Carson Wentz and the Colts pick - officially #16 (topic closed)

EazyEaglez

Just now, downundermike said:

If he was gonna be out 12 weeks, it made sense.  You make it sound like we wanted it closed over hurt feelings.  Now that the timeline is week 1, and the first is on the table, that means the thread should stay open.  Use some common sense.

All I wrote is you guys wanted to close the thread. You claimed you didn’t, but you did. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm sure someone on here or in the eagles universe will be tracking every single snap that effer plays lol. So we should know once he hits the 75% . 

Yeah I think I’ll let them tell me when he hits that 75% mark. When (if) he does then the thread should close there. 

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s not going to be completely over until the pick is finally given out. Once this is done and over with I will be happy. When it comes to Wentz all I care about is the pick, but I do get irked when I see people trash Hurts after playing 4 games, but those same people made endless excuses for Carson last year. I mean one guy actually wrote the Eagles have weapons and now no quarterback. It’s the same friggin weapons from last season. 😂

I'll be ok with Hurts if he cleans up the fumbling and the accuracy.... Those are usually 2 things that will follow you your entire career, and at the alarming rate Hurts was coughing up the ball I am definitely concerned. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'll be ok with Hurts if he cleans up the fumbling and the accuracy.... Those are usually 2 things that will follow you your entire career, and at the alarming rate Hurts was coughing up the ball I am definitely concerned. 

I’m not that concerned about his accuracy. I think he can improve in that area as long as he works on it, but I am concerned with his fumbling and his over desire to run with the ball. Again though some of these things need to be considered with the talent he was playing with around him, his coach and his lame duck status, and the fact he was a rookie. With Hurts a saw some good things, and some things I didn’t really like and his fumbling was one of them. Fumbling was also an issue of Carson’s too and that gives me concern, because Carson never fixed that problem. 

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m not that concerned about his accuracy. I think he can improve in that area as long as he works on it, but I am concerned with his fumbling and his over desire to run with the ball. Again though some of these things need to be considered with the talent he was playing with around him, his coach and his lame duck status, and the fact he was a rookie. With Hurts a saw some good things, and some things I didn’t really like and his fumbling was one of them. Fumbling was also an issue of Carson’s too and that gives me concern, because Carson never fixed that problem. 

Yeah I'm not worried about the reading the offense or interceptions or even the taking off and running a bit more then necessary.

Those things come with experience, the fumbles and accuracy though? Protecting the football is #1 priority and has been since the very first pair of cleats these guys put on. 

Accuracy can be improved but, that usually is another thing that comes with you throughout you career with sometimes a slight increase 

12 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Hurts can take you so far in this league.  I doubt very much that he's the long term answer, but I do see him as a decent stop gap for a year or two.

3 minutes ago, Procus said:

Hurts can take you so far in this league.  I doubt very much that he's the long term answer, but I do see him as a decent stop gap for a year or two.

Where did the other guy take us? He was supposed to be the great one and the Eagles averaged 8 wins a year with him under center and no playoff wins. 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah I'm not worried about the reading the offense or interceptions or even the taking off and running a bit more then necessary.

Those things come with experience, the fumbles and accuracy though? Protecting the football is #1 priority and has been since the very first pair of cleats these guys put on. 

Accuracy can be improved but, that usually is another thing that comes with you throughout you career with sometimes a slight increase 

A lot of times accuracy comes or goes with footwork. I will state that in the little I have seen of Hurts he does have some potential with touch and I think he’s capable of putting the ball in some tight windows, but the fumbling is a concern. I also hope he can learn not to take too many hits outside the pocket when he decides to run. If he protects the football much better than he did as a rookie it will automatically be an improvement from all quarterback play from last season. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Where did the other guy take us? He was supposed to be the great one and the Eagles averaged 8 wins a year with him under center and no playoff wins. 🤷‍♂️

We had a crap D for a good deal of the time he was here.  We won this thing called the Super Bowl in 2017, and without him, we would never have obtained the home field advantage which propelled us to put us in the position to win the whole ball of wax.  Have you forgotten how he almost single handledly got us to the playoffs in 2019?

What Wentz did or did not do has no bearing on how to judge Hurts' performance.

1 minute ago, Procus said:

We had a crap D for a good deal of the time he was here.  We won this thing called the Super Bowl in 2017, and without him, we would never have obtained the home field advantage which propelled us to put us in the position to win the whole ball of wax.  Have you forgotten how he almost single handledly got us to the playoffs in 2019?

He can't grasp that simple concept.

19 minutes ago, Procus said:

First off regarding the Defense it’s the same guys. Hurts had the same coaches to deal with. We won the Super Bowl and Carson didn’t play one down in that game. Sure he helped that team get to home field, but that was clearly a very good football team as they won the Super Bowl with Nick Foles as their quarterback. A guy who can’t seem to win anywhere outside of Philly. 2019 and Wentz getting us to the playoffs? Beating three teams that all fired their coaches whose players literally quit on them. Frankly I’m more impressed with Foles coming in 2018 and leading the Eagles to the playoffs and winning an away game after Wentz went 5-6. You’re right Wentz has nothing to do with Hurts play, and if you told me Wentz was the greatest quarterback ever or even a bum after only 4 games then I would have thought your assessment was as idiotic then as I think you dopes are for judging Hurts after four games now. 

34 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You’re right Wentz has nothing to do with Hurts play, and if you told me Wentz was the greatest quarterback ever or even a bum after only 4 games then I would have thought your assessment was as idiotic then as I think you dopes are for judging Hurts after four games now. 

I don't see Hurts carrying the team on his back and advancing well into the playoffs.  That's an opinion, not a judgment.

That said, I like the way Hurts is carrying himself - certainly much better than Wentz did - and I would like nothing better than for Hurts to prove me wrong.

9 minutes ago, Procus said:

I don't see Hurts carrying the team on his back and advancing well into the playoffs.  That's an opinion, not a judgment.

That said, I like the way Hurts is carrying himself - certainly much better than Wentz did - and I would like nothing better than for Hurts to prove me wrong.

I don’t know if Hurts will be capable of doing such things. I’ve only watched him play in four games in a messed up covid season. All I know is Wentz was here for five years and he never once carried this team on his back through the playoffs. Hurts has played four games as a starter. Maybe he will lead the Eagles and maybe he won’t, but frankly it’s too soon to say, and I seriously doubt anyone who feels so convinced Hurts could never lead the Eagles to anything would have the same assessment of Wentz who’s also never carried the Eagles on his back and led them deep into to the playoffs and he had 68 career games to try unlike Hurts and 4.

16 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s not going to be completely over until the pick is finally given out. Once this is done and over with I will be happy. When it comes to Wentz all I care about is the pick, but I do get irked when I see people trash Hurts after playing 4 games, but those same people made endless excuses for Carson last year. I mean one guy actually wrote the Eagles have weapons and now no quarterback. It’s the same friggin weapons from last season. 😂

DeVonta Smith was on the team last year? I musta missed that.

16 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

You do realize that as poor as the weapons looked last year, the bigger issue was the OL, right?   We'll see what the weapons can do with (hopefully) something better than a patch work OL in front of the QB.

17 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Russell Wilson should be the poster child for how to run/scramble in the NFL.  Any QB with mobility should just watch hours of his film.  He extends plays but when he takes off, anyone gets near him he goes down or out of bounds almost never letting them touch him.  I think he does this not only to save his health but to frustrate the living hell out of defenders.  

2 hours ago, NYEagle said:

Russell Wilson should be the poster child for how to run/scramble in the NFL.  Any QB with mobility should just watch hours of his film.  He extends plays but when he takes off, anyone gets near him he goes down or out of bounds almost never letting them touch him.  I think he does this not only to save his health but to frustrate the living hell out of defenders.  

He has been sacked more then any other QB since 1970... I prefer whoever our QB is not to watch his film. When he breaks the poket sure, he gets down or gets out of bounds but, dude still gets lit up a ton

2 hours ago, NYEagle said:

Wilson plays a smart quarterback and would be a good player for Hurts to emulate. To me a much bigger problem than accuracy is turnovers. If Hurts leads the tram to a three and out it’s frustrating but at least they get to punt the ball and force the other team to drive down the field. Turnovers flip fields, stall drives, and generally make points a lot easier for the other team. Turnovers are killers. McNabb and his worm burners were frustrating, but he didn’t kill us with bad turnovers. Turnovers are one of the keys to winning and losing. 

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He has been sacked more then any other QB since 1970... I prefer whoever our QB is not to watch his film. When he breaks the poket sure, he gets down or gets out of bounds but, dude still gets lit up a ton

Aaron Rodgers has had more than his fair of sacks too. That’s more related to the league and it’s obsession with throwing the ball so much. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Aaron Rodgers has had more than his fair of sacks too. That’s more related to the league and it’s obsession with throwing the ball so much. 

That too but, guys that can extend plays by getting out of the pocket or scrambling within the pocket usually take more hits and sacks. The 2 times Rodgers effed his collarbone was him effing around in the pocket to long. 

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You do realize that as poor as the weapons looked last year, the bigger issue was the OL, right?   We'll see what the weapons can do with (hopefully) something better than a patch work OL in front of the QB.

Wentz and Hurts dealt with the same crappy lines and weapons. People made excuses for months about Wentz and now those same people condemn Hurts for working with the same pile of crap. One is a five year vet and one was a rookie. Bottom line let’s see what Hurts can do with a chance. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That too but, guys that can extend plays by getting out of the pocket or scrambling within the pocket usually take more hits and sacks. The 2 times Rodgers effed his collarbone was him effing around in the pocket to long. 

Players tend to get hurt and you don’t really know when it will happen. Cunningham tore his knee up in the pocket. Carson Palmer and Brady did too. Even running quarterbacks can prevent themselves from taking bad hits. Wilson has never missed a game his entire career. 

25 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Players tend to get hurt and you don’t really know when it will happen. Cunningham tore his knee up in the pocket. Carson Palmer and Brady did too. Even running quarterbacks can prevent themselves from taking bad hits. Wilson has never missed a game his entire career. 

I know, that wasn't the point though. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Wentz and Hurts dealt with the same crappy lines and weapons. People made excuses for months about Wentz and now those same people condemn Hurts for working with the same pile of crap. One is a five year vet and one was a rookie. Bottom line let’s see what Hurts can do with a chance. 

You seem to struggle to separate any conversation from having to come back to a comparison of Hurts and Wentz.   The OL was the biggest reason for the struggles of the team.  14 combinations in 16 games, I think that's what it ended up being.   Guys like Driscoll, throw in cold Game 1.  Herbig played almost all year.  Opeta got a shot.  Broken down Peters.  Pryor played far more than he should have.  Jamon Brown even got on the field to adjust his gloves.  And Mailata got his first extended playing time... ever.  

but, somehow, you made this about Wentz vs. Hurts again.   Well done.  

24 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You seem to struggle to separate any conversation from having to come back to a comparison of Hurts and Wentz.   The OL was the biggest reason for the struggles of the team.  14 combinations in 16 games, I think that's what it ended up being.   Guys like Driscoll, throw in cold Game 1.  Herbig played almost all year.  Opeta got a shot.  Broken down Peters.  Pryor played far more than he should have.  Jamon Brown even got on the field to adjust his gloves.  And Mailata got his first extended playing time... ever.  

but, somehow, you made this about Wentz vs. Hurts again.   Well done.  

He's obsessed. Brings him up more than anyone on this board and it's not even close. 

Archived