Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This season the Eagles lead the NFL in sacks, takeaways, and opponent’s three and outs.

5 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

Cole Beasley retired.

Will anyone notice?

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

This season the Eagles lead the NFL in sacks, takeaways, and opponent’s three and outs.

Not bad... Not bad at all!

13 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Will anyone notice?

he used to give us fits when playing for the Cowpies.

2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Interesting on the running QB's Ham.

A nice thing about play action is it slows the D while the QB's back is turned and they have to figure out where the ball is - it's a game of inches

Yep,play action is fine, QB Option is fine,  it's the college RPO I don't like (and they are different by definition). So I hope we have graduated college finally, because the RPO offense does not work on this team(because the players are PRO's not college)

1 hour ago, Asg 15 said:

Cole Beasley retired.

He was one of those blue collar guys who you could count on in the clutch 3rd and longs. Like Edelman/Amendola and we had one once in Avant. Now it seems as the position has changed that is a TE responsibility now although I still love a good clutch slot WR(Pascal would be that I would think). I think we were hoping Jjaw would be that guy, but the talent just wasn't there

3 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Interesting on the running QB's Ham.

A nice thing about play action is it slows the D while the QB's back is turned and they have to figure out where the ball is - it's a game of inches

We shall see what happens come playoff time.  For some reason all that seems to go out the window when defenses are faced with " stop the running QB or go home" situation as compared to just one of 17 regular season games.   

You all know me when it comes to Hurts. I have not been on board until recently and still want to see more. However, I do acknowledge that he has shown vast improvement in a few areas. Foot Work, Reading defenses, Rolling left and others.

Someone told me he is average and missed wide open receivers last weekend. I countered that the conditions were as such that I was actually happy they went run and he did not try to make some long passes, assuming he saw them. Then he tells me that the way the defense was set up, Hurts should know that one would be wide open and to look for it.

OK, first I did not see anyone else write about this. Second, we all need to realize that Hurts is in his second full year as a starter. He is not going to look like Aaron Rodgers who is in his 18th + season.

Peyton Had 52 TD's, 43 Int's and less than 60% completion rate after two seasons. Elway had 25 TD's, 29 Int's and less than 55% completion rate after two seasons. These were top 10 all time QB's. Yes they had better arms than Hurts, but you cannot tell me that ALL of those INT's were because they were forcing the ball. Some had to have been missed reads.

Anyway, I am willing to give him until the end of the season. So should all Eagle fans. No reason not to. I feel he is well on the right track and hope he succeeds. That would help this team out big time.

25 minutes ago, stine said:

You all know me when it comes to Hurts. I have not been on board until recently and still want to see more. However, I do acknowledge that he has shown vast improvement in a few areas. Foot Work, Reading defenses, Rolling left and others.

Someone told me he is average and missed wide open receivers last weekend. I countered that the conditions were as such that I was actually happy they went run and he did not try to make some long passes, assuming he saw them. Then he tells me that the way the defense was set up, Hurts should know that one would be wide open and to look for it.

OK, first I did not see anyone else write about this. Second, we all need to realize that Hurts is in his second full year as a starter. He is not going to look like Aaron Rodgers who is in his 11th + season.

Peyton Had 52 TD's, 43 Int's and less than 60% completion rate after two seasons. Elway had 25 TD's, 29 Int's and less than 55% completion rate after two seasons. These were top 10 all time QB's. Yes they had better arms than Hurts, but you cannot tell me that ALL of those INT's were because they were forcing the ball. Some had to have been missed reads.

Anyway, I am willing to give him until the end of the season. So should all Eagle fans. No reason not to. I feel he is well on the right track and hope he succeeds. That would help this team out big time.

We have no choice anyway. A deal cannot be done until after this season has ended. Shew is here as insurance. IDK who this "someone" is, but according to others the conditions were horrendous so even if he saw someone open would you risk a throw? I mean all your reads would have to be adjusted for the wind,then change at the 1/2. Like trying to play Frisbee in a 35 mph wind 50 feet from you. I can wide open see you,getting it to you is another story. Hurts would really have to blow this big time to NOT be considered for a new contract. He is going to have a bad game sometime,every QB has one,so be ready for it. I would think your completion rate falls when you are dropping 65 yard bombs which Manning, Arod and Elway could do,so that is a rough comparison to someone who maxes at 53. Usually that stuff is broken down into 20 yard increments,and those other guys you mentioned would take 4-5-6 deep shots a game while we are lucky to see 2 from Hurts,so once again that is tricky just to post general stats. We did finally see some deep shots from Hurts,even if they are incomplete it's nice to see him air it out sometimes and he will as his confidence grows. He has also only worked with 1 WR we have more than a year(Quez) so as that chemistry forms he should be even better. I also like the fact Hurts is(or seems to be) on more of a pass first mentality,that will extend his career. I don't mind some planned runs called for him,but it seems now he is checking more to pass before making the decision to run. This is why I am fine with the read/option as opposed to the college RPO. I believe he has finally graduated college(or Siri made him which is his job). When you call a college RPO play, that is when you get your "illegal linemen downfield" calls. So Ahead we have some different type teams with different strengths than we have had before. Should be interesting to see how Gannon handles a QB that plays like Hurts. Really, Murray is the first running QB we have faced in awhile. I hope the beat up Oline can work,because you know they will be coming after the replacements

1 hour ago, stine said:

OK, first I did not see anyone else write about this. Second, we all need to realize that Hurts is in his second full year as a starter. He is not going to look like Aaron Rodgers who is in his 18th + season.

Willing to give him until end of the season to do what? He’s already in the MVP race. Expectations are ridiculous if he hasn’t done enough already.

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

We have no choice anyway. A deal cannot be done until after this season has ended. Shew is here as insurance. IDK who this "someone" is, but according to others the conditions were horrendous so even if he saw someone open would you risk a throw? I mean all your reads would have to be adjusted for the wind,then change at the 1/2. Like trying to play Frisbee in a 35 mph wind 50 feet from you. I can wide open see you,getting it to you is another story. Hurts would really have to blow this big time to NOT be considered for a new contract. He is going to have a bad game sometime,every QB has one,so be ready for it. I would think your completion rate falls when you are dropping 65 yard bombs which Manning, Arod and Elway could do,so that is a rough comparison to someone who maxes at 53. Usually that stuff is broken down into 20 yard increments,and those other guys you mentioned would take 4-5-6 deep shots a game while we are lucky to see 2 from Hurts,so once again that is tricky just to post general stats. We did finally see some deep shots from Hurts,even if they are incomplete it's nice to see him air it out sometimes and he will as his confidence grows. He has also only worked with 1 WR we have more than a year(Quez) so as that chemistry forms he should be even better. I also like the fact Hurts is(or seems to be) on more of a pass first mentality,that will extend his career. I don't mind some planned runs called for him,but it seems now he is checking more to pass before making the decision to run. This is why I am fine with the read/option as opposed to the college RPO. I believe he has finally graduated college(or Siri made him which is his job). When you call a college RPO play, that is when you get your "illegal linemen downfield" calls. So Ahead we have some different type teams with different strengths than we have had before. Should be interesting to see how Gannon handles a QB that plays like Hurts. Really, Murray is the first running QB we have faced in awhile. I hope the beat up Oline can work,because you know they will be coming after the replacements

Hurts throws downfield pretty much more than any other QB. The one area he has left to develop is actually checking down.

Hurts throws downfield pretty much more than any other QB. The one area he has left to develop is actually checking down.

Idk what you are watching..... the bulk of his throws are just past the line... he is excellent at all the short passes.  And Brown and Goedert are excellent at turning those short passes into nice gains.  It's nice to have a QB who can actually consistently make these throws.  

Stats can be deceiving. He may have as many 20+ yard completions, but how many throws of 20+ yards in the air?

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Idk what you are watching..... the bulk of his throws are just past the line... he is excellent at all the short passes.  And Brown and Goedert are excellent at turning those short passes into nice gains.  It's nice to have a QB who can actually consistently make these throws.  

He is hitting those quick hitters, sure. Siri preached his style as YAC related. Hurts is definitely hitting downfield also. But he doesn’t really end up holding it and then dumping off to the RB in the flat.

The Raiders knew they were getting a special teams standout when signing Mack Hollins to a one-year, $2 million deal worth up to $2.5 million with incentives. Hollins wasn't expected to quickly become a key contributor in the passing game. He already has career season highs of 17 receptions and 273 receiving yards while still excelling on special teams. Hollins has taken advantage of Davante Adams being double teamed and Hunter Renfrowmissing the last two games with a concussion. Hollins had a career-best game of eight catches for 158 yards and a touchdown in a 24-22 Week 3 loss to the Titans.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

I'm happy his accuracy picked up on them

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

He is hitting those quick hitters, sure. Siri preached his style as YAC related. Hurts is definitely hitting downfield also. But he doesn’t really end up holding it and then dumping off to the RB in the flat.

Why should he?

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

State Farm Stadium is over 1,000 feet above sea level. 

And?

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I'm happy his accuracy picked up on them

I actually think he has been very accurate on the short throws since the beginning.   I mean for years of watching Randall, McNabb, Vick Wentz...all with the longer releases... it's nice to see a simple quick release on a simple short throw.  

To me a big reason why Brady and Montana were so good is because they make the easy play in easy fashion.  

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Willing to give him until end of the season to do what? He’s already in the MVP race. Expectations are ridiculous if he hasn’t done enough already.

The season is 17 games plus playoffs.  Yes or no for me will be decided by then.  Not 4 games vs bad teams nor 4 games that would have gone poorly.  The whole season.   

This is $50 mil per year decision here. . Not " is Hurts ok"  You really going to decide that vs Detroit, Minnesota,  Washington and Jacksonville?    

MVP discussion through 4 games...wow, we've never seen guys have 4 game stretches with 8 combined TDs before?  

The whole season....good or bad. Then they make a decision 

Archived