Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

Mailata was able to keep defenders away from runners behind him — or to the two gaps to either side of him — longer than any other left tackle in 2022. PFF gave him the ninth-best overall grade among all tackles last season. 

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our Oline is so powerful and large. You just gotta take advantage of that physicality. When Siri first was hired he was just to be so pass happy. But getting our Oline mauling forward instead of going backwards changes the whole game. Sets a tone. Everybody knows when it’s time to play us…going to be a physical game.

When you get punched in the mouth and physically dominated….that pass rush loses a step. Those defenders are very mindful of the possibility they have a moving wall coming straight at them. Might give just that half a step advantage in pass blocking.

So you like our OL now?   We are past the agenda that everyone sucks except for Hurts?

17 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Think No Mas was the one to mention Lane and Kelce wanting a bigger guy next to them. Frankly if those two want it to continue playing ….they get it.

It's a good thing when Kelce started the 2 G's didn't want someone bigger. I believe the coaching staff decides which guy works best for them

17 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

When you get punched in the mouth and physically dominated….that pass rush loses a step. Those defenders are very mindful of the possibility they have a moving wall coming straight at them. Might give just that half a step advantage in pass blocking.

IDK WTF you are talking about. Maybe changing to lighter shoe laces would give them that 1/2 step

11 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

It's a good thing when Kelce started the 2 G's didn't want someone bigger. I believe the coaching staff decides which guy works best for them

I agree... I also think any intelligent coach would consider guys like Kelce and Lane.... not sure the fireman who was drafted 1st the same year as Kelce or Evan Mathis had the same clout??????     

But I didn't come up with the idea of the bigger G... that was a few of the local media, not sure if it was Ray Didinger, Brian Baldinger, Jon Ritchie ...or all of them.     I did mention it when Ham brought up that Jurgens had to be the guy.... about the comments on the size.

Imo...Jurgens playing G for a year doesn't matter...his success will be determined how he plays center long term.   I am about the best 5 guys playing.   Don't care which one it is that wins the RG spot this year.   Eventually Jurgens at C and Steen at RG should be the plan.  Doesn't have to start in 2023.

19 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I agree... I also think any intelligent coach would consider guys like Kelce and Lane.... not sure the fireman who was drafted 1st the same year as Kelce or Evan Mathis had the same clout??????     

But I didn't come up with the idea of the bigger G... that was a few of the local media, not sure if it was Ray Didinger, Brian Baldinger, Jon Ritchie ...or all of them.     I did mention it when Ham brought up that Jurgens had to be the guy.... about the comments on the size.

Imo...Jurgens playing G for a year doesn't matter...his success will be determined how he plays center long term.   I am about the best 5 guys playing.   Don't care which one it is that wins the RG spot this year.   Eventually Jurgens at C and Steen at RG should be the plan.  Doesn't have to start in 2023.

IDK I believe that while in most cases big guys beat up little guys,there are other factors(besides those shoe laces 🤣). It's like drag racing sometimes,it's power to weight and a solid center of gravity. A quick solid release could be better than 5 extra pounds and having a lower center of gravity actually puts you under your opponents pads or forces him to drop to meet yours. If you can do that and have the power to move them,you won't lose that battle often. So without getting "Hammy" and rambling on about a million whatevers, every person is unique.and it's the staffs job to find the player from the pool you are given, that utilizes his tools to the best effect. Also the misnomer of "small arms" was just that. I didn't see any statistical difference for linemen.If Jurgens is the best RG this year play him,if not don't. Put out the 5 best you got. If we can stay fairly intact until next draft,maybe we find the best RG then(or not). Remember Kelce was "too small to play C", Sproles was "too small to play RB

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077546-eagles-position-battles-to-watch-ahead-of-2023-nfl-season  I can't rule out that we pick up another slot/3 WR. Besides the battle for #3 starter,we could still use the depth. Although we can't afford Hopkins,we can see who that team cuts(if anyone)

17 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077546-eagles-position-battles-to-watch-ahead-of-2023-nfl-season  I can't rule out that we pick up another slot/3 WR. Besides the battle for #3 starter,we could still use the depth. Although we can't afford Hopkins,we can see who that team cuts(if anyone)

PS I am still having an eyeball on Rashard Higgins if I am Howie. Played zero with Carolina last year. Cheap addition in my view

5 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

IDK I believe that while in most cases big guys beat up little guys,there are other factors(besides those shoe laces 🤣). It's like drag racing sometimes,it's power to weight and a solid center of gravity. A quick solid release could be better than 5 extra pounds and having a lower center of gravity actually puts you under your opponents pads or forces him to drop to meet yours. If you can do that and have the power to move them,you won't lose that battle often. So without getting "Hammy" and rambling on about a million whatevers, every person is unique.and it's the staffs job to find the player from the pool you are given, that utilizes his tools to the best effect. Also the misnomer of "small arms" was just that. I didn't see any statistical difference for linemen.If Jurgens is the best RG this year play him,if not don't. Put out the 5 best you got. If we can stay fairly intact until next draft,maybe we find the best RG then(or not). Remember Kelce was "too small to play C", Sproles was "too small to play RB

So again,..... I agree the best 5 play.... that's what the QB, RBs and the rest of the team deserve.

But the size thing wasn't me.  I was just repeating the local experts in the know.   Their comments was that Kelce either prefers or is better off with the bigger G.   Also stated Lane would prefer it

Makes sense as we have seen the OL take the jump from Chip using the tackle types at guard...to Brooks, Seamulo and more bigger, physical types. 

Size can't be the only factor, but I'm sure it is one.  Either way let the best man win the job. 

I imagine Lane isn’t so happy about Dickerson not being paired with him

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I imagine Lane isn’t so happy about Dickerson not being paired with him

I think Lane is smart enough to know  Dickerson and Mailata work so well together they wouldn't split them up unless they're desperate to make a change.

6 hours ago, Asg 15 said:

I think Lane is smart enough to know  Dickerson and Mailata work so well together they wouldn't split them up unless they're desperate to make a change.

We were supremely lucky(or good) to get those 2 in place. Mailata took time, Dickerson dropped right into his role. Nice to know your QB's blind side is covered for years. Apparently we will find the RG,so now it's down to the kelce/lane replacements we need to find

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

We were supremely lucky(or good) to get those 2 in place. Mailata took time, Dickerson dropped right into his role. Nice to know your QB's blind side is covered for years. Apparently we will find the RG,so now it's down to the kelce/lane replacements we need to find

Hopefully just down to Lane's replacement.   

11 hours ago, Asg 15 said:

Yeah but it always could have been Dickerson and Lane first

I’m sure we’ll use another early pick on the Oline next draft also.

Extreme investment in the trenches might be overdoing it. Carter was a steal. Huge get. Even Nolan was seemingly BPA. But it’s so lopsided the draft selections. Be great to get some leaders at other areas around the field.

Curious what the move is at RB next year. Probably depends how it goes this year. Swift and Penny don’t pay off…be thinking about a second round investment perhaps. But they look good might feed into overconfidence that they can keep rolling the dice.

This might be it for Kelce and Lane. Kelce already going media. He’s enjoying it. Think he’s ready to go. Lane I’m not sure he wants to deal with it anymore. Made tons of money. Not much reason to motivate.

15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Extreme investment in the trenches might be overdoing it. Carter was a steal. Huge get. Even Nolan was seemingly BPA. But it’s so lopsided the draft selections. Be great to get some leaders at other areas around the field.

You can never have too many good lineman

A great line makes up for a lot of weaknesses elsewhere

25 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

This might be it for Kelce and Lane. Kelce already going media. He’s enjoying it. Think he’s ready to go. Lane I’m not sure he wants to deal with it anymore. Made tons of money. Not much reason to motivate.

I agree....too bad they don't have a QB that could motivate them to keep playing.   Lane really has no reason to play at all.  

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I agree....too bad they don't have a QB that could motivate them to keep playing.   Lane really has no reason to play at all.  

Lane dealt with pill addiction, mental health struggles and fought through that injury last postseason. How long does he wake up and choose to deal with all that again? I’d say he’s 50/50 on one or two more seasons.

15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Lane dealt with pill addiction, mental health struggles and fought through that injury last postseason. How long does he wake up and choose to deal with all that again? I’d say he’s 50/50 on one or two more seasons.

Do the mental health struggles stop after playing football?  

Archived