Carson Wentz and the Colts pick - officially #16 (topic closed)

EazyEaglez

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That was the AFC North.  Houston and Jacksonville won 5 combined games.

My bad that’s right this was a two team division. It’s probably still a two team division.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Cant be...J'ville picked 1 and Houston was terrible. Tennessee has been consistent recently but I think enough AFC teams can jump (dolphins, chargers, maybe pats, afc north is solid minus cincy) to limit them to 1 playoff team.

Yeah I got it mixed up. I was thinking about the AFC North. I still think the best case scenario for the Eagles is for the Colts to feel like they’re in it for as long as possible, but still miss the playoffs. The extra wildcard and game will keep some teams in the mix for longer than they probably should. 

55 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles clearly sat Hurts last the game of the year to preserve a pick rather than to win. There is also history of the Eagles sitting players in the past to prevent them from hitting certain incentives in the contracts for pay raises. I’m guessing the Eagles aren’t the only team to have done that in the past. Teams also sit players near the end of the season all the time. So if by chance the Colts have their playoff hope locked up, but can preserve their oft-injured quarterback and that 1st why would they play him? Conversely if Carson stunk up the joint for weeks, and the Colts are going nowhere why keep playing him? 

All valid points.  Of course, the Eagles got a lot of criticism for benching Hurts.  Not every team wants that kind of reputation.  This is a Reich/Wentz reunion, and Wentz was playing at a very high level before he left.  They have a close relationship.  I don't think Reich will care as much about a 1st round pick vs 2nd round, if he's trying to invest in Carson to get him back to a high level.  Carson playing like he did in 2016-2017 (and staying healthy) could mean big success for the Colts.  Now, if he's playing terrible then sure you can bench him and blame the bad play and avoid accusations of trying to get the 1st round pick.  But if he's playing well?  I think Reich wants to build back his confidence and invest in him.  

56 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I will state I do think 4 picks in the first two rounds is still very good trade value. Even if the Eagles do get the first I seriously doubt Howie makes three picks. He would likely flip at least one of them for future firsts later. 

Definitely.  I wish he would just use those high picks because they chances improve he will net some talent.  Instead, he'll end up trading for a player or trading to move up.

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

All valid points.  Of course, the Eagles got a lot of criticism for benching Hurts.  Not every team wants that kind of reputation.  This is a Reich/Wentz reunion, and Wentz was playing at a very high level before he left.  They have a close relationship.  I don't think Reich will care as much about a 1st round pick vs 2nd round, if he's trying to invest in Carson to get him back to a high level.  Carson playing like he did in 2016-2017 (and staying healthy) could mean big success for the Colts.  Now, if he's playing terrible then sure you can bench him and blame the bad play and avoid accusations of trying to get the 1st round pick.  But if he's playing well?  I think Reich wants to build back his confidence and invest in him.  

If Wentz is playing well there is no way they can bench him unless their season or playoff position is locked up and they certainly would sit him. Overall I don’t think any coach really wants to play to lose so to speak, but I do think management does step in at times and ties the coaches hands. Of course if Carson is 2020 Carson after say 9-10 weeks and the Colts aren’t going anywhere with him under center I see no reason why they would keep playing him. 

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Definitely.  I wish he would just use those high picks because they chances improve he will net some talent.  Instead, he'll end up trading for a player or trading to move up.

I’d rather he’d just trade away the pick than move up unless Hurts proves he can’t play and the Eagles see a quarterback they like. Admittedly though I am not a fan of drafting a top 5 quarterback, because many of those guys in the past ten years haven’t panned out. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’d rather he’d just trade away the pick than move up unless Hurts proves he can’t play and the Eagles see a quarterback they like. Admittedly though I am not a fan of drafting a top 5 quarterback, because many of those guys in the past ten years haven’t panned out. 

It's also interesting around the league the changes that teams will make at QB, always chasing the shiny new object.  Rumors were Russell Wilson was on the trading block last year, Aaron Rodgers wanted out, and other teams have looked at making changes.  it's not the position it used to be with stability.

21 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It's also interesting around the league the changes that teams will make at QB, always chasing the shiny new object.  Rumors were Russell Wilson was on the trading block last year, Aaron Rodgers wanted out, and other teams have looked at making changes.  it's not the position it used to be with stability.

No no, I got into with someone on her last year cause he kept spreading BS about Wilson being in the trading block. I forget exactly how it went but, it ended up being some BS about something that happen a couple years before that and even that was some BS article that some guy was talking out of his ass. 

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

No no, I got into with someone on her last year cause he kept spreading BS about Wilson being in the trading block. I forget exactly how it went but, it ended up being some BS about something that happen a couple years before that and even that was some BS article that some guy was talking out of his ass. 

Well that's why I said rumors, I don't recall if there was any validity to it.  But there are teams around the league making changes at QB and some of the QBs that start out impressive in their first couple years don't always last.  I think teams are gun shy about QBs now and looking to always have options.

Just now, NOTW said:

Well that's why I said rumors, I don't recall if there was any validity to it.  But there are teams around the league making changes at QB and some of the QBs that start out impressive in their first couple years don't always last.  I think teams are gun shy about QBs now and looking to always have options.

I don't think there is a damn thing they can do but, the NFL really should try to get this QB situation under control.

I completely get they are the most important position in the game and they should be for the most part paid accordingly. However, there is just to much disparity between QB treatment pay ect compared to  everyone else including  the FO. 

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't think there is a damn thing they can do but, the NFL really should try to get this QB situation under control.

I completely get they are the most important position in the game and they should be for the most part paid accordingly. However, there is just to much disparity between QB treatment pay ect compared to  everyone else including  the FO. 

They could always try to be...

...a...

...QB factory!

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

They could always try to be...

...a...

...QB factory!

We need an angry emoji like button thingy for comments like these!  🤬😡🤬😡

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

We need an angry emoji like button thingy for comments like these!  🤬😡🤬😡

When they had Bradford, signed Chase Daniel and drafted Wentz Howie said they wanted to be a QB University, with coaches that had all been former QBs or QBs coaches.

Now QB factory.

What's next?  QB global corporation? 

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

When they had Bradford, signed Chase Daniel and drafted Wentz Howie said they wanted to be a QB University, with coaches that had all been former QBs or QBs coaches.

Now QB factory.

I think a conglomerate comes before global corp.

12 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Now QB factory.

I do know if they send some of them over seas we don't have to pay them as much!

22 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I do know if they send some of them over seas we don't have to pay them as much!

Ooh, offshore the QB talent to other countries.  Hmm.

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Ooh, offshore the QB talent to other countries.  Hmm.

Offshore, yup the American way! 

17 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Offshore, yup the American way! 

Don't tell Lurie, he'll see dollar signs for the international market.

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Don't tell Lurie, he'll see dollar signs for the international market.

Lol! Have to put up a wall so the other teams don't try to get in an steal our QBs! 

I don't even think of him anymore. What a total mess. We thought we finally had our franchise QB, then all the curse of Philly sheet happens. At least he DID get us 11 wins during the Super Bowl year. I guess that makes it worth it. But now- I avoid these Wentz headlines. I don't care anymore and moved on. 

16 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not only did Cunningham go down, but broken down McMahon went down too. They had to play Pat Ryan, Jeff Kemp, and Brad Goebel. The quarterback position was a nightmare  and they still somehow won ten games. 

Yup , if McMahon hadn't been so broken....  the Ryan and Goebel games were brutal, Kemp at least seemed to be able to complete a pass down the field occasionally.

Archived