EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

6 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

He always misses the short ones and it is mind boggling.

One of, if not the worst contract the Eagles are stuck with.  If other overpaid vets play like trash, you can easily reduce their playing time.  Yea you might be paying a guy to sit more but with Elliot, if he's bad well...he's the only kicker. 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BigEFly said:

For the love of the football gods, you think four days into TC some of the Philly media can judge hand placement, footwork, bend, punch, etc. with no pads on?  

I hear you and yes it's probably an early overreaction by me but just I'm just going off what information we're given these days.  It doesn't sound like he's changed at all or improved from last year.  Pads on Tuesday, we'll see how it goes.

The problem I have with the LT competition is it sounds like they are having it 100% to justify Dillard as a 1st round pick.  Mailata, while he still needs to improve, outplayed him when on the field last year and is outplaying him now.  There shouldn't be a competition.  Mailata should be the starter and Dillard should be LT2 while also learning how to play RT so in the event that Lane Johnson goes down he doesn't crap the bed again.  

8 hours ago, austinfan said:

The one thing I noticed about Reagor last year (and the stats support this) is his ability to get separation, he's a bit like Maclin in that he doesn't look like he's running that fast, but seems to consistently separate from coverage. We'll see if that carries over, especially if he sharpens his route running.

Reagor didn’t really separate consistently. He was actually really bad at defeating man coverage. 

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I hear you and yes it's probably an early overreaction by me but just I'm just going off what information we're given these days.  It doesn't sound like he's changed at all or improved from last year.  Pads on Tuesday, we'll see how it goes.

The problem I have with the LT competition is it sounds like they are having it 100% to justify Dillard as a 1st round pick.  Mailata, while he still needs to improve, outplayed him when on the field last year and is outplaying him now.  There shouldn't be a competition.  Mailata should be the starter and Dillard should be LT2 while also learning how to play RT so in the event that Lane Johnson goes down he doesn't crap the bed again.  

This is completely the wrong mindset.  Every position should have meaningful competition to bring out the best in each player.  With the salary cap system certain guys are basically guaranteed their jobs by contract, but they should still be pushed.

I watched as much as I could find from the Eagles practice yesterday.  What did I see?  Fletcher Cox looked quite lazy going through his drills.  Does that mean I can tell he's going to have a poor season?  Hardly.  Greg Ward still likes letting the ball hit the ground on PR drills.  Concerning but doesn't give any definitive conclusions.  

These guys will be coached up for the next 5 weeks, and only then will the depth chart be set.   

8 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

They were teammates at college.  Should have something to build on.

Reagor just wasn’t as fast as advertised last year.  It’s evidence of the 40 actually mattering.  He looked like a burner in college, ran an extremely disappointing 40 at the combine, and then looked like a 4.49-4.5 guy on the field as a rookie.

The fact that he failed his conditioning tests means we probably shouldn’t be expecting some brand new, faster player in Reagor this year.

I still have some hope and I did like the pick, but I’m no longer expecting him to become a quality #2 for us.  I think slot #3 is where this ship is headed.  Slower, stronger version of Agholor with better hands and worse routes with a similar career arc.

13 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It wasn’t “$8-$10M” like you were trying to claim. It was when Aaron Jones signed for $12M apy. I said I wouldn’t give Sanders that. I also didn’t say "spring him off this year” I said let him play out his contract and let him walk if he wants a deal like that. 

Relax bud, I was just bustin' your chops. 

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Reagor didn’t really separate consistently. He was actually really bad at defeating man coverage. 

Might not be true. 

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Might not be true. 

Matt Harmon of Reception Perception (who charts wide receiver separation on every route from an 8-game sample) said that "Jalen Reagor’s 40.8 percent success rate vs. man coverage is the second-worst mark recorded in Reception Perception history (2014-2020).”

Harmon continued saying, "There’s really no need to sugarcoat things: Jalen Reagor’s rookie season was a disaster.”

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Matt Harmon of Reception Perception (who charts wide receiver separation on every route from an 8-game sample) said that "Jalen Reagor’s 40.8 percent success rate vs. man coverage is the second-worst mark recorded in Reception Perception history (2014-2020).”

Harmon continued saying, "There’s really no need to sugarcoat things: Jalen Reagor’s rookie season was a disaster.”

Out of curiosity, how many targets is that based off of?  

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Out of curiosity, how many targets is that based off of?  

It’s routes run, not targets. 

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Smith had a better college career than Calvin Ridley, Jerry Jeudy, Amari Cooper and Julio Jones, 1200 yards may be a little optimistic but I'd be hoping he lands somewhere around 950-1k

I’d say reasonable expectations is at least 800 but being a top 10 you’d hope he’s pushing closer to 1k. 1,200 would be exceptional. 

33 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

what is the criteria for "success rate"?

12 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It’s routes run, not targets. 

Thanks for that, I just looked it up and realized it.  

I'm not familiar with the stat but Reagor was ranked 93 but then 2 spots ahead of him is Larry Fitzgerald at 91.  

8 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

what is the criteria for "success rate"?

Success Rate vs. Coverage scores – how often a receiver gets open against the defenders covering him. A success is charted when a receiver "gets open” against the coverage. Creating separation, enough for the quarterback to have a reasonable target, is marked as a success. The only plays that are automatically given as success to the receiver are instances where a receiver is obviously held or interfered with (called or not).

15 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Success Rate vs. Coverage scores – how often a receiver gets open against the defenders covering him. A success is charted when a receiver "gets open” against the coverage. Creating separation, enough for the quarterback to have a reasonable target, is marked as a success. The only plays that are automatically given as success to the receiver are instances where a receiver is obviously held or interfered with (called or not).

Interesting. There was a narrative from a few bloggers, and Im pretty sure it came form a reporter, that said Reagor was actually open quite a bit. Trouble often was whether the QB saw him, or got the ball to him. 

Not sure which to believe. I guess we will find out this season. 

4 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Considering that Dillard missed the entire season because of injury, that's obviously just not true. Unless your presumption is that a player who didn't play loses by default, which would be silly. And please don't suggest you're attempting to evaluate the training camp performance of both players last year prior to Dillard's injury, based solely on random tweets about random plays. That would be even sillier.

16 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Interesting. There was a narrative from a few bloggers, and Im pretty sure it came form a reporter, that said Reagor was actually open quite a bit. Trouble often was whether the QB saw him, or got the ball to him. 

Not sure which to believe. I guess we will find out this season. 

Considering he actually tracks and charts all routes over an 8 game sample, I’d say he’s probably more accurate than anyone. 

Edit: I think people noting him getting open are using anecdotal evidence, which even in as low of a success rate as 40 percent can become skewed when you don’t focus on WRs for a living like Harmon. Anyone can watch and say "he’s getting open,” but it doesn’t have the context of comparing it to WRs league-wide.  

Jalen Reagor can have a Percy Harvin-like impact for the team, hopefully without the injuries.  Get him in open space and let him fly.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I read that somewhere as well

What time frame are we looking at if that is the case, 3-4 weeks?

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Hopefully he sticks around covering the Eagles, even if he can be annoying at times. 

This guy is really good with the draft, too.

Archived