EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, Ace Nova said:

Ward's route running has been among the best on the team.

That bar is so low it’s laying on the ground.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ward's route running has been among the best on the team.

That’s about the faintest praise possible. 

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

I'm sure when players are deliberately hitting him as hard as they can his teenager build will hold up just fine.

Doesn’t help when he’s getting inaccurate passes 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

That’s about the faintest praise possible. 

Doesn't "running good routes" usually include "crisp" cuts and "quickness'? 

19 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Go Quez!!

I sure as hell hope Sirianni knows what a WR looks like because Quez in one, Reagor, not so much.

With little to no playing time last year I thought Quez was the best WR on the team.

5 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Doesn't "running good routes" usually include "crisp" cuts and "quickness'? 

He’s a fair route runner. He creates no separation because he isn’t particularly quick. 

People are too down on Reagor.  He is going to be an impact player for the team this year and going forward.  

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

He’s a fair route runner. He creates no separation because he isn’t particularly quick. 

I respectfully disagree.  He's usually been "quick enough" on his routes to create enough separation, especially underneath, for him to be "open".  Hence the reason he's been our "leading" receiver.   If you want to say he needs to do a better job with YAC or making players "miss" after the catch, then maybe you have a point.  But to say that he's "an average" route runner who isn't "quick"....well, his performance and statistics over the past 2 seasons state otherwise. 

I have zero confidence that Reagor will amount to absolutely anything. Howie should be shot into the sun for that pick. Anyone who really thought he was a first round player should not be an NFL GM.

I respectfully disagree.  He's usually been "quick enough" on his routes to create enough separation, especially underneath, for him to be "open".  Hence the reason he's been our "leading" receiver.   If you want to say he needs to do a better job with YAC or making players "miss" after the catch, then maybe you have a point.  But to say that he's "an average" route runner who isn't "quick"....well, his performance and statistics over the past 2 seasons state otherwise. 

The 673 total career yards?

5 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

All of that is a long winded way of saying he’s not all that quick. 

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The 673 total career yards?

He didn't start until the end of the 2019 season but when he did, was a key factor in helping this team to the playoffs.

And last year, as tough as a season as it was for the team, he hailed in 53 receptions, for 419 yards and 6 TD's.   Which based on the circumstances, was actually one of the "highlights:" of the passing game last year. 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

All of that is a long winded way of saying he’s not quick. 

He is quick on his routes.  Is that better? 

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Seriously. We have ample evidence of him not creating separation, but a drill with an assistant coach is supposed to prove something. That’s almost as bad as JWill using Goedert’s brain fart during the conditioning test as an ITYS. 

It never ceases to amaze me the grief that some players get.   Ward has been a WR now for three years.  Mailata has been an OT for three years.  Tyree Jackson is in his first year as a TE.  There are learning curves and there is improvement.  Ward puts the work in and is said to be a great teammate.  I don’t expect him to be Smith but I also think that if some of his (and Smith’s) work ethic rubs off on Reagor, known for taking plays off at TCU, whereas Ward’s ankle was so f’d up his senior year he had trouble walking at times but he balled through it, that’s good for the Eagles.  Get those fundamentals down, play every play, concentrate on catching the ball, then let the athleticism take over.

We are so willing to give Mailata the benefit of learning but not others. I keep seeing that Mailata is some sort of uber athlete.  He’s big and strong but he is no Lane Johnson or Brandon Brooks.  They are amazing athletes for their size.  Mailata gives up seven sacks.  He ran a 5.12 forty and his splits fit with that.  He benched 22 reps.  His short shuttle was a 4.67.   Yet people want to hand him the LT job.   Meanwhile we have Dillard, who some want run out of time.  In college he played in a sack happy offense.  As a sophomore, he gave up seven sacks but only 2 as a junior and one as a senior with the highest pass blocking score in the country.  He ran. 4.96 forty, no Lane Johnson but who is.  He ran a 4.40 short shuttle.  He put up 24 reps.   Now Mailata was 345, which with his back history, is why he was asked to drop weight. Dillard was 315 at the Combine.  But Mailata has worked hard to learn so he gets accolades but Ward does the same and he gets destroyed for running the routes he was asked to and catching the ball.  

Now me,  I want Mailata to succeed.  I want Ward to keep getting better.  I want Davion Taylor to take a step this year.  I want Quez’s work this offseason to pay off.  I want Scott to continue to improve.  I hope all those players make the team a little better.  Hell, I want JJAW to prove me wrong.  

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

He didn't start until the end of the 2019 season but when he did, was a key factor in helping this team to the playoffs.

And last year, as tough as a season as it was for the team, he hailed in 53 receptions, for 419 yards and 6 TD's.   Which bases on the circumstances, was actually one of the "highlights:" of the passing game last year. 

He averages 33 yards per start….. 

34 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Let’s see how the OL looks on Tuesday when the pads go on. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He averages 33 yards per start….. 

You were around last season, right? 

Anyway, I'm not convincing his "haters" in this blog of anything.  Hopefully he'll be able to do that on his own this year.  

You were around last season, right? 

Anyway, I'm not convincing his "haters" in this blog of anything.  Hopefully he'll be able to do that on his own this year.  

You’re the one who claimed he had the statistics to prove it, not me 

20 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Yet he catches the ball against NFL DBs with no separation.  Must have great size and amazing strength. 

47 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

For you Ward haters, he makes such a quick cut there that the coach swatting at the ball missed him.  Look at that step in the turn from Smith. That’s YAC because that creates further separation.   I don’t miss the days of Maclin turning a circle after catching the ball to change direction.

Nothing against Ward but I'm hoping the WR depth chart is Smith, Reagor, Watkins, Fulgham then Ward.

He's a nice 3rd, 4th, 5th option but if he's one of the team leaders in yards or receptions then we probably arent going to be very good.

I’m in the don’t pay RBs camp but that’s a pretty good deal for the Browns 

35 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Yup always has been fast, I think if he can get better as a pass blocker he has just as good a shot as any RB to make the roster, plus his ability as a returner can't hurt.

Archived