Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You might need to describe your thinking’s on defining Stoll as average. Seems like he filled a niche on a power football team. Connecting in space with on the move LB it feels like is a key skill he possesses. Usually you lean heavily on needing stats to define players. On that he really hasn’t shown up with production. He’s only been looked at for 19 targets in two seasons. I want to be fair and point out that QB1 wasn’t accustomed to utilizing the middle I the field with TEs much before his pro career. Hurts has clearly shown growth in his relationship with Goedert. But when you consider the amount of snaps Stoll has logged…..believe you make a T eligible that many snaps a QB probably looks even that guys way 19 times in the shear opportunities. Also have to take into consideration the high level percentages Stoll was out there on running plays. Clearly no opportunities for receptions on those. The O put up a large amount of points last season consistently. Fairly well balanced I’d even add. The physical bullying approach of such a strong Oline with two strong run blocking TEs really faired we’ll much of the time. League has become more finesse and situational personnel wise. Smaller LB and Edge players….with those Defensive minded concepts of personnel choices and deployment ….brute force they are weak against. But can’t but help considering how such a one dimensional ‘TE’ keys a defensive scheme/gameplan/ playcalling. Guy just doesn’t have threat built in him. I like the idea of going toward more of a receiving threat personnel. We previously have dominated running out of 11 personnel with 3 WR sets. You bring in the slot WR instead of the second TE. D most always respond with a Nickel defender subbing for a LB. Those are usually the smallest defenders that take snaps. They have to take the threat of the slot WR burning them seriously with any guy that poses any threat. Slot WR can do a block job to run like JJAW did very well at. In the pass game they can be pawns by getting in the way becoming a pick. But back to the run/pass….if the O is anywhere near on schedule on down and distance categories(while score isn’t a huge barrier) then those WR can just go out in their routes. Especially out leverage against the defender pattern. Make it difficult for that slot DB to just be staring into the backfield. He also isn’t getting the easy tip of his man trying to block him…that he instinctual wants to move to shed.

SO filling a niche makes you above average?. Like 32 other guys can't fill the same niche? Jjaw never hit "average" in my view,if he had he would still be here???

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

PFF numbers aren’t flattering on Davis.

He played enough to get us to the SB and he's on rook pay, why push him hard and get him hurt year 1? I could be the best go kart driver on earth,but I'm not winning Indy year 1. I'm anxious to see if Dean will play more this year 

16 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

He played enough to get us to the SB and he's on rook pay, why push him hard and get him hurt year 1? I could be the best go kart driver on earth,but I'm not winning Indy year 1. I'm anxious to see if Dean will play more this year 

Davis didn’t have much impact on achieving NFC Champions. I don’t want to push Davis too hard year one. But it was the opposite. He was handled with such kid gloves to barely be out there. Still got hurt. So it’s obvious to question whether he’ll ever be capable of handling more than half the snaps.

Won’t take much for Dean to play more. He’s targeted as the D player wearing the green dot. Makes it easy to assume he’s in for a large role.

16 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

SO filling a niche makes you above average?. Like 32 other guys can't fill the same niche? Jjaw never hit "average" in my view,if he had he would still be here???

I was just trying to understand what your point was. I don’t see him as above average at all. I referred to him as a niche player. That’s why I asked you to define.

Siri highlighted Quez as the player that has stood out so far

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I was just trying to understand what your point was. I don’t see him as above average at all. I referred to him as a niche player. That’s why I asked you to define.

The point is we don't have a TE 2. We have Goedert and multiple #3 TE's and noone has stepped up to challenge Goedert. Sure you will have a "TE2" because someone has to play there,but If we want to keep the TE pipeline flowing we need someone to step up their game. Burton, Ertz, Goedert and there is no heir apparent at this point. That's why(I assume) Joe wanted a decently high TE draft pick(I was opting for another slot WR,but either would have worked). Could be we fire up both of those in the next draft since Howie has alot of picks to play with

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Siri highlighted Quez as the player that has stood out so far

Sure cause we got a guy that will compete to start. Nothing like setting a guys jock on fire to get him motivated

17 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Davis didn’t have much impact on achieving NFC Champions. I don’t want to push Davis too hard year one. But it was the opposite. He was handled with such kid gloves to barely be out there. Still got hurt. So it’s obvious to question whether he’ll ever be capable of handling more than half the snaps.

Won’t take much for Dean to play more. He’s targeted as the D player wearing the green dot. Makes it easy to assume he’s in for a large role.

He could be the steal of the draft. Round 1 talent. Howie just keeps winning drafts over and over :rock:  So,interesting question,is this team better than last years? Of course we don't know yet. We lost alot of guys,but we have guys that should take the next step now. Secondary will be the spot(as it usually is) I think we can win this division again. Gainwell played well at the end of the year,Swift is a weapon. If Penny can stay on the field,our running game will be fine. Hurts seemed more comfortable throwing the ball, which all us "haters" wanted to see,so I hope his confidence goes higher yet. RG starter will be a battle and whomever that is steps up. Some guys on the roster I don't even know about. Blankenship was a great find,kudos to him for working his tail off to make the team. if Dean shows up we will be tough to run on and you have Davis with a year in,add in Carter and our lines look just fine. Saw a show where they predicted 12-5. We play alot better teams,so that's great experience for the new kids,but I'm going 1 better and saying 13-4,a division win and after playing the better teams we will be balls to the wall be ready for another SB appearance. No injuries to speak of last year,if that continues this is all doable. I will lower my expectations on the scoring front this year but still want over 27 PPG. That would be a win for me because we play better teams this year. PS Swift could have his best year ever behind our much better O line than they had in Detroit. Most important to me is, with Penny,we have that 4th 1/4 grinder that can put games away. Sanders was rarely in on 3rd down. Now we actually have a 3rd down RB. He can be a 3 down back,but I think we hit teams with so many combinations at RB we will be hard to read/defend. Anxious to see what Desai can do.

I questioned how quickly they should consider pushing Davis back from injury. Many, including this bleedinG article, grade his performance as not being effective on return. All the way through the SB where he only logged ten snaps….which they probably second guess even those now. Linval Joseph sits as a FA. Gotta be the most obvious target for us out there. Davis never regained positioning on him.

35 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I questioned how quickly they should consider pushing Davis back from injury. Many, including this bleedinG article, grade his performance as not being effective on return. All the way through the SB where he only logged ten snaps….which they probably second guess even those now. Linval Joseph sits as a FA. Gotta be the most obvious target for us out there. Davis never regained positioning on him.

Agreed,Davis has to earn it now

The beauty of football.  The NFL is a man's game.    It's why we see huge jumps from rookies going into year 2....and from year 2 to year 3.

There is a guy that is the longest tenured Philadelphia athlete.... we traded up to get him... passed on a stud safety.     Dude really didn't hit his stride until his 6th season.    Great mentor to have for our young DL. 

30 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Donovan-Jackson-OL-OhioState  While watching college(OSU) keep your eye on this kid as a possible round 1 pick for us if we are still struggling at RG

We pretty much just hand picked the new RG in this draft in the third. Already have Opeta and Driscoll that have proven they can be more than serviceable at the position. All that with many calling the early favorite our second round pick the year before. Serious overkill!

So was switching picks and calling out Gannon worth losing the top DC option?

Dalvin Cook as I suspected was released. Be a huge talent to add.

We pretty much just hand picked the new RG in this draft in the third. Already have Opeta and Driscoll that have proven they can be more than serviceable at the position. All that with many calling the early favorite our second round pick the year before. Serious overkill!

LOL I disagree because it;s like TE,We have alot of #3 guys,we will pick one to play RG(same at TE). it's not like we have a star in the wings. SOMEONE will start. Round is is a "well he could work out:" not a serious starter. He could "work out", we shall see

How is it "serious overkill" when Kelce and Lane will be retiring soon? be nice to at least have a top RG, maybe a C out of this mess, You always want top guys as BU's then complain when we add depth LOL . Lane and Kelce retire after this year. Tell me your starting C,RG and ROT for the '24 season

16 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

How is it "serious overkill" when Kelce and Lane will be retiring soon? be nice to at least have a top RG, maybe a C out of this mess, You always want top guys as BU's then complain when we add depth LOL . Lane and Kelce retire after this year. Tell me your starting C,RG and ROT for the '24 season

Your counter to "overkill at RG” is basing the need on our C and RT being in the twilight of their careers? Think you practically debated yourself on that one. So RT would be the position of future need very clearly. Think T is the clear and obvious position to invest in the future of the Oline. But we brought in two guys to compete for backup LT position. Always possible Stout trims fat off one of them to work out.

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Your counter to "overkill at RG” is basing the need on our C and RT being in the twilight of their careers? Think you practically debated yourself on that one. So RT would be the position of future need very clearly. Think T is the clear and obvious position to invest in the future of the Oline. But we brought in two guys to compete for backup LT position. Always possible Stout trims fat off one of them to work out.

Opeta and Driscoll won't be here next year.   If Kelce retires that moves Jurgens to C.   So drafting another G isn't overkill.  Thr best man wins the starting job and at that point the depth looks pretty slim.     

But that's next year.   We have a fun season ahead, not at all looking next year.

Archived