**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Bassey is another good upside pick. Sixers last two drafts have been pretty nice in terms of value picks

Wait to see if they get traded or not.

Morey might absolutely suck at trades, living on reputation of the Harden trade from like 15 years ago.

But he certainly pitched my tent with his drafting tonight.

Seems the door is left wide open to trade for a guard. Or do some work in free agency there. Particularly a SG/SF

And you can include Springer, or he makes it easier to include Maxey in the deal.

But there will be no need to be shopping for bigs. 

dont know... broadcast said Petrusev wants to come over right away. Hoffman says hes expected to be a stash.

So do the owners give Daryl 2 million to buy the pick, and then not pay the money for his buyout? :lol:

Well, hopefully some team is very happy with its draft haul, and is ready to trade some vets for Simmons. 

And, hopefully Petrusev can play in summer league. And hopefully some reporter finds out if he has an opt out or buyout. He signed with mega bemax but kept his name in the draft. You know playing in the NBA was his plan. Hopefully he didnt sign a bad contract that locks him up like Dario. And hopefully we dont screw this up like we did with Micic

From the athletic 

28. Philadelphia 76ers

Jaden Springer | 6-4 guard | 18 years old, freshman | Tennessee

Vecenie’s Ranking: 20

Springer is talented but has a difficult game to project to the next level. He’s going to really have to add some different craft and counters, as well as change the way he plays solely off of two feet. If he figures out the jumper, he’s a terrific 3-and-D two-guard who can pinch hit at the one sometimes, take on tough perimeter defensive assignments with how good he is on the ball and hopefully provide value on offense. The road really isn’t that far, even if the upside is something more in the range of an effective role player as opposed to a star.

Hollinger’s team fit: Some of this will inevitably depend on how the Sixers work out a Ben Simmons trade, but I had Springer rated in my top 20 and think Philadelphia got good value here. He profiles as more of a combo guard and his role could collide with that of Shake Milton, but his defense may be good enough to get him some minutes right away. While I’ve also argued for Butler or McBride in previous picks, Springer is younger and has more long-term upside. I like his chance to make an impact here in future seasons.

Hollinger would have picked… Springer

Filip Petrusev | 7-0 center | 21 years old | Mega
Vecenie’s Ranking: 58

Petrusev has been about as productive as a center can be over the last two years. He was an All-American at Gonzaga, then went overseas and won MVP in an incredibly competitive league. He has great hands and great touch. But I can’t quite get there with him largely due to concerns over what his fit is in the NBA. He does not have any chance to get stops on defense in the NBA, and that’s while playing the most important defensive position. The stretch shooting is nice, and it does give him a differentiator, but I’m not sure it’s enough of one to make up for the defensive concerns.

Hollinger’s team fit: Good stash pick! Petrusev is a big man who played at Gonzaga two years ago but wasn’t draft eligible til this year. He can score in the paint and has developed a 3-point shot in his time overseas, but the defensive concerns with him are legit. Philly will likely keep him overseas for a while longer and see if he can improve enough on that end to come over as a backup five.

53. Philadelphia 76ers

Charles Bassey | 6-10 center | 20 years old, junior | Western Kentucky
Vecenie’s Ranking: 59

I’m still skeptical that he’ll be anything more than a backup center, but he has a pretty reasonable chance to get there with some simple improvements within his game. He has to be willing to keep things as simple as possible, with none of the crazy stuff off the bounce that leads to turnovers. He needs to get better positionally in drop coverage — a process that has already begun. He also has to be more willing to just go up and play through physical play, something else he’s improved on but needs to get even better. He’s such an easy leaper and good rim runner with strong hands that it’s easy to understand an offensive role here. And he’s instinctually so good around the basket as a rim protector that he might be able to carve out a role there, too.

Hollinger’s team fit: The Sixers paid $2 million to buy this pick from New Orleans. They should speak to the manager and demand a refund. I have a hard time getting excited about Bassey, but he can shoot it a little and is a decent rebounder, so if he doesn’t get eviscerated on defense he might have a chance. If I was going to go big here, however, I think Jericho Sims had a much more plausible pathway to rotation-caliber minutes.

Hollinger would have picked… Sims

what a dud of a draft.  a zhaire smith clone with no ability to create....and 2 stiffs. add the news of beal saying he wants to stay in washington & the nonstop lakers talk because of the westbrook trade...and it was a real crapfest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

what a dud of a draft.  a zhaire smith clone with no ability to create....and 2 stiffs. add the news of beal saying he wants to stay in washington & the nonstop lakers talk because of the westbrook trade...and it was a real crapfest. 

Huh???

6 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

From the athletic 

28. Philadelphia 76ers

Jaden Springer | 6-4 guard | 18 years old, freshman | Tennessee

Vecenie’s Ranking: 20

Springer is talented but has a difficult game to project to the next level. He’s going to really have to add some different craft and counters, as well as change the way he plays solely off of two feet. If he figures out the jumper, he’s a terrific 3-and-D two-guard who can pinch hit at the one sometimes, take on tough perimeter defensive assignments with how good he is on the ball and hopefully provide value on offense. The road really isn’t that far, even if the upside is something more in the range of an effective role player as opposed to a star.

Hollinger’s team fit: Some of this will inevitably depend on how the Sixers work out a Ben Simmons trade, but I had Springer rated in my top 20 and think Philadelphia got good value here. He profiles as more of a combo guard and his role could collide with that of Shake Milton, but his defense may be good enough to get him some minutes right away. While I’ve also argued for Butler or McBride in previous picks, Springer is younger and has more long-term upside. I like his chance to make an impact here in future seasons.

Hollinger would have picked… Springer

Filip Petrusev | 7-0 center | 21 years old | Mega
Vecenie’s Ranking: 58

Petrusev has been about as productive as a center can be over the last two years. He was an All-American at Gonzaga, then went overseas and won MVP in an incredibly competitive league. He has great hands and great touch. But I can’t quite get there with him largely due to concerns over what his fit is in the NBA. He does not have any chance to get stops on defense in the NBA, and that’s while playing the most important defensive position. The stretch shooting is nice, and it does give him a differentiator, but I’m not sure it’s enough of one to make up for the defensive concerns.

Hollinger’s team fit: Good stash pick! Petrusev is a big man who played at Gonzaga two years ago but wasn’t draft eligible til this year. He can score in the paint and has developed a 3-point shot in his time overseas, but the defensive concerns with him are legit. Philly will likely keep him overseas for a while longer and see if he can improve enough on that end to come over as a backup five.

53. Philadelphia 76ers

Charles Bassey | 6-10 center | 20 years old, junior | Western Kentucky
Vecenie’s Ranking: 59

I’m still skeptical that he’ll be anything more than a backup center, but he has a pretty reasonable chance to get there with some simple improvements within his game. He has to be willing to keep things as simple as possible, with none of the crazy stuff off the bounce that leads to turnovers. He needs to get better positionally in drop coverage — a process that has already begun. He also has to be more willing to just go up and play through physical play, something else he’s improved on but needs to get even better. He’s such an easy leaper and good rim runner with strong hands that it’s easy to understand an offensive role here. And he’s instinctually so good around the basket as a rim protector that he might be able to carve out a role there, too.

Hollinger’s team fit: The Sixers paid $2 million to buy this pick from New Orleans. They should speak to the manager and demand a refund. I have a hard time getting excited about Bassey, but he can shoot it a little and is a decent rebounder, so if he doesn’t get eviscerated on defense he might have a chance. If I was going to go big here, however, I think Jericho Sims had a much more plausible pathway to rotation-caliber minutes.

Hollinger would have picked… Sims

I'm not sure how these guys know petrusev is staying over. 

We need a stretch big in the worst way,  and this guy is ready right now to come be a scorer off the bench in the NBA. No,  he can't play defense.  But his offense is so good.  He's the anti ben-simmons.

Didn't we buy the petrusev pick? Hollinger says we bought the Bassey pick. 

40 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

You want to hear the saddest part of Springer?  Kid had a chance to be great and he could be a secondary creator just needs a bit of work on his off dribble jumpshot, but he's now training with Keith Williams...same guy who wrecked Fultz' shot.  Dude ruining another 18 year olds career before it starts.

We love the 3 and D these days. Springer attempted 1.8 3 point shots last year and now he is has that label. He is a defender that has a lot of work to do on the offensive end. 

yeah...i was mostly joking about the picks. when you're picking at 28, 50, & 53 you're pretty much drafting for your g-league team. springer might be fine but he's 18 & not helping the sixers for a few years. and guys drafted in the 50's are very unlikely to contribute. if you're lucky, they eventually develop into backups. 

this draft was always going to be meh for the sixers unless they pulled off a major trade. 

3 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

yeah...i was mostly joking about the picks. when you're picking at 28, 50, & 53 you're pretty much drafting for your g-league team. springer might be fine but he's 18 & not helping the sixers for a few years. and guys drafted in the 50's are very unlikely to contribute. if you're lucky, they eventually develop into backups. 

this draft was always going to be meh for the sixers unless they pulled off a major trade. 

Then why did it seem that the Nets were able to improve their team and they already have a super team?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

Then why did it seem that the Nets were able to improve their team and they already have a super team?

they traded shamet for jevon carter...drafted 2 guys in late 20's & three 2nd rounders...not sure how much that improves them. 

11 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

they traded shamet for jevon carter...drafted 2 guys in late 20's & three 2nd rounders...not sure how much that improves them. 

Cam Thomas will play for them and Sharpe isn't a bad 3rd Center for the Nets. 

They definitely have where Sixers fell further behind 

I went in to the night hoping for the big Ben trade, but feeling sure that at least we would see pick 28 traded for a vet.

While its disappointed not to have added any new starters, they ended up with a really nice draft.

I dont know if Bassey will ever crack the rotation in the NBA. And I can easily see a free agent guard or 2 being brought in meaning we wouldnt see Springer this year, or maybe for a few years even.

I do think Petrusev will be easily in the rotation, as long as his contract isnt precluding him from coming over immediately. He might be in and out of the doghouse like Thybulle was as a rookie, and Maxey for some of the stuff he cant do (on defense), but his offense will make it impossible to keep him off the court in games. 

Who was the reporter a day or 2 before the draft who said the 6ers were receiving strong offers for pick 28? Whoever that guy is, he can be ignored moving forward.

There is no possible way they received strong offers, and decided to draft Springer instead. I dont even dislike the pick. But probably about 90% of NBA players probably could have been more helpful in the short term. That tells me the offers were s*it.

11 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I went in to the night hoping for the big Ben trade, but feeling sure that at least we would see pick 28 traded for a vet.

While its disappointed not to have added any new starters, they ended up with a really nice draft.

I dont know if Bassey will ever crack the rotation in the NBA. And I can easily see a free agent guard or 2 being brought in meaning we wouldnt see Springer this year, or maybe for a few years even.

I do think Petrusev will be easily in the rotation, as long as his contract isnt precluding him from coming over immediately. He might be in and out of the doghouse like Thybulle was as a rookie, and Maxey for some of the stuff he cant do (on defense), but his offense will make it impossible to keep him off the court in games. 

After watching a video on Bassey he reminds me of a Capela or Richaun Holmes type.  Good PnR big who might hit a 3 here and there.  Seems best as a rim runner though.  Defensively seems solid and a flashy shot blocker.  He could possibly be a energy big off the bench in the future.  Dude is too mechanical on offense to do much but catch lobs and hit the occasional wide open 3.

Petrusev is the kind of big you want to pair with Simmons.  One who is more than happy to camp the three point line and defenders would have to guard him out there.  Seems pretty polished offensively but probably lacks the lateral quickness to stop NBA athletes on defense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rambo said:

After watching a video on Bassey he reminds me of a Capela or Richaun Holmes type.  Good PnR big who might hit a 3 here and there.  Seems best as a rim runner though.  Defensively seems solid and a flashy shot blocker.  He could possibly be a energy big off the bench in the future.  Dude is too mechanical on offense to do much but catch lobs and hit the occasional wide open 3.

Petrusev is the kind of big you want to pair with Simmons.  One who is more than happy to camp the three point line and defenders would have to guard him out there.  Seems pretty polished offensively but probably lacks the lateral quickness to stop NBA athletes on defense.

I think Bassey can be hopefully like a Pelle who may develop a 3 point shot. He shot about 30% last year. Its not great, but you dont mind him hoisting 1 a game to keep people honest on defense. And you hope that 3% can increase a bit over the years. 

He is an easy jumper, and he has a 7'3'' wingspan already with an NBA body. And should continue to be an excellent shot blocker. I think he averaged over 3 last year. I am excited for the project. But I think we will only be seeing him in the Summer League and G League for the first year or 2. 

He also played at Western Michigan so he has a big leap to make physically, and Im sure a lot to learn on the mental aspects of the game as well. So Im trying not to be too hyped. 

Petrusev looks like a bigger Bertans with an incredible post game. Slight concern that he really only developed his 3 point shot last year in the Adriatic league. He did not shoot it well at all at Gonzaga, and suddenly it jumped to over 46%. But you can see in the first part of this video, the stroke looks fine, and a percentage that high, its not ALL just a fluke. He may never see 46% again but its still going to be a good rate.

I think the jury is still out on Springer and we are going to have to see him for ourselves before we know what to make of him.

Highlight video shows a guy who struggled to create a lot of space for himself off the dribble. But was still able to score. Thats Shake Milton. 

However, supposedly he played on a bum ankle which could explain his lack of explosion you see on video. Supposedly he looked better in workouts, and he did have a 41'' vert so youd think he can do more than he showed. If he shows improved quickness in the summer league, we might have a guy who can break in to the rotation due to our lack of a backup PG. However, I do expect to see them address that through free agency (at minimum McConnell, or Caruso), or blockbuster trade which should have him out of the rotation this season, unless an injury or 2 or 3. 

Aside from no trades, my ONE big disappointment when it comes to the players we picked is that we passed on Sharife Cooper. Im going to watch and compare the career of him vs Springer for a while. Hopefully Daryl got it right.