jpeg

That's a nice change.  Maybe Howie is learning again...

30 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's a nice change.  Maybe Howie is learning again...

Until he gives him an inseason multi year extension 

This is such a weak article and the excuses for not doing on field work keep coming.  According to the team, there are other ways for them to compete besides the football field.  There's pop-a-shot basketball and ping pong!  Give me a break with this stuff.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/no-team-drills-for-eagles-this-spring-sounds-like-the-right-idea

5 hours ago, Swoop said:

You wouldn't think so, no. We already saw this last season as he went from a solid first start to dog**** against Washington. As we saw, the adjustments came sooner and sooner when teams faced us.

I think most QBs would have looked like dog**** against WTF’s DL with Pryor a LT, Toth at RT and most of the skill players inactive.  Not sure Aaron Rodgers would have looked a lot better.

Everything about that play is incredible, including Ertz asking for Doug to run it. 

Yall throw around the word hate far too freely. 

People being skeptical doesnt mean they hate Hurts. I dont know the kid. He seems to have limited talent and a great work ethic. The odds of success dont seem high.

and that doesnt even touch how dumb Lurie is for making that pick in the first place

2 hours ago, Khani1 said:

You're mom 😆

You are mom????

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Everything about that play is incredible, including Ertz asking for Doug to run it. 

We were at the blackjack table, splitting 5s and still getting to 21.

Archived