Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

The Eagles will not go halfway in on Hurts.  They can do that now for a million per year. 

Let's say they can get him for 5 years $125 million.... they won't pay it for a project QB.

And if he is legit.... 5 years around $200 mil is the reality 

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

You going to get cap hits of $ 33 mil and $40 mil for Hurts in 2024 and 2025.  You see that tag as a real possibility?    I don't. 

You’d just pay him more per year over longer term. You are backload happy even more than Rosie. Yet you wonder why we are in this situation with the team we have. You’d pay him 60 mil per year as long as you can only take a 10 mil cap hit the first year.

Inflation of the world is relevant. TV contracts, ticket prices…..all these things factor in to the NFL salaries. Off the top of my head I can’t tell you when every TV deal is up. What if they add an 18th game? Two extra playoff teams? Two extra franchises to the league? These are all real possibilities. They all factor in.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

You’d just pay him more per year over longer term. You are backload happy even more than Rosie. Yet you wonder why we are in this situation with the team we have. You’d pay him 60 mil per year as long as you can only take a 10 mil cap hit the first year.

Dak would have had an inflated cap hit of $37.7 mil.

He gets 40 mil per year.   That's how it works bro. The players ain't taking a long term deal less than the current tag rate.  And remember, the actual tag# for QB was $24 mil.  

Dak got 40 while recovering from injury.  But you want Hurts to take less than a tag # long term?   Lol

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Inflation of the world is relevant. TV contracts, ticket prices…..all these things factor in to the NFL salaries. Off the top of my head I can’t tell you when every TV deal is up. What if they add an 18th game? Two extra playoff teams? Two extra franchises to the league? These are all real possibilities. They all factor in.

They all factor in the cap going up even more!    

But you think inflation has reflected NFL salaries????    Wow...that might be worse than anything you said regarding Hurts. 

So let's review.   In 2021 QB franchise tag # was $24 mil.

In 2022 it goes up to $29.5 mil. 

15 QBs have average salary of $25 mil or more ..CURRENTLY.  

Those 15 QBs are a few years into their deals... all averaging more than the 2021 franchise tag.

Dak got 66% higher per year than what the franchise tag was at the time of his deal.

But looking at those numbers.. I'm crazy saying the tag will be higher than $33 mil in 2024... when it jumped from 24 to 29.5 mil this year?     

And I'm crazy thinking if Hurts signs long term, that It would be more than 40 mil per year ( which would be like 20% over a 33 mil cap #)

But my #s seem off?

19 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I'm not paying Hurts 10 mil per year.  And that # would be an insult to the 30th best starting QB.   

This is where I'm trying to show you.. it's bye bye Hurts.... or else it's big $$ Hurts.    Option 3 ain't there.

Colts are probably considering the 15 mil dead cap hit for cutting

16 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

They all factor in the cap going up even more!    

But you think inflation has reflected NFL salaries????    Wow...that might be worse than anything you said regarding Hurts. 

Yep, when the cap rises….so do salaries. Inflation raises the cap in many ways over time. Salaries reflect the cap.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Colts are probably considering the 15 mil dead cap hit for cutting

Yep, when the cap rises….so do salaries. Inflation raises the cap in many ways over time. Salaries reflect the cap.

The cap is raised by revenue...and the players union negotiation of the higher %.    The extra game per season, plus the 2 extra playoff games are huge bumps.   The price of a hot dog, beer or parking.... or the loaf of bread in China are not really impactful.

Regardless... cap, tag and salaries are going up huge.   Take Mahomes getting 45 per year on a deal signed in 2020... Allen and Dak signed in 2021 for 43 and 40 mil averages.  In 2024/ 2025 Burrow and Herbert will easily get $50 mil per.

If Hurts legit top half of the league starter... and Lurie gets him at a 20% less # .... that's still $40 mil per.  Tag will most likely be conservatively 35 mil for a QB in 2024.    

The 15th best QB ain't coming below market value, which is easily projected at the # Dak signed 3 years earlier. 

And the point is.. even without inflation.   Keep the numbers at 2022 rates.

$29.5 for franchise tag on Hurts... or not even going over that # per year in a 5 year deal.  ( the rates signed in prior years for guys like Tannehill and Jimmy G) 

I don't see it happening unless he improves big time. Because he isn't the 15th best QB now.

Basically if planet Ham is correct on every #... and zero inflation.    Hurts would have 2 years to prove he is worth $30 million.    

If Lurie doesn't think so...he becomes a free agent.    And he should easily get that amount on the open market if he is the 15th best starter in the NFL.    

If he doesn't get that, it should speak volumes to his loyal supporters.    

I will remain consistent, if he gets that 2nd contract, I will consider him a success.... and it doesn't have to to be $30 million. If he earns $10 million in his entire career, I would view him as a success.  That is where I have the bar set for him.

So Derek Carr has one year remaining on his contract. By what you are saying he will be extended to make 45 mil a year this year.

NFL.com has Hurts at 15. 
ProFootballNetwork had him at 17

PFF has him at 10.

Fansided has him at 17

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Basically if planet Ham is correct on every #... and zero inflation.    Hurts would have 2 years to prove he is worth $30 million.    

If Lurie doesn't think so...he becomes a free agent.    And he should easily get that amount on the open market if he is the 15th best starter in the NFL.    

If he doesn't get that, it should speak volumes to his loyal supporters.    

I will remain consistent, if he gets that 2nd contract, I will consider him a success.... and it doesn't have to to be $30 million. If he earns $10 million in his entire career, I would view him as a success.  That is where I have the bar set for him.

It’s kind of like the volumes it spoke to Wentz supporters that we could only get a conditional second round pick for him. Or the volumes it speaks that his coach and GM won’t even commit to him for a second season. Their owner ripped into him about being all in and coming to win if he is allowed to come back through the doors to their facility. 
   Or why don’t we go back to the fact they drafted Mr Intangibles while having Wentz and paying him. Felt like they were drafting the things Wentz was missing. Then the second round pick beat him out of the job and got him benched. Took over the starting job here. Wentz had to flee so he could still be a starter. Might only have lasted one year there though. Nobody there seems to back him anymore…already. Might be time for him to move on again so he can continue to try and be a starter. Don’t see a team giving a conditional second like we got for him now though.

I think Sam Darnold was traded for about the same. Darnold got three picks. Rosie fleeced the Colts by getting them to base the conditional second rounder on snaps and playoff berth. It was near impossible for that team not to make the postseason.

I’d choose Wentz over Darnold for what it’s worth. But the league GMs didn’t see much of a difference it appears.

Off Topic. Sean Payton decides to come back in 2022 for another team. Do you trade for him giving the Saints your 19th pick? Or do you roll with Siri?

55 minutes ago, stine said:

Off Topic. Sean Payton decides to come back in 2022 for another team. Do you trade for him giving the Saints your 19th pick? Or do you roll with Siri?

Stick with Siri think Payton is great not worth at 1st 

2 hours ago, stine said:

You roll with Sirianni. Payton isn't going to make this team a contender. 

Sounds like Brandon Brooks is going to retire Eagles redid his contract to help with the cap. 

I’m really curious as to what we do on the OL I mean we have a good problem with so many guy that can start and play.

LT-Mailata 

LG- Dickerson- think you have to keep him at LG

C-Kelce job unless he retires, If Kelce retires do we go Dickerson here??? Semaulo??? Draft his replacement??? Linderbaum???

RG- My guess is Semulo moves over when healthy though you also have Driscoll and Herbig who have played well at RG

RT- Lane

I know we tried to move Brooks last offseason have to wonder if we look to deal a G this offseason as well especially if we snag another interior guy like Linderbaum to possibly replace Kelce. 

On the side note we also have Dillard still who showed he can play at a decent level at least at LT. could be bother trade chip 

My roster breakdown going into the offseason starting on offense. 

QB- Nope don’t think Hurts is the answer yes think he will be the guy next season though just lack of options.

RB- honestly think we see the Eagles draft a guy probably around round 3 my guess is the more one cut down hill running type seems to fit Siri better we seen the impact a healthy Howard had. Have Gains for the change of pace pass catching. Sanders will be around 1 more year as well. 

WR- we have two guys Smith and Quez the rest need to be replaced I’d look to sign a guy in FA really like the idea of Juju on a prove it deal working the slot for us can also aim to draft a guy later 

TE- think we are fairly set Geodart is a clear cut #1 Stoll/Jackson likely fine as the #2/3 guys Stoll gives the blocking help Jackson gives us some receiving help.  

OL- read above post 

Now the defensive breakdown and boy oh boy do we need help.

DE- Graham old, Sweat good #2 option Barnett needs to be gone Jackson might be alright rotational piece… Seriously need help on the edge.

DT- Cox/Hargrave are older not spring chickens Milton showed some flashes might be a good player in time still need more on the inside though

LB- Edwards that basically all we have, Taylor showed some flashes but then got hurt. Don’t have a ton of faith much happens here though. 

CB- Slay was good, Nelson was solid both old doubt Nelson returns… Maddox might be the only long term option manning the slot.

S- needs complete overhaul… Wallace stayed Hurt. Epps was solid but can definitely get better. 

Archived