Ertz trade talk

DBW

At this point unless he is used as part of a trade up in the draft then move him for a lick in next year's draft.  All the talk of this draft bring crap after round 3 and next year's draft being loaded, no reason to dump Ertz for a 5th or 6th this draft instead of one in next year's.

17 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

At this point unless he is used as part of a trade up in the draft then move him for a lick in next year's draft.  All the talk of this draft bring crap after round 3 and next year's draft being loaded, no reason to dump Ertz for a 5th or 6th this draft instead of one in next year's.

I agree with this. Also, there are more and more comp picks that make 5th rounders and later almost irrelevant so getting an end of the 4th round comp pick in 2023 if he plays out his contract and signs a three year deal with someone else isn’t worth much. The best thing to do is move him now for even a 5th round pick (which is almost the same as an end of the 4th round comp pick), get his $12 mm salary off the books, and make that trade conditional so we get a 4th if he catchest like 30-40 passes and a 3rd if he catches 50 or more or makes the pro bowl. We will then be totally loaded in 2022 to rebuild the team with three first rounders and an extra 3rd-4th in a deep draft. 

Think about it - he’s costing us $12 mm against the cap this year and stupid howie didn’t trade him a year ago at peak value. Stupid, stupid, stupid. 

10 hours ago, eggs said:

I agree with this. Also, there are more and more comp picks that make 5th rounders and later almost irrelevant so getting an end of the 4th round comp pick in 2023 if he plays out his contract and signs a three year deal with someone else isn’t worth much. The best thing to do is move him now for even a 5th round pick (which is almost the same as an end of the 4th round comp pick), get his $12 mm salary off the books, and make that trade conditional so we get a 4th if he catchest like 30-40 passes and a 3rd if he catches 50 or more or makes the pro bowl. We will then be totally loaded in 2022 to rebuild the team with three first rounders and an extra 3rd-4th in a deep draft. 

Think about it - he’s costing us $12 mm against the cap this year and stupid howie didn’t trade him a year ago at peak value. Stupid, stupid, stupid. 

But if they trade him, it only clears 4.75m of cap.  He’s has a 7.77m dead cap hit.  They are not gaining 12m by moving him.    You can blame Howie for restructuring his deal 3 times in 4 years.  There’s no need or incentive to trade him because they’re cap compliant and the little bit they’d save doesn’t do much for them this year anyway.  Might as well let him play it out and walk away next year when there’s only like a 1.2m cap hit because of the forwarding of that obligation due to restructuring.  The stupid thing is if they extend him (doubt that it’ll happen), his last2 years are voided but the cap hit gets pushed forward to 2022 so they’d be penalized for actually resigning him.  

**im not a cap wiz, those are rough numbers and the explanation can be found here

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/zach-ertz-contract-details-salary-bonuses/

On 4/28/2021 at 2:37 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's where I am at. I would take a 3rd for him. I would take a 4th and another pick or a depth player but nothing lower than that. At this point it seems he has more value to the Eagles by being on the roster. He's in a contract year too so the hope would be he comes back and wants to play well.

He's going to go.  I'm not going to be disappointed when it's a 6th round pick or he's just thrown into another trade.  It's a sad ending for a very good Eagle, but get what you can and move on.

23 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

He's going to go.  I'm not going to be disappointed when it's a 6th round pick or he's just thrown into another trade.  It's a sad ending for a very good Eagle, but get what you can and move on.

I mean look you're probably going to be right there. 

Hypothetically, would you trad ertz and the 12th for a 1st rounder next year?   Maybe we can get 4 of the top 6 picks next year 😂 

22 hours ago, DBW said:

Hypothetically, would you trad ertz and the 12th for a 1st rounder next year?   Maybe we can get 4 of the top 6 picks next year 😂 

Miami won’t be anywhere near top 6. IMO they are a playoff team. 

52 minutes ago, DBW said:

Safe to say nobody wants ertz

Everyone has access to game tape now and could see he didn’t give a damn last season.  The Eagles could cut Ertz and it would take a few days for anyone to sign him.

12 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Everyone has access to game tape now and could see he didn’t give a damn last season.  The Eagles could cut Ertz and it would take a few days for anyone to sign him.

It's a contract year. Regardless of how he feels about Howie he has incentive to go all out. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

That just means they don't want to trade. They would be better not to.

2 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

That just means they don't want to trade. They would be better not to.

Why would they be better not to? Keep him for one more meaningless season, where they will be bad regardless, instead of trading him for whatever value you can get to help in 2022 and beyond?

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

Why would they be better not to? Keep him for one more meaningless season, where they will be bad regardless, instead of trading him for whatever value you can get to help in 2022 and beyond?

Doesn't look like there are teams willing to make a trade or he would be traded.  I am hopeful they can win more than 4 games.

16 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Doesn't look like there are teams willing to make a trade or he would be traded.  I am hopeful they can win more than 4 games.

From the report we just read, teams are interested but the Eagles asking price is too high. What I’m saying is you take whatever you can get, even if it’s a 6th next year. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

From the report we just read, teams are interested but the Eagles asking price is too high. What I’m saying is you take whatever you can get, even if it’s a 6th next year. 

But they might get a higher comp pick if they keep him then lose him in free agency.

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

I'm curious what Howie is asking for

11 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I'm curious what Howie is asking for

Anyone with cadaver ligaments.  

1 minute ago, DBW said:

Anyone with cadaver ligaments.  

He doesn't want to pay Ertz a big contract(rightly so) but wants a lot in a trade for him lol

If anyone offered a 5, we should have taken it. This draft or next.  If only a 6, we should keep him for now.  5 makes your roster.  6 is often a practice squad caliber player.  

Still no move on Ertz.  His high contract number may dilute the interests of other teams.  If it ends as a outright cut, it would be bad.

Zach Ertz contract is $12mil this year. Eagles would probably have to eat some of that. And why would they get? A starting corner? A linebacker? 2022 draft pick? Maybe the Eagles just play it out until summer or mid season.

If the best offer for Ertz is a 5th round pick... They can keep Ertz, let him walk in Free Agency after next season, and they'll likely get a 4th or 5th comp pick in 2023 anyway.

I'm for waiting it out and see what transpires. 

Archived