Carson Wentz and the Colts pick - officially #16 (topic closed)

EazyEaglez

5 hours ago, AberdeenEagle said:

Remember being so hyped for that season, back in those days over here you only ever got 1 game a week on C4 and actually got Eagles v Packers opening game! 

and then that happened...... 😢

Defense was incredible that year, just imagine what their numbers could have been if there was anything even approaching a competent offense keeping the ball away from opponents.  

Not only did Cunningham go down, but broken down McMahon went down too. They had to play Pat Ryan, Jeff Kemp, and Brad Goebel. The quarterback position was a nightmare  and they still somehow won ten games. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"INDIANAPOLIS -- The new franchise quarterback missing a critical week of practice as he recovers from a foot injury that knocked him out for three weeks is not "a distraction.” 

The Pro Bowl center unable to continue to build himself back into football shape after missing three weeks with a hyper-extended elbow is not "a distraction.” 

The starting wide receiver missing a week’s worth of practice after the star wide receiver seriously injured his neck is not a "distraction.” 

These are real problems the Indianapolis Colts are facing as a direct result of their own players' choice not to vaccinate themselves for COVID-19. And if those players and others inside the locker room continue to make that choice, these consequences could just be the beginning of what will be a tumultuous 2021 season in Indianapolis.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2021/08/31/colts-players-missing-time-because-covid-protocols-problem/5668524001/

No big deal though. Everything will miraculously be okay once September hits and the Eagles will most assuredly get that first. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

They had to play Pat Ryan, Jeff Kemp, and Brad Goebel.

What a nightmare season that was. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not only did Cunningham go down, but broken down McMahon went down too. They had to play Pat Ryan, Jeff Kemp, and Brad Goebel. The quarterback position was a nightmare  and they still somehow won ten games. 

Didn't Hershel Walker take the first snap at QB right  after Cunningham went down or something like that? 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Didn't Hershel Walker take the first snap at QB right  after Cunningham went down or something like that? 

I don’t recall that. I was just looking at a video on that game, but it wasn’t the full game. I always thought that was one of the first plays in the game but it wasn’t, but it did seem like it was one of Randall’s first passes without getting sacked. McMahon eventually came in though. 

18 hours ago, Godfather said:

Do you really think this guy is going to play 75% of the snaps? I'm happy with a 2nd rd if it ends up being that

I personally don't worry about it.  If we get the 1st, great but not going to be upset if we don't.  The stats show he's played over 75% of snaps every regular season except 1, his season ending injuries have come toward the end of the season after he's already played enough snaps for the condition.  But, he's obviously very injury prone which is why even the Colts with the coach who likes him put a condition on it.

So it's just a nice bonus if we get the 1st of course, especially considering the draft pick package they gave Cleveland for him.    

12 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I personally don't worry about it.  If we get the 1st, great but not going to be upset if we don't.  The stats show he's played over 75% of snaps every regular season except 1, his season ending injuries have come toward the end of the season after he's already played enough snaps for the condition.  But, he's obviously very injury prone which is why even the Colts with the coach who likes him put a condition on it.

So it's just a nice bonus if we get the 1st of course, especially considering the draft pick package they gave Cleveland for him.    

You think if Wentz is playing well and he is healthy but the team goes off the rails for other reasons (covid, other key injuries) do you think colts management will have Reich sit Wentz to preserve the 1st rd pick?

If Wentz is stinking it up I think he sits but will be interesting if the team falters for other reasons 

16 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It may not seem like a big deal, but I think it’s important to consider Howie’s first round selections compared to his second round selections. Although many of his first round picks have also been quite questionable, they haven’t been as bad of letdowns as some of his second round choices. Something to consider. Also if Hurts is bad it could be a lot easier to make a move up to get a quarterback in the draft with three first instead of just two. 

5 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

You think if Wentz is playing well and he is healthy but the team goes off the rails for other reasons (covid, other key injuries) do you think colts management will have Reich sit Wentz to preserve the 1st rd pick?

If Wentz is stinking it up I think he sits but will be interesting if the team falters for other reasons 

Everyone in the NFL always says they play to win, and doing something like that is how you lose a job or at least lose the respect of the locker room.  The message that sends to the rest of the team is that getting a 1st instead of a 2nd is more important to us than trying to help you win.  What motivation would any player have at that point?  Plus, teams have injuries and still manage to win, next man up.  The Eagles won the SB with backups at several positions.  And respect around the league.  Think about the Eagles pulling Hurts in the final game and how they were criticized for helping the WFT and hurting the Giants.

Another reason:  they traded for him to see if he can be their future QB, and benching him doesn't allow them to further evaluate him.  He can't prove that he can stay healthy if he's benched to spare a draft pick.  They want to see what he can do, can he last a full season, does he bounce back and return to form. 

So in your scenario, if they have other injuries/COVID and are missing players but say Wentz is playing really well.  I don't think Reich pulls him for a draft pick because he knows that Carson needs a confidence building season.  If he's playing well and gets benched, it's obviously for a draft pick and again the message that sends to Carson and the rest of the team is terrible.

9 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

If the Colts are out of the playoffs picture, but can preserve that first they will absolutely sit Wentz. They owe him nothing and they would rather keep that first (and draft his replacement) especially if they get 2020 Carson. Frankly 2021 Carson isn’t off to a good start. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

It may not seem like a big deal, but I think it’s important to consider Howie’s first round selections compared to his second round selections. Although many of his first round picks have also been quite questionable, they haven’t been as bad of letdowns as some of his second round choices. Something to consider. Also if Hurts is bad it could be a lot easier to make a move up to get a quarterback in the draft with three first instead of just two. 

I completely agree with you on Howie's drafting.  Which is why I don't like him trading down out of the 1st to collect extra picks, or move further back in the 1st.  The higher the pick, the less chance he screws it up.  And his 2nd and 3rd round picks are pretty awful.

I'm just talking about the trade conditions.  Right now it's a 2nd. that's the trade.  The condition allows it to become a 1st if he meets the snap count so it's a bonus.  It's not something I'm concerned about.  We have enough issues on this team.  Plus, at least they already have two 1st round picks so that's a good situation to begin with.

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Everyone in the NFL always says they play to win, and doing something like that is how you lose a job or at least lose the respect of the locker room.  The message that sends to the rest of the team is that getting a 1st instead of a 2nd is more important to us than trying to help you win.  What motivation would any player have at that point?  Plus, teams have injuries and still manage to win, next man up.  The Eagles won the SB with backups at several positions.  And respect around the league.  Think about the Eagles pulling Hurts in the final game and how they were criticized for helping the WFT and hurting the Giants.

Another reason:  they traded for him to see if he can be their future QB, and benching him doesn't allow them to further evaluate him.  He can't prove that he can stay healthy if he's benched to spare a draft pick.  They want to see what he can do, can he last a full season, does he bounce back and return to form. 

So in your scenario, if they have other injuries/COVID and are missing players but say Wentz is playing really well.  I don't think Reich pulls him for a draft pick because he knows that Carson needs a confidence building season.  If he's playing well and gets benched, it's obviously for a draft pick and again the message that sends to Carson and the rest of the team is terrible.

The Eagles clearly sat Hurts last the game of the year to preserve a pick rather than to win. There is also history of the Eagles sitting players in the past to prevent them from hitting certain incentives in the contracts for pay raises. I’m guessing the Eagles aren’t the only team to have done that in the past. Teams also sit players near the end of the season all the time. So if by chance the Colts have their playoff hope locked up, but can preserve their oft-injured quarterback and that 1st why would they play him? Conversely if Carson stunk up the joint for weeks, and the Colts are going nowhere why keep playing him? 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If the Colts are out of the playoffs picture, but can preserve that first they will absolutely sit Wentz. They owe him nothing and they would rather keep that first (and draft his replacement) especially if they get 2020 Carson. Frankly 2021 Carson isn’t off to a good start. 

You sure are fixated on Wentz. Would you rather he's still on the team or have the second rounder?

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I completely agree with you on Howie's drafting.  Which is why I don't like him trading down out of the 1st to collect extra picks, or move further back in the 1st.  The higher the pick, the less chance he screws it up.  And his 2nd and 3rd round picks are pretty awful.

I'm just talking about the trade conditions.  Right now it's a 2nd. that's the trade.  The condition allows it to become a 1st if he meets the snap count so it's a bonus.  It's not something I'm concerned about.  We have enough issues on this team.  Plus, at least they already have two 1st round picks so that's a good situation to begin with.

I will state I do think 4 picks in the first two rounds is still very good trade value. Even if the Eagles do get the first I seriously doubt Howie makes three picks. He would likely flip at least one of them for future firsts later. 

1 minute ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

You sure are fixated on Wentz. Would you rather he's still on the team or have the second rounder?

I’d rather have the first rounder, but I’d accept the second, and I don’t care about Wentz, but I do enjoy riling up all of those Wentz apologists. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’d rather have the first rounder, but I’d accept the second, and I don’t care about Wentz, but I do enjoy riling up all of those Wentz apologists. 

Guess everybody needs their obsessions.....

3 minutes ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

Guess everybody needs their obsessions.....

Some people are obsessed with trashing a quarterback after only 4 games. I’m obsessed with exposing them for it. 🤷‍♂️Some guys are obsessed with defending Wentz by attack other posters. To each his own.

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles clearly sat Hurts last the game of the year to preserve a pick rather than to win. There is also history of the Eagles sitting players in the past to prevent them from hitting certain incentives in the contracts for pay raises. I’m guessing the Eagles aren’t the only team to have done that in the past. Teams also sit players near the end of the season all the time. So if by chance the Colts have their playoff hope locked up, but can preserve their oft-injured quarterback and that 1st why would they play him? Conversely if Carson stunk up the joint for weeks, and the Colts are going nowhere why keep playing him? 

If they are in the playoffs that means he only need 70% in which case he can afford to miss more games. So he can miss about about 4 games the way it stands now. I doubt they will be in a position to sit him 4 games to end the season if they are in playoff contention

24 minutes ago, NOTW said:

22 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think the landscape of their division is similar to ours. So let's say they're .500 at Thanksgiving I still think they'd be alive in that division. 

So best for us would be for Carson to play and Tennessee to edge them for the division late. I don't think that division sends multiple teams to the playoffs 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

If they are in the playoffs that means he only need 70% in which case he can afford to miss more games. So he can miss about about 4 games the way it stands now. I doubt they will be in a position to sit him 4 games to end the season if they are in playoff contention

I certainly think (due to their division) it is far less likely they can sit him late cause they have things locked up, but I certainly believe it is possible they’re out of it in enough time to sit Wentz in order to preserve the pick. Not to mention because he’s not vaccinated the chances he misses games due to trace contact is also significantly higher. Between injuries, Covid, and poor play do I think it’s possible Carson misses the 70 or 75% mark? Considering he’s already missed significant time due to Covid and injury and the season hasn’t even started yes. 

9 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

I think the landscape of their division is similar to ours. So let's say they're .500 at Thanksgiving I still think they'd be alive in that division. 

So best for us would be for Carson to play and Tennessee to edge them for the division late. I don't think that division sends multiple teams to the playoffs 

There might be a better chance for them to get in with 3 wild card teams now. Last season their division had three double digit win teams. The best case scenario from the Eagles perspective is Carson to play well enough not be benched, but still miss the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

No.  Walker didn't join the Eagles until 1992.  He was still in Minnesota in 1991.

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

There might be a better chance for them to get in with 3 wild card teams now. Last season their division had three double digit win teams. The best case scenario from the Eagles perspective is Carson to play well enough not be benched, but still miss the playoffs. 

Cant be...J'ville picked 1 and Houston was terrible. Tennessee has been consistent recently but I think enough AFC teams can jump (dolphins, chargers, maybe pats, afc north is solid minus cincy) to limit them to 1 playoff team.

10 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

No.  Walker didn't join the Eagles until 1992.  He was still in Minnesota in 1991.

Thank you, I looked it  up then but didn't feel like correcting myself lol. 

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Last season their division had three double digit win teams.

That was the AFC North.  Houston and Jacksonville won 5 combined games.

Archived