Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

8 hours ago, stine said:

Except that Bowles was NOT Trying to Disguise anything! He said as much. He left receivers wide open as he KNEW Hurts would not go to his 2nd read. What that tells me is Hurts is light years behind a normal 2nd year QB. You think he can learn this by watching film? Almost everywhere I read is that the only way to learn is with practice. You need to be on the field and see it happen. Maybe they are wrong and he can learn some from film. We will see, but I am not feeling it.

Not what I heard Bowles saying. He said keep shifting and moving because he can’t read. But then you hear our offense and Siri talking immediately after that in the mic’ed up that there was a miscommunication. So Hurts and Siri both knew immediately what happened. Wouldn’t go overboard on the raging defense thing. I remember hearing a presser where Jalen was describing the defense to levels I didn’t quite understand. Talked about how he is trained to play it inside out in that coverage. 

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, stine said:

Garrapolo's stats were not much different than Rogers except for the first GB drive. Difference is SF won again with that terrible QB. Played poorly until it mattered. Then he made the throws needed to win. He is not the best for sure. Not even a top 10 QB, but he just wins games. Something Hurts does not do...

He throws terrible throws at the worst times. Did you read the article I posted? Their fans are so fed up with him because of these reasons.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

He throws terrible throws at the worst times. Did you read the article I posted? Their fans are so fed up with him because of these reasons.

Kittle loves him... the intangibles you just can't underrate.  

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

One game for Lamar, that's when Tennessee couldn't do anything on offense.  At one point yesterday Allen had 7 TDs... and 7 incomplete passes.   It's not close.  Put down the shovel. 

You watched Allen run? He’s always been fantastic at that. Real big physical runner. He’s been hit and miss passing. That’s why they had the up and downs.

12 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Not what I heard Bowles saying. He said keep shifting and moving because he can’t read. 

The exact quote...

" he can't read, keep moving around he gonna give us something... this guy can't read.

This where I see a pattern in your posts to where it's " planet Ham"    where was "keep shifting"    never was said.

But I get where your mind wanders from reality into your own alternate one.   The idea of " shifting" can lead one to think it's complicated movement and thus making the defense seem so complicated, and thus trying to justify Hurts difficulties in the trying to read such a complicated defense.  

Truth is, we have a limited simple offense with Hurts.  The same stuff Chip Kelly brought,except finally with a running QB. One that can't really pass on the NFL level, but excellent at the bubble screens, quick slants, short crosses... stuff that is used in quick one read systems.

It's just easy for the D to just focus on the limited amount of plays. 

6 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You watched Allen run? He’s always been fantastic at that. Real big physical runner. He’s been hit and miss passing. That’s why they had the up and downs.

You watched Allen throw?   That's why people are talking about that game being an all time great. Not 68 yards rushing... but the phenomenal throwing by both QBs.

Que..." Chip was your boy, you loved his fast paced offense "    que me for 1000th time..." it's a good page 1 of a playbook... nice concepts teams use today, but not something that can be done 100% of the time.   I like quick play calls and getting to the line ASAP, not necessarily quick snaps. 

I think Hurts would be good if he could play normal offense and mix in a read option Chip Kelly type play here and there.  Not going to work come playoff time because teams will sell out to stop it.  Because they don't think he can beat then with his arm.    

But Wilson and Kaep were able to run this offense and be successful.... yeah, look at their defenses.   And remember it was when the offense was kinda new to the league.   Not going to work now. 

See here is what you keep missing.   If Hurts is legit a top 15 QB. He will cost 40-50 million in 2 years.    There is no way around it. 

So here is the issue. Is the team good enough to where you then have to pay him that $$ and you can win?     

You never stay status quo....you either move forward or backwards.    Hurts time as a cheap "QB1" is coming to and end.  Either he gets replaced or he gets paid....those are your 2 options.

I don’t think he’s going to command that. Just don’t see it going down like that unless he drastically improves. Can’t pay no Wentz ransom crap again.

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I gotta ask.... do you read another website... and then comment on this one?      I never heard anyone on here talk about Kirk Cousins?     How much oxygen is on planet Ham?

You want the guy that passes but dont care about the intangibles. Cousins seems like the answer to your prayers.

You have to factor in the running.... otherwise he's pretty brutal just with the passing...isn't he?

Your whole thing trying to make all these other guys over the years that could pass....and lump them in with Hurts only because they can also run some.... you need to reach for that to justify Hurts,  who is in the NFL only due to his running.

The way Hurts is an elite runner is definitely a huge factor. DCs have to account for that. If he was an elite runner passer and offensive coordinator he’d be Superman. He’s good passer that’s an elite runner that is great with all the intangibles. Guys follow and play for him. Back him. That should tell you that you’re missing something. I don’t look at many and say you’ve hit your ceiling at 23.

4 hours ago, stine said:

This should be everyone's game plan. One thing I can add is it would not hurt to take a flyer on a QB Day 3. Do your homework and grab a QB that has the arm and potential. Who Knows? Maybe he will be the next Wilson...

Billy Zappe broke all of Burrows records.

Ironic with Wilson.   He was day 2 guy, early 3rd round.   The Eagles wanted him, but he went just before.   

It's ironic because if we picked a little higher, we would have had him.      This year....let's jump for joy we made the playoffs because we faced awful teams...the result, we dropped 10 spots in each round...  so how many times do we miss guys??? 

I was yelling on here fir us to draft him in the second. But you know, he was just one of those shorter running QBs. Nobody you’d be interested in. Had a strong d and Beast Mode to carry him early on.

56 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

The exact quote...

" he can't read, keep moving around he gonna give us something... this guy can't read.

This where I see a pattern in your posts to where it's " planet Ham"    where was "keep shifting"    never was said.

But I get where your mind wanders from reality into your own alternate one.   The idea of " shifting" can lead one to think it's complicated movement and thus making the defense seem so complicated, and thus trying to justify Hurts difficulties in the trying to read such a complicated defense.  

Truth is, we have a limited simple offense with Hurts.  The same stuff Chip Kelly brought,except finally with a running QB. One that can't really pass on the NFL level, but excellent at the bubble screens, quick slants, short crosses... stuff that is used in quick one read systems.

It's just easy for the D to just focus on the limited amount of plays. 

Bowles wanted them to keep moving and disguising because he thought he could get the young QB. Pretty much the young QB DC playbook 101 really. Not sure why anybody would be shocked that the heaviest blitzing DC tricked a 23 year old.

56 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

You watched Allen throw?   That's why people are talking about that game being an all time great. Not 68 yards rushing... but the phenomenal throwing by both QBs.

He does have these incredible moments. But why did the Bills have to come back to retake the division from the Pats that were basically the same level as us? Why do you think Allen wasn’t taken first or second. That’s his thing. Got a cannon. Always been a great physical runner. But his passing hasn’t been real consistent. He keeps improving. Just pointing out he’s always been a fantastic runner. But if miss as a passer. When he’s in on passing he’s one of the best in the league. Foles threw a record number of TDs vs the Raiders in that one game. Doesn’t make him an elite passe though does it? I’m just filling you in on the whole history of the player in Allen.

55 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Que..." Chip was your boy, you loved his fast paced offense "    que me for 1000th time..." it's a good page 1 of a playbook... nice concepts teams use today, but not something that can be done 100% of the time.   I like quick play calls and getting to the line ASAP, not necessarily quick snaps. 

I think Hurts would be good if he could play normal offense and mix in a read option Chip Kelly type play here and there.  Not going to work come playoff time because teams will sell out to stop it.  Because they don't think he can beat then with his arm.    

Getting to the line earlier would benefit Hurts.

40 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t think he’s going to command that. Just don’t see it going down like that unless he drastically improves. Can’t pay no Wentz ransom crap again.

Ham... that's the going rate.  2 years from now its going to be higher.  You aren't getting a top 15 QB on a discount when it's his first pay day. The agent,the players union...etc. If Hurts is a top 15 QB that's how much he will cost... no way around it in the real world.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Ham... that's the going rate.  2 years from now its going to be higher.  You aren't getting a top 15 QB on a discount when it's his first pay day. The agent,the players union...etc. If Hurts is a top 15 QB that's how much he will cost... no way around it in the real world.

We’ll see

We have him for two more years with a third year tag option. Just let it play out. If he’s deserving of fifty mil then you pay it. I don’t foresee  it going down quite like that.

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Seahawks might blwo it all up.  A WR that can fetch you a 1st rd pick is a good place to start.

Yep, there’s so much going on over there. Might be time for Carroll to be done. Wilson might bail. DK has done some grumbling.

Zac Taylor was quoted as saying "We are as good as anybody else” maybe I’m nitpicking too much….but I don’t like that. Sounds like he’s trying to explain how they belong in the AFC championship on the same field as Mahomes. Trying to be as good as everybody else doesn’t sound like the SB Champs to me.

Arians and Bowles discussing that final play where Kupp burned them. Arians defended the zero blitz call by Bowles. Said some players didn’t blitz though. I’m more wondering why you’d call an all out blitz in that situation. Just cover and contain. Dumb call by Bowles.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Arians and Bowles discussing that final play where Kupp burned them. Arians defended the zero blitz call by Bowles. Said some players didn’t blitz though. I’m more wondering why you’d call an all out blitz in that situation. Just cover and contain. Dumb call by Bowles.

No dumber than Buffalo not kicking the ball on the ground with 13 seconds remaining. They would have at least used up a few seconds

Archived