EMB Blog: Once AGAIN. Politics to CVON!!!!!

4for4EaglesNest

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Its a shoe in the product will suffer. Depends just how much.

And while the NFLPA are looking at testing in great detail, they aren't focused on the end product enough.  TV contracts are up, and politics being prevalent alongside a potentially slow start could doom them.

• Replies 27.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

TV/techy folks...

Just bought a new TV for the first time in 12 years, what’s the best "mode” for watching sports? There’s a sports mode, but the colors look too bright IMO.

I don’t care enough to get into the weeds on changing levels but was more curious about setting you guys use. 

I forget what I use, but I know it's NOT the sports mode. Agreed about it looking too bright.

TV/techy folks...

Just bought a new TV for the first time in 12 years, what’s the best "mode” for watching sports? There’s a sports mode, but the colors look too bright IMO.

I don’t care enough to get into the weeds on changing levels but was more curious about setting you guys use. 

That’s all up to you. Screens have a different brightness depending on brand/model, you could have specific lighting in your room, you could have preferences for color temps, etc. I’m sure you’d be able to google the model and get some configurations from others with the same question but YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). 

1 minute ago, WentzFan11 said:

That’s all up to you. Screens have a different brightness depending on brand/model, you could have specific lighting in your room, you could preferences for color temps, etc. I’m sure you’d be able to google the model and get some configurations from others with the same question but YMMV. 

I put on an Eagles game to play around with the settings.

Brightness levels are easy enough to tweak in the sports mode. I bumped it down from 50 to 40 and that helped. 

The biggest issue, I think, is the halo effect around white jerseys. I’ve messed with a few things various settings (I forget which ones). It helped some but not enough. I wonder if some of it had to do with the game I was watching (NFC title game vs Minnesota). When I turned it off, my TV was on NFL Network. Bucs-Cards were on and I didn’t notice much of a halo effect. 🤷‍♂️

Guest justrelax
3 hours ago, devpool said:

This is why it was so frustrating last year when they refused to do designed rollouts, even when there were protection issues

I'm not crazy about designed rollouts. They cut the field in half. I don't mind waggles so much.

1 hour ago, Penn7980 said:

One idea for this Covid season: forget PS, making the WHOLE roster eligible to play every game.  Players who are tested positive,stay quarantine and won't be available for games.  Teams can't predict or control the numbers of those players, even they try to keep everyone healthy.  Having the expanded roster will ensure there will be enough players to field the games.  The team's salary may be higher for more players on the roster (assuming playing players get more than the PS ones), but the bottom few would be small compared to the top.

Yeah, which is good, but doesn't change that they can only carry so many at each position. Last year without Covid they almost put the backup 40-year-old QB in as a WR. Maybe one wasn't dressed, but still. With how this spreads if one WR gets it the others could too. They will be fine in a few days, but it could still leave a team out to dry before a game. Maybe the answer is making all PS members protected. They may be able to do that without changingthe CBA.

Guest justrelax

TV/techy folks...

I have a friend who's a TV  producer for sporting events. He's the guy in the truck doing the replays and assembling clips. Does Olympics and other sports besides football. I'll ask him what he thinks looks best,,,next I see him.

I'm surprised no one has pointed out the Eagles typical preseason approach with respect to COVID.

This time last year, the debate was if Doug's bubble approach to camp and preseason was the right one.  The Eagles don't hit, barely have live intrasquads, and didn't even pretend to dress&play key backups, let alone starters, for most of the 4 preseason games.  

It's been that way for 2-3 years with Doug.  Why does it matter?  Well, aside from losing OTAs and some time...the Eagles already sit out the preseason.  Other teams do rely on it.  For better or worse, Doug completely skips it in a normal year.  

At least the Eagles may deviate less from their typical ramp up to the season than others.

17 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I'm surprised no one has pointed out the Eagles typical preseason approach with respect to COVID.

This time last year, the debate was if Doug's bubble approach to camp and preseason was the right one.  The Eagles don't hit, barely have live intrasquads, and didn't even pretend to dress&play key backups, let alone starters, for most of the 4 preseason games.  

It's been that way for 2-3 years with Doug.  Why does it matter?  Well, aside from losing OTAs and some time...the Eagles already sit out the preseason.  Other teams do rely on it.  For better or worse, Doug completely skips it in a normal year.  

At least the Eagles may deviate less from their typical ramp up to the season than others.

Only team in the NFCE to come back with majority of the same coaching staff. That's gotta be a nice plus as well. 

2 hours ago, greend said:

not sure where you lift that has a 10lb bar most of the time they are 45. That said I think the point is he's lifting his legs off of the ground at the same time which makes that lift all upper body and I'm sure (I hope) he's doing a lot of reps

I haven’t lifted free weights in decades.  I bought a machine for the basement almost thirty years ago.  Don’t tell Dutch but an orthopedic doctor told me not to lift free weights after my forties. Frankly the bar looks like the bar I got rid of twenty years ago. Pretty sure it was ten or maybe twenty pounds.  

Render had to realize his chance of making the roster was Nil. 

2 hours ago, schuy7 said:

I don't think it's a big deal. Teams get a pretty good idea of what a player is in camp.

Agreed.  We dont need preseason anyway.  Hopefully they give all the players equal time and make them prove themselves.  We all want to see if JJAW has improved and hopefully Doug and co. do too.  Dont just give him a roster spot cuz he's a 2nd round pick.  Make him earn a spot.

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

F that. 

Why?  What's the big deal?

:offtopic:

Hallelujah, it’s raining. My grass is smiling.  Not too hard but steady.   Real good chance I have poblanos, Anaheims and Roma tomatoes so I can do Chile Rellenos this weekend and have enough of those with some jalapeños and bells for some pulled chicken for either soft tacos or enchiladas.  Wife is hinting she wants some sour cream enchiladas.  That’s a dish, like tacos al carbon, that you don’t see in the NE.

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

I'm still for starters playing in preseason

Archived