Ertz trade talk

DBW

3 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Zach Ertz contract is $12mil this year. Eagles would probably have to eat some of that. And why would they get? A starting corner? A linebacker? 2022 draft pick? Maybe the Eagles just play it out until summer or mid season.

If they simply cut him they save almost $5 million in cap space but have to eat another $7.7 million in dead money.  

1 hour ago, toolg said:

If the best offer for Ertz is a 5th round pick... They can keep Ertz, let him walk in Free Agency after next season, and they'll likely get a 4th or 5th comp pick in 2023 anyway.

I'm for waiting it out and see what transpires. 

So no one wants him at his current contract for a 5th, so you think he will sign a big enough contract a year later to get us a 4th or we don't sign any free agents of our own? That sounds like an awfully big gamble to take on a guy coming off his worst season and will have to pay him 12 mil to keep for this year instead of saving 4 mil just because we might get a 4th if everything falls perfectly. 

I would rather we just keep him.  I prefer to surround Hurts with as much talent as possible so the coaching staff and front office can ascertain whether or not he is the real deal.

I think this is Dallas Goedert’s contract year as well. Are we gonna be able to extend him? At a reasonable price? I’d put that deal in place before treating/trading Ertz.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:03 PM, Penn7980 said:

Still no move on Ertz.  His high contract number may dilute the interests of other teams.  If it ends as a outright cut, it would be bad.

1 hour ago, toolg said:

If the best offer for Ertz is a 5th round pick... They can keep Ertz, let him walk in Free Agency after next season, and they'll likely get a 4th or 5th comp pick in 2023 anyway.

9 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I would rather we just keep him.  I prefer to surround Hurts with as much talent as possible so the coaching staff and front office can ascertain whether or not he is the real deal.

Simple with Ertz. Hold out for a 3rd. He's really good and we are paying for him being hurt/ineffective last year.

a TE may get injured in training camp. Or if Ertz plays well he could be a serious trade target near the deadline.

Yes the cap saving would be nice, but I'm not just giving him away for a 5th or less when he could fetch more or at the very least help Hurts out this year.

Comp pick - maybe, but we will probably be buyers anyway in 2022 once we are free from Wentz's contract.

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

Simple with Ertz. Hold out for a 3rd. He's really good and we are paying for him being hurt/ineffective last year.

They aren't going to get a third... Or at least I'd be really really surprised if they did. He's just not worth that. 

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They aren't going to get a third... Or at least I'd be really really surprised if they did. He's just not worth that. 

I disagree! But he needs to show he's healthy. He's only 30 and was a top 5 TE in the league before last year. 

Look at some of the other players who have gone for 3rds or better over the past few years. Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders, Mohammed Sanu etc. 

We need to get him healthy and productive, but if we do, he is a prime trade target for a competing team.

I disagree! But he needs to show he's healthy. He's only 30 and was a top 5 TE in the league before last year. 

Look at some of the other players who have gone for 3rds or better over the past few years. Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders, Mohammed Sanu etc. 

We need to get him healthy and productive, but if we do, he is a prime trade target for a competing team.

The problem bud is that contract. He's going to get paid a good amount this year but then he's going to need a new deal. That's why teams haven't gone for him I think. A third round pick isn't huge value for a player of that calibre but it is when you consider he needs a new deal. 

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The problem bud is that contract. He's going to get paid a good amount this year but then he's going to need a new deal. That's why teams haven't gone for him I think. A third round pick isn't huge value for a player of that calibre but it is when you consider he needs a new deal. 

I'll give you two examples - Golden Tate and Emmanuel Sanders. Both traded for 3rd round picks or more at the deadline. Both were in contract years and neither were re-signed.

If Ertz is playing well and is healthy we will get a 3rd for him at the deadline - he could really help a contender.

I'll give you two examples - Golden Tate and Emmanuel Sanders. Both traded for 3rd round picks or more at the deadline. Both were in contract years and neither were re-signed.

If Ertz is playing well and is healthy we will get a 3rd for him at the deadline - he could really help a contender.

I don't think they can keep him that long bud. Teams know we are up against the cap. We need to add a CB and we apparently don't have enough cap right now to sign all of our draft picks. 

• 1 month later...

Ertz to Bills. Deal may be close.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/zach-ertz-trade-rumors-eagles-183428966.html

As the Eagles sit some 28 days away from the start of the 2021 training camp, Zach Ertz could be on his way to Northern New York.

The Eagles record-setting tight end has been linked to Buffalo all offseason and legendary play-by-play analyst, Merrill Reese believes a deal is set to happen according to Ryan Talbot of New York Upstate.

"The word today is that they are very close to a deal and I don’t have any inside information to substantiate this, but the word is that they’re close to a deal with Buffalo for Zach Ertz,” Reese told Sileo. "I believe you have as much chance of being on this roster as Zach Ertz in a few weeks.”

Reese made the remarks during an appearance on the National Football Show with Dan Sileo.

On 5/3/2021 at 1:35 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

The trade deadline is in November.  What happens to him between now and then?  He  would have to be on the roster at his full salary.  Teams want guys in the program as soon as they can get them so look for Ertz to be moved or released in the next couple of weeks before camp starts. 

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

As the Eagles sit some 28 days away from the start of the 2021 training camp, Zach Ertz could be on his way to Northern New York.

The Eagles record-setting tight end has been linked to Buffalo all offseason and legendary play-by-play analyst, Merrill Reese believes a deal is set to happen according to Ryan Talbot of New York Upstate.

"The word today is that they are very close to a deal and I don’t have any inside information to substantiate this, but the word is that they’re close to a deal with Buffalo for Zach Ertz,” Reese told Sileo. "I believe you have as much chance of being on this roster as Zach Ertz in a few weeks.”

Reese made the remarks during an appearance on the National Football Show with Dan Sileo.

Apparently those comments were from a week ago when he was commenting on something he read.

"It was at least a week or two ago," Reese said. "I don't even remember. It might have been a week ago, two weeks ago, I was referring to a report that I read someplace weeks before that. I said I didn't have any inside information.

"And then I kiddingly said to him that "you and Zach Ertz have the same chance of being on the Eagles this year.' "

Reese was clear on the show that he was not privy to any new information.

"The word today is that they are very close to a deal and I don’t have any inside information to substantiate this, but the word is that they’re close to a deal with Buffalo for Zach Ertz,” Reese told Sileo.

So they are as close today as they were a week ago.

2 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Merrill Reese unfortunately knows nothing about any roster moves the Eagles may or may not be making.  

On 5/3/2021 at 11:33 AM, toolg said:

Likely they wouldn't get a comp pick.  Any mid level FA the Eagles sign would cancel a comp pick for him.  If he isn't traded by the trade deadline this season they won't get anything in return.  

On 5/3/2021 at 12:52 PM, CouchKing said:

I think this is Dallas Goedert’s contract year as well. Are we gonna be able to extend him? At a reasonable price? I’d put that deal in place before treating/trading Ertz.

Don't think we have the cap space to make that happen

15 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

The trade deadline is in November.  What happens to him between now and then?  He  would have to be on the roster at his full salary.  Teams want guys in the program as soon as they can get them so look for Ertz to be moved or released in the next couple of weeks before camp starts. 

I hope so, but I don't want them to just give him away. Ertz was one of the top 5 TEs in the league from 2017-2019 and is only 30. If we need the cap space now, then take what we can, but I get not wanting to just let him go when his value is at his lowest.

1 hour ago, greend said:

Don't think we have the cap space to make that happen

What?  Of course they do.  Deal won't begin until 2022, can extend bonuses over, say a 4 year deal.  Cap space is not an issue.

2 hours ago, Freshmilk said:

What?  Of course they do.  Deal won't begin until 2022, can extend bonuses over, say a 4 year deal.  Cap space is not an issue.

Good point

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I hope so, but I don't want them to just give him away. Ertz was one of the top 5 TEs in the league from 2017-2019 and is only 30. If we need the cap space now, then take what we can, but I get not wanting to just let him go when his value is at his lowest.

You can't trade people based on what they were two years ago, last year he was barely a top 3 Tight End for the Eagles, he's got 8 years of tread off the tyres.  At the moment is he even going to report for training camp?  The entire country knows he wants to leave and they know we can't really afford to keep him, we're under the cap but we don't have enough to cover IR or other similar roster issues, those aren't conditions that are going to bring you top trade value.

22 hours ago, paco said:

Apparently those comments were from a week ago when he was commenting on something he read.

So they are as close today as they were a week ago.

He read it on the EMB. We're influencers now.

On 7/2/2021 at 12:11 PM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

You can't trade people based on what they were two years ago, last year he was barely a top 3 Tight End for the Eagles, he's got 8 years of tread off the tyres.  At the moment is he even going to report for training camp?  The entire country knows he wants to leave and they know we can't really afford to keep him, we're under the cap but we don't have enough to cover IR or other similar roster issues, those aren't conditions that are going to bring you top trade value.

Somebody ought to be willing to trade a low round conditional pick that is better than releasing him. If it’s conditional and he returns to form, I don’t care if it’s a 6th rounder if it can become a 3rd rounder if he catches 60 passes or makes the pro bowl. 

On 3/7/2021 at 7:38 PM, Mike030270 said:

I'm really surprised they aren't just waiting for the inevitable release

If multiple teams are inquiring, why would the release be inevitable?

1 hour ago, eggs said:

Somebody ought to be willing to trade a low round conditional pick that is better than releasing him. If it’s conditional and he returns to form, I don’t care if it’s a 6th rounder if it can become a 3rd rounder if he catches 60 passes or makes the pro bowl. 

Not gonna happen on a one year rental.

2 hours ago, Procus said:

If multiple teams are inquiring, why would the release be inevitable?

Not gonna happen on a one year rental.

Who says multiple teams are inquiring?

Archived